Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

kloa posted:

Is there a way to ask what a job postings' salary band is out of the blue, or is that not kosher?

IE: I come across a job posting on LinkedIn that looks interesting, but I don't want to waste either of our time if the salary isn't what I'm looking for.

Probably not. If it is a bigish company, try glass door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I agree with both of what the above two said and want to add that I think you did the right thing by letting your current position know.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Where is the job located and what is your degree? 120k in SanFran/NYC is 75k in Central Florida

Start here, most of these appear to be SF based companies and thus very high salaries: https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/data-scientist-salary-SRCH_KO0,14.htm

The whole thing about equity in the company is something you really need to understand to negotiate. If you believe in the company's vision and the owner's plan to go public/get bought then this can pay huge dividends...but each round of funding they've gone through means you can expect less and less equity. Understanding what the company has been valued at through funding rounds and being able to quickly do napkin math is important here...and not something youre going to learn by the morning if you didnt already google the answer to your question.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 12, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
If you think the company will really truly be worth something and get bought up you probably don't care about PTO...you wont be able to use it anyway...and the equity is usually to offset a low salary with the risk of a potential big payday later. I've gotten stock from a company but it was already publicly traded so it was easy to tell the value. If you get equity in the form of RSUs and you're the last to get paid and everyone else has preferred stock...the value of your stock will probably be nothing if the company folds.

As far as the health insurance, best I can suggest is to get a quote for private health insurance...that's what it is worth to you.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 12, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

swenblack posted:

Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about your industry, so I'm defaulting to my generic advice. Negotiate with confidence.

I'd push back with: "I'm excited about this opportunity and the confidence you place in me, but I'm concerned that I won't be able to effectively manage my store without putting in additional hours. I'm also worried that the travel requirements will force me to spend more time away from my family. Considering the additional responsibilities and sacrifices I'd have to make, I expect commiserate compensation of X."

This. Yes maybe have a fallback since ti seems like you want this promotion regardless but new job = new money in my book.

I agree with the poster who said that in 6 months they'll be playing the same games. Your salary is pennies compared to the difference between the right and wrong person for the job.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
What does glassdoor say similar roles make in that area? $67,000 seems low for a retail GM, especially if you come with a degree, VERY low if that degree is in finance or an MBA but this is not my area of expertise.

I thought your wording was a bit...wordy..and sounded a little unsure about what you were asking for. You can combine in word to see tracked changes. Here it is in carforumposter's voice:

paradigmblue posted:

Thank you for this new opportunity. I enjoy working at [company name] and glad my current role has contributed to the company's success. Currently, I oversee the opening and daily management of a 25 staff store generating 9MM in annual revenue, including performing staff development, sales tracking and inventory management. I developed and implemented weekly wine education seminars and tasting programs that educated crowds of up to 50 attendees on wine history, regions and tasting concepts. I created the sales metric tracking workbook in coordination with Friedman Group that is now used company wide. I've written tasting notes for our private label wines used by the entire chain of 200+ stores.

I'm excited to translate that success into this new role and am grateful for the confidence that you place in me. However, given the responsibilities and additional hours/travel, I am disappointed that the suggested compensation does not align with the additional workload. Taking in to account my past performance, and a survey of comparable jobs, a salary of $[Whatever the high end of glassdoor suggests] is commensurate with the responsibilities and expectations. Again I am thrilled with the opportunity to continue to innovate to meet customer's needs and the company's goals.

Also, google how this conversation goes. They are tense for me and I am generally comfortable interviewing.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 26, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Let us know how it turns out. It is important we get that kind of feedback.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dik Hz posted:

The first time is the hardest. Each time you are assertive in the business world it gets easier to be assertive the next time. After a couple go-rounds, you're fully in the game and on a level playing field. If the stats you posted in this thread are even halfway accurate, you deserve it.

Also, your degree gets you your first job. Every job after that is earned by your previous performance. Unless you're in academia or government.

Agree 100%. I consider myself a confident interviewer. I can make a friend by the end of it while still explaining how I can complete their needs. I was loving terrible when I started. There are interviews I still cringe with how I didn't prepare, didn't understand the companies needs, was too nervous, etc. when I went in.

