Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

district 12 posted:

Hello thread,

I am in the midst of a very successful interviewing process and the next step is speaking to the owner, which will likely result in an offer. The job title is Digital Content Producer/Editor but because it's a small company, based on what my interview process has been like so far, I'll be managing, editing, and/or writing nearly every bit of copy for the site.

I've been burned before by a "small" company paying me a barely-livable salary and I don't want to repeat that mistake, but this job is the most ideal next step I could have asked for in my career, so walking away will be really, really hard.

Basically, if they lowball me, how do I bump up the salary significantly? Without Glassdoor for the company, how can I anticipate what they might offer me to prepare for negotiations? It seems like a successful business, based on the press they get, but during the interview the person I spoke with kinda emphasized that it's a small operation.

I know what I want and I know that I deserve it because I am talented, but if they offer me 20k less than my desired salary... can I say, "All my research has shown that a comparable position makes $XXk a year and I would like a salary commensurate with my experience, talent, and the going market rate"?

Because I've tried that before, and it got me $35k in NYC. That was a really rough year.

Is your current salary also 20k less than your desired salary? If so, it sounds like you have terrible BATNA and need to go out and get multiple offers that corroborate your desired salary. If not, then use your current salary as well as your research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you are willing to take the other offer than you can ask for a 30% raise to stay. I wouldn't mention cost of living as the company doesn't care.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

Companies need to pay appropriately for the cost of living where they are located, this is why even entry level work in San Francisco is often over $100K. While you're correct that it's not strictly their problem it's totally reasonable to ask for a 30% raise if that's how much more it costs to live there.

Note that many companies (especially old fashioned companies) don't do this and just have some arbitrary definition of what seems "fair" or not, and will simply refuse to pay a secretary $100K regardless of location. You don't want to work for those people.

No, they don't. Companies in high cost of living areas do generally pay more, but the driver behind that is competition to acquire and retain talent. People want to living in high CoL areas and thus a company may not need to cover the full difference. If you have access to your companies pay bands at different locations, you could check for yourself, but I can almost guarantee that the difference is less than the cost of living difference. One other factor as Dwight pointer out, is that CoL has less of an impact as your income grows as well.

I don't see any issue asking for a large raise to stay if you're willing to leave and have an offer in hand with the normal caveats. The one thing that isn't entirely clear is if the large raise would put him above the expected salary in Boston, if so then I would expect some push back as that is going to be a large factor in determining if it's reasonable and you probably don't have a lot of leverage with an offer in a different city that is substantially lower in absolute terms.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Are there any guidelines for negotiating if you have multiple offers without a strong preference between them? I'm assuming you want to mention that you have a better offer to improve your BATNA and get them to offer more. Is there a limit to how many times you can come back to the company asking for more because of a better offer? It seems like people would get annoyed or is this just expected?

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Remove the biweekly part and it would be better to focus on value you add as the manager doesn't care about cost of living if he can get someone for that salary.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You should talk to a lawyer before you quit or in any way communicate that you are quitting.

Edit: is there some confusion over who gives a recommendation? I just don't see you're boss giving a good rec if you quit with zero notice without a compelling reason that he would accept. A hostile work environment is a legitimate reason to quite with no notice, but you're boss probably won't see it that way and reporting him to HR would kill any chance whatsoever. I don't want this to come across as that you shouldn't report him, but I think you need to weigh the consequences against potentially helping other people in the office.

asur fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 29, 2016

asur
Dec 28, 2012

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

Company A gave me an offer! Hurrah!
Company B interviewed me and said I was their best candidate by far, and there is only one candidate interviewing after me.

I like Company B better, but they said I can expect a response Tuesday or Wednesday, and Company A said they need a response by Monday.

What do I do?

Ask company A for more time and tell company B that you need a response asap because you have an offer from another company but would prefer them. You can pretty much give any reason to A but a common one is that you need to discuss it with your family.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Total compensation has been calculated differently by all three companies I've worked at. The first pretty much didn't calculate it, the second included everything (insurance, 401k match, vacation, etc), and the third calculates it as salary + bonus + equity. The second companies method seems the most useful, but some benefits are not easily quantifiable such as health insurance so even with that you'd have a hard time comparing between companies.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You need to sell why the EMBA is more efficient and worth $36k to them. The proposal you wrote doesn't do that and in fact sounds really odd that you've finished an 1/8 of the degree and are just now realizing that it's more efficient. Also, don't put quotes around your day job, I wouldnt even call it a day job.

