Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The name "Captain Marvel" has a long weird legal history. As I remember, DC owns the character, but not the trademark for "Captain Marvel." They can refer to him as "Captain Marvel" within the contents of the books as much as they want. Which is why they've been using "SHAZAM!" on the covers dating back to the 70s when they were merely licensing the character. The New 52 change seems to have been made to simplify it for everyone. The wizard these days is still named Shazam, but he's usually just referred to as "The Wizard" or "The Wizard Shazam."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

The wizard is Shazam, the superhero is Shazam's Monster

I got a good chuckle.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Venom is basically Dark Spider-Man. A Venom movie without any association to Spider-Man would be like making uh... a Shadow the Hedgehog movie without Sonic in it.

Actually that would be hilarious.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

People are so quick to forget that MoS was not grimdark.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

90s psychological thrillers are the new 70s political thrillers.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Since WB cast Simmons as Gordon, maybe Sony will cast Gary Oldman as J.J. Jameson?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Whoever wins, the cars will lose.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

justdan posted:

Yeah, I hate when Superheroes in Superhero Movies actually, you know, save people!

Then it's a good thing that Superman blew up the World Engine, saving the lives every man, woman, and dog on Earth. That was pretty super, man.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm excited for Civil War 3.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Someone needs to make a documentary about whatever societal trauma lead to tentacle rape as a cultural meme.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I also can't stress enough how he saved the lives of every man, woman, and dog on Earth by blowing up the World Engine.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wouldn't say no to Danny McBride Lobo, but he's clearly Guy Gardner.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Holy crap. I had no idea that any human being could not like The Lego Movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of Gitmo, Iron Man's underwater prison in the Civil War trailer appropriately looks like a supervillain lair.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The effect was so good I was convinced it was stop motion my initial viewing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BvS was great and I am happy to see more sequels in the same good style.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I hope the villain is a massive baboon wearing a Prussian helmet with "MILITARISM" written on it.

They're saving evil apes for The Flash!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A penny farthing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One of those two untitled films better be Blue and Gold. :colbert:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I always viewed Penguin as the missing link between plain mobsters to the colorful villains. But yeah, he wouldn't have fit in the Nolanverse since the main villains were metaphors for ideologies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How soon we forget Burgess Meredith.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Only if the night club scene is filmed similar to:

The scene in TDK where Batman throws Eric Roberts off a balcony always reminds me of this.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

This is a contrast, not an inconsistency.

This is correct. In the previous movie, we see Batman...well, begin. We see how he learns how to fight, we see how he gets his car, how he made his costume, ect.

We don't get that with Joker. He is a complete mystery, perhaps even to himself. We don't get Joker's hows, but we get his whys

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

People really missed the point of those Begins fight scenes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

It was part of a general backlash about shaky cam because of Michael Bay. I couldn't helieve how many people were saying they cold couldn't follow the action at all.

Transformers wouldn't come out for another two years.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That you were supposed to be as disoriented as Batman's foes, presumably.

Basically. The fights were from their point of view. They weren't set up to show a man in a rubber suit fighting people. They're shot to give the feeling of being hunted by a strange creature.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Counterpoint: the first Bane fight is awesome, well-lit, well-shot, has good foley work, distinct character moments, callbacks to prior films, and incorporates both the participants' state of mind and personalities.

Shakeycam wouldn't have worked with this fight, or any of the other fights in TDKR because the movie was about demystifying Batman and Bruce's disillusionment.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

I doubt Bale could move at all in the Bat suits, so even simple choreography must suck.
I'm not sure if Affleck could move his neck at all in this, but he sure moved fast in the wharehouse fight.

He was able to. I think they said they invented a new fabric to make the cowl or something. It must have been the most comfortable Batsuit of them all.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wasn't he the guy who dressed up incognito for the Iron Man premiere?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The MCU is approaching 10 years old. It's gonna be real weird to hear people say "they grew up on them." :corsair:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Suicide Squad: Out of the Shadows

Suicide Squad: Out of Their Cells Tour

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh no, loving.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It better feature some Hawkwind or something.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm looking forward to the clip Paul Rudd brings to Conan.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They'll never top Sean Connery's Highlander character.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dafoe you didn't. :nyd:

I hope they get James Franco next to continue the Spider-Man alum casting. :haw:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Electromax posted:

Flash/ReverseFlash and Aquaman/OceanMaster could be the pretty standard 'intro film includes guy with the same powers' that superhero movies love. Dunno anything about Aqua though (and Flash either really, never seen the show), what does an Aquaman movie look like? Is it all underwater? Does he talk to humans on the surface? Does he stab Lex's sub camera because he's a feral ocean dweller who doesn't understand technology?

...ok, Wiki suggests he's just a regular dude for the most part. Huh, I always assumed he was a magical merman or something.

Watch the Throne of Atlantis animated movie to get a good idea what the character is like. There's a lot of monarch drama and ocean fantasy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's also been less than five years since the previous Batman trilogy ended. People are well aware what Batman is usually like.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Could we replace Hal Jordan with Guy Gardner played by Danny McBride?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I haven't seen No Country For Old Men despite having the bluray, but the Coen Bros are masters of black humor.

The problem with quippiness is that they are used to mask their films' lack of sincerity.

• Locked thread