Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I didn't know this was gonna be on PS4 wa tha faaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How was this only made by 2 people

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Game is super fun so far but the art design on the characters is kinda...tragic :(

Can you parry bosses? I've killed 3 so far, pretty much just chopped up the queen of smiles and alchemist with my halberd and never tried parrying since I got em on the first try, but I want to know if it's even an option. I beeline for halberds in any game that has them and I have not been disappointed so far. The heavy attack->light attack combo is so good

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fuligin posted:

am I supposed to be heading into the Village of Smiles after taking down Sodden Knight?

Yes although you could explore elsewhere if you want to try to find some items first

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I started with the devara creed because I have no idea what the differences are, I am using halberds/swords/ranged weapons/light armor. Thematically it seems like my creed is going to have more to do with prayers than things I care about, but I don't know. Would another one suit me better?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've cleared 3 bosses so far and have 2 deaths to enemies (that armor mite you can run into if you open a secret door) and probably a good 12 to falling damage.

There may be a bit of an over reliance on falling damage in the game's design.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Found out you can jump before aiming a throwing item like a divine light, and it will hold you in midair for a second while you aim, which lets you get a lot more distance on your throw.

Also good god the tree of men is not a fun fight. I've enjoyed every fight in the game so far other than that one. It didn't help that at one point it just didn't give me my salt back even though I knocked its health below the salt marker, which just stayed there, so I lost a bunch. The area after it was very hard and I didn't like some of the enemies much with my rank 2 sword taking 8 hits to kill, but I'm starting to ruin things with holy buffs now that I have 3 replenishing buff items from the creed.

The messages in this game are extremely good because it lets you build them word by word. Finally you can be told to get good from within the game :haw:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah. I've only killed 4, so there might be more variety later on, but I'd like to see some more platforms and movement. So far every one I have fought you are just crammed into a tiny flat space rolling into their attacks because all of them extend beyond how far you can roll away. The only exception being that alchemist guy who was really obnoxious my first two tries until my third try where I just pinned him into a corner and literally stun locked him to death. That fight was dumb.

Fighting in general definitely seems to have an over reliance on dodging through enemies to the other side. Maybe it changes if you use tower shields, but when just using weapons, it feels like most fights against bigger enemies come down to rolling through them a bunch. Game feels like castlevania a lot of the time, but then against bigger enemies it becomes a twist on the usual strategy in monster hunter and dark souls where you have to counterintuitively dodge into attacks, which I accept is part of those games but kinda loathe. In salt and sanctuary, this becomes rolling into the enemy after the point in their attack when they can no longer turn around. The problem is that most of their attacks don't feel dodgeable if you try to do anything else.

If you want platforms and movement, well uh just keep playing but you might not enjoy it when you get it

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 19, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Feenix posted:

Word, thanks. One more question. I wanted to check out Magic. I put a point in it, but I guess all I have is a Prayer so far (past first Brand). When/how would I go about using Magic?

I haven't tried magic yet so I don't know if there's any areas you want to beeline for, but you can get a wizard who sells a few spells and staves if you use a stone mage at a sanctuary.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bugblatter posted:

The alchemist can be a really RNG based fight. I had a ton of rounds against him where he just sat in the middle and spammed the slimes until the lower area was so full that they would just stunlock me with their grab. Other times he hangs out on the platforms and does his easily dodged lighting/fire spells.

The concept is okay, but his AI is just in need of some serious tweaking. Limit the amount or at least rate at which he spawns slimes, ensure he moves around a bit more. As is you can have a lot of bullshit deaths or a bullshit win if the RNG is dumb, and it kind of pushes the fight into a DPS race, which never makes for a fun boss fight.

