Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Interesting how the guy at the beginning is complaining about what if Superman wanted to kidnap the president, then later Enchantress is shown appearing to be phasing through a wall with what looks like the presidential seal on it.

computer parts posted:

He appears to have something in his mouth:

Apparently Batman is using branded gear again in Suicide Squad. Gotta get that trademarked symbol on that underwater breathing apparatus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The MSJ posted:

Batman loves his gear. Look at how he sulks when he cannot bring his suit to Lex's party in BvS.

I wonder if he breaks in and destroys warehouses of merchandise using the bat symbol that he hasn't OKd.

Snowman_McK posted:

As someone who was alive in 2007 and on the internet, you are wrong. It was a mixture of him not looking like a comic book character, being a comic actor rather than a serious one, having a history of alcoholism and not knowing who he was (remember that this was his first high profile gig in years)

Anyone holding a history of substance abuse against the actor set to play Tony Stark isn't actually a comic fan.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Is it confirmed yet when Suicide Squad takes place? I cant tell if its immediately after BvS or between MoS and BvS. Id assume its after unless they went with a non sequential release timeline.

Given the tense on Superman and the president, it probably happens after BvS.

quote:

Edit: actually given Wonder Woman and a few others like Aquaman will at least be partially a prequel Im assuming DC isnt necessarily doing their timeline based on when each movie is released.

Wonder Woman is using a framing devise with her in the modern age, probably similar to Captain America. I don't think they've said anything definite about Aquaman yet.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TFRazorsaw posted:

That trailer sure does look like it's trying its best to make you think it's like GoTG.

Why so literal, Batman?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TFRazorsaw posted:

who would that be, the one who gets redressed in front of a crowd of men or the one who another character asks if they have a boyfriend?

There was a lady in that crowd gawkin with the fellas.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Also the movie has already passed the Bechdel Test because Harley and Katana talk about what to drink and there isn't a man in the frame when it happens.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You'd really be best off if you just stop caring about spoilers. They don't actually affect anything, unless the big twist was the entirety of the movie. In which case the movie was bad anyway and you're not losing anything.

Edit: Like, does Empire Strikes back suck because you knew that Vader was Luke's father before you ever even heard of the movie?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I actually saw this live in the theater and I can honestly say that you millennials got robbed.

Somebody screamed.

Yeah, I've seen the movie. I'd cut Luke some slack though, he did just get his hand cut off.

Guy A. Person posted:

Hahah goddamn. I mean obviously there is stuff like the Sixth Sense's twist, but I can't see people freaking out at any reveal in a serialized movie.

It reminds me of poo poo like hearing how people vomited and passed out during the Exorcist. Have us millenials just evolved like a protective detachment from media that prevents us from being affected by movies like that?

It's because cinema has moved on beyond something like The Exorcist. The crazy things that drove you parents to piss their pants in the theater permeated the culture and became part of the baseline. It's like how movies are cut much faster now than years and years ago.

I remember my friend and I rented The Exorcist because it was supposed to be the scariest movie ever, and were somewhat bored with it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

WampaLord posted:

Okay, fair enough, but it did lead to that effect of "Now I'm just waiting for the part where it happens" and as soon as the scene started I felt a little bit sadder that I was spoiled on it.

It is hilarious to me that Mark Hamill got top billing for a less than one minute cameo where he doesn't speak.

This seems like a weird way to watch movies. When you watched Batman vs Superman were you distracted by waiting for the part where Doomsday showed up?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, actually, that happens to me a lot. If I see something in a trailer then it changes how I watch a film. if someone appears to die and I haven't seen a scene with them already then I know they're not dead and so-on. I don't particularly care because it was my decision to watch the trailer but it's not hard to have those things in your head.

Interesting. Maybe I'm weird but my brain just doesn't do that. Spoilers are largely treated by my brain the same way as my knowledge that the protagonist is going to win.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snowman_McK posted:

Good sports movies can do that. I had this reaction to 'Goon' over the weekend. Which is an excellent sports movie.

