Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Alaois posted:

what is vegan cheese made of

Typically oil thickened with vegetable gum and starch, some kind of yeast based... thing, or a savory nut butter based sauce (can be good but really doesn't taste like cheese).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

cash crab posted:

I would, just because I have tasted that particular type of non-cheese and it's very good, although it doesn't taste much like cheese. It just tastes like some kind of indistinct, general umami... thing.

Yeah, cashew "cheese" tastes ok, it's just not much like cheese. Better than any other cheese substitute I've tasted though.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
It's udon noodles twirled together to resemble ice cream, as far as I can tell.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I think the corn and fish(?) patties are for people who basically can't chew. I remember reading an article about it quite a while ago, some company was making food paste reformed into shapes for people who have a hard time chewing/swallowing.

It's more appetizing and dignified for the patient than being given a bowl of slurry.

If you have to get hospitalized, do it at Beth Israel. Holy poo poo the food is great and real and tasty.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

subpar anachronism posted:

No actual picture, but this made me unhappy and a little sick just to read

Eh. It's dumb and orthorexic but it probably tastes ok. Not as good as real chocolate with cocoa butter and maybe some milk solids, but fine if you like bitter chocolate.

Though since it's coconut oil it shouldn't need to be frozen, it should be solid at room temp.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Yeah the 7-11 pizza is ok. Nothing amazing. Around the quality of a decent frozen pizza, but cooked for you in a very hot oven that crisps it up nicer than a regular oven.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"So the effective sample size they were working with was 15, and one dude with leprosy said he hunted and ate armadillos. Ideas for a headline?"

"EATING ARMADILLOS GIVES YOU LEPROSY" :thumbsup:

They are known to carry leprosy germs on their feet, so probably less the eating than the frequent handling of carcasses to butcher then.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Bats harbor a ridiculous number of zoonoses, don't handle them without PPE and knowledge of what you're doing.

Definitely don't eat them.

Australian Bat Lyssavirus, rabies, Ebola, Hendra/Nipah virus, Menangle virus, SARS/MERS...

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Eponine posted:

Pretty much every time there has been an Ebola outbreak, it can be traced to a food shortage that leads people to hunting and eating bats and/or passing said bats off as other meat in markets to make money.

The meat of apes as well.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Achernar posted:

I don't understand people who eat peanut butter M&Ms when you have Reese's Pieces right there.

Reeses pieces are great but sometimes you want chocolate and peanut butter in a low mess package, that's peanut butter m&ms.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

NewFatMike posted:

It feels like you're talking about Reese's Cups. Are you not a fan of E.T.?

Reeses pieces are peanut butter only, there's no chocolate in them. They're great when you want just the peanut butter.

And Hell no ET was a creepy gross sack of wrinkles that gave me nightmares.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Un chien andalou posted:

Can confirm. Have friend that drinks it straight up.

Also, Canadian here jealous of the M & M selection available outside my country. Birthday Cake? For real? I would buy a barrel.

The birthday cake ones kinda suck, it's just a hint of extra vanilla flavor.

Honey Nut is ok, haven't tried coffee or chili varieties.

The real top tier is peanut butter and almond.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Grandmaster.flv posted:

everybody is completely loving wrong.

this is a fat zac at RU Grill in New Brunswick, NJ

It's French fries, chicken fingers, and mozzarella sticks, enshrouded in two pizza slices.

gently caress you if that's not pizza sandwich

Would so hard.

Fat sandwiches are what I miss most from my time at RU

The other thing I miss is Jersey Subs on George street. Jersey Best on the crusty Italian loaf!

pienipple has a new favorite as of 15:18 on Jun 8, 2016

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

RareAcumen posted:

I didn't really know much of the details but talk about that Soylent garbage that was a thing a year or two back.

Constant mold problems because designer refuses to add a foil seal because it's "wasteful".

Also the whole cadmium and lead contamination thing.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The food at Beth Israel and Mount Sinai hospitals was really good, especially if you could go downstairs to the cafe where they had a grill, sushi bar, frozen yogurt machine, sandwich station, and self serve waffle makers.

Oddly enough the pizza was crap, very sweet sauce.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Samizdata posted:

Well, my stomach wakes up several hours out of the rest of me, so solid food is out until I am already at work and can't eat.

Oh. Wait.

WELCOME TO THE FUTURE!

There are better solutions from companies with actual quality control and consistency.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Those look like bull/ram testicles which are their own form of AFP

Milt or soft roe is basically fish testes.

Hard roe is eggs or mature ovaries full of eggs.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

EorayMel posted:

There is a "trend" going on where you let a yeast and bacteria amalgam fester and make tea out of it called kombucha. You start with a kombucha scoby or "mother."