It gets easier and more clear what needs to be done every time.

I am in my late 20s now but have been negotiating for raises since I was ~17 including being willing to walk (and doing so for a better opportunity). I remember being very disappointed and panicky when I realized that the ultimatum I gave wasn't going to happen for my raise from $9/hr to $12/hr that I requested.

...leaving that job for my backup plan if they said no led to something much better. The $9/hr job doesn't make it on my resume anymore, the business I ran at age 18 still does.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 26, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Chaucer posted:

Accept promotion for the new job title. Update resume with all new responsibilities and start interviewing.

This is what I would do. Indeed/LinkedIn/etc. time.

Resume thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3553582
LinkedIn Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531540

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

paradigmblue posted:

Accepted it.

Anyone looking for a kickass wine and spirits sales professional?

These people are:

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=wine+manager&l=United+States
http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=liquor+manager&l=United+States
http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=total+wine+manager&l=United+States

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Can you translate those successes into dollars/contract value/etc?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Golluk posted:

That could be tricky... I'm not involved in the estimating/accounting side of things.

It looks like you focus on how your achievements benefited the company. This is good. The cherry and icing to those statements are here's how much cash or project schedule that saved.

Being honest there are many things I have done that were going above and beyond but my company defines an impact as 1 week schedule or $1.0 million savings. I cant point to anything and say the thing I worked on did that. It also set my world view on what I need to look for to make a difference. When I look for how I can make a big impact, I have those numbers in mind.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Bluedeanie posted:

I feel like my odds of receiving an offer this week are reasonably good.

So here's my question. I think the advice in the OP to let them wait a day before calling back with a counter offer makes sense for a bigger corporate setting, but they've made it clear they want to both fill the position as quickly as possible (for a public college of course) and that they want someone enthusiastic about working there, so I think I plan on listening to their offer and saying something like "that's generous and I am excited for the opportunity, but could you possibly do $XX,XXX? I know I'm a great fit for the position and my past experience (blah blah...)" Is that a fine idea? And if they come back with "sorry but that's the best we can do" do I just say "well that's OK, it was worth a shot, I accept"? I should add they're going through a budget squeeze and enrollment drop so I don't want to come off like I am trying to milk them and I'd be happy with any offer in their listed range, but I also agree you should always try to negotiate.

As the tone of this thread says, your phrasing should be more assertive. You should also have a "just say yes" number in mind.

For my first job after college, I negotiated and the result was +3k/yr and +5k bonus. I had a just say yes number, they didnt meet it but were in the range I'd accept if they played hardball. I countered with slightly above my just say yes number and they upped it still within range. I chose to accept at this point.

For my second job I had a just say yes number and my employer knew I had just interviewed at a competitor of theirs. The recruiter asked flat out "if I can get you $X will you say, yes?" This was above my just say yes number so I said yes. He called me back two days later and said "I got you $X, what do you say?" and I of course accepted like I said I would. No negotiating in the sense of this thread's coaching because none was needed.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
That strikes me as one of those big government coddling people things. The idea that an employer is not allowed to ask people to volunteer information (that isn't related to overt discrimination) seems silly. It's like saying the police can't ask "do you know how fast you were going"

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Deadite posted:

Yeah I ask that at every review. How else would you know how to get promoted?

This is what I do. I usually find the answers underwhelming and non-committal, even when I really target specific actionable feedback. If my tactic of doing a good job combined with vague innuendo about leaving for other intracompany opportunities actually works I'll post up.

Seamonster posted:

Anybody familiar with federal contracting and key personnel/wraparound rates on contracts?

I just got "promoted" as such a "key" person on our company's contract and while it should come with a raise since my company is now charging more for me, I'm not sure how to play it.

It seems as simple as: New/more responsibilities + a business case to be made= demand a raise.

In the defense world, your charge to the government rate isn't that closely tied to your actual costs or salary because things like IT and other money burners are wound up in the rate.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 13, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

This almost certainly won't work.

