Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Man I really want this to be good. Still a bit worried that they don't have strong art style going on the ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

pertinent posted:

A lot of those things will no doubt drop off the islands following a 1000ft drop, and disintegrate at the bottom of the world, and other pieces may be recycled by other players.

However they've pointed out that they will be deleting islands when they reach a point where they can't sustain any kind of gameplay. Barren islands that have had all trees cut down and stones mined will be recycled and replaced with new islands after a while, so I'm guessing the junk will disappear along with the island.

Huh, if islands are constantly sinking and reemerging from Deep Sky it would give a pretty good reason why players stick to their ships instead of building island bases.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I'm in. gently caress everyone who didn't get in.

:smith:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Yeah, not sure where I read or heard it, but I believe islands will sink/rise out of the depths on a regular basis. This lets them bring in new material for building stuff, provides a reason why you can't build island settlements, and let's them take out old content for revisions as they update their tools.

I'm sure some group will try to build a super massive ship or group of ships to act as a town at some point though.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hey, whats the current status of Goon Alliances? I saw someone run into Super Dimension Fortress Gooncross on a beta stream but Slam Whales is the only one that comes up on a search of the game site, even when I search for Gooncross.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 28, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Jackard posted:

Our alliance is Slam Whales - it was named Gooncross before the alpha came out.

But the old name was showing up in one of the live streams today for some reason. Weird.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Well in the absence of keys, I spent a while working on an Island.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=936206568&searchtext=

Check it out if you feel like it and maybe vote it up. Although I understand that the devs look over every submission anyway.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
So my first map was ok, but I am WAY more satisfied with this new one.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=937036887&searchtext=

I was just struck with the idea and I had to follow through.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
HEY THIS IS THE SKY CITIZEN SPACESHIP THREAD RIGHT?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Jackard posted:

Hey if devs are concerned about physics lag maybe they should ditch the lovely paneling system

What just have it work like decks and "skin" a given section of ship?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

fromoutofnowhere posted:

I am silentpuppyfarts in game.

That's unfortunate.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I LIEK ANIME!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Raged posted:

Is there a good guide for modifying ship schematics?

I can stretch the ship out from the front and back but I can't figure out how to widen it or take anything out.

Also is it random if you make it through the wind wall. I have made it twice with a ship, but the third time. I died. The only difference was I had a couple of trunks added to the ship

You can add sections forward and backwards and up and down, but you can't add sections to the side, only widen existing sections. The limit is 6 long and 4 tall. You can do some interesting things by varying the width of section stacked on top of each other though. Wind walls are a test of engine power, wing power and piloting skill. My guess is that you started high on the wind wall the first time and made it through, and the second time you were low enough to get pushed into the understorm.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

:confused:

no i was able to salvage floorboards before, you cant do anything with the frame but if there is a wood panel attached in anyway, flooring or wall, it can be salvaged but the return isn't that great iirc

i did it before to get certain types of wood tho

That used to be true, but isn't anymore, but will be again in the future.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Honestly probably not worth playing for another patch or two.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Raged posted:

Any tips getting through the storm wall without a compass?

I have a big all iron exterior ship with lead casing for all 4 tier 3 engines, generator and core.
Sadly the 4 wings are wood because even the one tier 3 wing schematic I have only has wood casing and I am pretty sure I have every diary entry and knowledge tube in the available zones.Comes in at 1798. Think I need to lighten it to add more wings it turns like a beast.

Would it be easier to do the sand wall solo instead? There is one available.

Sandwalls are easier in my opinion. It slowly damages every engine and wing on the ship instead of the lightning randomly deciding to strike your core 4 times in a row. Just don't use plans that skimp on base durability and use something for the casing that boosts that durability like lead or nickel. It's much easier to keep on top of things when you know exactly what's being damaged.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
We're going to try and P the P later tonight. I'll be on at around 7 EST and I think Adadad will already be on by then.

I'll be in my new ALL NICKEL gunship.

Should be tanky, but will likely go down in flames. Special guest appearance by Fudgie the Whale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS6ki8D7zQA

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 3, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Well it wasn't a Glorious Goon Armada but that was still a fun night.

