Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Oh man a new thread to poo poo up. Woo! Almost time for my annual "willingly sleep on the sofa weekend so I don't wake the wife and kids up" event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Ok bold predictions:

Hamilton will go off the rails mid-season
Haas will finish the year having had a fairly respectable first year
Mclaren will put last years woes to rest and get on the podium a few times at least
Kimi will not be retained for 2017

That'll do for now

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Well that was a bit poo poo. They should just go back to 12 laps over the session.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Mercedes time as top dog will come to an end eventually, just got to stick through the tough bits

2000-2004 never forget :smith:

edit: gotta love this headline - Bernie Ecclestone declares F1's new qualifying format 'pretty crap'

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Well that was interesting, shame about the red flag.

I woke up on the sofa with half an hour to go before race start, dozed off and woke up again just in time to see Vettel leading at the end of the first lap. That woke me up pretty sharpish.

I'm hoping it wasn't just interesting because the Mercedes' got the start all wrong. What's it going to be like when they get a clean get away?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Noticed something during the race with the on screen graphics, a lot of people had mediums on and on the strip along the bottom showing the splits, some had a black M in a white circle, whilst some others had a white M with a white outline on the black background.

Anyone know the significance?

I'm liking the addition of lap numbers currently run on those tyres showing up next to the tyre type too (when comparing two cars fighting for a spot)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Alain Post posted:

I think one of those designates new mediums versus used mediums, but I can't remember which is which.

Ah yea that stands to reason, will keep an eye on it in future races to work out what's what

enri
Dec 16, 2003

A GIF of the Alonso crash plus a picture of the leftovers:

http://imgur.com/gallery/jjDx4

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I was trying to work out who Jolyon Palmer looked like.. then it hit me tonight. He looks like the bastard love child of Piers Moron.

Despite this, I still quite like him because :britain: and he doesn't appear to be an unlikable diva.

JP WDC 2019, give him a few years to find a decent car to drive

enri
Dec 16, 2003

As far as I understand it, terrestrial TV will likely still have highlights packages (and to be fair, for people like me who rarely get to watch the race live owing to family stuff, the more exciting race highlights do away with the fluff and concentrate more on the race), who will have it by then is anyone's guess - I imagine we'll find out in a few years time.

I'm still getting the F1 channel through the HD deal they did at the start, the moment we lose that, I'm hosed. I'll be buggered if I'm forking up another ~£25 or so per month for the sake of 1-2 races in that time frame. Get real Bernie you loving goblin.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Exactly!

So i dont get probated for a one word post, i'd like to ask a question about the new radio regulations. Mercades made a lot of noise this week about how nico wasnt allowed to be told about his brake overheating situation, are they allowed to convey this information via pit board? How hard/illegal would it have been to make

"P1 ROS
BRKHEAT"
HAM +.9
L45"

and display it?

I'm pretty certain they said they opted to not tell him, not that they couldn't. They are allowed to radio stuff in the name of safety, they just chose not to.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

learnincurve posted:

I don't remember anyone saying what a wonderful track it (e:Silverstone) was even back in the 80s, the point of old Silverstone was that you could get ludicrously close to the track in the cheap seats/grass areas with no security fencing, the public transport links are good from anywhere in the country, and if you are driving it's just off the M1 so everyone can avoid god drat Birmingham. Much as I love brands hatch it was always way too far south to be viable.

I used to live a 20 minute drive away from Brands. Kicked myself for never getting there in my youth.

Now I live a 20 minute drive away from Silverstone and I still haven't whipped up enough enthusiasm to get there for anything other than the occasional half marathon. Mostly because of ticket prices for the F1 but that's no excuse, there's plenty of other racing series I could get my backside to. But traffic.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Allow me to enable you - This weekend it's the first Hankook 24H Silverstone and it's going to be awesome. (and I can't go :( )

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/events/24hr-at-silverstone/ Daily price £10, three day £25.

Compare and contrast with the F1.

Free Infield Parking
Free Paddock Access to ALL support races and access to the 24 Hour paddock
Roving access to all general admission areas
Free grid walk
Live music
Opportunity to take away used Hankook tyres
Grandstand access - National Pits Straight and Woodcote A*
Marching band to open to grid
Children 15 & under can attend the event for free

monkeytennis posted:

WEC starts in April with ELMS supporting I think. That's an epic weekend for £40 (that was what we paid last year).
Loads of grandstands open and free to sit in. You could go and have a mooch around the back of the pits and see the guys fixing up bodywork etc. Traffic was reasonable. The racing was brilliant.

I was going to go to the WEC last year but ended up not bothering, I'm vaguely interested in WEC though as it actually has some names I'd recognise :)

Thanks both, will possibly check them out

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

Alex Zanardi wasn't disallowed from racing for having two missing legs, so I don't think one broken and pinned leg should be a barrier.