I wouldn't offer alternatives that lower the cost to the hospital as it's self defeating.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

My chief engineer shot down me moving saying I was critical to the program. My current group manager was slightly annoyed as they were trying to get a promotion for me already through the convoluted mess and don't like that continuing to do that looks like they're responding to me making a threat. Negotiating subverted :/

I realize this it too late for you, but for everyone else. Threatening to leave for an internal position will backfire on you in 90%+ of companies as your manager can block the transfer, has no reason to give you anything and will probably take it personally. Pretty much the only time it works is if they can't and for the same reason as an external offer I would generically recommend against taking a counter offer.

As someone else said, you should leave.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
It sounds to me like you got screwed and are trying to convince yourself that you didn't and thus don't need to leave. Your list of reasons to stay isn't very persuasive as you could potentially get everything you are getting and more at another company and this is ignoring that your manager torpedoed a transfer and promotion and also appears to have reduced the possibility that he'll promote you. Finally you being critical isn't your loving problem. I doubt you are, but if you were then the company should be compensating you accordingly and if an offer to transfer is compelling then they aren't and you should leave.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

William Munny posted:

So I'm posting this for my g/f relating to a pay increase discussion that should be happening March. She currently makes 15.25/hr with an hour minimum of 44 and a hour maximum of 47.5 hours per week. She's been with her company 1yr on 1/4 with 9 months in a different role. When she left her old position she was making more as she was required to work 50-60 hours a week at the same hourly rate, so she was doing a lot more overtime. Her current position is less stressful, but obviously pays less so she was hoping to get an increase to at least her old pay if not more.

Her performance has been above and beyond in her current role. If she were to get 17/hr that would bring her to her old total compensation. Should she ask for something more like 17.75ish? She's concerned because she feels that her boss would freakout if she asked for something that high as it would make her the highest paid in her division and that he would shut down all discussion and only give her a .25 cent raise as that is the max amount for a standard raise (usually .10 - .25). Also she states that HR has told her other benefits are non-negotiable and they are based on seniority with the company.

The only compelling argument here is based on performace. If she can show that she performs better than someone that is paid more then she has a chance to get a raise to at least what that person is making. I think it's highly unlikely that she gets an increase that makes her the highest paid in the division though as she's only been there three months and 20% is a huge increase. This is all entirely dependent on the boss being able and willing to fight for her as he's probably going to get pushback. She's basically negotiating at the wrong time as she had BATNA when she accepted the job and switched roles. As a side note, I would not bring up the difference in pay between the current role and the role with overtime as you can't compare a role that works more hours to one that doesn't.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Hughlander posted:

Looks like this was well timed. I was catching up on the thread with the intent to post this:

One thing that I feel is missing in this thread is how some of the guidelines posted change once you start considering middle management.

IE: The adage, "Never consider bonus as part of your compensation." Works when that bonus is 10-15% of base, but probably falls by the wayside when your bonus is 60-100% of your base. At that point what impact does it have on your thought process?

How do you value the loss of the never-ending RSUs that arrive each quarter vs starting from scratch with a year delayed initial grant? I'm 5 years into a 4 year vesting cycle and just keep getting them multiple times a quarter now.

Etc...

What were the biggest differences you found when negotiating as a director/exec vs line manager (Or individual contributor if that's where you started.)

I don't think that adage works even at 10% - 15% as that's still a substantial amount of your total compensation. It's a risk though so you have to discount the value based on your expectation of receiving it. I think the same thing applies to a cliff in an equity grants, reduce the value by the chance you won't receive it which should hopefully be pretty low.

I'm not certain what you're talking about with starting over within RSUs other than the cliff. You have a total compensation number and I'm assuming you would take a new job if they offered a lower total comp number unless you're leaving for reasons other than money.

As a note my perspective is from an individual contributor that receives a fairly large bonus and RSUs if that matters.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Caustic posted:

Thanks to this thread, I managed to NOT reveal my salary requirements for an initial call with a recruiter. I held firm until the recruiter eventually revealed their own target salary number. I told the recruiter I wanted to learn more about the position before I talked more about salary. Since then I've been proceeding along in the interview process with the hiring manager and have inside word that I'm a top candidate and am pretty sure an offer is forthcoming.

While the salary the recruiter named for the role is good, it's only about 2% more than my current base salary and I'd really like at least 10%+ more than current.

