Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

ADolan posted:

I just received a job offer for a company where I would be making $57k/year and receive a $2500 bonus payable after 90 days employment. This would be a huge leap from my previous job where I was only making $48k/year in a much more expensive city. Well before reading this thread, when I applied for the new job I mistakenly mentioned how much I made at my previous gig and asked for $55k/year for desired salary. My question is whether it's still worth negotiating for more money since they knew how much I made at my old position, and I asked for less than what they offered. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Anecdotally, I got offered more than I asked for initially for my current job and then asked for more after getting more details on the benefits since they were substantially worse than my former employer's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Spoderman posted:

I just interviewed recently and got an offer. During the interview, I mentioned a target (I know... I didn't start reading up on this stuff until after the interview...) and the offer I got is higher than my target. They know I'm between jobs right now, although I got another offer at the same time from another firm for slightly less. Even though I don't have much leverage, can I still ask for more? The job looks great, I just don't want to leave any money on the table.

I completely agree with

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

You can. It's tactically riskier than I'd like. You don't have a job right now, and your other offer is worse by the sounds of it. They offered you more than you asked for, which will mean their first question is "We were generous and offered you more than your target. Why should we bump up even more past that?" Seeing as your other offer is worse, any answer you offer comes down to "I want more money."

You could take the high offer to the low offer to see if they'll bump up any. But I don't think trying to nudge up your high offer after they exceeded a goal you gave them is the right play for where you are right now.

CarForumPoster posted:

Yea this. I know there are many youtubes and some in this thread that say always negotiate but I am firmly in the camp of having an "absolute minimum" and a "just say yes price" in mind by the end of the interview just in case (which requires a lot of research before the interview). I firm these numbers up with more data and comparing responsibilities and benefits after the interview if they didnt make an offer right then.

but if you have an actual reason for the ask, it doesn't always have to play as just greedy.

:siren:ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE:siren:

For my current role, I gave my just say yes number when repeatedly asked for a number by the internal recruiter before moving forward with an offer (I know...) and they came in a few thousand above it. I asked for the benefit package information as well and it was pretty terrible compared to every other company I'd been with. Because the benefits weren't great, I countered with a higher base than their offer stating that "the target I gave assumed similar benefits as my current company" and their benefits were significantly worse as my justification. It delayed the final offer a bit because apparently it had to be approved since I think I came in near the top of their range for my level, but in the end they agreed.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

drive me nuts to school posted:

I work for a large grocer and they match 50% up to 3% contributions, aka 1.5%.

However, they also give you 8.5% of your salary in company stock in addition to the match.

I get 50% match up to first 6% (so 3%) with a 1 year vesting. Though the company also just automatically contributes 4% to your 401k regardless. So, 7% after everything. But the 4% replaced a pension, so...

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Gin_Rummy posted:

You know what, you're right. I think those other companies do have accrual during the first year, so I might not even need to worry.

:siren:Anecdotal Evidence:siren:

Just make sure to bring it up before you start/accepting the offer and, like the poster above said, don't phrase it as a question. Let them know it's already planned/paid for. Even in places with accrual, they can generally waive whatever for you if they want you in the door (or just not put it in the system as "vacation" or something like that). At my current place, I started November 30, 2015 and was then on vacation from Dec. 8th or so until Jan. 2nd. All paid. Similar situation at the employer before that.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

shame on an IGA posted:

The local chevy dealership here just had 100% turnover after being sold, new owners told everyone who had been there for decades "Well you're all new hires to us so no vacation for 12 months" and was met with "Suck our dicks from the back"

This is amazing. Did everyone leave within a month of each other or was it a slow trickle out?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

interrodactyl posted:

Say that you consider compensation to be a whole benefits package, of which salary is one part. If they need a number to move forward, put the max allocated for the position. Tell them you're more concerned about it being a good mutual fit, and if you and the company both agree on that during the process, you're sure the numbers can be worked out.

(The numbers may not work out.)

I like this quite a bit, specifically putting the max allocated if they just have to have a number.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Need some advice on leveraging an upcoming job offer with my current employer.

tl;dr I'm being poached by a former colleague from a job I really like in a city I really like for another role I'm pretty sure I would like a lot as well in a much more expensive city. Unsure if the offer will be good enough to get me to move out to the more expensive city and want to know how to leverage it at my current employer.

