Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Data Graham posted:

When I was in college in LA we used to make fun of Del Taco (∇ Taco) for being so gringo they had loving french fries

It was otherwise unheard-of.

Del Taco is hilarious. I used to work with them when I was doing tech support for a QSR POS provider. They would only have one terminal for taking sales and doing reporting. No back of house systems; they were always all-in-ones. Their menus never made any sense.

I always liked the "Extra meat" button which was huge on the screen. They never had a requirement for what kind of meat it was. To be fair, who doesn't like more meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

Considering how sensitive and over-tasting kids taste buds are that thing had to have been every single child's nightmare. No kid likes relish, onions or Dijon mustard. The gently caress were they thinking? Some people seriously just have no idea how to prepare food for children

Depends on what you were raised on. I was raised on no sugar of any sort so I never developed an affinity for sweets. I still turn down candy/cake/cookies/etc. when offered. However, when I was a kid, I loved tuna with relish, onions, and horseradish. Salmon patties were a favorite of mine when I was about 5. I also loved dill pickles as does my daughter. I was also raised on King Oscar sardines that my grandpa ate constantly.

My kids love sugar and are not to be trusted around anything sweet. I guess I've raised my kids wrong.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Regular Coke, in the US at least, is so sticky and mouth-coatingly syrupy that I can't drink more than one small rum & coke without feeling like I need to brush my teeth. If I want to get a mixed-drink drunk on, I pull out the Coke Zero because it's less offensively artificial (to my tastebuds) than Diet Coke. Other advantage: if you get drunk and spill it, it's not sticky like regular Coke.

Regular Coke, in the US, uses corn syrup which sucks in general. I agree that it's gross. These days, I try to only buy pop/soda that lists "sugar". Mexican Coke always seems better but maybe that's just me.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Oh god, baijiu is the loving worst

It tastes like doing a shot of carburetor cleaner that a diabetic peed in

Though Chartreuse is probably the worst I've ever drank, my Ota always made what he called "Beer Liquor"

It was a couple bottles of the cheapest beer you could buy, boiled down until it was almost syrup. Then you add in 50/50 Bacardi 151 and Vodka to make a quart. It tastes exactly like you'd think only worse. We always took shots of it when we were fishing.

It's an acquired taste but it gets you drunk as poo poo.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Also what's an Ota?

Sorry. Grandfather in German. Force of habit.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

accurate depiction of midwest cuisine spotted

I have to tell you: I have never eaten more loose corn in my entire life than I did as a little kid growing up in Kansas and then Colorado. As soon as I was no longer living there/with my parents, I pretty much never saw loose corn again unless I made it myself. Unless it still counts if it's part of like a frozen vegetable medley, in which case I saw it like once a week at school.

My favorite food when I was a kid was fresh sweet corn, cut off the cob with butter, tomatoes, salt and pepper. I've never met anyone else who does this but that's how my whole family used to do it. You put the water on to boil before you go out to pick corn. Corn older than 20 minutes from the stalk isn't worth eating. My wife thinks it's gross and she's from Nebraska; The big corn state.

Opan North Dakota style!

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

tzorilla posted:

I spent few weeks in a hospital recently, and the food was interesting to say the least.

Here's a full album of the delicacies:

https://imgur.com/gallery/dbQ2Q

Man that's depressing. The food I had when I was in the hospital last was bland but edible. That stuff almost looks like what you'd make when you're too lazy to go to the store and that's all that's left in your cupboard. A bunch of dry bread does not a meal make. At least some butter would be nice.

I'm surprised it's not served on a piece of junk mail because they're too lazy to wash any plates.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Crown Face posted:

After watching a bunch of terrible food videos, Youtube told me to watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAUpelESAXo.

It's not even close to being the ugliest or most disgusting recipe, but there is just so much wrong with this entire video that they seem to be so proud of.