If you don't have the courage to actually come right out and say you'll leave for a better opportunity in the same company, why should I believe you'll actually have the courage to go ahead and do it?

There's a lot of movement in my company right now, I think everyone knows if someone offers me a level higher technical position I am gone. There's no question of my courageousness.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Blinky2099 posted:

"First year" engineer but position roughly of a third or fourth year. 2.7% raise and a ~8.2% effective raise in equity ([new equity awarded] / [base salary + base signing equity]) with distributions every 3 months starting immediately. 10.9% total raise, minus whatever volatility/opportunity costs of having that 8.2% in equity rather than cash.

is this OK or kinda good or really good for engineering? also is this the correct way to look at it? obviously cash is worth more than equity so if you prefer, assuming 30% drop in equity value, 2.7+5.7 = 8.4%

~asking for a friend~

I'm a few years out of college and have gotten good performance reviews and have a few friends that I discuss salary things with openly. None of them have gotten a 10% raise without moving companies with one exception and that was in tech and was an equity bonus. Seems like a very good raise to me.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Blinky2099 posted:

ok yea I fall into this category. i know there are other negatives to it (future raises wont be a % of the equity so no compounding gains, etc.) but for year 2 seems good. thanks

Correct. Just curious, is this a publicly traded company? Blue chip stock? These are the huge differentiators. If the stock is Apple/Google/Tesla/Amazon/etc then great....if it is Yahoo or something "pre-IPO"...well significant risk is involved there.

2.7% raise alone with a COLA this year of 0% isn't horrible (and isn't good, either) Also, Bay area/Manhattan tend to have wonky salaries in general because of the hilarious cost of living.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Blinky2099 posted:

Yes, high cost of living area and publicly traded company. I guess if it's standard for the area then it's not that great, but if other companies in the area don't pay it then it is good... probably too relative to field and location for me to be asking generally in the first place I suppose.

The real comparison should be "go get an offer from another company since youre so young and you can probably get a 20-30% raise" but I'm not super interested in moving yet

I wouldn't say it is standard for the area. Like I said I don't know anyone getting a 10% raise so good for you.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Philip Rivers posted:

They blew up the offer.

I asked for 5% over what they put forward, they waited a week to get back to me, and they rescinded the offer.

I'm loving astounded.

Been posting in this thread for a year and have read most pages in that time and that's the first I've seen. Bullet dodged and all that.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you can anchor to a salary benchmark for 42, go ahead and ask for it.

You aren't getting a raise in two months.

As KYOON GRIFFEY JR said you probably won't get a raise in 2 months, certainly not a 6-7% raise. This is the perfect example of when to ask. You minimum accept number is the firm $36k, your just say yes is $42k, they offered $39.6k.

"That is an interesting offer however I have a competing one that is a tad higher. I'd really like to work for you guys but to match you'd need to be 7% higher at $42,400. Again, I'd really really like to join your team, can you match 42?"

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 15, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ADolan posted:

I just received a job offer for a company where I would be making $57k/year and receive a $2500 bonus payable after 90 days employment. This would be a huge leap from my previous job where I was only making $48k/year in a much more expensive city. Well before reading this thread, when I applied for the new job I mistakenly mentioned how much I made at my previous gig and asked for $55k/year for desired salary. My question is whether it's still worth negotiating for more money since they knew how much I made at my old position, and I asked for less than what they offered. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

You told them your just say yes price and they gave you more than that. Say yes and thank you.

Whole lotta focusing on the thing that will likely not happen (demanding to see the other letter) to forget about the actual move that'll happen: "Fine, go take the other offer."

You can bluff and overplay your hand and maybe get away with it. But if you try to bluff you MUST be ready to take the $39k offer because you're about to make that your only option.

Agreed that they wont ask and yes you need to be willing to accept the consolation prize but if the company absolutely will not give you 42 they may still come back with a higher number and say "but were the best company and our bennies are soooo goood"

But for real just dont say the word "match" if it offends your sensibilities or is too high risk.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

PBS posted:

I was handed an offer of 63k today which would make me the lowest paid member of that team. It's a bit annoying, but I don't seem to have a lot of room to negotiate.