So, I'm coming up on an odd situation and need some advice. I currently work for a management consulting company and I am an Associate (3rd level up from the bottom of the ladder). I like my job, I'm good at it, and I feel like I'm continually learning and developing with most new projects. Unfortunately, I have a manager who's not really invested in developing his direct reports and won't "go to bat" for me when it comes to it. Last year around performance review time, every senior consultant (two or three levels higher than myself) I worked with agreed that I should be promoted to Senior Associate because I greatly outperformed the expectations of a new hire at my level and have acted largely independently (at a senior associate level according to other senior consultants) to good results. Because I'd only been there a year, my manager wasn't optimistic about the promotion because "[company] doesn't promote to that level after only one year generally." I didn't get promoted.

Fast forward to this year, we acquired a company and had some restructuring. I (and a portion of the team I was on) were moved into the new group that was formed due to the acquisition. I pushed to be promoted to Senior Associate again at midyear review because the reorg necessitated that I would be working even more independently and running my own projects and being at an Associate level would make that harder because people would see "Associate" next to my name and assume I'm not the one running the show on my work stream. Manager said he would try but still wasn't optimistic because midyear promotions aren't common. There were midyear promotions (within our group and adjacent groups even) and I still wasn't promoted and, like I feared, I've run into a few instances where I've had to fight and prove to senior consultants outside of our area that I know what I'm doing when it comes to my work, which just slows everything down and makes things inefficient when they won't let me do my job.

Now, I'm being recruited by a former colleague of mine who left my current company to manage an analytics practice for a tech company. I'm very optimistic that I'll receive an offer as she is the hiring manager, knows what I'm capable of, and we've already discussed the role at length. I've gone through most of the interview process and the last step is flying out to meet her boss. The main issue is that the position is in SF and I live in a city with a much lower cost of living. While I think the role would be a good one for me, I don't think they'll be able to offer me the money I'd *want* to live in SF at the same level I'm currently living in my current city. For reference, I currently make $90k base + 8% - 15% bonus depending on how the company did, how I did, etc. It looks like the SF role maxes out at about $120k (maaaaaybe $130k but I think the hiring manager would have to seriously fight to get there) and I would only feel comfortable making the move out to SF if I'm offered $130k or more.

So, how do I leverage the upcoming offer with my current company outside of our normal performance review/promotion schedule without laying an ultimatum down between promotion or me taking another job I may or may not want to take depending on the offer? I don't really want to leave my current city or this job yet but I am getting frustrated at being at this lower level (with the lower pay) when everyone agrees I should be at a higher level and feeling a bit underpaid for the amount of work I'm doing. The common advice seems to be that having the offer just lets you negotiate with your employer from a place of confidence rather than showing the offer and asking them to match but I'm not sure I could because I don't think the offer will be good enough that I'll want to take it AND the timing is off. Our next performance review isn't until the end of the year and this offer will most likely come in October, so I can't wait it out until it makes the most sense to bring it up during the review. For reference, if the new role is able to get to $130k or more (assuming the rest of the package is acceptable), I would probably make the move and the desire to stay at my current company would be about equal with the desire to be in the new role.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 1, 2017

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Figure out the cost of living increase and what percentage of your income goes to stuff that would become more expensive if you move. I realize this may be hard to tell for some things - groceries probably aren't going to change in price by the same proportion as rent but they will change. Your rent may double or whatever, but that's okay if your rent isn't a huge portion of your income. Your, say, 401k contribution "cost" isn't going to increase. Maybe you won't need a car in SF and that will save you money? (I had a similar situation where my rent would go up 2.5x and I sold my car and moved anyway and it turned out to be a fantastic decision.) Another perk of high COL/high income is that, if you want to leave, you can still take that high income with you when you negotiate for future positions regardless of where they are.

There are a obviously a lot of intangibles as an adult moving to a new city. I personally love living in a major city and wouldn't give it up unless I had to, but you may not feel that way especially since you say you love your current city.

I'm actually in Chicago, so equivalent major cities, with no car and better transit than SF (imo). I've done some calculations and rent is the biggest change for sure since I don't want roommates since I haven't had them for 5+ years. That's where I got the $130k figure. At that point, I'm pretty sure, financially, I'll be in a similar place as in Chicago. The other thing is I came to Chicago from NYC with the salary I have now because of COL and I'm a little reticent to jump back into an extremely expensive city again even with a 35% increase in base.

