Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

:riker:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

keevo posted:

Oh yeah we need to do bold predictions before qualifying.

Disclaimer: I haven't seen any FP1/2 results other than that ARE LEWIS was fastest and Rosburg crashed.

Haas, Renault and Manor to be all pretty much as terrible as each other and have a season-long EPIC FIGHT over Not Being Last.
Horner starts talking about how poo poo Tag Hueueueueueuer watches are to distract from Red Bull's slide to permanent midfield status.
McLaren have a spectacular performance improvement which boosts them to Sauber/Torro Rosso levels of mediocrity.
Everyone talks about various new engine manufacturers coming in to the championship for 2017 and none of them actually come in.
At least two mid-season rule changes are imposed which nobody asked for and which do nothing to solve the issue they were introduced to fix.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Tsaedje posted:

As I understand it he essentially took out a mortgage on the team with Diageo a few weeks back, so if he's declared insolvent they'd 'repossess' the team

Looking forward to the Guinness Racing rebrand.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Falken posted:

Also, I was quite liking the Channel 4 pre race chat

Channel 4's northern, stubbly Fake Jake is an improvement on Sky's Fake Jake.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

learnincurve posted:

The media is poo poo. "ISIS" are pissed at the French not Europe in general, and it's a very specific set of people out for revenge and their motivation has nothing to do with ISIS' political aims. A few years ago the French turned a blind eye when racists kept setting fire to slum buildings in Paris which had 18 people living in one bedroom flats and loads of kiddies burned to death. Now they are SHOCKED that ISIS would recruit the relations of these murdered people living in Belgium and France and that they might be out for blood. If they are going to bomb anywhere then it will be hockenheim if their past actions are anything to go by.

I hope ISIS bomb your posting.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

F1 2016: Which do you prefer, FIA or ISIS?

Trick question, they are one and the same.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Payndz posted:

Time for a reminder that the cheapest (legal) way to get Sky F1 is to pay £27.50 a month (on top of whatever other subscriptions you're paying) for a sports package - that's an extra £330 a year, more than twice the licence fee. gently caress Sky.

Or stream their poo poo for free and give no fucks.

:lol:

This sport literally runs their decision making processes by consulting a magic 8-ball.

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 23, 2016

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

Well if it makes you feel better, in the US, if I bought satellite TV package with NBCsports (which shows F1 with commercials) I'm looking at $80/mo which works out to $960/year for non-promotional pricing ($780 for promotional pricing) not including extra fees/taxes. This is probably about as cheap as we could get it unless you get lucky by having your local cable provider including it on a cheaper package. So we're still paying more? a lot and having the races stuffed full of obnoxious commercials.

e: So assholes like me don't get TV and then arrrr matey the races from Sky the next day. I care enough about the sport to pay something to watch it, but right now there isn't really an option to do that.

The perceived lack of bang for your buck with Sky Sports is pretty off-putting too - there are about 60 channels free to air on Freeview in the UK, and £240 per year gets you 270 channels on the baseline Sky package (rival cable providers give you fewer channels but generally cost less and/or bundle their offers with phoneline and broadband). Adding Sky Sports for another £330 gives you an additional 7 (seven) channels and at any one time at least a couple of those will be wall-to-wall football.

Do you get any TV in the US not tied to a subscription?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Another F1 race in some fascist 3rd world shithole :rolleyes:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Silverstone has adjusted its layout every few years since it was first established so which old version are we talking here?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

track day bro! posted:

Paddock hill bend is insanely ftw, every time I've been somebody has always had a massive off into it

Last time I was at Brands Hatch that somebody was Lewis Hamilton when he was racing Formula Renault.

(along with a good quarter of the field by the end of the race)

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

be nice wicka posted:

i have watched 4.5 of the 5 races this season and i regret none of it. there are long green flag runs with close racing and bananas finishes. it is great.
Enjoy it while it lasts since the mandatory yellow flags every 20 minutes are coming soon.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Human Grand Prix posted:

The 27 different competing ladders to a year of F1 backmarker status followed by a steady career in WEC are a loving mess.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

ukle posted:

In more brighter news and a look towards the future of Formula 1 - the Roborace car (AI driven cars, running as a support series for Formula E) for next year has been unveiled, and shows exactly what you can do when you don't have to lug around a massive bag of meat. Should be able to go close to 200 MPH, so hope to god the AI coders don't gently caress up.

:stare:

this is amazing

:stare:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Alain Post posted:

(allowed numbers of engine failures are dumb)

It seemed like a good idea at the time to get around the old days of engine manufacturers spending megabucks on grenades just for single qualifying runs but yeah it's dumb.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

ukle posted:

(although channel 5's web content probably only has 1 user a minute, so would probably fall over if they had something worth watching on it.).
I skipped the Walking Dead entirely because Channel 5 were showing it so I automatically concluded it was going to be awful.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

I have briefly seen a couple of them and they are etched on my memory forever and I have no desire to go searching for more. :smith:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Dubs posted:

still not loud enough

They run carrying around speakers playing MP3 recordings of SCREAMING VEE TENS.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

nsaP posted:

Can we drop this childish nonsense and get back to misogyny against Claire Williams please??

