Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Haas will have more points than Renault this year. Fairly bold.

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

be nice wicka posted:

it doesn't necessarily show they've made any improvement. the speed trap gaps from testing were worse than what they saw last season. it's much more likely they turned the engine down for reliability purposes so they could actually run laps in testing and make sure their deployment fixes worked. i don't think they gained like 80bhp in a month.

Weren't they not running certain engine upgrades during testing that they were waiting for Australia for? I tend to agree that they didn't find a bunch of performance overnight, but I thought I remembered them saying something about saving the race spec engine for after testing for some reason.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

be nice wicka posted:

silverstone is probably the most overrated sports venue in the world

I don't have enough knowledge about other venues, but it is an absolutely snooze of a race track.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Australia was a fun race.

I hate a be a debbie downer, but aren't the long straights at Bahrain going to make it 100x easier for the mercs to pass and we'll be back to normal 2014/2015?

This coming from the winner of the round 1 goons GP predictor :smug:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Yea at what point does he kick his dad out of the garage.

I try to give racers the benefit of the doubt on the radio, they all piss and moan. Alonso, Seb, Lewis are some of the best drivers/whiners.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Also Max's biggest race mistake was at Monaco and pretty much exactly what happened to Alonso w/ Gutierrez.

We're lucky, just imagine the hype if he were British.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

El Hefe posted:

Reminder that Pastor Maldonado never whined, he just kept on trucking.

Who? Does he race in F1?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

learnincurve posted:

I think people here may be underestimating how many British families have Sky sports now, even broke students get to use the household sky go account (free for 2 people to have access to all sky channels on a tablet, and something like £5 a month to have 4 devices on the account) or people all go in on one package so they can share sky go. This isn't the first major sport to only get good coverage on Sky, Football and Cricket went that way years ago, so if you have a sports fan in the house it's a fair bet you already have Sky sports. Sky. At least they are not BT.

Is "cord cutting" a big thing like it is in the US in the younger demographic? Maybe it's not as much since you have your annual broadcasting fee or whatever and you're used to paying something for TV anyway, so might as well add Sky sports to it.

I would happily pay $100 annually or something to have access to commercial-free live streamed practice/qualifying/races and archived previous seasons, etc.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

krushgroove posted:

Not that I've seen (not that I'm in that demo) but the UK is a much much smaller country with actual competition in every area for cable, broadband, mobile, etc., so it's a lot different. I think if FOM pull their head out of their rear end and look at what WEC and MotoGP are doing with season passes (and all the pro sports leagues in the US as well) they could make fans much happier while still keeping TV rights to one supplier, if they wanted.

I realize this is crazy fantasy land territory but assuming Bernie wasn't so technologically inept and they could have written something like this into their contracts with the television stations, it would have been cool to be like "40% of the annual pass sales goes directly to the teams". Anyone who would buy a subscription is obviously more than a casual fan, and I think it would be a cool incentive to say that "you're supporting the sport and their teams!"

And really really really far out there in "dreesemonkey you are loving stupid and your ideas are bad" territory - give subscribers a way to vote on some non-critical (nothing safety related or power unit related) parts of that sport like the qualifying format or something like that. I'm not saying let them decide wholly, but maybe count the majority opinion of the subscribers as the same as one team's vote or something. In the end it would likely be useless, but people would really feel involved with the sport.

krushgroove posted:

Not that I've seen (not that I'm in that demo) but the UK is a much much smaller country with actual competition in every area for cable, broadband, mobile, etc., so it's a lot different. I think if FOM pull their head out of their rear end and look at what WEC and MotoGP are doing with season passes (and all the pro sports leagues in the US as well) they could make fans much happier while still keeping TV rights to one supplier, if they wanted.

Cord cutting is less competition based because almost anyone can get 2 satellite TV providers in addition to any cable choice they have (which, to be fair, is a monopoly). The sentiment is more "Why am I going to pay $100/mo for all this poo poo when I may only watch two shows?"

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Bryter posted:

Overall pay-TV audiences are increasing in the UK, it's not increasing at a very fast pace and adoption is only at ~60% compared to the US's ~80%

It's not really a question of "might as well add sky sports" (I wish it was). The license fee is £145.50 a year. For Sky Sports, you'd have to buy a basic Sky subscription and the sports package which comes to around £365 for the first year and £546 after that. So if you're only paying the license fee for basic TV, you'd end up having to almost quintuple your TV budget to get Sky sports. I'm not entirely certain if that includes HD broadcasts either. I hope it does, Christ.

