Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Gin_Rummy posted:

Well, after the longest offer negotiation ever (seriously, does it always take three weeks from the verbal offer to finalize the details?), I have decided to turn down the job. Their salary offer was well below my minimum and they didn't even attempt to meet me in the middle from my initial ludicrous salary "expectation," nor would they budge on any of the benefits or perks. Pretty disappointing, overall.

Anywho, I wrote up a nice little email saying I regretfully had to decline and all that, but they've now replied asking for a reason and they're wondering if the salary was my primary reason.

Is this standard protocol? I've never been in a position to turn down an offer, so this is new territory for me. I'm wondering if I should be truthful or if I should just give some BS "there were many factors at play" kind of response?

On top of what others have said, if you can post their response to your reasons for turning them down it might help the thread see the negotiation process from the other side. I'd guess the number one reason people don't negotiate is the fear of losing the offer and since you turned this one down, it could be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

The Capitulator posted:

Success story time (in part thanks to this thread).

My brother got an offer of X. I suggested he counter with X+15% and a USD 10k moving allowance to help with the move (moving across neighbouring countries). Only BATNA at the time was staying at home, no other offer on the table. We articulated the rationale (benchmark vs. market, move requires much cost etc). They accepted fully, no questions asked.

Nothing fancy or unusual but yet another example of ALWAYS NEGOTIATE.

This is the best kind.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Goodpancakes posted:

I've been sending out a ton of resumes and i got a response basically saying thanks for the resume please forward your salary expectations.

Now I haven't been interviewed and have no idea what the position would be paid. So it's a bit of an awkward spot for me. Suggestions?

How could you possibly know what your salary expectations are? You know a few things about the job based on the job posting and nothing about the other benefits (health insurance, vacation, retirement, ???). If you are bored you can ask them to make information on their employee benefits available to you so you can give an educated number (fat chance), but it is most likely that they will disappoint you with their salary expectations.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Blinky2099 posted:

Good point. I guess I felt bad for "wasting their time" but perhaps if I go in with a better strategy of making it clear they need to sell me on the job (without sounding like a dick/like im just applying for the sake of applying) it'll be more appropriate. My inexperience is showing here.

Current hiring practices include taking advantage of information asymmetry to reduce labor costs (read: pay people less). If the places you interview at were interested in skipping a few interviews they have alternatives, like posting the salary offer in the job posting. Don't worry about they company, they are getting what they want out of the process.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

PBS posted:

When I talked to the manager before it'd been finalized he seemed pretty excited about the offer. It's already about a 23% increase over what I was currently making for an internal promotion.

It's hard to get a good idea of what market value for the position is and then I'd also have to take my lack of experience into account.

It's a good opportunity overall, which is mainly why I don't really want to push it. I just fear that if I keep taking compensation on the low end of the scale for the position I'm going to end up grossly under-compensated for the work I'm doing as I progress.

You lack experience and are the lowest paid member of the team, doesn't that seem kind of normal to you? Also, it is almost a universal truth in the modern job market that you have to change companies to get a really good raise.

Edit: I should clarify that I don't know what others are making or their experience, so 63k could be terrible, I don't know. Since you, yourself, don't know what the value of the position or what value you bring to the table, it's hard for others here to have an opinion either way. If you have time to accept, you should make a concerted effort to figure out how to value yourself in the position, it will likely be the most rewarding work you put in.

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 19, 2016

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

PBS posted:

I appreciate the reply.

Yes, being on the low end with little specific experience makes sense. I know someone else at a similar experience level on the team making slightly more, I was expecting the same offer as them pretty much.

I don't know what other people on the team are making as a whole, it's not that hard to figure it out with time, but before I even start there I'm not going to know.