Total compensation is a consideration, as my current company has crappy bonuses (none or 1%), and no 401(k) matching while this new potential employer has 10% bonuses, matching 401(k), and an ESPP.
The recruiter hasn't asked about total comp at my current company.

How do I best negotiate salary from here? Do I reveal that my current salary is essentially the same as the number the recruiter provided? Should I be honest that I'm looking for 15% more than current and settle for 10%?

I would start by asking for 15% - 20% more without revealing your salary and if needed for leverage then reveal it. Try to steer the conversation away from total compensation as that comparison is not favorable to you. You can make the argument about take home pay or something similar.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Gin_Rummy posted:

Alright, just got my official offer after reviewing the benefits over the last few days. When I last spoke to the recruiter she said that the way they make offers is by weighing past experience, education, etc and then making what they consider to be a final number. She made it a point to say that "there won't really be much negotiation from this number."

That being said, I'm ok with the number they're offering if it truly is non-negotiable, but I could have some trouble moving within a reasonable distance to work. Nobody cared to mention that this was a "local candidates only" position until then, so they aren't willing to offer relocation. Now, I am technically local, but it's about an hour+ away from where I currently live. What are the odds I can at least get them to buy out my current lease, or pay for a moving truck, or something?

Signing bonuses are generally easier to negotiate than salary as they're a one time payment, but if they've already said no to relocation I don't know how much luck you'll have. Generally the worst that can happen is they'll say no.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If they gave you a range in an interview and then an offer below that range I would definitely come back with an ask within the range.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

bolind posted:

We have very little inflation in my locale currently - about 1%.

Again, very low inflation.

I have developed new skills. I have created things that no one else had thought of before, I have become either the authority or matched the previous authority in a number of areas, and while I haven't put in a string of 100-hour weeks, I have frequently stayed around to make sure we met goals when things were busy.

I'm not so much irritated that I'm not given a certain percentage raise. My entire career (~10 years) has been very low raises broken up by huge leaps after getting a new job. I'm mainly irritated and puzzled that my boss would go about things like he did.

He's trying to set expectations though his way of communicating it was pretty bad. Advice here is going to have to be company specific. I'd say in general your raise is tied to your performance review and there is probably very little leeway for your manager without pulling the money from someone else on the team. Also based on the conversation snippet it sounds like he already knows what you're going to get.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

So what's the best way to delay definitively accepting a position?

Basically, I'm going to get offered a position at company A, but I'm waiting to hear back from company B who I'm pretty confident I'll be offered a position, but am still waiting to hear back.

I've never been in this position so I've never had to deal with this before, do I basically just say, "I need some time to consider"?

Ask for time to consider it and drag out negotiations. At the same time tell the company that you have an offer and that will speed up their timeline.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

tesilential posted:

This thread has excellent advise, but is extremely risk adverse with regards to counter offers.

My one anecdote is my ex was making 44K at a small company selling scientific equipment. The only direct competitor around found her on LinkedIn and ended up offering 68k for her to join them. She put in her 2 weeks and the current boss immediately offered her 76k to stay, which she accepted. That was about 4 years ago and she's still there today.

Im of the opinion that if they take the time to fight for you, they actually want you to stay.

They want you to stay because you leaving makes their life more difficult. This doesn't mean they want you to stay long term or won't hold it against you for being 'disloyal'. There are exceptions, but in general the generic position should be no as it's a bad sign that you had to go find another job to get a justified raise and is almost certainly going to come up again.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Either highest or lowest with the caveat that if you really want the job you may want to change to selecting the highest reasonable range for the position.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I don't agree with the above posters. Negotiation isn't a single step process and if you've been open about interviewing at multiple companies then it shouldn't be a surprise that you received a higher offer from another company and want them to match or exceed it.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Ask for like 5% over their max and align the what do you make to be 20% - 25% under that.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Yeonik posted:

I have some questions about calculating total compensation. How should I value vacation/sick time? Should I put a number on it, or is it kinda separate when talking about the whole package? If I get 2 weeks right now and somebody offers me 3 weeks, is there a price value on that, or does it strictly come down to personal preference?

How about overtime? I work scheduled overtime (12 hours time and a half, 12 hours double time) every month, it's dependable for now, and I can almost guarantee some more overtime (I'm at scheduled +112 hrs right now).

What about pension, how does that play into the equation? I don't even know where to start there.