You can't hurt/damage what's not there :v:

learnincurve posted:

He broke his leg before the season started and raced with pins/plates in his leg, and the doctors determined that in the event of a crash the pins/plates would not effect the outcome . With ribs you have to let them heal on their own and until they are fully healed they are very weak to the point that even a sudden stop in a road car with a seatbelt on could re-break that rib and cause it to puncture your lung. It's the secondary impact thing all over again.

I remember the leg thing, but did I imagine something about him racing for half a season with a hosed up back? and he just kept quiet about it or something?

Also, morbid curiosity has gotten the better of me but I can't find any Jules Bianchi post-crash horror photos / videos :(

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Helicon One posted:

I have briefly seen a couple of them and they are etched on my memory forever and I have no desire to go searching for more. :smith:

Ok that's enough for me, morbid curiosity has mysteriously vanished

enri
Dec 16, 2003

:britain:

My problem with automatics is that I habitually ride the clutch when I'm sat in traffic, driving an automatic leaves me feeling bad for blinding the poor sod behind me with my brake lights because I'm too lazy to take it out of 'drive' and put it into 'park' to stop the inevitable crawl forward if I'm not also sitting on the brakes.

I also suffer from 'phantom clutch pedal' when driving automatics. My left foot just doesn't know what the gently caress to do with itself.

Automatics are just weird.

In F1 news!...... erm.. Haas are doing rather well aren't they?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I've got to admit, I've been enjoying the MotoGP highlights, I just need to make sure I don't catch the result before I get a chance to watch it

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

So I have several F1-related books that I'm offering to you goons if you want them:

Anyone who emails me at krushgroove169@gmail.com gets first crack at the whichever ones you want, just pay postage and one or all of them are yours. Most of these are gifts from the secret santa thing a while back and I've read them all but they're all in great condition. I'm in the UK so postage outside the UK will be a bit expensive, but if you want 'em you can have 'em.

:h: The Murray Walker book, definitely a good read

aequalis posted:

Hell, I like Wicka. I just use these forums to get an aggregate of any F1 news that I'd miss on a daily basis and to hear funny opinions of like minded fans. Most of the intense discussions just pass right over me.

How bout that Alonso huh? What a good looking man!

This is pretty much me, I gloss over all the inane arguments. Alonso's such a handsome chappy.

Sulman posted:

Jesus Christ, Button. You are supposed to be cool. What is this thumbs-up tomfoolery?

Button is in his mid-30s.. he's fast approaching the age of the awkward middle aged man 'thumbs up' and he knows it. I know this because I am in my mid-30s.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I'm really enjoying the NASCAR man.

Also, really looking forward to seeing Lewis' race start, what with his grid penalty and new gearbox. If he struggles to pull off the line again he's going to be down at P10 to Turn 1 at least. Really exciting. Looks to be a promising opportunity for the Scud.

If ever there was a time we needed Maldonado sitting in the mid-field

Norns posted:

No you seem to misunderstand. I already have a sim rig. Just talking about upgrading my pedals.

Office is a work in progress please ignore cables and poo poo.

Also, auto cross isn't a V8 F1 or a Lotus 49. :)

and I don't have a licence

I love seeing this kind of dedication to a hobby, but...

1500quidporsche posted:

my biggest issue with sim racing is I never get good feedback

...this :( I love driving a car because I can feel what it's doing underneath me, my butt gives me all the feedback I need. I get none of that from simulator stuff which is a real shame because I'd love to have a set up that looks like that.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Diet Crack posted:

Eat all the poo poo Lewis. Go everyone else.

That is all.

Just got done catching up, I'd like to second this. I'll enjoy any race Lewis doesn't end up on the podium.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I think Schumacher's more of a cabbage than a potato, at least potatoes can power a digital clock

enri
Dec 16, 2003

gret posted:

LOL at first I was like why is he posing with Dame Judy Dench.

Thirding, fourthing or fifthing Dame Judi Dench confusion.

El Hefe posted:

no

hes funny a trainwreck waiting to happen

A little more accurate this way.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

I had this inkling that Lewis would get his poo poo together and be on pole and I was going to skip watching qualifying.. imagine my surprise :allears:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Jesus, put the phone down, take the earphones out, and stop chewing gum when you are talking to someone you surly prick.

Please tell me this is Lewis :allears:

Currently the TV has been taken over by my offspring so no chance to watch any coverage at the mo. Boo.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

^^^ Yes, but I also enjoy peace and quiet and not a constant stream of whiney noises ;) I've got stuff I can do in the mean time anyway, it's no biggy

learnincurve posted:

Who else. He's at his usual position at the back of the bus away from everyone else and ignoring the fans. Cut to Nico at the front of the bus who politely took his sunglasses off when he was talking to Johnny.

