Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Can eurogoons tell me if Brexit is gonna happen or not? Because I'm moving to London to work next month and it would really suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Electronico6 posted:

I got some bad news for you, London is an expensive shithole, and you should rethink your professional choices if you value your health and wallet.

Also yeah the UK is totalling leaving the EU.

I've got a friend living there who's making a pretty drat good living and I've got a more sellable skillset than him. Also, I'm a web developer, and right now London is full-on in the middle of a bubble with ludicrous demand for the stuff I do. I figure I'll work 3-5 years then come back to the third world and buy several houses and never need to work again. Also Buenos Aires is as costly as London, if not more, and the wages are not paid in pounds.

Also I agree with Cat Mattress, basically my question is what kind of voting intent are we looking at? Does the Brexit vote look like it's gonna have high attendance? Is it on the media 24/7 and people are talking about it, or is it something in the background?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

LemonDrizzle posted:

Probably not - Remain has a consistent lead in the polls (see below), and a consistent large lead in phone polls, which are traditionally more accurate than online polls. On top of that the two Leave campaigns are spending most of their time fighting with each other and whining about the way the government is running the Remain campaign rather than putting their case.

Thanks for the table, I had spent some time looking up polls but all I got were newspaper articles which were clearly cherry picking. That bit about the phone polls shows an interesting lead. I guess people who look up Brexit polls online are more likely to be interested in the subject to support it since someone who supported the status quo wouldn't be interested.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Hey brits don't be jerks and don't leave the goddamn EU just as I am finally going to move over there to work, it's not like I'm stealing your jobs, you have way too much demand in that area, there's way more than enough jobs for everybody. Thanks.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Referendums would only sorta work if voting was mandatory with threat of heavy fines if you don't vote (unless you have a valid, certified medical reason), AND if the public was properly informed of the consequences. When neither happens, it's a loving stupid form of deciding things.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Brexit campaigners continue to be the best Remain campaigners. Thank you racist tories, I was worried for a second there I might have to leave the UK. Alas, prosperous Serbia will have to wait.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Pesmerga posted:

Interesting! Not doubting you but do you have a source for that, I wouldn't mind reading it.

Well, there's no sourcing that kind of affirmation, but the "poll of polls" site shows a marked upward hike that came just after Obama's speech. Correlation doesn't imply causation, obviously, but I'd say it's highly likely that it helped. The only kind of people that Obama's statement would turn towards a Leave vote, would be die-hard Brexit ideologists, so no harm done there.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

That's actually really easy to explain: poll cherry-picking.
You should check this: https://ig.ft.com/sites/brexit-polling/
It's takes into account all polls. The one from the article is there, even.

Also, again, the people who heard Obama and went all "EVIL AMERICANS I HATE OBAMA" already intended to vote Leave. No change was had there.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 27, 2016

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Hi everyone, what's the best city to move in the EU now that the UK pressed self-destruct? Preferrably I want one with good wages, high demand for web developers, good standard of living, and one where it's possible to survive in speaking English, and having a EU passport. Also they need to be smart enough that they won't do the same poo poo as the UK. Berlin? Copenhagen?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

doverhog posted:

Scotland needs permission to have a referendum and even if that passes they again need the result to be honored.

You forget the UK needs to negotiate with the EU from a disadvantageous position. "Sure ok, trade deal, but you let Scotland have its referendum, and honor it."

After Brexit passed, I no longer believe politics will behave according to rationality and law. It's literally a collective childish tantrum, extending into the infinite.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Nilbop posted:

So are the good guys winning?

You should know already that anything with "Popular" in the name is loving vile and not actually fighting for the people at all.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Meanwhile Europe has seen steady or rising immigration, on top of a never-ending economic malaise.

The thing is, it's "malaise" in your relative parlance. For the rest of the poor as dirt world, Europe is a loving heaven of honey and milk with abundant work. So of course they're gonna leave their shithole of a home country and go steal delicious UK jobs. It's what I'm doing at the moment. It's a matter of perspective.

We should just abolish all borders and let people go wherever the gently caress they want and have a single global government.

I propose holding a referendum over this.

Plan to actually implement it? There's no plan.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That Europe is heaven compared to a civil war torn country doesn't somehow produce jobs though.

You're not getting my point. Let me try and make it simpler: you know how if you put something hot next to something cold, they will eventually reach a state of equilibrium? People will go where things are better than where they are right now. It doesn't matter if you think jobs are running out, it's still infinitely more than the immigrants would get back home. It's all relative.

And it's not heaven compared to a civil war torn country, man. You overestimate the rest of the world. Argentina is not a poor country by any means compared to, say, Zimbabwe or Haiti. Life is okay there. The EU rich countries (UK, Denmark, Sweden, etc) are still like 50 times better. It's just that where life is "okay" or better, most people just shrug and carry on. That's why you get more Polish immigrants than Argentinians. Also distance and ease of moving.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 26, 2016

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Phlegmish posted:

This is exactly what people are afraid of, that given enough time and unlimited immigration, Europe will effectively reach a state of equilibrium with the rest of the world. Wealth is not a magical, inherent, fixed quality of certain geographic areas, it is the product of specific societies with specific cultures and institutions.

Well, capitalism's end game is global equilibrium of miserable poverty and lack of equality. We probably won't be alive to see that, but I give it around 100 years.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I mean where did you think all the first world wealth was coming from? The world is basically a heat pump of wealth powered by exploitation. Immigration is when the pipes leak. We're all responsible for it. You can't just take shelter in your bubble and say "gently caress the rest of the world, they're not bringing MY COUNTRY down", because lol.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Just wanted to chime in and ask a really big favour of all of you:

Please don't destroy Europe, thanks in advance.