Why not?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

a fleshy snood posted:

I just wanted to follow up on how this went after I asked for the increase.

So, they said meeting my 30% increase wasn't in their budget and was impossible. They phoned me afterwards, we had an awkward call, and they sent a new and improved offer a few days later. This was around 10% over their initial offer and clarified the stock options I'd be eligible for which was nice.

This speaks volumes to the value of negotiating, but I still don't think I'll be taking the position. It's a tough decision to make as it's essentially pitting my currently stable and easy job (with potential for growth) against something new and risky, with only a marginal salary increase.

I'd at least give them another shot and just play ultra hardball. "I'm sorry guys, I love your company but the increase just isn't worth the risk of changing jobs. I'd love to join but you and I will have to compromise at ______ for me to accept." Be prepared to accept on the spot if they say yes.

...be prepared for them to not say yes haha

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 7, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I got told that another group within my company has requested for me to move there for a second time within a year (the first was shot down by our chief engineer without even mentioning it to me). The person in charge of making that happen if it does asked if I'd be interested and said "I would be very interested if I get promoted to the next level, otherwise I love and trust my current group, manager, etc." Then I went to my manager and said hey this other group is trying to get me again, I realize our chief can shoot them down but a promotion would for sure keep me here.

...wish me luck, I am a little above average salary penetration wise now so getting promoted would put me well below average on the next level and a bit ahead career year wise.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 9, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

CarForumPoster posted:

I got told that another group within my company has requested for me to move there for a second time within a year (the first was shot down by our chief engineer without even mentioning it to me). The person in charge of making that happen if it does asked if I'd be interested and said "I would be very interested if I get promoted to the next level, otherwise I love and trust my current group, manager, etc." Then I went to my manager and said hey this other group is trying to get me again, I realize our chief can shoot them down but a promotion would for sure keep me here.

...wish me luck, I am a little above average salary penetration wise now so getting promoted would put me well below average on the next level and a bit ahead career year wise.

My chief engineer shot down me moving saying I was critical to the program. My current group manager was slightly annoyed as they were trying to get a promotion for me already through the convoluted mess and don't like that continuing to do that looks like they're responding to me making a threat. Negotiating subverted :/

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
All of you commenting "you should leave" should hold your horses. This company, despite my complaints about a promotion, has been exceptionally good to me with 7.5% raises, above average (according to a few sites and talking with friends at other companies locally) starting salary and several performance based bonuses. They've also spent about $20,000 on education related things I wanted to do including sending me on trips to training I wanted to take with a few days vacation ahead of the start. I have a very good reputation here as well so to ditch that and leave would be hella stupid. I was also promised a promotion next year and I'll quote this a year from now and let you know how that goes. Grass ain't always greener.

Sundae posted:

That's also assuming you don't have literally the minimum possible number of employees in your department, in which case you are critical but not for a good reason.

This is the situation, where I work is massively expanding. Roughly 5x the number employees over the course of about 4 years and there were already several hundred to begin with. We're lean because we literally can't hire qualified people fast enough and there are some barriers to entry to starting at this company for any position. The thing I am working needs 3 man-equivalent people but only has 2 including me and schedule-wise is in the middle of the topic I am versed in. I work in a niche engineering subject that takes a while to spool up people with.

Sundae posted:

Any place that talks about lean staffing and claims to have robust internal transfer options is a lying sack of poo poo. They're (almost but not quite) mutually exclusive and completely incompatible.

Many, many people from the thing I am working on to the thing that wanted to take me have transferred and been promoted while doing so.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 21, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sundae posted:

So they just hate you, you mean? Like, unless I'm misreading this part, it's sounding like you're supporting that you should get out ASAP. (My interpretation: Lots of people get to transfer from your department and get promoted, but not you, because you're being called critical but the others weren't.) If I'm not totally off in left field in that interpretation, :frogout:

My department is basically 2-4 person niches rolled up under one manager to make a 20ish person "team" of these small disciplines. So far no one has transferred over because our program holds them until they have both been backfilled and the backfill is up to speed. Other departments have had many transfers (an example is mechanical drafting where there are 15+ people doing that one specific thing and it's both a subject that colleges actually teach undergrads/grad students and we have enough of them we can do this sort of horse trading)

Suffice it to say I don't feel screwed by my company because they won't give me what I want right now. I'll still demand it, even if it is an impotent demand, and if I dont get it in a few years I'll move around.