Similarly, against the tree of men, there's nothing keeping all three flamethrowers on one side from turning on at once. If you are on that side or were about to climb up there, get hosed

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Not to my knowledge but I'm pretty sure you are 100% invincible while climbing because I've seen several big attacks go right through me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've stuck with devara and have 4 or 5 devotion now on my sword and ranged weapon character, was wondering if I was missing out by ignoring the other creeds. From the last few posts it looks like the only things your creed affects is what consumable buff and throwable they sell, what healing item they give you, and what replenishing stuff you get from turning in items to the leader. Anything else that differentiates them?

Unless there's something else it seems like you should just pick the one that suits you best and stick with it for the whole game, unless there is some way to switch creeds without losing your devotion and having to turn in a second copy of the items when you switch back.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fuligin posted:

The run up to disemboweled husk sucks so bad.

I spent a long time looking for a candle when I saw there would be a fight there since there's normally one closer, couldn't believe you're supposed to run all that way.

Luckily the fight turned out to be very easy so it didn't matter. Sword and pistol are ruining bosses so far.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Without spoiling where it is, is that bag of earth the guy wants a random monster drop or is there a place in the world to pick it up

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You should be able to just grab a handful of dirt in front of him and say "here you go man"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I am liking how cheap it is to teleport around in this game. Once you make a guide anywhere, it basically only costs you 100 gold to teleport to any sanctuary, since you can just use a horn to get to the guide and then use him to go wherever you want.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The animation for trying to swing a dagger you don't have the skills to use is amazing

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Exactly when do fast weapons become bad because I'm at the ruined temple/pitchwoods/floating castle and my sword has had no problem chopping up pretty much everything I've encountered, especially with a holy buff from my creed. I just got a rank 4 halberd too and it's awesome. I haven't died to a boss since the tree of men, although the coveted definitely did take way more hits to die

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's not as useful as it sounds honestly, most of my use for the pistol is blasting idiots out of the air or piling on constant damage when I wouldn't have time to safely get hits in otherwise.

Lakbay posted:

It's harder than bloodborne since the pistol's shot comes out slower than a shield/weapons parry. Also whips can't riposte making the Hunter starting class even more sucky.

Just use the awesome sword the hunter also starts with

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I recently got access a sword whip and flint & steel, and I wish you could get cool weapons like this earlier in the game. Unless there's something I'm missing, there's not an easy way to get one of these very early on.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yes, from what I've seen so far. Greatscissors is considered a greatsword, sword whip is considered a whip, and flint & steel is considered a sword. So far it seems like magic and faith are the only secondary requirements that can appear for weapons (might only be magic even, I don't actually remember seeing a weapon that needs faith to let you use it).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Does the air dash make you invincible

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The drop rate on amber idols actually seems pretty good on the narwhal horses in the pitchwoods, the ones with the stupid loving spammable instakill charge terrible enemy bullshit design boycott salt and sanctuary 2 gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's scary in there .

Get good !

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gravity's score is measured in goddamn digits at this point.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Platypus Farm posted:

I think the biggest hump for me was the dodging/rolling mechanic. Like how in souls, you dodge to avoid a weapon, but in this one you can just dodge straight through it.

No this is pretty much exactly how you do it in souls games too. Dodging into attacks places you in contact with them for the least amount of time, so you're more likely to be invincible for any frames you are in a hitbox. So counterintuitively the best way to avoid attacks is to throw yourself into them. It's true for almost any action game where the dodge makes you invincible such as lords of the fallen and monster hunter.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just dunked the witch and the following three bosses on my first try. Pistols are awesome and destroy flying bosses.

Also when I found the keepers of fire and sky, I accidentally joined them when trying to level up and lost my rank maxed devotion with devora. So I said gently caress it and burned the sanctuary of the three and became a betrayer. Then I betrayed the betrayers :black101:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Has anything been found that needs undersight to be seen, outside of the dome?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I honestly kind of think you HAVE to be able to dodge through enemies in a 2-D game like this, because without a 3-D space to get around enemy attacks, there'd really be no way to get behind them and it's impossible to flank them. I did expect more enemies to punish that sort of thing than there were, even a number of bosses were helpless to well timed dodges through them.