I personally tend to look at things in terms of value brought to the table. There are individuals on my current team making roughly 10k+ more (than the above offer) with the same title I currently have and no on call responsibilities (plus overtime eligible). They have been at the company longer, and in IT as a whole longer, but they don't seem to bring anymore value to the table than anyone else on that team or myself. Given that, it makes less sense to me from a value brought perspective that a higher level position should pay less than a lower level position. (If their time is so valuable why are they on an entry level team?)

Does that make more sense, or am I being unreasonable?

I do have a little bit of time to mull it all over before answering.

Ok, so you know what you want (to match the other person on the team you will be joining) and you know that there are people with less responsibilities (no on call) getting paid more than you and the person you want to match (I think). How do you know how much these other people are being paid? Can you use it? If your company has a policy of frowning on salary discussions between employees, you can't say why you are asking for more than the initial offer without causing these other people problems. I certainly wouldn't want to do that. Assuming that is the case, you are in a pretty weak negotiating position because your prospective boss likely knows you current salary and you already work for this company so if it goes badly it could affect your current job.

It seems like your biggest concern is that you don't want to be left behind on the pay scale over your career and not this job. In order to do that you are going to have to go out and apply/interview/negotiate at other places. As for this job, your only option appears to be to throw out a number close to the match (so you don't doxx your coworker) and see if they bite. Maybe someone else here has a better idea.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

a fleshy snood posted:

Well I just got out of an interview that I thought was going to be a disaster, but it actually went very well and they said they were going to send me an offer next week.

It's up in the 'dream job' category, but something the interviewer said kind of concerned me. It was along the lines of "we're a small company and aren't likely to offer a market salary" or something. He then pushed me to provide a salary expectation, but I declined (thanks thread). Is this just a tactic to try to lowball new candidates? I'm going to be pissed if their offer is lower or equivalent to my current salary, I don't want to have to pick between 'dream job' and 'reasonable income'.

They definitely know their pay scales are below average and are very likely to low ball you.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I've got nothing going for me. I've applied to dozens of places and the answer I keep getting is generally not enough relevant work experience or a lack of skills. Plus no degree hurts a lot too.

This is the first option I've gotten, and it isn't a good one honestly.

Your short term BATNA is not great because there are related companies looking to scoop up people on the cheap (who thinks this is a good way to get great employees?). But it sounds like it is also suffering because you don't have what employers consider a vital component to the job (the degree). Can you go to school? Have you considered other fields? If you are going to take a pay cut anyway, which it sounds like, maybe you can move to a field you have better prospects in or like more? What about UI? I'm not saying these are good options, I don't know what your responsibilities are. But there are other things you might be able to do other than take or leave this one job, no matter what you should probably working on your long term BATNA.

Ninja Edit?

Namarrgon posted:

This is your best option and should be the default option for anyone risking unemployment.

This is definitely true. It is the default option, but it isn't the only option.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Purple Prince posted:

You should try living in London. Enjoy living in poverty-like conditions (as in, a single room) AND being financially unstable AND commuting to get into Central. On a graduate salary. And there are no decent jobs anywhere else. Britain knows most about class warfare / keeping the proles down.

e: Also all major cities where there are jobs are either even pricier than London (Cambridge) or blasted hellscapes (Birmingham).

I'm sorta in the running for a job in Newcastle. Drop some knowledge on me about that, please.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Purple Prince posted:

:words: on Newcastle

Thanks for this. It appears the company drops applicants who don't reveal their current salary.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I had the interview and it went amazingly well. They seemed very impressed with me. It sounds like I'll more than likely get the job. I'm nervous about the pay part, though. When they asked me in the original email my salary needs, they said if the position doesn't meet my needs they could maybe find another one for me. They didn't say those exact words, but that was the gist of it. So I told them $65k. Afterward they asked me to interview for that position. I know I can't assume they'll just give me $65k, but how do I bring it up if they offer me the job without discussing pay without sounding ungrateful or whatever? Sorry if I sound silly. I'm not used to interviewing or changing jobs.

