Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It gives me endless glee that the GOP is somehow coalescing around Cruz and Drumpf. They've promised these assholes the moon and the stars for the last 40 goddamn years with no intention of delivering because they know it would put them in the weeds for multiple generations. Now the fuckers they strung along this whole time are reminding the GOP why people like them were political outcasts to begin with. Peggy goddamn Noonan is on CBS crying into her loving beer about how we're watching the GOP shatter before our eyes. Maybe the talk about Obama being a tetradimensional chessmaster was correct the whole time and him managing to goad them into ripping their own limbs off was the plan all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Potato Salad posted:

So, it looks like I need to swallow voting neoliberal. Well gently caress.

Gut instincts: is HRC going to eat poo poo for email shenanigans, will the FBI/DSS let her go setting a dangerous precedent, or some third option?

:lol: sorry about your emotional investment not paying off but if you thought the email server was a thing you're hilariously mistaken.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VirtualStranger posted:

There must have been some kind of mistake. The election maps on WaPo and NYT both showed him as the projected winner but they've been switched back now.

It's a conspiracy between the blacks who don't know what's best for them and the bilderbergers of bohemian grove who own all the media and banks and are just twisting reality to hand the primary to hillary

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Thankfully white people don't have nearly the same demographic sway as they did in 1980.

Not for lack of trying.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

He said some nice things about Biden after Beau died :unsmith:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

USPOL March - "We can't do the Rubio thing anymore."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gradenko_2000 posted:

I hope this isn't too off-topic, but I think we've lost the old US History thread.

What was Barry Goldwater's platform that was so ... extremist or purely ideological?

States' rights once again being used to greenlight horrific racism.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I don't think it's just MBA programs. Nobody has ever said "My favorite part of working in corporate America is all the immoral backstabbing weasels." Honestly if they all got fired it probably wouldn't even increase our workloads all that much.

One of the neat side effects of the slash-and-burn management style is that it is hurting the AML talent pool in the financial sector and the banks/FinCEN-regulated-not-banks are getting hit with huge fines because they tried treating their FIU like a drat call center.

A massive online payments processor (you probably have used it for online auctions) is probably going to eat another huge penalty in the near future over failures caused by rampant willful blindness because of metrics-based evaluation of their regulatory organization. Turns out you can't starve tenured investigators out and peg bonuses to the number of system alerts the remaining department staff closes out because it just ends up putting money in their pockets as a reward for cutting corners.

E: something like this except for failure to adequately address domestic money laundering activity rather than failure to act on OFAC SDN hits.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 4, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

computer parts posted:

Oh I'm well aware, it's a tragedy that needs to be fixed instead of just going "gently caress the South" endlessly.

Fun fact: according to the following data - http://kff.org/other/state-indicator/poverty-rate-by-raceethnicity/ - the state with the lowest black poverty is Connecticut, at 15%. Now you would think the states with the worst poverty ranking would be in the Mississippi region, right? In Mississippi, the white poverty rate - which is the third highest in the nation for whites - is 16%.

In other words, the best case scenario for black people in the US is roughly equivalent to the worst case scenario for white people.

One of the biggest non-economic reasons the slavers in the South defended slavery was the social stability they viewed in basically having someone they could always look down on.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

McAlister posted:

I usually phone post on my commute but I'll fire up the web browser for this one. So his bill is here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/senate-bill/1782/text

I spent a night reading through it before the town hall focused on healthcare. There are a lot of individual problems but the executive summary of the biggest problems would be that it destroys every current socialized medicine program we have by co-opting their funds for itself and prohibiting them from providing medical care, completely restructures medicare such that the resulting program is a block grant to the states program rather than proper medicare ( Medicare In Name Only if you will ), and is riddled with legislative loopholes that would let malicious legislators and jurists easily dismantle it or misuse it. So it tears down working programs serving tens of millions of people and replaces it with fragile bullshit. And even beyond its weakness to malice, berniecare has some serious problems just in its own workability. Bernie wrote this with no co-sponsors and personally read it aloud before the senate twice from beginning to end so even if his staff did a lot of the writing he has reviewed it without spotting any of these problems.