This is without taking into account available broadband packages etc, which would obviously make it better value. Still hosed.

Well if it makes you feel better, in the US, if I bought satellite TV package with NBCsports (which shows F1 with commercials) I'm looking at $80/mo which works out to $960/year for non-promotional pricing ($780 for promotional pricing) not including extra fees/taxes. This is probably about as cheap as we could get it unless you get lucky by having your local cable provider including it on a cheaper package. So we're still paying more? a lot and having the races stuffed full of obnoxious commercials.

e: So assholes like me don't get TV and then arrrr matey the races from Sky the next day. I care enough about the sport to pay something to watch it, but right now there isn't really an option to do that.

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 24, 2016

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Helicon One posted:

Do you get any TV in the US not tied to a subscription?

There is free, over the air TV if you live close enough where you can pick up a signal. Those are the network channels (CBS, NBC, Fox, etc) that offer select sports (dominated by american football when in season) but for the most part everything is bulk subscription. Different packages for more channels. (Here is an example of the more cost effective satellite provider www.dish.com/packages/). The TV networks then negotiate with the TV providers. ESPN, the sports goliath cash cow, gets something like $7 for every cable subscriber in the county which is absolutely insane amounts of money. They throw their weight around because they're a very popular channel, so even the most basic packages include it. But there has been backlash because it's such a high cost baked in for people that don't care about sports at all. There is no "ala cart" option for people picking only channels they want, because then the lovely networks no one cares about would go out of business, which is bad for some reason.

Some of the premium networks (HBO, Showtime, etc) are now offering streaming subscriptions to their shows, but they are few and far between right now. I think we may get to a point where it's more the norm, especially if ESPN makes the jump (though they do not show F1), but I'm not going to buy a subscription to watch lovely, commercial-filled broadcasts that cut away from the race ever 8 minutes. Ideally you'd go right to the rights-holder to say "I want to give you money to be able to watch the thing you own the rights to how and when I want".

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

George Zimmer posted:

It's been said before but the MotoGP/WSBK model is spot on. A nice feature is the option to buy single screen coverage at a lower price. F1 could more or less directly model a streaming service based on MotoGP and it would be amazing.

Yea I just looked it up and that seems about perfect.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
F1 is such a shitshow. Does someone have a chart for all the governing bodies that make decisions in this sport, I honestly am totally lost.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

learnincurve posted:

Oh dear god. Someone actually thought to run the 2017 changes through a simulator. Slower on the straights, considerably faster in the corners. Not only will the brakes not work but also they corner at 5.5G which is too much for both the drivers and the nice new big tyres.

hahaha loving :bravo:

Formula 1: Stay for literally everything but the racing (we're sorry about the racing)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Dr. Wang posted:

I hope that Rosberg wins the next two WDC so Lewis' record can be 3/5.

Wow

Please add this to the OP for Are Glorious Haas
https://twitter.com/circuitamericas/status/717066060059385856

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Can anyone buy this stuff from manufacturers, or do they have to agree to it?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I really hope this opens the floodgates to the teams thinking "Hey maybe we can work together and threaten Lucifer to get some poo poo done"

I can dream.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

be nice wicka posted:

they are kind of difficult to search on mobile bc they're only in pdf form and not well indexed

Speaking of, is there any place that keeps an public archive of official race results like the FIA or something? Another racing series that I follow has a site with stuff going back to the early 2000s in PDFs (http://archives.amasupercross.com/). I can then download the PDFs and pull data out of them to do nerdy data analysis stuff.

I was curious if there was something similar with F1.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

learnincurve posted:

So in f1 news. Nothing is happening.

Lewis is dressed like a total cock and hanging around with a rapper in new york and posting obnoxious inspirational memes about not changing who you are and pictures of Tupac. Meanwhile Nico has been at the factory and going on country walks with his family.

Is getting harder to decide what's satire and what's real life events.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Halo14 posted:

Lewis has a 5 place grid penalty for China? Gearbox change apparently.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEKFZ8yr005/

Guys. Guys. Guys. Imagine the enormous british nationalism jizz explosion when Lewis wins another WDC over Rosberg. I CAN'T EVEN (I am Jenson Button trying to fit in irl)

No chubby seth mcfarlane in pit lane thinking anyone gives a poo poo about what he says.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I agree with forums poster be nice wicka. Hammy seems to be all over the place promoting F1 to audiences that wouldn't necessarily know about it otherwise.