I'm more worried about if the offer isn't quite good enough, how can I use it to better my situation with my current employer.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 1, 2017

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

spf3million posted:

I moved to the East Bay from Chicago 2 years ago and you're right. Rent is higher, especially in SF, but I didn't see a significant increase in prices of much else.

Regarding the promotion, do you have any interactions with your boss's boss? Can you present your case to him/her? Did you ask your boss or his boss what you needed to do to get a promotion? Unfortunately, it seems like time/seniority plays a bigger part than pure merit. This is the main reason why jumping between companies is the tried and true path to advancement.

For example- I approached my supervisor about a promotion after working over a year ago at my first mid year review. I presented why I thought I deserved it, brought along the published career tech ladder and showed where I thought I was and asked for his feedback. He agreed I was on the right path and to keep doing what I'm doing. At the time I was a year and a half short of the "typical" time in the industry for my next promo. He said he put in for me at the last round of promotions (apparently they typically done at a certain time of year at this company, not aligned with year end reviews). Still haven't gotten that promo yet despite being assured twice over the last 6 months that it has been in the works. In the mean time, I've been approached about two other internal positions, both of which involve promotions, one of which is actually for a position two levels higher, discussed these with my boss, still no promo almost 2 months later. Just my personal experience, but I'm convinced I'm going to have to either take one of the internal moves or look externally to keep going up. I thought that maybe the internal job offers would incentivize my boss to try to keep me around but it doesn't seem like it's going to make a difference. My last company was similar in that they'd hire people in from outside at higher levels than their time in industry would typically place them.

Unfortunately, I can't go to his boss because his current boss isn't his actual boss anymore thanks to the reorg and we don't have a real rapport anyway. And your story sounds depressingly familiar. :smith:

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

90% of people who leave a position do so because of the relationship with the person to whom they're a direct report. If you don't feel supported and encouraged day in and day out by your boss, directly, one of two things are true: 1) you're a bad employee or 2) he or she is a bad manager. If it's one, then hey no problem keep doing what you're doing and cash those checks, homie. If it's two, you're going to have to pull one of an increasingly disruptive series of levers to get what should be your due.

LochNessMonster posted:

I realize this is the negotiation thread but I'm with EAT FASTER!!!!! on this one. If your boss has no motivation to arrange anything he's not interested in you and probably can't be bothered to do so in the future.

Either jump to a different department in your company with the help of the people who recommended you to get a promotion or jump ship.

I doubt your boss will do stuff to help you along unless it directly affects his performance review.

It's definitely #2. He's a bad manager. He's a great consultant who I don't think wanted or needed people management responsibilities but they were thrust on him before I came to the company and here we are. I'm always the one who initiates performance discussions, goal setting, etc. If I didn't, we'd never discuss anything related to my career.

I guess I'll see where this offer comes in and just make a determination from there to jump ship or stay. I don't know if I can even leverage it with a manager like mine and that was my main fear/concern. At least it'll be a good starting point on knowing my worth as I get back on the job market.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

From my own experience the best way to frame it is:

- I went out and did discovery in the market and I believe I'm worth $X based on competing offers of $X.
- I didn't come here to put a gun to your head. I'd like to continue working here, let's correct my compensation so that my market value doesn't motivate me to leave.
- I'm specifically worth this correction because of <X, Y, and Z tangible goals and accomplishments you've already made>

The lovely things you could say, and do not say, are that it will cost so much to replace you, or that they've been getting a good deal so far because you were underpaid and now it's time to pay up. The former because you're now talking about imposing costs on them punitively, as opposed to making the conversation collaborative and constructive. The latter you do not say because so long as you're employed by someone else and not an equal partner they're paying you less than you make them and complaining about that means that they need to stop thinking of you as a useful employee.

Bringing this back up because it's relevant for me again. I went out to do my discovery and I received two job offers, both of which I ended up turning down for different reasons. Both were a decent jump from my current salary/benefits and were internal positions (I'm in consulting) but would have required me to move after I just moved (less than three months at the time of the offers) to a city I've been wanting to live in for a while or just wasn't the best fit. Is this discussion path still worth pursuing if I don't have the offers currently, since I already turned them down, when discussing compensation with my current company? I know what I'm worth on the market, even if I didn't want to take those specific positions but I'm not sure if I should bring up the fact that I've gone exploring if I'm not prepared to jump ship with an extended offer sitting in hand.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Yeah you can just say "I have an offer for <amount>" even if you decided not to take it. The downside is, if they say "okay well go take that then", you won't be able to. Hopefully this doesn't affect your confidence in how you say what you have to - you have to believe you have that offer(and...it'd probably be pretty easy for you to go get another internal offer if you've already done it twice, so you kinda do.)

