Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Found this in a store today and knew I had to stop lurking and :justpost:.

Even the cashier was looking at it like it was a bag of dog poo or something.

Deep-frozen pizza, on which are chicken/turkey frankfurters and french fries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

My Lovely Horse posted:

I recently grossed myself out by wondering if you could make a doner sandwich in a donut, just for the naming possibilities, and now I'm afraid to google it.

We also looked for Dönuts recently. It was disappointing.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

sweeperbravo posted:

No, hold up please, my favorite part is that what in there is supposed to be the chicken

It's just visible under the cookies, took me a while.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Lidl here is running American Weeks, a weeks in which you get American classic food. So naturally, I had to get several products, not all of which are in this photo.

This is what I got.

The hot dog

The pulled pork honey mustard

The long chilli cheese

The chilli cheese hot dog

They seem to think "chilli cheese" means "unholy yellow plastic nightmare that does not taste of chilli peppers whatsoever". The patties were the lowest quality I've had in decades. The hot dogs were an insult to sausages everywhere. The pulled pork was... actually not bad in comparison.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Iron Crowned posted:

I think you've been away for far too long

I'm not from the US (and thus comparing it to other Austrian food in quality), but I was told that in the US "chili cheese" means chili beans and cheese topping, not ... this.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I found the equivalent for the current one. Alternatively this.

gschmidl has a new favorite as of 13:33 on Jul 2, 2019

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

LadyPictureShow posted:

Dear lord. This is OG German Lidl's, I'm guessing?

I went to a Lidl's for the first time this weekend, and while they had some interesting finds, nothing like that.

Germany & Austria (maybe other countries?) although Germany has a bunch more stuff that looks way more edible.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8y3SSmz4sg

Watch to the end.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I'll allow a lot but if it's made and served cold, it's not pizza.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Nice weed. For a clown to smoke. At the circus.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

One patty and "the daddy of all burgers"? Please.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:wrong:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Onion haters gonna love the bricklayer's salmon.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Pastry of the Year posted:

Are those just bologna loaves (tubes? what is a single unit of unsliced bologna called) with sauteed onions shoved into them? Because that sounds great

e: found the source, still a little mystified

It's a larger version of a hot dog wiener type sausage, if that helps? The word for them here is Knacker (or Knackwurst), and this is, indeed, great. The onion's usually raw, and Vegeta is essentially MSG with herbs and vegetables. Kotanyi is a maker of paprika powder.

gschmidl has a new favorite as of 12:38 on Jul 18, 2019

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://twitter.com/HEFFYRAPS/status/1149789295969878016

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

LifeSunDeath posted:

Totally unrelated to Iron Brew pork, but why do certain successful threads get closed? Like the Shauedenfraud thread just got closed, but why? It's actually popular, and older threads no one ever posts in for years still persist, what is even going on?

Probably because it's been having its 29th derail in a row.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

AlbieQuirky posted:

What does “DFOR” mean on that menu?

Dumb-gently caress Owned Restaurant

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Synthbuttrange posted:

no pizza rules

I was on board with no pizza rules, but Pizza Hut product is a loving joke, not a pizza.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Zipperelli. posted:

For all the garbage pizza chains, I'm honestly kinda surprised that Pizza Hut is your hill to die on. Especially considering they're not terrible.

Austria's right next to Italy, and you can get high-quality pizza basically anywhere for less money. Pizza Hut is - as far as I know - the only big international pizza chain that ever attempted to exist here, so that's what I'm basing it on.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I've had onion, 'nduja and olive ice cream, so why not?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJfejLup_E0

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The sanctimoniousness of this Neil deGrasse Tyson of food is peak WASP boomer. Would eat everything shown by that account except the vegemite.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://twitter.com/KariVanHorn/status/1162049635428339713

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://twitter.com/NateHolzer12/status/1162407627122458625

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

spankmeister posted:

LIDL's "american" products are wild.

Aldi's are a lot better, presentation is similarly questionable though.

The pulled pork burger is weirdly bunched into a ball but tastes nice.

The double cheese beef burger is also pretty good. Would be better with some pimping.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Iron Crowned posted:

Why should you be ashamed?