I still think he's a massive twat, but technically he's probably right. It doesn't mean he's the right person to promote F1 or he's doing it correctly, but he is doing quite a bit of it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

No one cares but the guy all the way in the back is an injured supercross factory Kawasaki rider Wil Hahn, most notably known for being a nice guy who's injured all the time.

This is how his season was ended this year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnOR-qzaHXo

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Hahaha, this loving picture

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
It's abrubt, but I think it's more about trying to retain Max long-term.

Kyvat is a fine racer, but so are Sainz and Ricciardo. Marketing-wise he's also probably the least marketable dude. If RBR can keep Max, he would be replacing Kyvat next year anyway.

https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/features/2016/5/f1-russia-onboard-videos-unseen-best.html

If people haven't seen it, formula1.com has some good onboard footage that wasn't on the race feed. Gutierrez's shunt was probably the worst. He managed to rearend Perez(?) while everyone was tiptoeing into T2. He must have been looking in his mirrors and got caught out because they were coasting into the corner.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
1. That was the most awesome and exciting boring race I've ever seen. That track is a turd.

2. RBR is lucky. Any other track (other than monaco) and the Ferraris would have walked away.

3. Initially I wanted to blame Lewis because it's a desperate move to make in the 4th corner of the race, but if he needed to win, GOTO 1. The only place he could have made a pass is in the pits. I'm still blaming Lewis because 2nd would have been way better than 22nd, unacceptable poo poo move on lap 1 on a teammate, IMO. gently caress him and good for Nico not putting up with that poo poo. Learn how to start better Lewis, you dumb gently caress.

4. As one of the highest ranking members of the Seb-apologist club, I think I have to step down. His whining on the radio is poo poo. Actually really good driving from him and Their Dan not to hit each other, but it wasn't the Jesus of moves like Brundle made it out to be. T1 dive bomb. Wow. So inspired. Did I mention it's a terrible track?

5. Genuinely great drive for Max, even though he's ugly. I was so enthralled with the race I forgot about the Mercedes drama.

6. So happy RBR won a race again because everyone hates them so much and it's so satisfying.

7. Ted Kravitz must have made a bet to see how many times he could act like an unintelligible giddy gently caress on air and talk about how sexy RBR is looking. And then crying talking to Jos. gently caress you too, Ted. By far the most annoying personality in F1.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

daslog posted:

In the end, there was no harm done so the stewards really didn't need to jump in there anyway.

Yea I'm guessing mercedes sweet-talked some dudes to avoid a 10 spot penalty at Monaco for Lewis.

wicka posted:

"no further action" would have been the correct decision if rosberg hadn't knowingly had his car in the wrong engine mode. pretty retarded to throw an aggressive block like that when you hosed up and are 160hp down on the cars chasing you. and lewis saw the harvesting light flashing on rosberg's car, he would've known what was going on and was simply avoiding a far slower car. so it's not like he was making an over aggressive pass. the other option would have been slamming on the brakes, i don't think that would've worked out well either.

Lewis' starts are bad.

How bad are they?

Nico isn't even on the right engine mode and he still gets the lead.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

wicka posted:

it's all very dumb and i'm just glad it happened.

I think we can at least all agree on this.

Mercedes had more TV time by not even completing one lap instead of "No sense showing Rosberg, he's 3 pit stops ahead of second place"

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Human Grand Prix posted:

It's the only notable thing Guiterrez has done.

GUT just did that to Hulkenberg in Russia, without the fun aerobatics though.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
My uninformed opinion / guess is that just now it's a bit too thirsty and they've worked out the best fuel load / power output compromise they could for now. Further guessing says their "clean sheet" redesign for 2017 is due to fundamental limitations of the current ICE and/or packaging issues.

I'm quite impressed how they've improved from last year. I'm not even really a Mclaren fan, but I'm optimistic for next year considering how for they've come in a short period.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

learnincurve posted:

We know that Red Bull have it because Mario Illien designed it for them, Renault works are getting it next race in exchange for a 2017 contract with RB.

My takeaway from the TJI stuff is that it just makes combustion more efficient. All things being equal, does this mean it's more fuel efficient? Like could you use 4% less fuel to get the same amount of power?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Probably a lot of nothing, but:

Toto name dropping Alonso in an interview with El Mundo
http://www.elmundo.es/deportes/2016/05/16/5738b570ca474189578b4587.html

~“If Rosberg does not want to renew, then we will consider other options, like Fernando.”