Sports in general seem to have the ability to force your brain into a pre-historic state. Almost like it's just your "monkey brain" parts that are engaged. After all, name any horrible, terrible, what bums, team and there will be legions of fans who bleed the team colors and are convinced every game that their team can totally win. Actually playing them is even more so, I remember crying when we lost the state championship back in high school, and I was riding that bench as hard as anyone ever has.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheKingofSprings posted:

The thing I might be most excited about with the Infinity Gauntlet stuff is Thanos ripping Vision's stone out and possibly killing him

Just as long as he doesn't gently caress up them cardigans.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kurzon posted:

I never go into Suicide Squad and I don't understand the logic of its premise. The SS is this government black ops program composed of supervillains who do black ops missions for the government in exchange for having their records expunged. How can the government do that? What if Deadshot, an assassin with multiple convictions, is caught trying murder someone after being released from the Suicide Squad? Won't that lead to awkward questions? Won't people ask "hey, how come this convicted murderer is walking free with no record?"

I'm pretty sure their records aren't expunged. Instead they take black ops missions with bombs in their heads with the pay off of time off their sentences. So if a super villain with 52 life sentences/on death row does a bunch of missions they get a commuted sentence. So when they go and get the poo poo beat out of them by Batman for the hundredth time and Gotham P.D. is pulling up their records they'll all be there.

Of course part of the idea behind the Suicide Squad is that they're going on suicide missions, which means there's only a small chance of actual commutation coming about.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

oh that actually makes more sense given the trailer. who's Mads Mikkelson playing then?

I think they still haven't officially said who he's playing.

Probably another Dark Dimension part being given to a 616 actor though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Then again they also recast the Yellow Peril character The Mandarin as Guy Pearce and R'as al Ghul (orginally born an Asian/Arabic nomad in the comics) as Liam Neeson.

R'as was both an Irishman and a Japanese man.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ImpAtom posted:

Nobody ever remembers that Bane got whitewashed as hell too.

It's because he has such a lovely voice.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Slowpoke! posted:

He took what looked like a point-blank shotgun blast to the back of the head at one point and was only briefly stunned. In his dream sequence when Superman pulls off his mask, it looks pretty flimsy. Even if it wasn't, you'd think he would have been knocked out from the force of a bullet to the back of the head.

They showed Alfred messing around with the metal helmet underneath the black rubber while he was talking to Bruce, and had him comment on making some more adjustments. That's what he was wearing when he was getting shot and hit and stuff.

Also it's possible that dark Apocalypse future Superman was just crushing his reinforced cowl like rubber with his super strength.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So is T'Challa wearing vibranium lined shoes or something in that clip? When he does his kick and his parkour jump there's a metallic mechanical sound. Though his first kick sounds oddly like the sound of kicking one of those red dodge balls inside a gym.

Vintersorg posted:

That is a garbage fight scene. Nothing looks like it has any impact - just dancing around. Winter Soldier gets elbowed in the loving head multiple times but he's fine? Come on.

He's a semi-super soldier. Experimented on by both Hydra double Nazi's in WWII and Soviets/Hydra double Capitalists during the Cold War. While Steve Rogers is the only person to get the full and perfected Super Soldier serum, shitloads of people got knock offs and imperfect versions. Bucky is one of those guys.

Black Widow throwing 'bows at his head isn't much of a worry without her electro-shock enhancements.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Phylodox posted:

Except that part of it is that he's afraid that any progeny he had might inherit his Hulkism, too.

At least Hulk is totally cool with it. Shame about his wife and their baby though. Though it appears the baby did get better.

Unrelatedly, I wonder if Thor 3 results in Asguard floating above the New Mexico desert. That was pretty fun as I remember.

Planet Hulks and New Mexican Asguards, that's what I want.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm sorry but Asgard was in Broxton, Oklahoma, not New Mexico. :spergin:

Edit: drat you, wordfilter!