...but to say move companies now would be ignoring the many factors that make it worth staying. By the way I actually like my current role better. The only incentive to move was to move up on the payscale and show a bit of career progression. My same-grad-year friends at other companies aren't getting paid as much, aren't getting a free master's degree they want, don't get paid a nice bonuses, etc.

EDIT: I work in aerospace and each one of these 2-4 person teams issue statements that either allow the "item" to proceed or not. We can stop 500 peoples work if we say things like "unsafe". It's reasonable (IMO) to call us critical given the aforementioned circumstances. The guy backfilling me just simply isn't ready to make those calls yet.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 21, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

asur posted:

It sounds to me like you got screwed and are trying to convince yourself that you didn't and thus don't need to leave. Your list of reasons to stay isn't very persuasive as you could potentially get everything you are getting and more at another company and this is ignoring that your manager torpedoed a transfer and promotion and also appears to have reduced the possibility that he'll promote you. Finally you being critical isn't your loving problem. I doubt you are, but if you were then the company should be compensating you accordingly and if an offer to transfer is compelling then they aren't and you should leave.

I've outlined why what you're stating so matter-of-factly likely isn't true based on significant research. Getting transferred isn't the good thing. It's only good if I also get promoted along with the transfer, and they explicitly state they will promote me regardless, though if I get transferred I'd likely wiggle a promotion out of it in 4 months rather than 12. In the mean time they pay me decently, give me lots of things I want (Master's degree, out of state week long courses in subject I want to learn, etc.) give me monetary bonuses, recognition, etc.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I tried to transfer 0 times. I like my program but another, larger one that swallows up engineers from mine tried to take me twice. (The first time without asking me at all.) I tried to wiggle a promotion out of the attempt to take me the second time and was told I wouldn't be going.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 21, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

creatine posted:

So I am in this situation:

Currently work as a butcher at a major retailer making $17/hr (32 hrs normal, 8 OT every week). I recently graduated college and have been applying and interviewing for positions in my field. My research into average salary is inconsistent because the titles for positions vary widely from place to place (research assistant vs research technician vs research technologist) but overall the average seems to be at or higher than what I make. I am honestly trying to get a minimum $40k/year as that will allow me to pay bills and save a little.

How do I negotiate to get to this number? I unfortunately only got the opportunity to do one internship during school but I tried to take as many applicable classes during school that could transfer to a real lab. I've currently been trying to highlight the managerial aspects of my current job along with how the work is self driven, independent, time sensitive, etc.

Make them want to hire you, make them name a number first. Its #1, 2, 3 and 4 in the OP.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

supercrooky posted:

It's mostly housing, at least for Boston, and its a problem. You live in a smaller house/apt or less desirable area, relative to the rest of the metro.

On top of that, the housing prices are exaggerated in the first calculator I googled - 550k is too high to be a median housing price. I don't know if its similarly exaggerated for your location or that's making it look worse than it is.

I just want to chime in that I moved from one of the most expensive housing/taxation areas of the country to one right in the middle as cities go, taking a $20k salary cut in the process. My 401k remains the same growth rate and my savings increases faster. Take this different cost of living areas thing very seriously.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

You can. It's tactically riskier than I'd like. You don't have a job right now, and your other offer is worse by the sounds of it. They offered you more than you asked for, which will mean their first question is "We were generous and offered you more than your target. Why should we bump up even more past that?" Seeing as your other offer is worse, any answer you offer comes down to "I want more money."

You could take the high offer to the low offer to see if they'll bump up any. But I don't think trying to nudge up your high offer after they exceeded a goal you gave them is the right play for where you are right now.