Just had a talk with my manager and the promotion I mentioned earlier in the thread is looking much more likely as he's recommended me for the jump and his boss (partner - head of our group) supports the promotion. So, I think I'll try to line up another offer or two around the time I find out if I'm promoted (should know by January) and the pay increase that comes along with that. If it's not where I want to be, we'll revisit this conversation so I can actually leave if they don't want to play ball.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 8, 2017

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why are you saying gently caress California for a rule change that would have benefited you

Glad it wasn't just me. I thought I was misreading it somehow.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Goodpancakes posted:

I made it to 4th interview as one of two candidates for a position I wasn't huge on. I've done the job before and it's okay but I'm not thrilled about it. So I know I'm gonna ask for a lot of money. I manage to get the salary range out of the HR guy and they are paying 58-72. Great! I've done this job before, know my poo poo, I ask for 70 in the job interview.

I don't get it, but that's okay. I find this out because the guy who does get it calls me for a reference. We worked at the same company learning this same sort of job. He has more experience then me and has a certification (not required for the position). I know he doesn't know how much he is worth or how to negotiate. When they asked him what he wanted he asked for 22 an hour, they gave him 25.

This thread is doing the Lord's work

Jesus. I'm not sure if it's better to tell him so he can try to fix it later or just let him think he's doing fine.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Eric the Mauve posted:

Too late to fix it now, only thing he can do is immediately start looking for a job somewhere else. Not like his new employer is going to give him a 50% pay increase if he comes back immediately and says "actually after accepting your offer I checked and it turns out I way underbid, 50% pay increase plz"

I meant in the coming year or so. He can try to spin increases at review time somehow? Maybe?

Who am I kidding? He's done. I'm surprised they didn't even offer him the bottom of the range.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Goodpancakes posted:

He called me asking for a reference and that's when I found out he was the other candidate. I asked him what he asked for and he told me 22 an hour. I was totally stunned. I told him then on the phone what they told me. 58-72. At that point he didn't know what they were going to offer him. His negotiation for pay would begin the next day when they officially sent a written offer. Why he didn't ask for more money then I do not know. Maybe he couldn't believe how loving terribly underpaid his previous position was. He trained me at my last position, has a few years more experience, and a certification and I negotiated to be paid more then him when we worked together. Because I was making more then 22 an hour then.

This is what happens when you don't know what you are worth and how to negotiate.

I feel this entire story needs to go in the OP as a warning.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Kudaros posted:

They just called and offered me the max anyway. Start in two weeks. What an insane jump.

Congrats! I always get a good tingle when goons do well with job offers.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I think they were just trying to be helpful because someone getting their first relocation package may ask for $7K and not realize that the company is going to take that as gross, not net.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I don't think PTO should be a thing that increases over time at all. A boon to a unicorn decade-long employee isn't the worst thing in the world but I think it should be the same for everyone. :shrug:

Completely agree. I've never understood why companies stick to the archaic more-PTO-the-longer-you-stay thing when people aren't sticking around anymore. It's never a selling point. Or accruals throughout the year. I don't get that either. People aren't allowed to travel at the beginning of the year?

Our company bases it on title. Associates get X days, Senior Associates get Y, etc. All available day 1. It's better than the tenure system but still not perfect.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

bamhand posted:

What's wrong with accruing hours as you work? Like you get 3 hours off per 40 hours you've worked. That seems like it would be the most fair system and is completely independent of the calendar year.

Since people jump around a lot now, you can never really take a vacation depending on your timing. Also, this assumes carryover which I don't think a lot of companies do. So, you just have no one taking vacation early in the year and everyone trying to leave near the end.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Eric the Mauve posted:

You’re not going to get them a dime higher than $60K (now they know your current/last salary was significantly less than that) so probably the best plays are:

1. Getting a better offer from another company

2. Saying “the question only asked about salary” and asking for the sun moon and stars when it comes to nonsalary comp: PTO, WFH, flex time, 401k match, etc.

Can you negotiate that? I've never heard of variable matching rates per employee before.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

bamhand posted:

I just got more base salary when I negotiated because the match at my company now is bad.