Here is one of the suicide switches/bad policies Bernie installed:

So this is a limit to how much funding can be increased each year, but no limit to how much it can be decreased. The way he set up the people who decide funding levels is a council of 6 with one new presidential appointee per year such that on the fourth year of President Cruz a majority of the council would be appointed by Cruz. Zero out the budget and you've just killed the program as a completely constitutional executive action. The following Dem president can't fix it because *increasing* the budget is restricted. Bernie has a clause in the section outlining the council of 6 that forbids the appointment of a majority from the same political party which ... I guess would prevent this if it was in any way enforceable? "Mr Scalia are you currently a republican?" "No sir!" "Carry On" And what the actual gently caress does GDP have to do with the population's medical needs? What if there was a plague and the GDP shrank even though medical costs spiked?

Here is another

These provisions in combination are devastating. While D.C. remains in control of what services must be covered, the individual states get to set the reimbursement rate for each service within the state. And participating providers must except that rate as their only payment. So if you were to, I dunno, set all the rates below the cost to provide then no provider in your state would be able to afford to participate in Berniecare so your Berniecare card ( the one you gave up your SCHIP, tricare, etc cards to get ) would be useless everywhere. This also opens up all sorts of room for state level fuckery with medical care that is predominantly used by people they don't like. Say for example that you are ok with fertility assistance, but have a deep objection to birth control. If you set the schedule for birth control to $0.01 then participating providers would be forced to either provide it at a loss or stop providing it at all. If my local Walgreens stops even carrying birth control then I can't buy it even with my own money.

It also appears to be missing the provisions in real medicare that let you go to a doctor that doesn't accept medicare, get their bill, then file the claim to medicare for reimbursement at the medicare rate. This makes sense as one of his main goals is zero patient-out-of-pocket expenditures for medical care and if it were permitted then providers could simply all refuse it making self-filing the way you have to use it while wriggling out of his cost controls. So a provider is either in or out, period. This takes the problem Medicare already has with regards to finding a doctor who will accept it and makes it significantly worse.

Furthermore, the provision fails to do even what it is ostensibly trying to do - reflect regional cost of living in reimbursement rates. The differences in COLA between urban and rural areas of the same state are generally greater than the difference in average COLA between a state and its neighbors.

Am I absolutely sure it dismantles existing programs?

Here is the clause repealing the ACA exchanges:

Here is the clause taking their money:

The swiss system, by comparison, is a lot more like the ACA than like this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Switzerland). And he likes the swiss system a lot. The point at which he declared Berniecare to be "rubbish" being when he hit my annotation noting that you could not go to any doctor you wanted. From wikipedia on the swiss system, "The insured person has full freedom of choice among the recognised healthcare providers competent to treat their condition (in his region) on the understanding that the costs are covered by the insurance up to the level of the official tariff." You want to go to Dr. Hausenpheper instead of the public hospital even though you have to pay a little out of pocket too since the public coverage isn't quite enough for that private doctor? You can! In Switzerland.

Now these were just the three problems that I think would resonate with the widest possible audience. There are many more provisions I could pick a bone with particularly with regards to its handling of prescription drug coverage such as allowing state officials to decline to support a specific variant provided they could tell Washington they were covering something they deemed functionally equivalent. It is impossible to decide, from the statehouse, what is functionally equivalent to what. An actual example I saw while working at a PBM ( a company that negotiates/frontloads rebates on drug prices that they take into account when Walgreens swipes your card so that you don't have to pay now and get rebated later ) was an Rx for a liquid version of a drug that was 50 times more expensive than the pill version. The patient had had throat cancer and was incapable of swallowing pills. She kept getting flagged with a Drug Utilization Review where the system went, "Um .. hey pharmacist, this ND11 is 50 times cheaper than that one ... are you sure you want this?" and the pharmacist had an override code to affirm that yep, totally sure. Took one phone call to get the override code and done. You can't do that with something cut from coverage by law.

It also imposes a 2.2% payroll tax on the very poor who currently receive care through the programs it removes - SCHIP, WIC, etc. Existing socialized medical programs are mostly funded through the general income tax which the very poor don't pay. And it drops an unfunded mandate on each state to cough up the money for any care that the block grant didn't cover - it estimates the grants would leave around 9% to the states to pay. In states with no income taxes it would have to raise that money through regressive sales taxes. This hits the impoverished in already empty pockets. 2.2% may not be much to you, [but 1/4th of Texas children faced periodic food insecurity last year](http://www.houstonfoodbank.org/hunger/hungerfood-insecurity/). And Texas is one of those "no income tax states". This is an easy fix - just make the first bracket start at 40K or so instead of $0. But what does it say about Bernie that it didn't occur to him to do that? Hillary has a much better grasp of desperate finances from all her volunteer and charity work with the impoverished and her tax plans are all very careful not to add to the burden on the poorest. Bernie is rather to free with new payroll taxes - he also has one to fund a parental leave program for example (http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/bernie-sanders-proposed-payroll-tax-hit/story?id=34546554). Its not that I don't completely support parental leave - I do! I just don't like his funding mechanism for it.