Huh. Man, that sucks for the Asgardians, trapped in Oklahoma. Sorry, I don't want that at all.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Guy A. Person posted:

So obviously still terrible and offensive but my theory is it might have been a request in order to better sell movies in foreign markets? I can't otherwise see any reason for ever thinking about this, but then again people are awful so

I want to think so, but it just doesn't make any drat sense.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that some studio executive had overheard their kid talking about white washing and wanted to try and fix the problem. So they went and spent a few million dollars to see if their millions of dollars white lady could be made to look Asian. And then accounting got wind of it and pointed out that they could have gotten Olivia Munn with a nudity clause for way less.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crisco Kid posted:

Except even that is awkward because Nobu is basically a non-character, then dies, and Madame Gao is speaking Mandarin... in what is obviously not her native dialect. SIMPLE TASK. You can literally, in real life, find any spoken language in New York if you give a drat. Much of what makes Daredevil so exceptional is that it's obviously shot in real NY neighborhoods, but they couldn't find a Mandarin speaker? So much of it could have been way better than it is.

Given that the character isn't even from China, I'm not sure why not being a native Mandarin speaker makes a difference. Hell, if Arnold can always just be some guy from totally America, I don't see why anyone needs to speak perfect diction foreign languages.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

If Fin Fang Foom is not played by an actor who is a natural born Asian and biologically is a dragon then Marvel headquarters should be burned to the ground.

I don't think you should be shaming Asian otherkin who just happen to have not been born biologically dragon.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Neo Rasa posted:

In the comics and movies (even though the 1995 one is set in Hong Kong) she's explicitly a Japanese woman and the cybernetic body she inhabits at that point is explicitly "Japanese generic female default #243" whatever so she can blend into a crowd if need be and people won't immediately suspect the massive amount of police/military grade cybernetic augmentation she has received.

But even the original movie is a huge departure from the comics since it focuses on boobs and "deep" cyberpunk monologues while the comics focus on boobs, "deep" cyberpunk monologues, and lesbian orgies.

Doesn't the Major tend to do a decent amount of body hopping since she's fully cyberized and isn't actually anything more than a ghost? It would be kind of cool to see several different people playing the Major and emphasizing that her ScarJo body isn't much different than having a really nice car that you like to drive.

Isn't Aramaki about the only person who doesn't refer to Kusanagi as just "Major"?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It would be kind of funny to go with the Western generality of using first names and just have everyone refer to her as Motoko, perhaps the least used of her names and aliases. Really though, the least they can do is use her name prominently enough to at least strongly hint that, being Japanese, the Scarlett Johansson skin isn't "real".

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rhyno posted:

They can just scotch tape her eyelids. Close enough.

You've got to do something with her front teeth too, though. Maybe glue some chiclets on there to make them look like buck teeth?

That attempt at CGI could be interesting in the future though. Pay a big name actor a licensing fee, hire an unknown to do the role and see if they catch on, and tell the public that it's totally A List actor playing the part using the CGI program that totally exists.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Davros1 posted:

Couldn't they just do a Cloud Atlas?

You're still paying full price for the A List actor then. Using fake CGI to bluff a scale actor/actress into the lead while paying an A List actor perhaps voice over money is going to save millions. Then if your scale actor resonates with the public you can just pay them until they get too big and then start over with them playing the part of the original A list actor.

You just have to do it for a few successful movies and then you can leak the truth to the public and then never have to worry about paying A List actors A List money ever again.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rhyno posted:

They should recast Michelle Yeoh as Black Widow and then use cgi to make her look caucasian.

Can we use CGI to trick Perlmutter into thinking that a line of Black Widow toys are actually just Howeard The Duck toys?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The MSJ posted:

Who is hotter, Peter's Aunt or Superman's mom?

Also we don't need Michelle Yeoh when Ming-na Wen is already part of the MCU. She even fought Mark Dacascos in the most recent AoS episode.

What was the secret ingredient?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Corek posted:

Barely anyone lived on the planet in those days

I believe the estimate is that it wasn't until about 1800 that the total world population ever even reached 1 billion. Lack of medical, sanitation, and agricultural technology all combined to make it so that the population grew very slowly.

Aside from the theoretical Toba Bottleneck, and the subsequent bounce back, total world population probably hovered around 170-180 million for a few millennia, until around 1000 C.E. when total population started rising. It stayed at a very low slope increase over time until the Modern Era when it got a huge bump, followed by the Industrial Revolution where population growth rate took off. Here's a fun little map that'll show population growth from 1 C.E. on.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I do like rear end in a top hat Appocalypse though.