My Grandfather used to take every item that was served at a meal such as a a steak dinner with scalloped potatoes, lamb stew and rice, chop suey, turkey and beets, etc, and stir it into the largest bowl he owned. He'd take all of Thanksgiving dinner and stir it up good. There was a single bowl that only he used. He made the best turkey you'd ever eat (when not stirred into cranberry sauce and corn pudding and string beans, etc.). But the stirred up garbage he ate is is my reference point for wrong.

This hamburger recipe is far, far worse than any slumgooey that my grandpa used to make.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

What the absolute gently caress. This is like the polar opposite of the kid who won't eat anything that touches anything else. I'm imagining him eating with a serving spoon. How does a person even get this way?

5 foot 9, 195 lbs, not an ounce of fat, and died in the traces at 93 years old. He was a lifelong farmer and just wanted to get the eating out of the way so he could get back in the field. Sometimes you just need calories and you don't care what you're eating I guess.

Your imagination is correct, he always ate his puddle of slop with a serving spoon.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Maybe I've tried i before? Maybe I just know I like a lot of salt on my food? Maybe I just literally never eat anything without tomato sauce on it? Who cares?

My brother salts everything without tasting it. He has a salt affinity. He has been salting the crap out of everything since he was a kid. It's no harm nor is it an insult to the cook. Some people just crave salt.

He does put ketchup on schnitzel though. For that, he should be condemned to die.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

mds2 posted:

I had Mexican street corn for the first time about 2 weeks ago. loving amazingly good.

My mother always told me that they would buy street corn in San Jose back in the 60's. A filthy 50 gallon drum for cooking, and some soft butter. My mom and dad would buy one each and the vendor would use his finger to rub butter on the corn, sprinkle on seasoning, and then lick his fingers clean.

They're still alive so I guess it isn't so bad.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Fish Of Doom posted:

This is like the mystery green mush from Calvin and Hobbes that they would always have for dinner.

I've always understood the gunk that Calvin ate for dinner.

When I was a kid, my parents had friends that made the worst holistic hippy natural vegan food ever. It was always mashed green poo poo with no seasoning served with unleavened bread. They were still singing Kumbaya in 80's; they were ridiculous hippy dropouts. Every meal was inedible. Just overcooked mystery greens mashed together in a pile.

For desert, oatmeal cookies seasoned with wheat germ and unsweetened carob. No flour. For decadence, you could put honey on them. One would normally pocket them and then dispose of them quietly. No one should suffer unsweetened carob.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

I grew up right next to a farm that kept their chickens "free range" i.e. they were kept in the yard to peck and cluck and ruin your day instead of the ideal of being smashed in a box. They would roost at night and the layers would lay, and you would pick eggs from the filthy bastards every day or so.

They smelled terrible, pecked you like crazy, wouldn't shut up, and were general awful creatures. My mother is a strict vegetarian but still smiles when yet another chicken goes to their maker. They are terrible, disgusting, abominations. The only reason to raise chickens is for the pleasure of killing them.

You cook the chicken through with no pink to make sure that their soul goes back down to their creator, Satan. You don't want those bastards coming back to haunt you.

You should be more gentle with Turkey though. Going easy on cooking the turkey makes for a better bird.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Panfilo posted:

What's up with goons that are so prone to explosive diarrhea when they eat various foods?

It's just funny to pretend. If someone legitimately gets diarrhea from eating cheap food, they should probably seek medical advise.

Taco Bell only gives you the shits if you've eaten an absurd amount. When it was still Zantigo, you could feed a family for a couple dollars. We used to eat until we were sick. Even 15 years ago, you could still get the full Zantigo menu at TB. Nothing cost more than a dollar.

There's still a Zantigo in Bloomington, MN. Every once in a while, I buy and eat an irresponsible amount of Chilitos.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Trent posted:

I once made an over easy egg that looked perfectly normal but the yolk had an odd taste. It took me a second to realize that it tasted like chicken. Something about that freaked me the gently caress out. I don't know why it affected me so, it's not like I don't know where eggs come from or what they are. I couldn't eat an over easy egg for like a year.