I'm old and cranky and think being polite is more important than being "cool"

You and me both, manners cost nothing.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Riso posted:

Btw seeing your avatar reminded me.

Pastor is helping Pirelli test the 2017 tyres!

I didn't realise they crash tested the tyres too, that's a pretty thorough job they're doing

learnincurve posted:

Rumour mill is that it isn't really a replacement, it's a direct swap. He goes back to Toro Rosso "until he is ready" (for the next young driver to come along no doubt) and Max goes to Red Bull. Both drivers and teams get to keep points.

That's a bigger slap in the chops than just being straight up ditched and cast aside, being replaced by a kid barely out of nappies because you're not ready for the big boy seat. ha. Shame, I kinda like Kyvat. He looks like a goofy motherfucker. I bet he'd be a laugh to have a drink with.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

haha wait what... they actually switched frog boy for Kvyat?

Red Bull, the biggest bunch of cunts.

Helmut Marko, the biggest oval office of the bunch.

quote:

Max Verstappen's promotion to Red Bull was done to ease "the considerable unrest" at Toro Rosso between the teenager and Formula 1 team-mate Carlos Sainz Jr, according to Helmut Marko.

Oh yes, the considerable unrest we've seen nothing of since Australia. I'm sure it was, you twat :rolleyes:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

simplefish posted:

i didnt

me mum is dead :smith:

My sister in law showed me the card she'd got for her dad for father's day recently.

"Oh that's cool, I should totally get that for.... oh"

:smith:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Only just caught up with the race tonight. Wow.

Rosberg, truly the hero of the day. My only grumble is that Nico got wiped out too. Would have been nice for him to gain an extra 25 points on Lewis. That wheel toss :allears:

Brundle was doing my head in with the constant 'Lewis had a right to the space!' bullshit.

Shame frog boy won but eh, still better than Lewis on the top step.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

djssniper posted:

I thought it was Rosberg that threw the wheel out of the car, sure looked like a number 6 on the front

It was definitely Hamilton, the car the wheel came out of was facing the barrier, Rosberg's car was pointing back at the track

(that '6' is a petronas logo :v:)

enri fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 17, 2016

enri
Dec 16, 2003

learnincurve posted:

2011 is a go!

Although, saying that a gossip site came out with something mildly relevant. The stupid diamond earrings were a gift from Nicole and they would not come off. In order to "prove his love is forever" or some poo poo she made him weld them on at the back. Just before the last race he had them surgically removed.

what the actual gently caress :stare:

These loving crazy rich bastards.

...and I find myself liking Sir Jackie Stewart more and more, the more he weighs in on the first lap incident.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

There is a rumour making rounds in the Internet saying that Mercedes might bench Hamilton for insubordination - and because of some stupid stunts in some nightclub - for the Monaco GP. Is there any real site confirming this?

Oh god please be true, imagine the drama bomb that would follow

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

what was goon kartling and will there be more?

Must be a few years back now, but someone suggested the UK goons meet up for karting.

Despite living in Milton Keynes, I'd lost my job the week or two beforehand and couldn't make it.

If it happens again at MK, I'd definitely be up for it as I moved closer to the circuit (it's practically a mile away from here, I run past it every weekend)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Dudley posted:

I'm only 30 mins away, I'll totally turn up again.

Annoyingly, I'm currently an unemployed bum again, but not for too long yay. I'm game for it though once cash flow resumes. How many where there last time and how was it done? private party or arrive and drive style? and can anyone remember a ballpark figure for how much it cost? :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

nsaP posted:

Happened in Monaco to Rubens too....

I was going to say, that wasn't even that long ago. 2009 or 2010?

learnincurve posted:

...so it's now much easier to bin it.

excellent

The only thing that could possibly ruin Monaco this weekend is Lewis finally getting his first win of the season.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Don't say such things!

It's ok, I've been saying it every race since Australia, "this'll be it, Lewis will start winning again this weekend" - imagine how awesome this season has been for me to watch, approaching every race with that mindset.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Basticle posted:

Qualifying barely started, sauber still poo pooting it's pants

Just in case anyone wants to know what happened :v:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Only way it could be better is if Claire Williams were in it.

There's a "but I'm in Claire Williams" pun to be made here but I can't quite work it out.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Please god let there be enough rain for it to be a wet race but not enough that it gets red flagged constantly :ohdear:

I want to see Lewis aquaplaning into Nico at the hairpin. Plus for the first time in forever, I can actually watch live rather than waiting until this evening once the kids are in bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

julian assflange posted:

If this were to happen, do points get awarded or does the race have to have completed a certain distance to 'count' as a race?

Off the top of my head, half points for up to 75% distance or something like that, full points after. Not sure if there's a minimum % to get to half points.

• Locked thread