Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Is Ultimates any good? I'm kind of looking for another space team book (reading current guardians).

It's not exactly a 'space' book, but it is pretty good, and is where Thanos is showing back up. Original pre-SW, remembers being melted by Doom Thanos. I know Rocafort is divisive, but I think the book is really pretty and is exactly the style needed for the concepts Ewing's throwing out there.

Only minor quibble I have is... are we supposed to know anything about America's girlfriend? Like, she talks like she knows Kate Bishop, so is she from Young Avengers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Luchacabra posted:

What does this mean? Is it some sort of meta-narrative about the so-called sliding timeline?

The current story had the team venturing outside the multiverse to examine the whole 'time is broken' thing Bendis has been seeding over the last few years, and wound up with Galactus rescuing the team/maybe kinda joining them? and explaining that while time is largely fixed and resilient, some important events get dragged along with 'now', so they're always just a few years behind or ahead.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wanderer posted:

Unless he wins.

Surely that's when you use the mini to launch the actual ongoing: President Loki.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The pages with Thanos defined purely by negative space were pretty boss too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DrProsek posted:

It will come out a week after Scarlet #8.

(IE no, we don't)

Isn't Scarlet #8 solicited for May?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metalshark posted:

Am I crazy, or is Songbird's costume (and hair) one of the best looks in superhero comics?

If you're crazy, I'm one padded room over. Bagley kocked it out of the park when he designed that costume. It's also really cool how the shoulder pads look good on their own, but fit her sound-wings perfectly as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

head58 posted:

How many guys named Peter has Kitty dated?

If alternate universes count? At least 4.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

The first part of the Squirrel Girl/Howard the Duck crossover is the best thing.

EVIL SOUTHERN BELLE COSPLAYER RULES-LAWYERING THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME!

Yes, that needed to be in all-caps. It's such a tonally fitting concept, and the KraVan feels like a Chip addition, honestly. And I liked that he and Ryan shared the footnotes. A little disappointed that North is recycling the CYOA idea from his Adventure Time run next month, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's about grey dress SG fighting an evil-ish clone (bomber jacket SG)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Black Panther isn't the first super hero "of African descent", he's the first one who's of African nationality... unsubscribed!

At least they didn't do the 'African-American' thing where that term is so ingrained that it's applied to any black person, regardless of ethnic or national background.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Issue was pretty good, too, though I think Stelfreeze is doing a lot of work to keep things moving because this was a lot of set-up (some of which feels like it's building off of Hickman to the point where it's a little opaque to someone who didn't read most of that run and hasn't read Panther for a few years) and there's a lot of balls in the air. Like, there's a revolution to democratise/overthrow T'Challa, which might be a plot by a dictator, but probably has genuine grievances underlying it, there's a lady with mind powers who Panther thinks is behind it but might just be a figurehead, he's trying to revive his dying sister and angsting about being isolated, one of the elite bodyguards breaks her girlfriend out of death row because she was gonna be executed for stopping mass rape, and also they stole Wakandan-Iron-Woman armour?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Mask is new, Coates and Stelfreeze have talked about wanting to do more with the character's super-scientist African-Batman side. Plus it's very Kirby-influenced in look when it's summoned.

Only slightly clunky line was the Kanye quote, and I'm not even sure that's actually a problem and not just me noticing it because he called it out in that interview.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DrProsek posted:

I wonder if audiobooks for comics exist. Like how on Daredevil there's that audio mode for blind people that describes the scenes of the show audibly. I'd imagine comics are niche enough that there's probably way too little demand for that, but I hadn't really thought about how blind people could read comics and I'm just realizing the answer is probably "they can't".

I believe they did this for the first issue of Waid's Daredevil, but yeah, it's a medium that by it's nature doesn't really work for the blind, sadly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

I'm pretty much brand-new to comics but I picked up BP #1.

I felt it was good but the dialog, and prose in general, was really stilted. I know that's T'Challa's Thing, but it's part of the reason I don't really much like, say, Thor. It felt especially awkward here where ideas had a difficult time being communicated, and thus understood, amidst the weird syncopation to everyone's speech patterns.

Part of that may be deliberate as you say but bear in mind that Ta'nehisi Coates is new to writing comics (maybe fiction in general?) as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He's also said it every couple of years since The Pulse ended, though. I don't think he's mentioned having a script ready before, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Waid and Rios' mini is pretty drat good, but Rios herself is basically MADE to draw Dr Strange. Lady is awesome at doing dreamscape/otherworldly weird poo poo. The Waid story is more rooted in the status quo at the time, though, and sets up a plot thread that's never paid off.

I liked the Strange/Dead Girl mini that Milligan did, as well. And the goofy Defenders mini that I think JMdM and Giffen wrote, but both of those are more comedic.

And hell yes, the original Lee/Ditko run is frickin' amazing and batshit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah I dunno about Gwenpool. That literal last-page tone shift sure is, uh...let's say...unexpected?

I'll bite: What happened?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wanderer posted:

Either that or there's a specific Latverian version, concocted during Doom's brief experimentation with molecular gastronomy.