Dear god thats a wall of text. Enough for tonight.

That's a very good and informative wall of text, good job.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is McAuliffe popular for reasons beyond "man, gently caress that last guy?" I know he has a history of being kind of a slimy fucker in the national party scene but I haven't heard much news policy-wise in one direction or the other, which generally means someone is tolerated by the electorate but not much more.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

His Divine Shadow posted:

I dunno what the news in the US say but over here they've been reporting the fears of the zika virus wrt damaging fetuses has been overblown and it's actually a pesticide in the water that are causing babies with microcephaly. Which as i gather has been the main cause of fear of Zika.

Either way it sucks about all those babies :(

This is the kind of poo poo I fear will eventually happen in the US if Zika gets a foothold. Not necessarily the pesticides part but microcephaly being the new autism with regard to everything from vaccines to corn. The symptoms that manifest in adults aren't really specific and a lot of them could just be mistaken as a cold or maybe the flu. We'll end up with a bunch of these people acting like "I'VE BEEN HEALTHY EXCEPT FOR A COLD A WHILE BACK" and it'll turn out that the cold was Zika and they just didn't end up developing symptoms to a major degree.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 8, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Darth Walrus posted:

I guess this is another one of those cases where the state's two largest ethnic groups vote in different primaries, then?

It's Mississippi, the two largest ethnic groups get tried in different courts, with judges wearing very different robes.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I can't imagine Rubio sticking it out after tonight. There must be enormous pressure from the GOP for him to drop out so Cruz can try to topple Trump.

They're turning into a Cruz-Trump fight with a chance of a convention schism. How many ways can an aging white man sit on his own balls in one try?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Potato Salad posted:

How do you gently caress up by more than 21 points?

Do you just lie so the opposing voter base doesn't turn out?

Looking at the exit polls against the demographic weighting, it appears the 18-24 segment was under sampled. Now this isn't an unreasonable assumption - spring break is coming up and the "youth vote" isn't exactly one with a history of consistently going to the polls. Overall, turnout was historically high, and proportionally, the young segment was historically high too. In short, they blew the prediction because the paradigm didn't hold in this scenario. Can't fault them too much for that, but it's an interesting sign if it becomes a pattern since a) Bernie wins the young segment by a big margin and b) Democrats win the young segment by a big margin. If that turnout becomes a pattern it could mean an even bigger asswhooping than previously predicted is in the works for Trump and the GOP.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Slate Action posted:

If trump got 53% of white guys in the general he would lose in a landslide. He needs something like 70%.

Yeah I think an earlier post ran the numbers and said he needed 65% assuming all other groups went 95/5 against him. That may have been gender-inspecific though. I mean he probably won't do THAT poorly among non-whites but I imagine he needs at LEAST 60% to compete.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This version of the bill included ways for the milk to have some degree of oversight.

Might as well pasteurize the milk if you're going to homogenize your ideals like that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

This is getting whey out of control.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Not to interrupt Malkchat, but is there anything to SuperTuesday 2: 2sday being Trump's "waterloo", or is it all just more GOP desperation via political columnists?

More GOP desperation. The map is at this point stacked against the not-trumps and the hopes of convention shenanigans gets smaller with each state that falls to Trump. They want to be able to beat him in Ohio and Florida but he's going to win FL and is probably leading in OH too. He's been telling the press that he can seal the nomination if he wins those states to knock out Rufio and Kasich, which means he's been telling his spite-filled slit trench of a support base that they can get another poke in at the " establishment."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:stonk:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Boing posted:

I'm a buck-toothed Englishman so I apologise for not knowing this, but could someone explain how your Senate works? I get that the House of Representatives is like our House of Commons, with candidates standing for their party across the 400-ish constituencies grouped by population, and when we say the Republicans control the House that means they have a majority of the seats. But I thought the Senate always had 100 senators, one from each party for each state, so what does it mean for the Senate to be "Republican-controlled"?

Pretty much my entire understanding of the US political system comes from House of Cards. It's still pretty weird to me that you can have the Democrat party running the country but be constantly hosed by the Republican-controlled House, although in retrospect I now wish we had something like that.