You can calculate the value of vacation and holiday as there are 2080 working hours in a year, however there is a personal valuation component as most employers won’t allow you to take more and won’t payout if you take less.

I would value overtime as a function of how much your paid minus how much you value that time as you’re giving the company more time that you could use elsewhere in exchange for higher pay. I’d probably also add a risk factor if you’re comparing jobs as overtime generally is not guaranteed.

A simplistic valuation of a pension would be to value it at what you’d have to save to match it. You’re probably going to have to make a ton of assumptions, but that should at least give you a ballpark figure.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Ultimate Mango posted:

That’s good perspective. I honestly hadn’t considered it that way.

I have certainly worked in organizations that focus too hard on giving employees the bare minimum, and it certainly creates the problems you suggest. Where I work now we actually work to take care of people, but it is helpful to for certain types of roles understand the kind of comp backgrounds people have. Highly paid, high variable earners can be tricky, and having poor alignment for those roles and their comp is no fun.

Why can't you just tell the potential employee the range you're willing to pay and let them decide if they want to move forward in the process?

Employers already hold most of the cards in a salary negotiation. They know how much they pay similar positions, have market research for similar positions externally, and know the expected value of the employee. Given that they should have all the information they need to adequately price the position I don't see a reason to allow them to strongarm people into giving up their current salary so they can underpay them.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

sim posted:

Well, I chickened out and lowered my ask to $160K. They countered with $155K but lowered the stock options from 1,000 shares to just 100 (currently valued at $6/share). So overall that's about $10K below what I asked for and significantly lowers my upside. Of course they talk big about potentially growing from a Director of Engineering to VP and associated salary/equity increases in the future, but much like private stock I don't put much value in that.

I've already responded asking about their annual review, raise, bonus, and employee referrals. Those are mostly just nice to know, but will help drag out the negotiation process a little bit just in case another opportunity progresses closer to an offer. Regardless of their answers, I am thinking about countering with:

- $10K signing bonus
- 2 days per week remote officially included in the offer

I wonder though, if they are haggling over $5K on the salary, are they really going to concede a $10K bonus? They have already come up $15K. I've held back on the remote because I felt like I could get it for free since they are somewhat flexible, but at this point I'd rather get it formally declared to make me feel confident about the job change.

Maybe I'm.missing something, but what's the point of taking on all the risks a startup entails if you aren't going to be rewarded when it succeeds. That amount of options is insultingly low for pretty much any position.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

I'm going for an interview for a job I don't really intend to take. I am fairly sure that they will never offer (significantly) more than the publically posted salary, which is way below what I make now. I want to be upfront about the fact that I have no interest in the job if they don't match my current pay, but obviously I don't want to give that.

I am interested in the job, but I am happy with my current job and have no reason to switch, especially with a paycut.

You could just ask for what you want upfront. If you're way above the posted salary you're going to have to do so at some point. The only downside to this is you don't have the impression, hopefully good, from the interview backing your ask.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I would put zero over doubling a value you'd accept. Zero is likely to be interpreted as I don't want to say while double may be excluded cause they set a cap.

asur fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 11, 2018

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Something Offal posted:

I love that your clipboard snippet got caught in this post I think. I bet because ctrl+v is next to ctrl+b. Were you buying something (hard drugs) from Craigslist?

Is this codified in law? I think there are stipulatons about 401k access for cohorts within each company but perhaps not the amount of 401k match.

There are a ton of stipulations around matching to prevent companies from giving more money to management. I don't know if the match percentage is controlled, but there are tests around actual deferral, contribution, and top heaviness of the plan that effectively mean no employer is going to touch matching percentages.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
The new company sounds like it better aligns with your goals specifically with education assistance which is at least $5k in year two. Ask for 37k+ from the new company and leave regardless. It also sounds more stable.

If you stay, do not train a replacement. Doing so will put you in a pretty bad spot if they need to get rid of people due to lack of clients, etc.

asur fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 18, 2018

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Why are you considering staying at a company that knew they were underpaying you and wouldn't give you either the raise or title equivalent to your responsibilities? They've clearly demonstrated that they have zero loyalty to you and are only giving you an increase now because it hurts them if they dont. Stop being loyal to them for no reason and go with the company that is willing to pay you what you're worth and with a manager who appears to actually care about your personal development.

