Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

greatn posted:

Man of Steel is better than any Marvel studios film.

Don't troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

HIJK posted:

Steve Rogers is always right because he's always on the side of freedom. Tony Stark is the frightened reactionary trying to get control of an uncontrollable situation.

I'm sure Tony will have good points but will bungle his execution, as per usual for his character and Marvel's flailing attempts to make shades of moral gray.

His entire arc from Iron Man 2 (you can't have my suits, government) to Civil War (on the side of government disenfranchising others, since he is already out publicly) is a hilariously accurate depiction of a modern conservative.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

net cafe scandal posted:

I noticed his tie was red in one scene - The Republican color. Can't have been a coincidence.

Let's not make eye contact.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Pablo Gigante posted:

I hope it's at least as good as BvS because that movie was great.

I wish BvS had jokes like this one...

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Pablo Gigante posted:

BvS had jokes though

Sorry, I meant funny ones.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Turn your monitor on.

This post is the only clever thing associated with Zack Snyder's work.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Levity.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
That piece of "news" makes no sense. Why pay for a huge star when lower-profile actresses will do just as well? A female superhero will sell just as well as a male one will. Captain Marvel is pretty much unheard of to people like me, but so was Ant-Man and the Guardians of the Galaxy. The latter made gigantic piles of cash and the former made very good bank.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Wheeee posted:

Well Snyder's still making Justice League, so expect another good movie that you think is bad because it's not garishly cartoonish enough.

But enough about Civil War...

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

TetsuoTW posted:

Wasn't the debunking basically "that isn't how time works"? As in, "we already had these pickups (reshoots?) planned before that other movie even came out, how could it be a reaction to something that hadn't happened yet?"

Also, when did "grimdark," the Desirable Tone For Taking Comics Seriously, become "dour," the Undesirable Bad Way To Do Movies?

People are not really bothered by the tone of DC's movies. They are bothered by the nonsensical characterizations and boring plots. They talk about how dour they are because that is the biggest, most palpable difference between Marvel's films (which they enjoy) and DC's films. If the films were well-written, no one would care about their relatively darker tone.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Those suits are hilariously bad. Picturing them doing their karate poses in them...

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Burkion posted:

WWI was kind of worse than almost any war before it though.

And she may not have been around for those- if they go by her origins, she gets involved in the world of men because of Steve Trevor.

Steve likely dies as well because WWI was a *lovely* war.

The Civil War was horrific. Far worse than WWI.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Danger posted:

Huh what? Did you mistype? Saying casualties of WWI dwarf those of the Civil War is an understatement. More people died in just the Battle of Somme than almost all of the US Civil War.

That is not the only metric. The Civil War had a unique mixture of firearms and tactics better suited for melee combat. That, combined with surgical practices that resembled carpentry more than modern surgery, and you have a recipe for a horrifying spectacle.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

ungulateman posted:

There's probably a cheap shot in there somewhere but I am going to give Judakel the benefit of the doubt and assume he's stupid rather than racist. Like, Gallipoli, one of the smaller and less-disastrous campaigns of WW1, had more than half as many casualties as the entire Civil War.

The Civil War was still lovely and terrible but I don't see what metric you can measure it on that makes it worse than WW1.

Familiarize yourself with the particulars of the Civil War, not just the body count.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

achillesforever6 posted:

This is just reminding me that Marvel hasn't gotten on the boat of getting Herc and Ares into the MCU and that makes me sad :(

They barely know how to handle Thor. Those films are consistently dull. Fantasy sci-fi like Thor seems to escape them for the time being.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Ferrinus posted:

I'mma let you finish, but

Did you get a chance to rewatch MoS yet?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Ferrinus posted:

Yes, but I'm still waiting for you to answer me in the other thread.

If you rewatched it, the film answered it for me.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Batman is a reckless idiot in BvS. All brawn.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Kurzon posted:

It's not that he's recklessly violent, it's that Luthor somehow knows his identity and plays him like a harp. This is not supposed to happen to Batman. Batman is one of the smartest people in the DCU, and his field is being the guy who figures out the villain's real plans. He's the World's Greatest Detective.

He is both reckless and an idiot.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The trick with the reviewers who end up on Rotten Tomatoes is that you can achieve identical results by just taking any random idiot and giving them a paycheque and an editor.

Like go on the bus and ask the nearest person what they think about Jared Leto in Suicide Squad trailer, and you will gain as much insight.

In aggregate it is far more damning, thus the site.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

MrFlibble posted:

If you're being entertained by a movie why would you notice the editing? You'd be caught up in the story / visuals / score / whatever it is you like in a movie.

You should watch Raging Bull.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Can someone remind me what the good superhero movies are then? Because I'm pretty sure this thread hates each individual one.

The Dark Knight and Civil War are both good movies.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

LGD posted:

Because they were genuinely convinced/hoped it was going to be a good movie based on marketing and a pre-existing attachment to the characters/comics/comic universe? Plenty of them also thought it was good. Just fewer than thought that in the case of the Marvel films, something that can be seen in critical reviews/box office results/etc. This isn't a "more money = better than" thing, it's a "we have pretty solid evidence that these movies have genuinely disappointed a lot of their intended audience" thing, and slagging the competition or making up bizarre theories about how the "Marvel formula" has poisoned audience expectations in such a way that people cannot see the virtues of the superior product placed before them is just daft.