Yeah, no worries, Little Debbie is a 50-year-old in the body of... oh.

e: here, have a terrible noodlebot:

https://i.imgur.com/qXLaJnh.mp4

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Randaconda posted:

(and others)

It just makes the food so orderly!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

vaguely posted:

2) This might just be me, but I hate the overproduced Youtube style where there must always be things happening on screen, even if it's just a guy talking at you about a movie they quick-cut out the half a second natural pause between each sentence so it's just a non-stop stream of Content with no time to breathe

It is extremely jarring and exhausting.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Here we call that a "saure Wurst" and the Wurstsalat has more stuff than just sausage and onion.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

wheatpuppy posted:

Why are there no pears in the tuna and pear pizza?

Step 2

wheatpuppy posted:

And what the hell is a pickled walnut? :psyduck:

Short answer: British.

Longer answer: The first stage is to pick the walnuts whilst they are still green and before the shells have set. Most recipes say that late June is about the best time to pick them. The soft walnuts are then soaked in brine (salt water) for at least ten days. The walnuts are then drained and left to dry in the air. Soaking the walnuts in brine causes a chemical reaction to take place and the walnuts turn dark brown to black in colour when exposed to sunlight. The now-black walnuts are then placed into jars and a pickling solution poured over them. This can vary from a straightforward pickling vinegar to a solution containing spices and sugar. The walnuts are sealed and then left in the jars for anywhere between five days and eight weeks depending on which recipe is followed.

gschmidl has a new favorite as of 14:52 on Sep 1, 2019

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Only a daft bint/cad.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I'm the sold-separately "also plain without sauce" when you could just not open the pack

e: f,b

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

KKKake

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Didſt thou bake yon ſmall paſtries?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

quote:

Kazakhstan, a vast and sparsely populated nation in Central Asia, is growing its camel herds by mating two-humped and one-humped camels, producing hybrids that are hardy to cold like Bactrian breeds, while producing copious milk like dromedaries.

Demand for the animals is driven by the improbable rise in popularity of a fermented camel milk drink known as shubat. It also stems from a push by the government to develop agriculture and diversify the economy away from oil; the Kazakh Ministry of Agriculture provides loans to farmers to expand the hybrid herds.

Shubat, the fermented camel milk drink, is prized for being highly probiotic, not to mention a little bit alcoholic.

“If you let the milk sit for two weeks it becomes shubat all by itself,” Ms. Uteniyazova, the milkmaid, said cheerily. The milk is said to “stand up” and become the drink as it fizzes and curdles.

For longtime shubat drinkers, determining the number of humps on the camel that produced the milk is easy, because Bactrian milk is more fatty than dromedary milk. The closer the hybrid to Bactrian, the richer the milk. Which is better is a question of taste.

“This is not so good,” complained Sakin Murabayev, a bus driver at a highway rest stop in western Kazakhstan where shubat is served, after downing a pint and wiping the milky mustache from his upper lip. He preferred, he said, milk from breeds closer to Bactrian.

To be sure, a glass of shubat of any type, with its sour tang and mysterious globs of milk fat, can be difficult for the uninitiated to get down. But it is undeniably popular in Kazakhstan, creating demand for the crossbred camel herds.

Mr. Murabayev offered advice on storing the drink. “If you leave it out, it will start to bubble and you cannot drink it,” he said.

But rather than throwing it out, this extra-ripe shubat can be blended with fresh camel milk, thus yielding more shubat after a few days. “Then you can drink it.”

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Tiggum posted:

Lot of people in this thread apparently never seen a pie before. :stare:

Is it some sort of large pastry?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Wouldn't even wait for it to cool.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Iron Crowned posted:

Dr Pepper is my drink of choice when booze isn't available, but I may try this when the temperature drops below 50, because what if it's actually good?

I was in a western-style restaurant in Tibet for shits and giggles, and they'd clearly seen things like pizza but didn't know about pizza dough - so I got what was essentially a huge round toast and... hot coke with fresh ginger. I still drink the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Just had this:

Most disgusting "mousse" I've ever eaten.