Just to be clear, if you want to stay for the extra 5k then that's one thing, but your posts are conveying that you feel guilty for leaving because they can't replace you and gently caress that. That's not your problem and you shouldn't feel bad about leaving, that's on them.

asur fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 18, 2018

asur
Dec 28, 2012

teardrop posted:

I've been a QC Chemist (MSc) for 7 years at a large company. Looking for a new job because my manager won't promote me yet will never let me go to another department either. Just started interviewing and my first few interviews have gone very well. Really appreciate all advice, because I have never negotiated before.

I had a small 40-person environmental testing company tell me they plan to give me an offer for a Lab-Manager-in-training role (3 direct reports) that I interviewed for. As described, the role is perfect, except that they are just offering the title of Chemist with the verbal assurance that after training I'll be promoted to Lab Manager and the current manager will switch to part-time Chemist and gradually retire.

I'm unsure how to handle negotiations because this is a transitional role. I have not gotten the formal offer yet, but it is for the Chemist level and I doubt they will specify the raise that will come with the promotion.

The Chemist pay is less than I was offered elsewhere, but to be honest I hardly care because the Lab Manager title and responsibilities are a great opportunity. However, I would not take this Chemist job if it wasn't manager-in-training. I suppose the worst case is that the manager decides not to retire and I'm a Chemist looking for a better job just like I am today (with somewhat worse benefits). On the other hand starting at lower pay may hurt my ability to negotiate in a year when they've already landed me.

Should I get the expected salary as manager down on paper now? More importantly, should I get something down like “If performance is satisfactory, I will be promoted to Metals Department Manager summer of 2019” (That is what we verbally agreed on). Is an email confirmation ok, or should I ask for that to be written into the offer letter?

If any of this would change your decision to take the job you should get it in writing in the offer letter. It should be specific on both the criteria for promotion and the increase in pay. Verbal promises might happen, but it's very easy for either party to have a different interpretation on what was said, forget, or just straight up lie about it.

For salary specifically, getting it written down should require that it go through the same channels and approvals that would be required when you get promoted. This should help nail down what you get and limits the potential for the any sort of confusion.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

teardrop posted:

How can I specify promotion criteria, when my “readiness” is a matter of their opinion? Saying “if satisfactory” waters it down a lot but I don’t know what else to say. And if I wasn’t satisfactory, they could fire me the day before promotion even if everything was written in stone.

About the raise, this may sound weird, but I would almost be ok getting the promotion without the raise. After a few years of experience if I’m underpaid I could leave. BLS lists median pay for Lab Manager as almost double what I make now, so while I don’t want to leave money on the table, I feel like it hardly matters compared to moving up to management.

If they have a specific annual review system you could use that. In most it's rare that you get below average unless you're in the process of being fired. Another option would be the promotion is automatic upon completion of the training. At the end of the day if they want to screw you they can, but having things in writing requires that mutliple parties be onboard, HR, the guy above whoever is promising you this, etc. It also reduces the possibility of misunderstandings.

asur fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 25, 2018

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you have the 30% in writing I'd just take that. It sounds like if you try to leverage that number for the other position that it might decrease instead of the other position increasing.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I would always start with clarifying the offer and then saying you need to discuss it with your family. It not only allows you time to think, but changes the dynamic as now the decision maker is someone the company doesn't have direct access to which removes most pressure tactics.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Sock The Great posted:

This could be the wrong thread, but since PTO keeps coming up I think this question is relevant.

My employer is closed on New Years Eve this year (usually we are open but since it's sandwiched between a Sunday and NYD they decided to close) and they are forcing everyone to save a vacation day for this. Is this allowed it common at all?

I suppose I understand limiting how many days you can roll over to the following year, but to me vacation time is part of my compensation. So for them to dictate that I need to use a day for what is a non-holiday is akin to them telling me.how to spend my paycheck.

A large fortune 500 corporation I worked for mandated taking PTO, or unpaid if you didn't have any left, for the week of Christmas except for Christmas day. They gave a years notice though.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
There is no way that company lets you take six months off and I'd be very surprised if you got your PTO paid out when they fire you.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

Since my current job, which has decent work/life balance and a great commute keeps restructuring (and my manager is being replaced by an as of yet undetermined outsider) I started considering a move. I am also underpaid for what I do by quite some margin, and they keep putting off any customary negotiation opportunity. I am now interviewing for a job that has my 'want' price as the absolute minimum, but a somewhat shittier commute (gotta pass a backed up bridge at rush hour every day).

I'd like to know how some of you would value this in respect to a very significant pay increase (~26% if I were to take the minimum)?