I did the same thing but because of their health benefits. My previous employer had really good, cheap options.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Of course you can! Everything is always negotiable.

Seriously though, you are of course correct that the percentage is pretty much always carved into diamond, but at many companies the matching doesn’t start until you’ve been there six months or a year or whatever, and that can definitely be negotiated to Right Away.

And yeah if the retirement benefits are bad that’s definitely excellent cause to say “yeah, your 401k match sucks so I’m definitely going to need more salary to make up for it.”

Ok, yeah that makes sense. I've never had a delayed match and forgot that was a thing.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

All it takes is one year of the company "not meeting its goals" (company could still be profitable for the year) and all of a sudden your bonus shrinks or disappears.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Consulting bonuses are not guaranteed but they are not anything like normal corporate bonuses.

this, for instance, is not really true

Except it is. I'm in consulting and a large portion of people got smaller bonuses this year because the company overall didn't meet goals (but was still profitable and grew). Our group got our full bonuses because we had a stellar year but not everyone else did.

They didn't disappear overnight or anything but it's never guaranteed.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 14, 2018

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Busy Bee posted:

I really appreciate everyone's comments and advice. I already started networking and looking at other opportunities a few days after they laid off my boss.

Another stressful aspect of my current situation is that the woman that I now report to is, out of my career, the most immature and patronizing person I have ever had to report to. When it comes to work, she's very knowledgeable but her emotional intelligence is lacking and she constantly patronizes me and it is clear that she does not take me or my capabilities seriously. This is the complete polar opposite of my previous boss that they laid off. This isn't my first job so I really understood and appreciated how amazing my previous boss that they laid off was and I never ever took a day with him for granted. He trusted me, was always respectful, and always had my back.

I guess this situation just adds more determination in me to find a new opportunity somewhere else but any advice would also be appreciated. There are some work days where my mood does a complete 180 and I not only feel underappreciated, I feel that I have the whole weight of the company on my shoulders. I will not overwork my self and prioritize my job search.

Embrace the coast while you job hunt

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Even if they do offer you more money, do you want to work there? You know raises will be crappy since they criminally underpay already and no benefits.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'm not sure if it's the jobs I'm applying to or maybe the companies but I've been having no issues deflecting comp stuff from recruiters this time around. I'm definitely midcareer now vs when I was last on a serious job hunt but it still seems odd.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

As I prep for this in-person job interview later this morning, I'm realizing that I'm a bit more senior than this role requires. I guess it's still interview experience and, if we get to the offer stage, I'll just use this as a chance to negotiate for better title/responsibilities/pay but I really should've paid more attention on this one. I've been apply to/getting contacted by a lot of companies that define level later in the process and job title descriptions don't reflect what level you may actually come into the organization (e.g., an advertised "Analyst" position could be a senior person or an entry-level person depending on their credentials, experience, etc.). I don't think that's the case here but we'll find out I guess!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Rex-Goliath posted:

I guess I'll repost this here because I'm proud of myself for finally doing this right

Nice new thread title. Also good job. Feels good, right? I've only had to do the same once because the recruiter would not stop asking. It didn't go much further after that, which I consider a bullet dodged.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, I've been moving through a hiring process with a tech company in the Bay (I'm in Chicago) and I put the initial salary discussion on hold in typical fashion (need to know full scope of role, benefits package, etc.). Now that they want to fly me out for a final in-person interview with the team, the recruiter wants to have a quick chat around comp again to feel me out. I've never done a separate follow up call just on comp before an offer so not sure how to play this exactly. Their benefits are actually publicly available and the recruiter gave me the link after our initial call so I have that info but still don't want to throw out a number first since Bay area and I don't want to lowball myself. Any suggestions for this scenario?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

asur posted:

You can ask for the salary range of the position and they are required to give it in California. They don't need to include equity which is a pretty signficant part of your total compensation though. Not a Children gave the following in YOSPOS, "I'd like to evaluate the offer as a whole, including salary, benefits, and leave time. Please send me all available information and we can discuss after I've had a chance to review all aspects of compensation." or "I don't have a number in mind, but will consider any reasonable offer. I'm sure we can come to a mutually satisfying agreement.". I'd highly advocate continued deflection, but if you don't think you'll be able to do that then researching total compensation on levels.fyi and paysa and having a number in mind prior to the conversation is better than randomly throwing something out.