The ship of goons bound for Canton didn't make it through the Sandwall so I had to cross solo and pick everyone up. Pretty cramped for a one man fighter.

After we crossed back over, we ran into a ship with 4 or 5 people on it. A nervous rookie started shelling them early but this is a high stress job you know? Anyway, we pursue and they dive back into the Sandwall. Outside our jurisdiction so we turn around.

Next we encounter a seemingly derelict boat. Boarding it, we become suspicious because of the ship design and larrge stores of material. Could this be a Dupe Smuggler's ship? Surely no ordinary man would have put 80 god drat bar pipes around his gondola style bridge. He suddenly respawns and the erratic movement caused officers to fear for their life. Shots were fired and the suspect made a break for it. After a long chase through zones we managed to close the distance and began bombardment. It really didn't take long for SOMETHING to dislodge and as soon as whatever that was broke another bar pipe it started a chain reaction. It was honestly pretty freaky to watch 80 bar pipes causing the ship to teleport randomly and disintegrate explosively.

Our final encounter starts much smoother. We approach a ship and ask for compliance as we board and inspect the vessel. He decides to gun it and we give pursuit. He tried some nice barrel rolls but our trained officers were steady on their aim. The craft suddenly drifts to a halt and we board and begin our inspection. The suspect has seemingly absconded with the contents of one of their boxes. We strip the illegal cannons off his boat and impound his gas tank. Salt was later detected in the main Worlds Adrift Discord.

After that I finally finished ferrying all the goons back to Dorito where I did maintenance on the ship and logged off. Overall, a good night for justice.

:edit: Apparently stop number 2, Vakharn, may be a goon. This is why being in the discord is so important people!

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 4, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Yeah that was me. I'm curious how you got into my cockpit, did you break a panel? I didn't have time for a thorough inspection while running from you. I was in the discord but I had literally just gotten authed like 5 minutes before you attacked me and I wasn't in voice at that moment.

I had too much crap crammed together at the back of my ship which is why everything spazzed out. I think in future I'd move the rudders and sails elsewhere. I'm not certain whether the clipping sails and rudders or pipes were the problem. The purpose of the pipes was to give decent 360° visibility without allowing access to the helm from outside the ship. That said, I don't think I'm going to play this game anymore until they give me somewhere save to stash poo poo. Losing 2 days of resources because my ship was boarded while I wasn't there isn't my idea of fun.

You caught me because I slowed down to approach shitstack and I thought you'd broken off the chase when I went through the windwall because the last I'd seen of you you were heading in another direction.

Other people can use the cannons, it just takes them a few seconds of uninterrupted access. Let me know if you want to take Fudgie Mk4 to replace your boat. I can move on to other builds easy enough.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

FileNotFound posted:

No and get the cheapest tier cause nobody cares about the stupid ornaments.

I care, just not enough to buy it myself, but I want other people to have it so I can have them load it up on an assembler for me. And only until they start adding neat decorations that can be found in game.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I did a little testing on wood. The actual differences seem very small so just go with hemlock for weight. And if you have comparable metal options use them instead cause the metal bonuses dwarf the wood bonuses.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Raskolnikov posted:

O.1.5 is looking less and less likely to be finished before the holiday. :ohdear:

Also bossa seems convinced pvp is all the content the late game needs and I hope someone with influence is discouraging this line of thought.

It's almost as bad as "procedural generation = infinite content!"

It might work if there's actually anything to fight over. Right now the only thing you lose is resources, most of which are gonna be tied up in your ship in the first place. Which makes people more risk adverse, not less. We need something that's worth it but also can't be destroyed or stolen at 4 in the morning when you're not on. Or that can fall into the abyss during the middle of a fight.

Maybe make it so you can steal blueprints from the Atlas Core and then add a ton of ultra rare cosmetic ship pieces so you end up attacking someone just so you can steal their giant decorative skull trophy.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ok so current situation is that there will be a wipe and big patch on the 6th, but it will still be on the old map. There will be another wipe and patch 2 weeks after that to bring in the new map.

