Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Trip report: Angriest Whopper

One of the worst fast-food meals I've ever had was on a road trip; out of desperation, unable to find a decent-looking diner or anything, I stopped at a Burger King and had an Indy Whopper. (Yes, this was when Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull had just come out.) I was frustrated and tired, and the burger was really bland and bad, despite having "Cajun mayo" and pepperjack cheese and the like. So when someone posted an image of the Angriest Whopper, I thought: well, I wonder how different that is? And what in the world will that red bun be like?

So I went.

The burger has some impressive verticality when wrapped. I'm used to the actual burgers at a place being sad, squashed versions of the ads, but this one looked like it might actually be a bit like it.

Opened up, it looked far more like the promo image than I expected it to. I was sitting next to a window with a sticker/poster for the Angriest Whopper, and looking back and forth, I could see the same ingredients in the same order. And yes, the bun really is THAT red. Inside and out.

As for taste? I know it's the thing to do to be all hyperbolic about things in this thread, but, hey, it was pretty good. When you get a bite that has all of the flavors working together, it's nice; a bit spicy, a bit salty, a bit beefy. I find that the flame-grilled flavor at BK tends to come and go, but it was there today. I tried some of the bun on its own, and it did have a slight spicy taste in and of itself. Somewhat oddly, though, the best-tasting bits of the burger were the ones where it tasted most like a plain ol' Whopper.

I didn't know if I was going to post this possibly-gross picture of a half-eaten burger, but what the hell. You can see how violently red the inside of the bun is, there.

So, yeah, there's that. The only real thing wrong with this lunch was that, for the amount I spent, I could've gotten one of the crazy-good patty melts at the local diner with hand-made-to-order potato chips, or a huge plate of pad thai with hot and sour soup, or a basket of Dr. Insano wings and salt-and-pepper fries from the other diner, or hand-breaded clams and chowder at the new seafood joint, or or or... there are just so many good meals to be had around here in this price range that it feels weird to have gone to Burger King and had something that was, yeah, all right, but nothing extra-special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

chitoryu12 posted:

But what color was your poop

As of right now, 11 hours later, perfectly normal. Will update tomorrow, if the situation warrants.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/721343647476686849

I think it's supposed to be Caprese salad? Maybe?

Somebody's really excited for Nier: Automata.

Edit: And that's what I get for leaving this tab open that long.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Sweet As Sin posted:

Hotdog tacos are a legit mexican thing

One of the best things on a local taqueria's menu is a wiener torta -- but they rarely have the wieners to make it with. Too bad, because it's loving delicious.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I tried the Ramen Burger at Red Robin. I was worried the bun would be like an uncooked brick of ramen, but it's soft noodles flash-fried to be crispy on the outside, with a little seasoning. It was tasty, but salty, and there was so much going on inside (teriyaki! aioli! chili cabbage! fried jalapenos!) that you couldn't taste the hamburger patty at all. All in all, I'm not unhappy that I tried it, but -- like the bacon fatty melt I tried at a local diner years ago -- I don't think I'll have one again any time soon.

No pics because I was actually at lunch with someone else and being sociable and all that.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Samizdata posted:

See part of the fun (for me) of a breakfast with meat and fried eggs is swirling the meat in the leaked egg yolk on the plate. Works lovely with ham...

Toast dragged through peppered egg yolk is peak breakfast.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

RNG posted:

Chili nut won! I know because I saw entire display boxes on deep discount at Wal-Mart and as much of a cheapskate as I am, wouldn't.

I think voting goes until June 17...

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

You begin to suspect that your bowl is a portal to the Meat Dimension.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Would.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The second season of The Katering Show is up on YouTube. Edit: And now there's a playlist.

atholbrose has a new favorite as of 21:19 on Aug 11, 2016

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I don't care what you say, split-pea Jabba here is pretty cute.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I've tried every regional variant of pizza I've had the chance to, and liked them all. I always look forward to some Imo's when I visit St. Louis. Provel cheese is some good stuff.

I moved to Cincinnati from Los Angeles 25 years ago, and tried Skyline on the second day here. Loved it then, still do. Understand why some people don't, but not when the complaint is just syntactic, getting hung up on the definition of "chili". It's worth evaluating on its own merits, and not based on a cheap canned version, either.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Untrue--what about pumpkin pie, chess pie, or navy bean pie? Those are all single crust (also all custard based, now that I think of it...)

Strawberry pie often doesn't have a lid, either. Lemon meringue. Boston cream.

And drat. Now I want some pie.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The Chicken and Waffles flavored chips are more like "maple and smoke". It's not bad, but I can't imagine eating more than a small bag of them.

Maple Bacon Kettle Chips, on the other hand...

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Grand Fromage posted:

Maybe Cincinnati is weird then. In Dayton the only place I ever regularly got a square cut pizza was Marion's.

Ok, so, my two cents as a Cincinnati resident. The only place I can think of that square-cuts round pizzas is Donatos, where they will wedge-cut them if you ask them to. I live in a neighborhood with a welter of pizza places, mom-and-pop, local and national chain, and the only other pizzas I can think of that get cut in squares are rectangular or square pizzas, where that's the way it makes sense to cut them.

And my vote is "who cares?" Pizza is pizza is pizza.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Thread, I committed a culinary crime against man and nature, and it's partly your fault. I just couldn't stop thinking about That Picture, and so I bought some ingredients.

The thing that worried me most about this was the sweetness of the Spaghetti-O's, so I added some red pepper flakes, seasoned salt and oregano and what not, and assembled it...

...and baked it.

I had to let it cool/congeal quite a bit before eating. The Spaghetti-O's weren't that saucy, but just slid all over the place while hot.