It's not one from each party, they're elected at large by each state so states with large proportions of rurals will elect two republican senators while states with more people living in civilized areas tend to elect two Democrats.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Munkeymon posted:

Welp there goes me thinking NE was just slightly better set up from the beginning.

If it makes you feel better, it is more representative of acreage than constituents, otherwise fully half of the legislature would come from within ~50 miles of the Missouri river.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

How much has Trump received in donations versus personal funding?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Long-form video of Obama pointing out that the GOP most certainly poo poo their bed all by themselves.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lemming posted:

Hi def video making Obama look old as fuk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnvUUauFJ98

*8 years of this poo poo*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8tN4at-DGE

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DemeaninDemon posted:

Acceptable loses as it's Florida.

Unfortunately the solidly lovely part of Florida is primarily inland and the gulf coast. Not that there aren't poop enclaves along the Atlantic coast, but a lot of the larger/older cities have been pretty socially progressive due to their early status as safe zones for what amounts to LGBT internally displaced persons whose lives would be in danger in most other places (at the time - it's only some places now).

And Key West is a wonderful goofy place that doesn't deserve to fall into the sea either :smith:

Boon posted:

While I was in Germany, I was thoroughly impressed at how much some progressive minded individuals I'd met absolutely detested the Turks.

Like on an ethnic level? I mean, I'm not happy with the actions of the Turkish government (wrt Kurds/Syria) and depending on how I'm asked I might be like "yeah, gently caress those assholes."

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 11, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Crabtree posted:

Florida is also one of the largest parts of the beef industry as its year long warm weather and plentiful feed and thus safe to let cows make more cows year round. Any loss of land in that area is an immediate hit to some of the east coast's food production, but hey. gently caress if Rubio cares about his own home turf.

The feed quality for those cows is absolute garbage, resulting in the beef being awful compared to the Midwest. I want to say that FL beef is the stuff that gets ground up and sold for fast food joints but I'm phone posting and can't validate that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

So what ever happened to trump's cadre of yoojahideen who were supposed to rough up protesters?

This is some cable street poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Has there been any research into quantifying the GOTV boost Obama received from Palin being on the other ticket? I imagine it was a comparative fart in a hurricane given the turnout, but I'd love to know if there's been any decent attempts at putting a number on it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Josh Lyman posted:

Lol your did is racist scum

You made this post with a new zealand accent.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Brown Menace posted:

This is one of those things which makes Trump more appealing.

I guess if you're the kind of person who longs for global economic collapse so you can finally be yourself.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yeah major airlines are desperate to move from a place with less than one snow day per year average to a place with a 1.25 months of average annual snow days

because airlines pack up each and every one of their planes and bring them home to headquarters every night.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jimbozig posted:

Exactly this. It's not important to know when precisely the French revolution occurred, but it is certainly relevant to know that it happened shortly after the American revolution to put it in context.

Also it's good to note the revolutions/attempted revolutions popping up across Europe in the generation or two after the Napoleonic wars in context of industrialization and post-enlightenment thought.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ceiling fan posted:

:stare:

This from a man bragging about the great deals he would get from Putin.

Actually, this is a good argument against :godwin: Trump. Hitler screwed over the Russians, not the other way around.

Yeah but the blowie he'd give Putin by gutting NATO would probably be pretty awful. I mean his hands are tiny, his face is all saggy, and he probably talks the whole thing up way too much.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"Ever since they showed up, all the little gadgets have been turning on, the last few days have been really exciting"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Now that's what I call a close encounter

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

13 points nationwide is generally considered a landslide, but it's cool you left out the part where they talked about how many Republicans were embarrassed over Trump.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

No commonalities to '68 here at all.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah, 1964. That's when Johnson beat the poo poo out of that lunatic Goldwater.

Goldwater was an abrasive, aggressive rear end in a top hat who thought it was cool to be a shitheel about almost everything (almost - IIRC he was pretty early on the live-and-let-live train with regard to gay people. Not so much with racial minorities) and be obnoxious about it. The RNC that year was a shitshow with people straight up poo poo-talking the other blocs from the podium, and no matter who was nominated a good chunk of the party was pissed enough to stay home if not vote for Johnson just to get a poke in against their fucker. If this election has even the slightest hint of that going on at the convention, the general is going to be magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wasn't Brussels a sort of crossroads for a bunch of the Paris attackers, either as someone there acting as a coordinator or it being where they were prior to being in Paris?

• Locked thread