I would ask to discuss the entire benefits package comprehensively: retirement, health insurance, pay, PTO, sick leave, whatever else. They are asking you to sign a contract with them and you want to know all of the terms, right?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Spikes32 posted:

Well I got a no on the negotiation. The comp was already extremely competitive, and I don't have a better offer so I'm going to take it. Bummer but oh well. This is still nearly a 160% increase in my comp even after the cost of living increase.

Holy moly, gently caress yes.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Lockback posted:

I think people are generally too scare-monger-y about counters but I'd also say they are usually not ideal. You should never ask for one if your not 100% willing to take the other job, and you should use your head as to why your current employer forced you into looking elsewhere anyway. I think for situations where "My market rate grew faster than HR would allow to raise up, so the counter is a way to blast past those barriers" can be ok, for example. If you were getting passed up for promotion before, forcing a promotion now is probably not going to be an ideal situation. So if its for a higher title and more pay I think its unlikely accepting a counter would be a good move.

I certainly would never take "We'll hook you up later, just turn down the job offer now".

I also think usually leaving a company for a year or two and coming back is typically better overall.

BUT, you never know and you probably won't get stabbed for exploring it even if you'll almost certainly say no.

As was said elsewhere, internet people don't know your situation so take everything, both ways, with a grain of salt.

I’ve never understood the point of a counter offer, myself. HR thinks that counters are for short term retention because they think people leave bad managers, not low pay. On top of that, the things I would want in a counter would never be granted, like “fire that dumb poo poo C-Suite person.” So, I’ve never bothered and it is interesting to see a perspective where it might make sense.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Zarin posted:

Oof.

Yeah we get fluff pieces of the C-suite talking about their careers and every single one of the fuckers is like "oh my most important role was the one I was absolutely not prepared for but I took it and listened to the team and I learned so much, I was so absolutely humbled and honored to work alongside such shining examples of [corporate ideals]"

Then in my career discussion I suggest that I'm interested in taking the next step and my boss is like "oh but have you considered how much value a lateral could bring to your career?" and I'm like "Yeah, sure did, less than a promotion so gonna just angle to move up" and then after some back and forth I get a "just not sure you're ready yet, what if you did some extra prep work"?

Apparently "C-suite fuckwads won't shut up about how not ready they were for all their most transformative roles and I can deal with ambiguity so I'm gonna stretch myself " isn't the right answer because after like 20 seconds of awkward silence I got "Hmm, yes, but have you considered a lateral" and I just murmured some platitudes so I could get back to daydrinking because this all happened on a public holiday that accountants apparently don't get to have off because reasons.

I should never have attempted to improve my station in life and just kept playing videogames in an unsanitary hovel; I'd probably have been happier.

These interviews are a textbook case of survivorship bias. No one ever does these interviews with people who weren’t promoted. My workplace did this stuff (they labeled it career building) and I quickly realized that the interviewees were unremarkable and not even especially talented. What they got was opportunities to move up, learn things, and grow their profile.

If you want to move up the ladder, you have to work for people who are willing and able to promote you. Nothing else matters, not even your ability to do the job. Go out and try to find those people if you want to get promoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

elise the great posted:

Tbh half the reason my staff will follow me anywhere is that I have zero hierarchical ambition, less than zero corporate loyalty, and recognize that my job as “leader” is simply to ensure that labor has what they need to do their work. Anarchist principles make for great workplaces.

Being a filthy anarcho-commie “supervisor” does require me to live up to my values, though, which is how come my retention negotiation included raises and a promotion for other people. With merit and CoL raises this year + my retention demands, they’ll get about 10% each as well, and better leverage if/when they move on.

Can’t recommend highly enough the importance of stacking your team’s paper too. Not only does this make your negotiation stance better— nobody wants to have to replace you AND the six core staff who keep the place running AND a selection of the regular staff as well— it makes your job better all around.

You’d be a natural at Crusader Kings. Can’t go to your lord’s feasts, though.