Yea this. I know there are many youtubes and some in this thread that say always negotiate but I am firmly in the camp of having an "absolute minimum" and a "just say yes price" in mind by the end of the interview just in case (which requires a lot of research before the interview). I firm these numbers up with more data and comparing responsibilities and benefits after the interview if they didnt make an offer right then.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Calm posted:

Hi, so I've been interviewing for a job the last few days. The first day I met with a manager, the second day I met with an HR peron, and today they have me scheduled to meet with the CEO. The company has about 100 people in it. My position is an entry-level job that requires some technical skills such as spreadsheet work, data entry, renegotiating contracts and some work in Great Plains making sure data maintains integrity across their platforms. But most of it is software/datatabase work. I told them that depending on the exact benefits package, I'd start happy to start in the low 40k range. They mentioned today that the meeting with the CEO would have a few more questions but would mostly be about salary/compensation. I was told by my dad who does a lot of hiring for a different company that it's important not to price yourself out of the running with a ridiculous demand, but that it's ok to ask for raises as long as the amount isn't over 5-7% of the initial offer.

This is my fist real job offer out of college, so I'm not exactly sure what to expect. I did tell them that if they did make an offer to me, I'd just like a day to review the information and make sure everything is good. So my question here is, I believe that the job is worth probably 39-45k depending on various factors, but my problem is I don't have a lot of work experience so I feel they may use that against me. In the case that they ask me to name a number first, would it be better to start lower or higher and negotiate from there?

Yea you done hosed up son. You hosed up first by naming a number and second by not reading the OP. Theres a link talking about literally your exact situation as well as explaining clearly what to do throughout:

From the OP: http://www.kalzumeus.com/2016/06/03/kalzumeus-podcast-episode-12-salary-negotiation-with-josh-doody/

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Ugh, FML. Long story short, I got a job offer for a W2 contract through a staffing agency. In my area, contracts tend to pay less than the salary rate, which I know is backwards from most places. This time they said that there would be a cut on conversion after we agreed on a number. Here's a draft letter I wrote up just now, could I get feedback on it? Cross posted from the IT thread:
[..]

Thanks for any help you all can give.

1) Its too wordy and you sound like a wuss. Suggested edits below. Merge yours and this one in word if you'd like to see all the changes.
2) If they kick back do you have a BATNA?
3) Did they tell you specifically what the pay cut will be and did it come with any extra special benefits like stock grants/options?
4) Am I understanding this right? You were making $32-35ish/hour and they want to cut you to $27 because you get health and 401k?
5) You should remind them why you are worth that money. Taking a "WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME" approach will lead to them not caring.

Suggestion:
(Pleasantries)<--Make sure this is very brief

"I recall from our previous [recent? date?] phone calls that upon conversion I should expect a cut in pay in exchange for the expanded benefits. This is contrary to my experience regarding contracts in the past. Typically they come with an increase (in benefits? money? both?) worth $8-10 per hour. The proposed decrease would leave me below the bottom end of the local salary range. Because of this unexpected difference, an increase in the hourly rate from $27 per hour to $35 per hour is warranted. I believe my accomplishments working on ____ project, specifically the improvement of XXX by YYY% and the [insert another success you had] make this a wise and low risk investment for you and would make my post-conversion salary more in line with the average in the area."

Thank you,

[Your Name]

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It seems like locally they think of it like a trial period. It does really suck not looking forward to holidays since you don't get paid for them.

E: I haven't started yet, this is a new contract I would be starting. So I don't have any accomplishments yet. They would probably end up cutting me to ~46k, but that's a wild guess since I haven't hit this situation before.

I don't quite understand. Are you negotiating for your starting pay or for something that happens at a later date after you start? When exactly is "on conversion", does that mean when you start working there?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How is this sounding? As I said in the IT thread I'm really bad at being assertive. Would anchoring with 25 or 50 cent increments likely help, or is that whole thing BS?