Not a Children posted:

To add to the post above mine: you're in a pretty good position here to deflect, the recruiter can't do poo poo because you have a reasonable excuse for putting off money talk.
Just tell him you want to get a better understanding of the full scope of the job experiences and find out whether it's a good fit. Nuance matters here: Do not say it in a way that explicitly defers money talk until later. Deflect completely and leave the ball in their court so they can't pester you about the number later "because you said you'd talk money after XYZ."

Every day you buy in terms of talking to the potential employer is another day they've sunk into you, and another opportunity to show them something to further entice them. I wouldn't even ask for the range. Just go there, wow 'em, and let 'em stew til they cough up a number.

Thank you both! This is helpful.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So I think I'm in a position where I think I have to know when I've won and just accept without negotiating. This is for a literal dream job.

Current comp - Chicago
Current base salary
15% bonus target
Extremely good time off I can actually use ( > 6 weeks)
7% 401k contribution
Standard health options

Offer comp - NYC
1.6x current base salary
15% bonus target (theoretically higher depending on performance)
95k equity (4 year vest)
10k relocation bonus (+ one month corporate housing to look for apt once I've moved)
4 weeks PTO but unlimited sick time
~3.5% 401k contribution
All medical/dental/vision paid for by company
Tons of other ancillary benefits that I'll actually use

I'm not even sure what I could negotiate here. This is the job I wanted in a city I really enjoy with much higher comp and WAY better benefits. Also the recruiter made very sure to emphasize that base isn't really negotiable because it's based on level and they're extremely focused on parity/pay equity.

Is there anything I'm not thinking about?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Dik Hz posted:

Recruiters say that poo poo all the time to try to close deals. Don't trust them. Worst case scenario is "No". Best case scenario is that they pull the offer, telling you exactly what kind of assholes they are. Caveat: If the offer is well above market rate, you'll look out-of-touch counter-offering. How does this offer compare to the market rate in NYC?

It is an internal recruiter to be fair and I do know they actually do a lot of pay equity work (this is part of my field) but I agree. But, the offer is probably a good notch above market rate for the area based on what I know. Also, I do have another offer on the table, and they were aware of that.

e: changed how much above market it is and more details

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 23, 2019

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Thanks all for the wake up call. Definitely going to negotiate and frame how a few people put it (I'm ready to sign if we can get to X...), with justification around loss of 401k contributions if asked.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Yeah, I used to live in NYC and when I moved to Chicago I essentially got a pretty big raise from the tax changes alone. Not looking forward to ~ city tax ~ again.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Asked for an 8% bump in total comp and we have a call set for later today to discuss. Thanks for all the input goons! Hopefully I'll have something to enter into the spreadsheet soon. Is that still a thing?

UPDATE: no movement on the offer. It was literally their best offer for the role/level I'd be coming in, which I had a feeling was the case for a few reasons:

1) They came in above their own stated ranges (HQ is in California so they have to provide ranges if asked) for both base salary and equity
2) I had another offer on the table (which they knew)
3) I killed the interviews during the onsite
4) They're hiring really hard on this team for NYC and want people there ASAP

Regardless, I've officially accepted and now we're working through paperwork. So, nothing to add to the spreadsheet but good practice in negotiating for an offer that's already really good.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 25, 2019

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I just worked with the best (internal) recruiter of my life and it really makes a difference. This hiring process was a dream (if a bit long).

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

It probably says something to me that this doesn't register as skeezy, but it's almost quaint next to the worst things I've known third party recruiters to do.

Yeah, I had a @fb.com reach out to me last year out of the blue. I wasn't looking at the time but it was a bit weird because it was a direct email and I hadn't applied for anything previously

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

People are crushing it in here recently and it makes me so happy!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Fhqwhgads posted:

This thread taught me how to clearly state increases in responsibility and my new boss was able to explain that to HR who took a look at my salary and basically said "No that's not right" so now I'm practically doubling my salary on an internal transfer and I probably wouldn't have gotten anything if I didn't know to raise the issue properly.

Congrats! Most times you have to leave to get this to happen (I just did).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Rex-Goliath posted:

That’s my read on it too, yeah.

Also this. I didn’t respond with that but that was the takeaway I got. They COULD make things work but I’m going to have to threaten them more aggressively to get it. That’s not acceptable to me because I’m not even asking to be lifted above the payband. I just want to be in it.

It was real disappointing because I thought this place would be better than that.

It's a hard lesson to learn but almost no company is "better than that"