I'd consider the total time as your workday and evaluate based on that at minimum. Commutes are terrible and I wouldn't go over 15 minutes now though I've done 45 in the past.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I would wear a step above what managers wear for an interview, so probably slacks, collared shirt, and a jacket. On compensation, use the 95k to gague where you should end up. If you'd have more responsibilities then shoot higher.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Comrade Gritty posted:

I'm in a fairly strong position, and trying to double check my plan for the best way to leverage that.

I'm a little over 2 years at my current job, and compensation is a bit strange here. Basically every employee has a target compensation which is not known to them (although you can kind of guess it), and through a combination of base salary plus RSU grants with vesting events every 6 months that last about 2 years each, you're expected to reach your target compensation. My company does a compensation review every year, where they look at the previous two years of performance of the RSUs that you've had, and use that to determine what grants to give you this year. My understanding is that if you were effectively overpaid because our stock performed well then you'll get a smaller (or no) additional RSU grant and if you were effectively underpaid because the stock did not perform well, then you'll get a larger RSU grant. The idea being that you'll roughly make, on average, whatever your target compensation is, but it can be highly variable from one year to the next based on stock performance and what grants you're getting.

In addition to the above, when you're hired you're given a "new hire" grant, which lasts for 4 years, but is structured so that you get 5% at 1Y, 15% at 2Y, and then 20% every 6 months after that. To make up for this somewhat silly RSU structure, I was giving a "signing bonus" of effectively a larger salary in every paycheck for years 1 and 2 (slightly decreasing in the second year) and which goes away completely in year 3.

This month will be the first month where I'm getting only the base salary in my monthly paycheck, and the rest of the difference has to be made up from our RSUs. My base salary is 160k (there's no room to move up here, this is a company wide maximum salary unless you live in specific, high COL areas) and at the current stock prices I stand to receive an additional 240k this year from my RSU grants, which puts me at ~400k compensation this year if the stock prices hold out, and possibly more if they do better.

I have reason to believe that my target compensation is somewhere in the low 300s (a friend of mine within the company suggested that looking at what the "estimated first year compensation" is in the offer letter is a good way to dial in what your target comp is). This means that I'll likely want to switch companies before my new hire grant is completed (or shortly after), because my understanding is that I can expect a sharp pay cut in my 5th year (because they'll look at it like I got overpaid in the last 2 years), possibly all the way down to my 160k base.

Through an internal referral I've been interviewing at another large company, and so far things are going well and optimistically I suspect they're going to make me an offer, likely at a higher leveled position than I am currently in (I'm arguably underleveled at my current place, but I'm currently getting paid as if I was the next level up, so I haven't felt a huge drive to push on it to get a promotion).

I know that typically the advice is to not give out your current compensation, but I think that in my case, it makes sense to tell them that I'm currently expecting ~400k total compensation this year, and see what they come up with. My BATNA is strong, I have absolutely no qualms about staying with my current company other than the fact that such a significant portion of my compensation is tied up in RSUs which are highly variable and that I expect 2 years from now a sharp decrease in my compensation. I'm a software engineer so it's not like there is a shortage of jobs available for me either.

Unfortunately it's difficult for me to get comparison compensation, as I've never had much luck with sites like Glassdoor, my personal compensation has been significantly higher than what Glassdoor reports for that company + position in 3 of my last jobs, and the rest of my jobs were companies too small to have any salaries listed there. The site levels.fyi has salaries that largely fall in line with Glassdoor for this company, but it has a few outliers of slightly higher positions (including one at a lower position) ranging from 400k (1-2 levels below the position) to 66k (~3 levels higher than the position). All of the exact same positions are showing up in the 250-350 range. The base salaries listed on all of those are in the 190k-240k with the rest being made in RSU grants.

I *think* that in this case, the best plan of attack (assuming they make me an offer) is to tell them that my targeted compensation for this year is 400k, without mentioning what the split is between base salary and RSUs and attempt to get 220k or more of that as base salary. Does that seem reasonable?

Do you just want a higher salary but the same total comp? That seems like a waste of time to me. I'd ask for higher on both TC and salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Comrade Gritty posted:

Sorry, no I meant to mention the current compensation to anchor the discussion that they'd need to be above that to make it worthwhile to leave my current position, to make sure that they don't come in under my current compensation.

Anchor to what you want, not where you are at. You can always bring your current company into the discussion later, but once you mention it they know they only need to beat that number.