(Saying I hope she had a good vacation)

"I remembered something mentioned in passing during one of our recent phone calls. You said that upon conversion I could expect a cut in pay in exchange for the expanded benefits. This is counter to my experience regarding contracts in the past. Most of the ones I have seen or discussed promised an increase of 15-35% on top of the benefits. Decreasing my pay upon conversion would leave me at or below the bottom end of the local salary range. Because of this unexpected difference, an increase in the hourly rate from $27 per hour to $35 per hour is warranted. This would make my post-conversion salary more in line with the average in the area."

Its better but you still need to talk about how valuable you are to them IMO. Whenever I write something where I ask for money and only talk about myself I imagine the other person rolling their eyes at me. They dont care about me, they care about them. Explain why it is in their best interest to pay you more money.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's a W2 contract to hire, which means I start out as a W2 employee of a staffing agency A working at company B and then (hopefully but not always) become a W2 employee of company B.

I'm not sure how to make myself seem valuable. I've got an AS in computer science, one completed small Java project, a couple incomplete projects, and training in SQL (the actual language being used). I don't have any practical experience in SQL, though, so they are planning on doing training for both that and the special snowflake inventory/sales system they are using.

Maybe try emphasizing my programming background?

I'd study like a motherfucker anything in the job description. Basically show that you're able to understand their needs and become an expert on that subject quickly. I tend to do this ahead of interviews and it works very very well.

How long until you work for company B? I've not worked contract before, is it normal to negotiate your conversion salary before you are near converting?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
2 Months ago I posted about another program in my company trying to take me and my current program shutting it down. A few of you got on your high horse like I'm the goon in the well.

CarForumPoster posted:

All of you commenting "you should leave" should hold your horses. This company, despite my complaints about a promotion, has been exceptionally good to me [...words..] I have a very good reputation here [...words...] Grass ain't always greener.

My promotion goes into effect Jan 21st, I get a 12% raise, I get to stay on the program I like in the role I like and they've added someone to my team last week to take over some aspects of my job I didn't like. The following people are big dumb dumbs, overly confrontational and/or give bad advice.

Jordan7hm posted:

Look for that promotion externally.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah - clearly there's no expiration date on you being critical to the project. The road to better pay will necessarily take you outside your comfort zone.

asur posted:

It sounds to me like you got screwed and are trying to convince yourself that you didn't and thus don't need to leave. Your list of reasons to stay isn't very persuasive as you could potentially get everything you are getting and more at another company

Sundae posted:

Yep - external promotion time now.

the talent deficit posted:

you're never gonna get it

You will be promoted when it is useful for your superiors to promote you, hope you enjoy living life on their schedule.

Your BATNA for the new employers you should absolutely have already spoken to is still making something now vs. making nothing if you up and leave. Best time to find a job is when you already have one.

If this seems rude and childish it is...but remember that others may follow your advice into a worse situation.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
In other news my company tells you your compa ratio. with my promotion it went from .94 to .72. Time to tool up for demanding raises. Also Glassdoor and PayScale led me to believe that my pay was above average so maybe keep the accuracy of their data in mind.

Don't be shy to ask for more than glassdoor/payscale says is average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This isn't really evidence of anything unless you find out what you're really worth by seeking out other offers and negotiating hard. You had a fork in the road labelled "find out what you're worth" vs "sit and pray", and it sounds like sitting and praying worked out decently so far, but you have no clue what the other path would have brought since you didn't try. Congrats on the promotion and all but it doesn't mean that sitting and waiting was the right thing to do - I think you're the one giving dangerously wrong advice since people, at least in my experience, are much more prone to complacency than over-ambition. Frankly I still think you should be looking for other jobs, now using your new salary instead of your old one as your BATNA, but you do you.

You're definitely right about the glassdoor average - don't ask for the average. Asking for the moon is better than asking for the average, even if the average is what you get in the end.

I didn't sit and prey, I took the relationships and personalities (read: non-adversarial) I had with my managers and their managers into consideration and made a decision to trust them and it paid off. Also I took this job just a few years ago so I am aware of what I am worth based on access to the same data every other diligent person has. I can go look around, sure, and I frequently get propositions via LinkedIn or Indeed but it involves starting over and redeveloping all of the things I have here, not to mention the repayment of my Master's degree depending on timeline.