TJ13 claiming they have a source saying Nico is in talks with Ferrari.
https://thejudge13.com/2016/05/18/alonso-to-mercedes/

Now that would be something, I could see Nico leaving, especially if he wins WDC this year. "Thanks, got mine, going to play out my last few seasons at the most iconic racing team of all time"

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

keevo posted:

There's a video of Rosberg being passed by Hulkenberg on the final corner - https://streamable.com/9rlq

Conspiracy: Rosberg signed that contract with Ferarri for next year and/or Merc ordered Nico to give Lewis the race. I dunno man, that was a poo poo show.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Isn't this the same argument the "HUURRRRRRR make them shift gears again!" crowd makes, but in reverse?

:argh: Make the drivers do something for a change!!!! Real Men would have been out there changing the tire themselves all the while going flat at Eau Rouge.
:argh: This is pointlessly complex, the drivers should just be focusing on driving!!!!

If the other driver on the team in an identical car can figure out the problem, then there isn't much of an excuse.

wicka posted:

Rosberg was helped by the fact that, when he suffered a loss of power, he had only recently switched to the suspect mode – and he worked out for himself that it might be the problem.

In contrast, Hamilton had not just switched to the suspect mode, and had been in it for a while. Thus it was that much harder for him to work it out.

"The team started with something switched on, so I had it from the beginning. I disabled something and it didn't change anything, I put it back on, it didn't change anything. In the end, I switched it off again, and the engine power came back 10 laps after that, maybe nine laps to go."

Lewis is an excellent driver with great racecraft and the best equipment available. Don't hit a loving wall and screw up your whole weekend by starting mid-pack. Start 2nd you dipshit.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Yea it sounds like it was a "you're not using the most efficient mode for ultimate lap times" warning.

I doubt there is much you can do to simplify it. It's the pinnacle of motorsport and if you're saying you don't want drivers to be able to change brake bias or diff settings or energy recovery then that just means the teams that allow drivers to do that will have an advantage.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

thegasman2000 posted:

Hold on melty face says something like Nico had no brakes Robyn after the race and everyone says crazy old bastard don't listen to him. Then he claims poo poo about Lewis being petulant and all of a sudden he is reliable.

The reason no one is buying the brake story is because it's likely so Nico doesn't get disqualified or something so they can still collect 4th place points. I'm just disappointed Nico didn't finish the job and take Lewis out completely. God damnit, Rosberg.

I briefly considered sending Ted death threats on twitter before cooler heads prevailed. But WHY Crofty, surely Lewis deserves his lead back because they were trying to hold off ferrari. What an utter loving insufferable knob.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I mean did they not watch the race? Doesn't look ok structurally to me :colbert:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Brainwrong posted:

I just don't get it. He's clearly got some wonderful dirt on Ferrari management that he threatens to blackmail them with. The same way Trulli and Ralf managed to stay in F1 for 30 years.

Still, I'd rather see Kimi in a Ferrari than that grinning spastic Rickydickydipdop

I like to think that Ferrari feels that Kimi has some dirt. All he does is sit and say nothing in negotiations and makes them nervous.

F: Kimi we're not going to re-sign you
K: [Shrugs, looks uninterested]
F: I mean we're happy with your effort these past years
K: [Stares]
F: Well, maybe we could work something out
K: [Non-committal shrug]
F: OK! Jesus. How's $30M sound? Come on!!!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

nsaP posted:

Apparently NASCAR drivers don't know how to defend against a pass?

There's not much you can do when drivers don't have to worry about front wing damage or punctures. It's basically video game racing in real life.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

You Am I posted:

Nope, it was the right call. Rosberg was crying that he was at full steering lock when he was braking, but the replays definitely show that the wheels were still pointing straight ahead as he screamed past the apex of the corner, then at the last moment turned the wheels

I'll give Nico the benefit of the doubt. Max juked a little bit towards the inside line which made Nico re-adjust his line slightly. He would have been full on the brakes and would have had to let off some to put some steering correction in there. Chances are he still would have been pretty deep in the corner, but having to make a steering correction when you're at max braking means you're either going to lock up and understeer or run it way deep when you let up on the brakes.

I don't think it should have been a penalty, but I don't really care that much either. I guess at least it gave us some drama.

This video is really cool, I like that it looks much more real and less processed/muted like the race streams. Everything always looks so bland but a camera that's not really corrected makes it seem way more "real" and exciting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Hahaha Ferarri only have themselves to blame, what possible excuse can you have for not having the best team having the most prestige and power in the sport. Complete arrogance? Who knows.

In other news, what am I doing with my life:
https://twitter.com/Earlsimxx/status/776343468822130688

• Locked thread