Evidently you've never played castlevania

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

^^^^ Believe it or not, you can block it with a shield.

Yeah I sure remember flanking a lot of enemies in SotN

Castlevania is a 2D game where you don't have to dodge through enemies, and it's probably the most similar game to salt and sanctuary. Dodging through things is just how the developers chose to design S&S. I'm not sure I like it but it's either that or use a shield for everything.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That reminds me, firing a pistol right after doing a heavy attack with a flint & steel will delete the pistol from your inventory. It will stay fireable but invisible in either weapon set you have it equipped, but it will no longer be in your inventory so there's no getting it back when you take it off.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, what's this helmet at the end of the game. I didn't see anything and just jumped down the well.

NG+ is not fun at all and I feel like I have hit a dead end with no room to grow without just building toward something completely different. The rank 4 halberd does more damage than the rank 5 one for some reason, and no other dexterity weapons I've found do close to as much damage except for the pistol. So I have a maxed rank 5 pistol and maxed rank 4 halberd, but nothing else with dexterity seems able to compare. Bows are pitifully weak and not worth the investment, and almost all the rank 5 weapons (including many rank 4s) in other weapon classes like spears and swords have a dual requirement with magic or wisdom so they're off the table. I'm hitting for like a third of the damage I was in NG relative to enemy health, while I feel like there's nowhere to go from here.

Also in bandits' pass, one of the giant rat things just ran by me, several screens to the left, into the sanctuary, and mauled the guide to death :psyduck: Another guide just ran in as if nothing had happened and I could still talk to the spot where the first guide used to be before the new one arrived.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Toiwat posted:

So do I have to kill the DIsemboweled Husk or can it go suck a dick?

You do have to kill it but you could go to the right through the dome instead of left through hager's cavern and come back when you're more powerful.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Friend posted:

Maybe this is well known but I just realized you can use gray pearls to refund nodes you took as prerequisites without losing the later nodes.

Flint & Steel was a fun weapon to use but boy is it a buggy mess. I lost count of how many times I crashed the game changing rings.

Don't try to use a pistol with it either or you'll risk having the pistol get deleted from your inventory.

I only saw one flint & steel, sword whip, and greatscissors available the whole game. Is there really only 1 of each or did I miss the higher rank ones somehow?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There's a ring that makes light, although it won't be an option right at the start.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Harrow posted:

It took me way too long to figure out how to use the Stone Guide in this game. I thought I'd need one at any sanctuary I wanted to fast-travel to, so I wasn't placing them and agonizing over where the best places would be. Now I know I can just place one in whatever sanctuary I want and use cheap horns to warp to him, then travel elsewhere from there. It's making things a lot easier.

I'm still pretty early on--I just got the walk-on-the-ceiling brand--and I'm in love with the Infantry Pollaxe. Is this thing every going to peter out and/or are there even better polearms out there?

Yes it will start doing very mediocre damage after awhile. I had to switch to the rank 2 sword for maybe half the game, then I got the rank 4 halberd which is awesome and used that. A pistol goes great with both weapons.

They get extremely weak in NG+ again but that seems to be true of most dexterity weapons.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Smaller weapons got a much kinder treatment in all the souls games than they do here. There's definitely an imbalance in those gmaes but not like there is here.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Your progress does get reset to 1 if you leave the creed. I had to level up devora again when I accidentally left because they put the "join this creed" menu option in the same place where "level up" normally is when you're in another creed's sanctuary.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Any tips for someone starting out? I've beaten the Queen of Smiles and got to the Alchemist but it really feels like I'm missing something.

Learn to dodge through enemies by rubbing your face on them and then rolling. Unless you use a shield, you will fight pretty much every non-flying boss this way.

Do not invest in bows as they are bad. Most people report daggers are also bad. Pistols however are very good. The great- weapons are all overpowered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I didn't think that was even possible without speedrun skips.

• Locked thread