Ugh, kombucha is so gross. It's just vinegar made from tea with the mother still in it.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

GrandpaPants posted:

The New York Post posted this article about how most of our food is fake. The guy's book seems to be getting a good amount of publicity considering how often I've heard about this today from different sources:

http://nypost.com/2016/07/10/the-truth-behind-how-were-scammed-into-eating-phony-food/

Similar article about Tampa Bay:
http://www.tampabay.com/projects/2016/food/farm-to-fable/restaurants/

Ah, more scaremongering horseshit.

Also Wagyu is not a cut, it's the breed of cattle used to produce Kobe beef. Their meat is crazy marbled and very nice.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The worst I've ever found in a free range egg was a slight streak of pink in an egg that had been missed a little too long. Getting them to a balut type stage takes effort.

And the occasional blood egg, those are always a little startling.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Panfilo posted:

Would biting into those gold leaf flakes give you a jolt like biting into tinfoil, if you had metal fillings in your teeth? Its making my jaw twitch just thinking about it.

No. It's so thin it doesn't feel like anything and really doesn't taste like anything either. Purely aesthetic.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Polyseme posted:

It's food and it's terrible, but direct all ire at the first can not the rest.

Content edit:

That looks like "smooth" food. It's heavily processed for people who have problems chewing and eating.

It basically all has the texture of instant mashed potatoes, making it very easy to eat, but it turns out people were happier with it molded to sorta look like food instead of identical scoops.

pienipple has a new favorite as of 05:38 on Oct 19, 2016

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Panfilo posted:

Yeah I've heard of Orthorexia. Being obsessed with eating a specific food, avoiding tons of types of foods, eating too much or not enough is probably interrelated.

It's basically pathological picky eating, the super set that other eating disorders belong to.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Self punishment for eating.

It's really sad.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

AlbieQuirky posted:

Taco truck? Halal chicken and rice? Hot pretzels? Roasted chestnuts (or other nuts)? Grilled cheese? Big Gay Ice Cream?

US street food is awesome and, at least in Boston/NY/SF/LA/DC, the city inspects the hell out of the trucks.

I'm :corsair: and have never once gotten food poisoning from street food in the US, though I've gotten it from white-tablecloth restaurants.

You are missing out, my friend.

Street food is loving good as hell. Except Nuts 4 Nuts they always taste burnt.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Dabir posted:

Are you telling us there's a fly that picks sheep's noses

Common pest of deer, too. Called deer nose bots.

Unlike some other types of bot fly they just eat mucus and irritate the deer to get sneezed out when they're ready to go. Gross but harmless.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Can you even buy a Snickers on WIC? I thought it had super strict rules about what you can purchase, like you can buy 2% milk, but not skim.

I wish your mom could do an A/T, that sounds like an interesting (albeit horribly depressing) job.

As it is done in my state, no you cannot buy a snickers. Sometimes people needed help with food that was unfamiliar (peanut butter, canned tuna) or easy to mix up (a quart of milk and a quart of cream were almost the same color carton at my store) but you can't buy things that aren't spelled out on the check.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I'm pretty sure it was Federal law you had to have that exact set

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
You're going to plate jail

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Yeah I mean dessert hummus sounds kind of weird and unnecessary but as long as those things taste like the flavors they claim to, they are probably pretty good in moderation.

Is not like sweet beans are unheard of, I love anko. I'd try this dessert "hummus".

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Having the busted cilantro gene really sucks, it tastes like a big old squirt of dish soap. :smith:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Was anyone slow to discover the cilantro=soap thing? It never bothered me when a small amount was in a dish, but then I got a salad where the raw sprigs were part of the mix and was so confused. Now I can pick out the taste unless there's very little or it's part of something that offsets it, like salsa.

I started using small amounts in cooking and I thought I had soap residue or something in my pots at first.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Millennial Sexlord posted:

Ah yes. I'll have the steak tartare please.

Raw beef, egg yolk... That's too many spices I don't feel like it, just serve it like that.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

LogicalFallacy posted:

Picked up "The American Woman's Cookbook" from my granddad's place, which is old enough to pre-date the obsession with aspic, and mostly contains some pretty good stuff.

However, it also has this:

That sounds pretty good. Opossum and squirrel used to be common meat sources, especially for people living in rural areas.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Did they fry a piece of paper to that egg sandwich??

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Sakurazuka posted:

My man, have you heard of soylent?

That's not clear, that's taupe. Or black if you get the moldy ones.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
It's called "smooth food" and molding it like that actually makes patients who need it feel better because it looks less like eating baby food.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Having the cilantro soap gene sucks because it tastes SO BAD and overwhelms and ruins really good food for you.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Please serve all my meals on a guillotine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Cook the rice in the broth so it soaks it up, duh.