EN SABAH NUR: Oh, I assure you, Christopher, that everyone else is wrong. Your estimates that the Earth is 9,300 miles shorter in circumstance are accurate, I totally double checked your math.

EN SABAH NUR: *Chugs the last of the beer on the Mayflower* Now what will you do, Christopher Jones? [to one of his horsemen]Am I doomed to struggle with Christophers until the end of time?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

greatn posted:

Did Apocalypse make the Jews build the pyramids?

Of course not. The Jews didn't build the pyramids. He hired Egyptian laborers and artisans like any sane despotic ruler looking to have giant stone buildings that don't fall over.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The MSJ posted:

After the two Avengers movies, Marvel is not even trying to hide it anymore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC0tTI8QhQU

Jesus Christ woman, pay attention to the loving road and pull over for a squad of black cars running their police lights. You almost got your family killed in a superhuman throw down.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Superman's rebirth is somehow connected to Darkseid, and includes Darkseid attempting to corrupt him in some sort of astral plane. Lois will be important to this subplot.

Darkseid will have some sort of ability to force the League members to handle their own dark sides and go through psychological trials. It appears to be capacity for good remains a theme of the movie, with the League members all being shown to be dysfunctional, angry people that could have tipped over to the dark side easily if circumstances were a little different.

Go full Dune and have Superman commune with the genetic memories of his people. While communing with the Kryptonian projenitors of the Codex it becomes clear that several of them followed Darkseid and are trying to get Kal-El to follow him to. Darkseid corrupted many of the ancient Kryptonian astronauts, and that's why their civilization withdrew to their home planet and turned inward.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Neo Rasa posted:

The core of Darkseid being evil stemming from him being all about total personal isolation while he still hypocritically rolls around conquering places because ???? would actually make a really good foil to these past two movie's takes on Superman.

I actually meant that Krypton cut off the colonies and space was abandoned due to Darkseid tainting the colonies. Because if you've got Kryptonians loving around in the yellow sunlight and you're looking to rule everything, it's probably smart to go ahead and try and coopt them or isolate them away from you.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Burkion posted:

So there's no way Peter is going to have a secret identity right?

Unless he covertly meets with Tony all the time they talk, everyone in the world knows Tony Stark is Iron Man. "I wonder why Iron Man keeps visiting Peter Parker's house?" "I don't know, why does Iron Man hang out with Spider-Man now?"

That was actually how it worked for a while in the comics. Peter was publicly working as Tony Stark's assistant. This was after he was a science teacher for awhile.

So Peter Parker was known to live in Stak Tower, which coincidentally had Spider-Man showing up all the time. Then Civil War happened, then Pete made a deal with the Devil, and now whatever.

I wonder if every single member of the Avengers is gonna check out Aunt May. Damnit, Thor, that's my Aunt. Put a goddamn shirt on!

Gyges fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 21, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Does there being an ancient mutant called Apocalypse, who may be a deity, louse up the whole discrimination metaphor?

I look forward to the eventual reading of the film that uses this to show just how entrenched the homosexual agenda is.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

rakovsky maybe posted:

Eh, if Professor X is MLK and Magneto is Malcolm X, Apocalypse is basically the black Israelite street preachers who yell at passerbys. Except with like matter control and such.

In the analogy, wouldn't Nat Turner or, given his proclivity to say he's different than the other mutants, John Brown be more appropriate?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I just click agree without reading the EULA.

Double check, are you required to play Dr. Bong or The Walrus in Infinity War?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Maarak posted:

Which Civil Rights leader is Xorn?

Denzel Washington

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gotta agree with Al Madrigal. Though it's really not filling me with hope that it appears they're using the same level of horrible arguments for registration from the comic.

I wonder if she realized when she signed on for Iron Man that her character would largely be relegated to viral marketing attempts.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Paolomania posted:

Does comics Hawkeye ever just say "gently caress it" and break out the sniper rifle to bullseye people from several miles away?

Yes. It's really not good though because it's ultimate Hawkeye.

• Locked thread