Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

gret posted:

Fraudberg status confirmed.

Some people have to believe you're good for you to be a fraud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

When was Hamiltons first f1 race? I think that's the last one I was at :/

2007, where Lewis finished 3rd because his foreigner teammate was favoured over him (some things never change)

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Williams will finish 5th or worse in the WCC, behind Red Bull and McLaren

poty fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 19, 2016

poty
Jun 21, 2008

F1 is dead

poty
Jun 21, 2008

thegasman2000 posted:

This is bullshit. Mercedes did the best job within the regulations. Why should the rules be changed to cripple them specifically. Its the whole attitude that they should level the playing field because some manufacturers did a poo poo job that pisses me off. They don't do it in any other sport.

Because the prospect of the same german team winning forever until the end of time is boring and poo poo and bad and F1 is a TV show

poty
Jun 21, 2008

When Nico Rosberg is winning F1 races, you know something is terribly wrong

poty
Jun 21, 2008

F1 is nothing like other sports. "Regulations" in other sports don't go much further than

1. The ball has to stay on the pitch
2. You can't go around punching the other people

The way you get ahead in normal sports is by finding a guy who is better than usual at kicking/throwing/hitting a ball. There are 7 billion people in the world.

You can search for as long as you want to, but you're not gonna find a better engine than the one Merc has (and obviously only Merc, not even their customer teams). You could hire the best engine designers in the world, it's gonna take years and hundreds of millions, and it still probably would be crap.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

I have to agree with learnincurve there, the midfield battles are as exciting as chess

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Wicka is right. Bernie's crime is trying to save F1 from the neck lock that Merc and Ferrari have over it

poty
Jun 21, 2008

This post was bad. My point is as follows: manufacturers can gently caress off

poty fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 19, 2016

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Tsaedje posted:

Trust The Worst Thread to totally melt down after one qualifying session. They'll modify it to something less stupid, and that will be the end of it. We haven't even had one race yet ffs, maybe put your F1 obituaries on hold for a few weeks?

If they don't want to go back to the previous quali system I propose:

A single hour long session version of the shitshow we had this morning, which would solve a lot of the problems.

22 minutes to set a decent lap, then eliminations every 2 minutes until there's two cars left to battle it out. The eliminations are slightly less rapid fire so there's a bit more time to do an outlap if you're in the danger zone.

Teams now have multiple sets of tyres to use over the whole hour so the quick teams don't use theirs up early and can still compete for pole at the end. Also you can start the race on whatever the hell tyres you like.

The whole point of the change is to have the eliminations start quickly so that when Rosberg fucks up he can't recover in the 5 mins it takes for him to be knocked out so he has to start from the back of the grid.

I guess you could do the single hour session, start eliminating 5 minutes in and do 2.5 minute intervals

By the way the only problem with the new qualy system is that the teams don't have the tyres to stay on track responding to each other all the time. Give them more tyres and see the problem magically get fixed

poty
Jun 21, 2008

F1 is dead

poty
Jun 21, 2008

It's sad to see Rosberg going back to his Spa 2014 tricks, running Lewis off the track and then cutting him off. This time he failed at destroying his front wing though. Would have been nice to see the stewards do something about it. Besides cheering for their favourite driver, Nico Rosberg, I mean.

And then the italians just forgot that the medium tyre existed, even though they had a 20 minute red flag period to work out their strategy. Right. The fix is in

poty fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 20, 2016

poty
Jun 21, 2008

krushgroove posted:

Played the Formula D boardgame last night with a few friends, we did the basic race around Monaco and had a blast. If you have a chance to play with a few friends and enjoy boardgames, give it a try, definitely thumbs up.

I'd like to play Formula D with Claire if you know what I mean

By the way, the game Motorsport Manager for iPhone and iPad is free right now, after costing money for years, sometimes a whole 2 bucks!!! I haven't played yet but people here said it was good. So it's likely to be awful.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Baron Corbyn posted:

The GPDA are calling for Bernie's head, in the nicest possible terms. Glad to see they're calling out the move to pay TV on their list of grievances.

I too believe that Vettel having a say in the rules is what will revive F1

-nobody, ever

poty
Jun 21, 2008

be nice wicka posted:

you guys make it exceedingly difficult to not get probated out of this thread

https://www.change.org/getwickasmomanaccount

poty
Jun 21, 2008

son, did you notice how Kimi tiene ganas de helado jaja

poty
Jun 21, 2008

learnincurve posted:

Allow me to enable you - This weekend it's the first Hankook 24H Silverstone and it's going to be awesome. (and I can't go :( )

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/events/24hr-at-silverstone/ Daily price £10, three day £25.

Compare and contrast with the F1.

Free Infield Parking
Free Paddock Access to ALL support races and access to the 24 Hour paddock
Roving access to all general admission areas
Free grid walk
Live music
Opportunity to take away used Hankook tyres
Grandstand access - National Pits Straight and Woodcote A*
Marching band to open to grid
Children 15 & under can attend the event for free

The best drivers in the world (and Rosberg and Vettel)
vs
A bunch of guys you've never heard of who drive like your mam

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Will it be driven by Tay?

I doubt Ferrari will let him terminate their multi-year contract

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Tsaedje posted:

Broken ribs are really hard to spot sometimes, especially if you're more concerned about more potentially serious injuries. When I smashed my shoulder into a million pieces I had lots of x-rays and CTs and they only realised I'd broken some ribs on a follow up x-ray a month later.