The thing that surprised me, when all was said and done, was how bland it was. No flavor at all from anything. I ate one piece plain, one with sriracha, and one with more red pepper, and it only tasted like the add-ons.

The rest went in the trash.

(Sorry for the partial post; I accidentally hit post way too early.)

atholbrose has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Feb 6, 2017

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

That's a crime, but given the other topic of conversation, now I can't stop thinking about a spaghetti-o giant pizza burger thing. God save me.

I've had a (regular-sized) burger stuffed with pizza sauce and cheese and topped with pepperoni. That was pretty good, really.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Thank goodness I'm not the only one that loves Necco Wafers.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Artsygrrl posted:

Not to backtrack too much, but isn't Mr. Blobby a UK thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIfpzV5zLII

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

p-hop posted:

The hamburger flavor pizzaburger from a while ago reminded me, when I was in college there was this hole-in-the-wall pizza place on the way to campus. They had dirt cheap slices of pepperoni or cheese served in sheet format. the dough was freshly made and fantastic. The cheese and sauce were nothing amazing but still a solid 5/10. Nothing else in that price point came close. One time they asked me "hey do you want some hamburger pizza?" and I said sure and got a slice for free. It was ketchup/yellow mustard as "sauce" with hamburger meat, american and sharp cheddar, slivers of onion, and pickle. Everything was at the PERFECT ratio of ingredients, it was amazing. A good-rear end burger + fixins with top notch pizza dough instead of a bun. They closed down a year later or so. :smith:

A local pizza place in Loveland had a delicious hotdog pizza with cheese, onions and a mustard sauce as the base. It was amazing. They've taken it off the menu because the owner hated it; we all beg to have it back, maybe even just for opening day (it had a baseball-themed name that I've since forgotten), but no dice.

Larosa's recently had a cheeseburger pizza but it was way WAY too heavy on the mustard and pickle. No balance at all.

A tiny pizza place near where I grew up had a great cheeseburger pizza, and I've always been looking for a decent replacement. Not found it yet.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Goddammit, I guess I'm having conies for lunch.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Hirayuki posted:

I recently discovered and became a fan of goetta, a related product pretty much only known in and slightly around Cincinnati: ground pork, possibly some pork sausage, onion, maaaybe a little sage, and steel-cut oats, formed into a loaf, sliced up, and fried. I regret only buying one package while I was down there, and am already calculating when I can justify another ten-hour round-trip drive for more.

There's a Chinese place in Hyde Park that makes goetta fried rice.

It's amazing.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

.Z. posted:

Omurice

:colbert:

Goddrat it's been a while since I saw Tampopo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcJlmhoYNfI

RIP Francis. (Sigh.)

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Does she run a 60-person dance crew?

Well, 59, now.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

bike tory posted:

Honey on pizza is a thing, so I don't see why maple syrup would be terrible. Gorgonzola and honey pizzas are the poo poo

Now you know that's not what this is. They're talking a regular-rear end pepperoni pizza and a bowl of syrup.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

The lost, unobtainable and probably-best-left-in-the-past taste from my school cafeteria days is the pan of well-done hamburger patties kept simmering in a pan of ketchup water. Hamburger day was my favorite in grade school.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I dunno. That's pretty much AFP right there. I couldn't watch after the incision. Did it hit the ceiling?

I was expecting it to be custard, but then the color... argh.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Twitch posted:

Seconding that whoever took that photo hosed up, the chili isn't supposed to be dry at all.

Speak for yourself. I always order my three-ways dry and invert.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

We have such weenies to show you.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Thread, I want you to know it's your fault I now own a shaker of Tony Chachere's BOLD and cannot stop putting it on pretty much everything.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

AlbieQuirky posted:

Swiss cheese, rye bread, sautéed onions. Patty melt isn't pizza, it has rules :colbert:

:yeah:

LadyPictureShow posted:

Any time I've had it, it's American cheese and has thousand island dressing on it; though Wikipedia says they're acceptable variations.

That, my friend, is a Frisco melt, and it's a delicious thing but different.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Can we all just agree that ham and pineapple pizza is the worst pizza?

No, no we cannot.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Are we all going to just ignore that that thing has giant hundreds and thousands all over it?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Why? Why why why? Why would you?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Iron Crowned posted:

I do miss that place's hot salsa, it actually had a good flavor, and was decently hot for white people's food. All the mexican places I've found around here in Cincinnati have hot salsa, and red pepper is the flavor they're going for, so it doesn't taste very good :(

I had never thought to ask for it, so I went to El Picante for lunch today, got left with a beakerful of regular salsa and brought a dish of what looked like chunky gochujang. It was hot, though pretty one-note in flavor.

It was only at the end of the meal I realized I was probably supposed to mix it with the other salsa. Um, guess I'll have to try that again.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

bloom posted:

...(an upsetting picture)...

So, when I was a kid, the nearest mall had a Woolworth's with a lunch counter, who had pretty good grilled cheese sandwiches and malts. I used to go there sometimes until I had the same nightmare two nights running: ordering a sandwich, taking a bite out of it, feeling a crunch, looking down and seeing that I'd been served a grilled-rat-and-cheese.

Thanks, bloom, for giving me 35-year-old-nightmare flashbacks.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Wait... spread shortening on hamburgers?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Woah a cat with a forums account!

Smiaowg, the Chiefest and Greatest of all Calamities.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Data Graham posted:

Ah yes, the rarely ordered “Cincinnati chili six ways”

A six-way has jalapenos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

veni veni veni posted:

Eating raw ground beef is actually nasty as gently caress.

I don't know, man. Kitfo is amazing.