This sounds like a delightfully post-hoc way to cover-up for your blunder.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

seravid posted:

Robotman v Batman

Robotman v Lois

Robotman v Lex

Robotman v Perry

You just proved his point. Cavill is mechanical and the depth of his performance can be captured in screenshots. Try doing that with a great actor.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You could literally do that with any great actor, you dope.

You can't, you moron. Not Brando, not a young De Niro, not Clift, not Day-Lewis.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Oh man, imagine if you could capture the essence of Brando...in pictures!

You can't capture the depth of Terry Malloy in still frames. The "essence of Brando" is a completely different thing and utterly meaningless. Why reply only to reveal your poor reading comprehension?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Burkion posted:

Just to remind everyone, Judy is the poor mans troll who may not realize he is a troll.

Do not pay him much attention for he likes to say blatantly wrong and stupid things

Can you remember things you've written two pages ago yet?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Basebf555 posted:

The amount of iconic still photos that have been taken of Pacino or DeNiro or Day-Lewis are endless, I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Clearly you do not know what I am talking about, since I am referring to performances. Look at the post above yours. It is a still frame of De Niro in Taxi Driver. An iconic image, but does it tell you much about the character? Of course not! In the picture you see what looks like an arrogant Bickle, but that is only a small part of the multi-dimensional performance that De Niro gave us. Travis is also shy, unassuming, vulnerable, etc.

Cavill's Superman, and most Supermen, are silly characters with little to no depth.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Burkion posted:

The fact that you still cling to that is adorable

And also utterly irrelevant to the fact that what you're saying is utterly stupid. Any good actor you can capture their acting ability through pictures.

All movies are are pictures that move. You take a still shot you take a piece of the performance.

I know these are basic, grade school level thoughts, but I am confident you can grasp them with time and effort

I never argued that you are not taking part of a "masterpiece" when you take a still frame from a film. I was pretty clear on what I said: A still imagine cannot capture the full depth of a performance, and if it does, it is a one-dimensional, lovely performance. I am the stupid one, though. Why do you make me repeat myself?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Basebf555 posted:

Cavill is playing a character with less depth than DeNiro's Travis Bickle, wow, how insightful.

You're saying that the character itself is silly and has no depth, and then using that as some sort of proof that Cavill can't act?

No, reread my posts.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Burkion posted:

You're shifting goals and you keep repeating yourself to make it seem that the goals are the same.

People stated that Henry could not emote or act, so several shots, notably several, were given to show the range he has.

An image that sums up a performance isn't a good sign

But that's never what was happening.

But then you don't care about that, just whatever inane defense you can muster up to keep up the illusion that you have some vain flailing point of any kind of validity. So you keep falling onto different definitions and you keep digging into a new hill you plant yourself on once the old one collapses. That's about your lot in life it seems. Keep dancing on the quicksand and maybe you'll find some solid ground.

I am not shifting goals. I claimed that if one or a handful of still images can capture the depth of a performance, then you have are dealing with a bad actor. Someone thought a handful of still images captured the range of emotions in Cavill's Superman. If you didn't have such a vendetta, you might've realized it is a pretty simple point.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Basebf555 posted:

I think there are times when you can capture a great performance in a single still photograph, but I think a lot of credit for that would also to go a writer and director for creating such an all-encompassing moment.

The first example that comes to mind is towards the end of Aguirre: The Wrath of God, when Kinski picks up the monkey and looks out into the jungle with disgust.

Would you feel the same way if you had not seen the film and superimposed the fullness of the performance per the film onto that still image?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Goalpost shift emphasized.

The depth of a performance is entirely composed of the range of emotions an actor brings to it.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

What an odd claim.

Can you elaborate?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Among other things, performances include the selection of and transition between displays of emotion to convey complex internal thoughts or conflicting states. You can see this in the scenes between Clark and Lois. Henry Cavill tends to beam out one particular emotion with each line, and he's got perfectly fine range for this. Amy Adams frequently moves between different emotions, sometimes just in the buildup to a line, to convey what she's going through in thinking through her response. She gives a deeper performance, but not one built out of conveying a greater range of emotion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUrryh9kh5U

Transitioning between displays of emotion to convey complex internal thoughts or conflicting states is all part of conveying a range of emotions. Cavill fails to transition in a smooth and subtle way.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Grendels Dad posted:

Ever wondered if the problem wasn't with other posters' reading comprehension, but with you being amazingly lovely at making points?

No, I am usually very clear when I am not joking. Sometimes there is a need to define terms because other people may not be used to them, but that is about it.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

What is used in "conveying a range" is not the range itself. It's completely unsurprising you'd decide to conflate the two, but it's not particularly convincing.

There is no conflating. Human beings do not switch between emotions mechanically, and we are talking about a human character's range of emotions. A performance is entirely composed of this range.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

You couldn't have picked four worse examples. All four are and were obviously very attentive to body language and facial expressions because they're actors!

But the full depth of their great performances cannot be captured in one or a handful of still images, as I have already argued in posts you did not read.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Grendels Dad posted:

If you have to say "No, that's not what I said! Read my post again!" every two posts, your posts are lovely my friend.

Did you understand them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Sir Kodiak posted:

It is composed of this range, but the nature of the composition is not built out of the extent of the range but also the choices made of expression within it. A painting is composed of a range of color, but the painting is not defined just by its range, but also how that range of color is applied to a canvas to form a picture.

Now you're talking about choices, which are not part of what a performance is composed of, but instead are conscious decisions made by the actor which we are not privy to in any direct way. These meta-processes are kept private by the actor. We only witness the range itself, which is the full extent of the range and the transitions between emotions.

• Locked thread