Now that's a Miss I'd like to Ogyny :wiggle:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

Literally just alternate between N/A and Turbo engines. Development wars are the best.

Development wars are the best when you have the tobacco industry fire-hosing money into the sport to pay for it all but welp

Alain Post posted:

Thought experiment: If all the cars are the same, how can they overtake each other?

Counter-thought: if some cars are faster than others, and the qualifying system causes the faster cars to start the race in front of the slower cars....?

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 8, 2016

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Basically F1 has no idea what it wants to be and is trying to achieve two mutually conflicting goals - be the most advanced cutting edge glamorous technological series while simultaneously giving the most exciting closely matched racing spectacle - whilst simultaneously trying to hark back to a rose-tinted glory era which never existed.

Look at the history of F1 and click on a random race report and you'll most likely see a story of how Schumacher/Prost/Andretti/Moss/Fangio started from pole and won by half a lap because that's how it has always been, the reason everyone has Arnoux and Villeneuve at Dijon 79 imprinted on their minds is because the wheel to wheel battling was exceptionally rare even back then but everyone wants to 'bring back the real racing like the good old days' because people are dumb.

If F1 want to make close unpredictable racing a regular feature the first thing F1 could and should do is re-balance the payments so smaller teams have more resources try to compete with the big boys but that would mean Bernie agreeing to not be paid a zillion dollars for being a grumpy dwarf and old teams agreeing not to be paid a zillion dollars just for being old teams so good luck with that.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Norns posted:

Think I need some prints.

Yeah some of these own I may need to do this.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Lewis' mid season meltdown is going to be glorious to watch

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

What is Pastor doing this year?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

George Zimmer posted:

Keke drives like a lovely Richard Branson

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

learnincurve posted:

Quick someone call the RAF and tell them goons think it's unsafe to fly through rain or clouds!

Well we are getting the F-35 and in that shitpile it probably will be.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

be nice wicka posted:

that might be an understatement, tbh

Leicester City = Brawn GP

Team literally on the brink of dropping out of the top level of the sport one season, shows up with a change of management structure at the beginning of the next and blows everyone away whilst the usual top runners are tripping over in bouts of hilarious drama and stupidity.

Also in this scenario I guess Tottenham Hotspur are Red Bull (showing up in the runners up spot thanks to a late season surge, and everyone hates them).

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 25, 2016

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

be nice wicka posted:

lewis promotes himself more effectively than any driver before him. he thinks this is the same promoting the sport. it is not.

L'Etat, c'est moi.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

learnincurve posted:

they are still racing inside something that looks like a poorly converted Gulag.

aka Russia

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Dubs posted:

this could be amusing as teams desperatly try to give away engines to backmarkers cheap so they dont have to supply austricunts

or just supplying 2nd rate engines if 'forced' to supply to get around it
Engine manufacturers setting up their own B-teams Toro Rosso style just to gently caress over Horner would be peak comedy.

Triple A posted:

cue RBR getting 2015 Honda engines
...and beating McLaren with them.

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 3, 2016

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

I like Ben Edwards :mad:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

So who is next down on the Red Bull ladder? Gasly?

If Kvyat has flunked his RBR seat then surely the smart move is to shuffle him out to pasture and promote another driver up.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

Formula E is neat but yeah it really illustrates just how limited the electric technology is at the moment.

What they should've done is just say "you can do anything that was banned in F1 over the past 40 years" just to get the development ball rolling. Nobody in the current F-e field is going to come up with the next breakthrough in battery/electric car technology.

Getting around having to switch cars mid-race should be their #1 priority right now because that just plays into every lazy Jeremy Clarkson-grade burn about the limitations of electric power.

It can't be impossible (in my imagination anyway) to have some method to switch the battery rack out just like you'd change a tyre in a pitstop and that would make for a much better race feature than literally retiring the vehicle you started with and jumping into a spare.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Remember how the season went last time Fernando was appearing in funny adverts alongside his team-mate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-AQGohc3zI

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Dubs posted:

Gonna get my favourite shirt of the back of the closet

needs more dragons.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

You don't need loving spec wings. I'm seriously sick of this aero poo poo though, it's loving retarded.

I don't know how many loving times I have to say the solution is to say "you get x aero elements for y area of the car, they can't protrude more than z cm." and that fixed literally all the problems, aero development isn't out of control and it gives teams that don't have an aero budget bigger than NASA a chance to compete. Will anybody loving listen? No of course not.

I sort of hope once they go to full independent manufacturer chassis that Formula E will just allow whatever batshit bananas aero and ground effects and tyres anyone can come up with and leave F1 to it's twenty million page rulebook of technical restrictions.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

He called Senna a talentless hack who crashed into everyone to his face too. Sir Jackie is the hero we need.

He also opposed cancelling the Bahrain Grand Prix because of the Arab Spring protests and described the calling for a boycott as 'bully boy tactics' so he can pretty much go and gently caress himself.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R43mBWirio

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

wuffles posted:

Baku City ready for race day.

F1 should have done this for Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

Paging Myrddins

I had to do a double take at this because for a split second I thought that was Flavio

Not Flavio just Flavorless

• Locked thread