I'm better now.

If you use fresh eggs, you have to candle them. Just look at them through the light from the window and you can see if there's something weird. They can taste different from commercial eggs but not too much. Look for the double yolks. They make awesome omelettes.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

sweeperbravo posted:

My nana made the most delicious, simple, best scrambled eggs. My mom made okay ones. They used the same ingredients, I'm pretty sure in the same quantities. Not sure why Nana's were so special. I think it is because Nana made them and everything tasted better in her kitchen, which was yellow and looked exactly like it did when they bought the house in 1949 or whatever except there was also a microwave

My mother makes the worst scrambled eggs in the world. They are always burned and taste like farts. She insists on putting cheese in them as if it is a requirement. She gets mad at me if I make eggs without cheese. She also refuses to use salt and pepper.

On another note, she insists on putting an inappropriate amount of zucchini in any red sauce she makes. She also puts in ridiculous amounts of yellow squash. No one likes this, but she still does it. She also puts in absurd amounts of cinnamon but almost no other spices.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

McSpergin posted:

...The best recipe I know is 1/2 cup each of sake and mirin, 4tsp Soy sauce and 1 tbsp sugar and literally nothing else...

Tldr sauce sperging

My extremely mid-western mother-in-law from Omaha who considers plain potatoes to be exotic makes almost exactly that recipe. For some reason, her chicken teriyaki is the best in the world. Chicken thighs and legs marinated overnight, dried, re-coated and baked. I could eat that stuff to death hot or cold.

Her pork chops are a nightmare though. She seriously cooks them in boiling fat for 45 minutes. They are both greasy and dry at the same time.

mostlygray has a new favorite as of 22:02 on Oct 16, 2016

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

dev286 posted:

https://youtu.be/9fGxB6BMO5E

Saw this TV ad today and thought of this thread

Do you think anyone watches this ad and thinks "ooh, that looks good!"

Try my feces! It's the best feces covered in noodles you'll ever have! My favorite is the puddle of poo poo in a bowl that tastes worse than it looks.

Poop...

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

My favorite terrible "martini":

Zubrowka Vodka with Capers and a little bit of the brine.

Zubrowka has Bison Grass in it which, if you get it in Poland, has coumarin in it so is a blood thinner. In the US, it's fake flavoring. I like it, but no-one else does.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It just looks like a thin crust cheese pizza cut like an idiot would cut it. Otherwise perfectly fine though.

Twin Cities here. All pizza should have the toppings under the cheese, a cracker-like crust, a spicy sauce, baked in a circle, and cut into squares.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

Loose meat sandwiches (also called tavern sandwiches) are another thing entirely. They're ground beef sautéed with onions with a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Very different texture from the sauce-heavy Sloppy Joe.

I always enjoy the MN "Barbecue". Ground beef, onions, ketchup, and mustard all stirred up and served on two slices of Wonder bread. If you only have one slice, fold it in half and it's a taco. Say it with a Minnesota accent.

Have it with "Salad" http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/dessert-salads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

"And what side would you like with that?"
"WHATEVER JUST BRING ME MAH FOOD gently caress TALKING OR DECISIONS :byodood:"

Just answer the loving questions you goon. Hell, even "whatever is your favorite" is a more acceptable answer than "I don't care, bring me whatever" because it makes you sound like you care about their opinion rather than being an insufferable douchebag.

At most places, I just say "dealers choice" and they lose their poo poo. The average server loses their mind. They start asking if "dealers choice" is a brand name and then they offer me food that they don't even make. "How about PB&j?"

I've got one Subway where the manager knows me and I don't have to be grilled with "Do you want turkey on your turkey sub?" "Do you want horseflies on it?"

He just makes me something different every day and I never ask questions. It's magic. I also have a Qdoba guy that's the same way. i just got off work, I don't need any more questions, just put food in my belly and I'll be good. I'll decide more stuff tomorrow.