They detected it before he got in a car again, so what exactly has gone wrong?

The only reason "they" "detected" it is that Alonso felt pain while in Spain (probably under the rain) and asked a Spanish doctor about it

poty
Jun 21, 2008

The Channel 4 F1 intro features Claire Williams and is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvkMg60wMc8

poty fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 2, 2016

poty
Jun 21, 2008

As a medical professional, all the tests and symptoms point to the same diagnosis: F1 is dead

poty
Jun 21, 2008

As always, Bernie is absolutely right

I also like this video he posted on his Facebook account of Rosberg doing what he does best: https://www.facebook.com/Formula1/videos/581245668699086

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Brainwrong posted:

That was wonderful

https://streamable.com/z2kp

Take that you awful ginger dwarf.

Nando is always a strong contender in the #banter world championship (w#bc)

poty
Jun 21, 2008

track day bro! posted:

Failpeepee Assa

poty
Jun 21, 2008

simplefish posted:

- You don't think Merc has the fastest car?

- I would like to see closer points at the top with gappier points lower down, so 1st gets 25 points, 2nd gets 24, but the difference between 9th and 10th is like 10 points. I don't know, someone could do the maths, but the key thing of better places meaning points not penalties is kept, except you gotta work harder at the top because your rivals don't fall behind so quickly.

- I do think there is a need, when considering major rule changes, to consider when it isn't "F1" in character but only in name and has become a poor imitation of another series. I'm not saying it has, but if you want X from your Motorsport and X isn't in F1 but is in Rallycross, go watch that instead.

Hey we could do that as a fun thread thing: what are some of the defining features of F1 that should be present throughout changes, in your opinions?

- British teams
- British drivers
- British tracks

poty
Jun 21, 2008

be nice wicka posted:

"ballast" is a metaphor, it would actually be implemented as time penalties. but to answer your question, it's a competition, penalizing the best teams defeats the point of a competition. plus - it's not going to work. it's F1, teams are going to figure out the best balancing of starting/finishing positions to maximize points gained given ballast penalties, it will make the sport even worse.

Are these the same rocket scientists that couldn't figure out how to think 2 minutes ahead in order to have their drivers complete laps inside the timeout on the elimination-style qualy?

Which was a much better system than the 2015 one, so Mercedes lobbied hard and got it killed. F1 is dead.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Hell I forgot one

- A British owner/dictator

poty
Jun 21, 2008

learnincurve posted:

I have no problem with Mercedes becoming constructors champions again provided that Nico utterly stomps on Lewis in the WDC and we get to watch him slowly spiral out of control and ultimately quit the sport.

I think I will quit watching F1 if Rosberg wins the championship. The Vettel years were a farce but at least he's got some talent in qualifying besides all the cheating. Rosberg beating Lewis would be the triumph of politics and nationalism over skill and talent and it would put the final nail in F1's coffin

poty
Jun 21, 2008

I agree with 1500quidporsche he's clearly saying that the engine is less powerful

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Wicka I'm fully on your side in spirit but it's clear that it's not what he's saying. Please read the article again

poty
Jun 21, 2008

equivalent means "as good/powerful as" and almost means "very nearly"

You have intimidated 1500quidporsche into retreating and I'm sure you will attack me but you can't silence the truth

poty
Jun 21, 2008

I wish 1500quidporsche would stand up and defend his opinion, which is the correct one. If you let bullies take advantage of you they'll keep picking on you

poty
Jun 21, 2008

I agree, I'm so disappointed

poty
Jun 21, 2008

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123749/bottas-gets-williams-only-new-nose

Williams has decided to give their only new, sturdier nose to Bottas. Sources say that they hope "he'll be able to finish the job this time". Reports of involvement from Rosberg are unconfirmed

poty
Jun 21, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

Nico Rosberg 2016 WDC. I'm ready.

I didn't know Mercedes F1 management posted in this thread

poty
Jun 21, 2008

El Hefe posted:

Argentina has the best ever pope, best ever f1 driver and best ever football player.

and Las Malvinas son Argentinas too

1. We don't want your stinking Malvinas
2. They're British

poty
Jun 21, 2008

learnincurve posted:

Red bull are currently refusing to sign the new engine agreement for 2017 because they want the manufacturers to get hosed over by Bernie with the two different engine types thing and quit the sport. gently caress Red Bull.

Actually when you see Merc getting 3rd place on Q2 with a lap on softs it's easy to see that Bernie Is Always Right and Red Bull is the hero in this situation, which is hosed Up But True

PS: F1 is dead

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Look at this sexy sexy German

This picture will be the background behind the casket at F1's funeral (aka the awards ceremony for Rosberg's WDC). Given the rumours about the teams trying to oust Bernie, I expect it to take place in Brussels, at the headquarters of F1's new governance, the European Commission. They will fulfill all of the teams' wishes by doing what they do best, making sure that nothing gets improved while spending millions from British taxpayers. This thread is in for a treat, years and years of undisputed victories from the guy you love despite nobody actually thinking that he is the best driver, Nico Rosberg, while Our Lewis gets all the slow clutches, defective power units and tyres that for some reason last half as long as Nico's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

learnincurve posted:

Chyna of an OD and Victoria Wood of cancer both died this week

Wait, has Donald Trump been talking about that woman the whole time?

• Locked thread