No but seriously, it seems like all the former powerhouses are on a slow but steady decline. I mean, it's still not all that bad, but if it keeps going like this, I fear for the next 20 years or so.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Italy's situation is very very similar to Argentina's in 2001. Usually, the value of Italy's currency would tank, banks would restrict movement of money for the masses, some would crash, some would move out, then the government would restructure debt aggressively, cue in vulture funds, etc.
However, with the Euro and the EU, I have no idea what will happen. I don't think Germany will allow Italy to tank the value of the Euro. Anyway, it's bound to be a crisis, I have developed a biological sense for those.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
In an ideal world, politicians and the obscenely wealthy would be forced to live as the poorest citizen in their nation.
That would get things sorted out quick.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The only way I know how to recover from that is, from experience:
- Enter default, unemployment and poverty shoots through the roof
- Elect a populist government that distributes social plans to at least stimulate the economy somewhat
- Have some really really good exports for a couple years, enough that even your politicians can't manage to steal it all and the country manages to prosper despite all efforts to the contrary
- Congratulations your country is now back to some semblance of health. Unfortunately now the populist government is heavily entrenched in power and has ramped up its stealing efforts to 11, so the next step will be people electing a neo-liberal government that will privatize everything and you will begin the cycle anew.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
You guys seem to be forgetting even people with very low income can be thrifty and save up money over decades. Even a thousand euro a year for 50 years can amount to 50k you know.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

waitwhatno posted:

It's a lovely half measure. If you launch him out of the solar system he will ultimately cool down to a few °K and be preserved for millions of years. Chances are high that some day pyjama-wearing communists will find him in space and reanimate him.

That's the problem with austerity, it leads to half measures and band-aid solutions that do more damage in the long run.

But he is so full of hot air, and believes himself to be the center of the universe to the point he has his own (significant) gravitational pull. He might cause a runaway fusion reaction.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

catfry posted:

Yes fusion in the Sun would be bad

"runaway" you brexiter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium_flash

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 24, 2016

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Yes, let's give the terrorists exactly what they want. Let's make the lives of 500 million people worse, which will have economic repercussions which will in the end kill hundreds of thousands of people because of poverty, because of a single terror attack that killed what, 10 people?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Geriatric Pirate posted:

It's crazy how you still don't understand the concept of a deterrent (you don't need to blow boats up, just tow them back, you're probably saving lives that way if the Australian experience is anything to go by)

Anyway, this guy was from a safe country, committed crimes in Italy for which he was arrested and was in the EU illegally. I realize that it's difficult to send people back to countries that don't want them, but at this point it's pretty easy to see why so many people are pissed off about the system as it currently stands. If you can't send people back, surely you can do *something* else, like arrest them for being in the country illegally or something.

All these armchair ideas (no offence) sound perfectly doable until you realise that we're talking about loving millions of people and the logistics involved are nightmarish. Sometimes the most effective way to solve a problem is not to solve it. There's no way to stop illegal immigration. At best, you can kinda help it become productive.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
People will always migrate from lovely places to not-so-lovely places. When the lovely places get too lovely, a lot more people migrate. The history of mankind is one of mass migrations, invasions, counter-invasions, and so on. It's kind of what we do. I migrated to Europe myself, I'm lucky I had European citizenship and an extremely valuable skillset, but seriously it was like a 1000% increase in quality of life, income, you name it, it improved drastically. And I had what I considered to be a pretty sweet life back in South America.
You can't blame people for wanting to get to Europe, it's too drat good an opportunity to pass up. Like, you can't even begin to imagine how good it is. I know I'm slowly getting used to it and taking it for granted.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

fishmech posted:

It's really simple to end 99% of migration to your country: simply make it so crappy for everyone that the living envy the dead and everyone gets too busy fleeing. 🐱

Going by that standard, Brexit worked extremely well, hell I've started learning German.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Tesseraction posted:

Because you're pro-Europe or because you're part of the far-right resurgence?

No, because due to the devaluation of the pound, and the ongoing migration of companies, Berlin is starting to become a really interesting place to move to. It's also super easy to buy a house there, unlike London.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
If I'm reading those tag clouds right, the original corpus would seem to be kinda... devoid of meaning. Which is not surprising. Every time I read the text of UK politician speeches it's like they're dancing around every issue in the most roundabout way possible.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
So after some depressing myself in the UKMT I entered Nederpol because I was thinking "hey maybe Amsterdam will be a choice after UK collapses", and I see they're going to elect some idiot anti-immigration xenophobe, huh.

Is there ANY country in the EU left with reasonable politics or is everyone tanking hard to the right?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Relax. After WW2, the rich fucks of the world figured that actually wars make fortunes change hands a lot, so it's not in their interest to cause WW3, and while they don't care about the Middle East conflicts, any invasion of Europe would be instant world war.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Wow, I thought this was some Pokemon poo poo or something. I feel very old suddenly. "Look 'em young 'uns with them pokimans dance"

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

LemonDrizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/YahooActuFR/status/844246122327687175
Macron has known the crushing grip of poverty because he once had to live on a mere €1000 per month as a teenage student.

Their humanity simulator chips still leave a lot to be desired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Bring back the Second Spanish Republic, IMHO. gently caress Franco to hell forever and ever.