Also if you have the Island Creator, check out the map I just made.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1292255598

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Turd Herder posted:

What happened to the Worlds Adrift Steam page?

I think they pulled it off the Early Access page because it's still very very beta and they wanted to communicate that better.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
No clue, probably a while.

New thing on blight storms. Big tornados of energy designed to roam around eating up loose physics objects. Targets player ships last so you should be able to avoid em.
https://www.worldsadrift.com/blog/tech-tuesday-blight-and-the-cheese/

Also this shot of a fight near one is badass

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Just built a Windwall piercing ship.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They got about 50 people in Bossa Studios and I don't know what they're doing. I've seen 2 man teams make more visible progress. Since I started playing the only things of note they've added Swivel Guns and Atlas pulses. Yes they've made progress on stability and such, but that should be the work of a couple of dedicated programmers.

And the thing about player made islands is that they seem to have no oversight other than "looks cool". If the island is beautiful to look at but all the points of interest are empty it's a poo poo island. They haven't really issued a whole lot of guidance so sometimes you'll find a map that the size of a moon and all the rewards are hidden in 1 foot wide holes hidden behind shrubs.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 27, 2018

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
https://www.worldsadrift.com/forums/topic/icymi-luke-eternz-williams-kiwo-did-a-stream-and-luke-dropped-lots-of-info/

Actually pretty cool, but I'll believe it when I see it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

TheRagamuffin posted:

Yeesh. Is that the current state of the game? Last time I played, a few weeks ago, everyone we met seemed super chill.

The issue is that there isn't really any sort of interaction beyond murder. Like to trade you have to find a corpse bag or unowned chest and swap poo poo there and the devs have specifically said any kind of normal trade interface goes against their freeform vision for the game. The fall in love with the theory of what will happen and just ignore the fact that it won't or doesn't work. A good example is the upcoming radio. It's an in game object that costs weight and materials and gives worse functionality than running discord. No one is gonna use it but they just kind of soldier on.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

BurtLington posted:

Yeah that’s my point, everyone who plays with others uses discord because you’re always gonna be able to talk to that each other, even if you don’t have a radio or aren’t at your ship.

Note that you also have to actually walk up to the radio and use it to send messages. Maybe even to read them? It's a lot of hassle to get worse results than something that already exists.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

queeb posted:

fuckin airborne bitches

But does it have a creepy old man head?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Kopitar posted:

Trying this out, there's no US East server though, where is everyone at?

Capitula or something?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Jackard posted:

Which parts are struck by lightning is purely random so if you put a ton of bar pipes anywhere on your ship they will act as lightning rods.

I suggest the top or bottom so that they fall off without getting caught in your ship. Although now that I think of it, they may have changed it so they only take out panels or something instead of causing a chain reaction of death.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Ossipago posted:

Ok, so when I login to my character for the very first time and don't know what I'm doing...what's the first thing I should do to be able to join the goon action?

Join the Discord.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Krinkle posted:

Is there a reason to park at a ship builder node thingy if you don't want to modify at all, like does it keep it safe, at all, in any way? Only in the people cant grab the wheel and fly away sense if you take the wheel with you?

My ship is gone and I can't spawn there and there's no explanation given. I'm warned when lightning strikes a building three islands away I couldn't care about but someone can steal or destroy my ship and I don't get a page about it.

I'm sad.

It stops people from accessing your stuff without a code, stops projectiles from outside the shell, people without the code can't grapple to the shell and it alerts you if anyone damages the ship or shipyard. Of course your ship doesn't log off if you leave it docked so that's a real bad idea.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Pretty sure you can't loot it until it's broken to a certain point. Also drops bags.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The emplaced anti boarder shotguns. That's about it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Virtually nothing of actual substance was obviously far too much. Now you will get nothing for the foreseeable future.

https://www.worldsadrift.com/announcement/the-path-ahead/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Raskolnikov posted:

I like how they threw the players under the bus in the eulogy. Good job as always bossa.

Our Beta testers should have given us more money for them to test for us and also create all our islands.