This. Doomza is a unique and transcendant Latverian delicacy and is unrelated to anything the Americans or Italians have concocted in their crude attempts to mimic Doom's true culinary mastery.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

6 is the crossover, 7 is the adventure in the savage land, and 8 is the Beverly issue, unless the blurb at the end is just loving with us which is possible.

You should read #6 anyway, though. And buy last month's Squirrel Girl to catch up beforehand. It has Kraven's airbrushed panel van.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not crazy, by the way, right? The end of this week's New Avengers was a deliberate shout-out to Jay & Miles (of Xplaining the X-Men fame), right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

The way Ditko originally drew her was pretty strange looking as well, but every female in comics ends up looking like a sexy model over time. Most artists just never learn to draw any other kind of woman.

There's a little 'Guest Star' pic on the cover of the next issue of Wolverine featuring SG, and it kinda points out the problem. If you draw her in a more naturalistic style, but keep the features as BIG as Henderson's cartooning, she looks really out of place, almost like a mean-spirited caricature mocking her. Henderson's version works because EVERYONE looks like that when she draws them. Hell, Betty and Veronica look kinda like that in Jughead.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't know what that thing is, but I wanna see Ms America punch it in the face.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Goddamn right it is. I'd put money on the event revolving around Galactus.

Well, he has to have some endgame for what the Ultimates did to big G, because no way is Marvel letting that be the status quo for the long term.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's almost definitely David Mack's style, and he did all the Alias covers.

Only other thing I can think is Black Widow, but that seems a little bit of a stretch and doesn't seem to match up with what Waid and Samnee are doing.

EDIT: And glad I said 'almost' because CBR say it's actually Stuart Immonen, which I would not have guessed at ALL.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 26, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I seem to remember them doing an Alias teaser in one of those Point One (or some other compilation) books a while back so yeah that's what I'd put my money on.

It was the 75th Anniversary thing, and it was certainly frustrating in that it was clearly setting up Jessica re-opening Alias, and then it went nowhere. (Well, until her guest spot in Hellcat next month, I guess)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

So you're the one person that reads it.

Hey now, I'm sure CM Punk reads them when Marvel sends him his comp copy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Matt Fraction at least had her as a woman figuratively trying to rebuild the Great Wall of China with a spoon and some sand during Dark Reign, and she comes off fairly competent in the movies. (Still love that beat in Winter Soldier where she stands up and shoots 2 Hydra goons without blinking and just carries on her conversation like nbd)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

The mansion which is now apparently a themed sex hotel (as of Standoff). Stay classy, Marvel.

I thought it was more like one of those murder mystery places, except Avengers-themed?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I stay exclusively in dives.

That's what they call sex hotels when they're not allowed to say sex hotel.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

So, when did Fixer stop being black?

And the cover of the new Thunderbolts is more 90s than the most 90s thing ever.

When they got a lovely artist to work on Thunderbolts (and then used a much better Mark Bagley variant cover to hype the book when it was solicited).

I like Bucky and the T-Bolts a LOT, and have heard good things about Jim Zub, so I'm getting the book, but the writing needs to be top-notch to get past that art.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ben Caldwell is SO GOOD. Dude can draw a dragon smashing a forest and two near-identical-but-distinct women having a quiet conversation and make them both look dynamic, and the colouring fits it perfectly. I also really like Kelly Thompson's voice, and despite that we have 2 different Avengers-adjacent team books with a magical little girl on the team, Singularity comes off unique, with the odd but endearing cadence to her speech.

Thunderbolts.... oooh, boy. Writing is solid enough that I'm in for the first arc, but Zub really only cares about Bucky and the girls thus far. The other dudes are basically interchangeable. Fixer is there for exposition, and Erik and Abe are.... also in some panels. Kobik is cute but with an edge, and Moonstone feels maybe a little TOO Moonstone-y, given the 'stopping in the middle of a fight to psycho-analyse one of the mooks' beat. But yeeesh, that art. At best it's bland, and I'd almost call it a 'house style' if Marvel actually had one these days. At worst you get awful stuff like Karla posing in her pyjamas for no reason.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: How was the new Punisher?

It's a Punisher book. Bunch of mercs shipping a designer steroid that improve combat performance, are being watched by the DEA, but Frank murders them all before a bust happens, except one dude who he served with and gets the drop on him.

I actually think it being fairly by-the-numbers is important though. The Punisher is the book most likely to get assholes complaining about 'some woman' or 'SJWs' ruining their comic, so if Cloonan opens up by showing she can write a decent, straight Punisher story, it's less validation for them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

The Dazzler Thor in A-force shows maybe there are other survivors from Battleworld Hanging around.

That whole intro was great, with Singularity just being so chipper about the whole thing. "THEY DO THE WILL OF DOOM! :haw:"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How has Spiderwomen been? I loved the Spiderwoman pregnancy arc, but held off on the crossover because I had no idea who the other people were beyond a one-line description.

It's good, but the Gwen stuff, much like her solo book, is the weakest part. To the point where the stuff in her world from the other titles is probably better handled. It's likely a good thing the writer is stepping away from comics soon. The Alpha issue lays out most of what you'd need to know, anyway, but you should be reading Silk if you have any interest in Spider-peeps, because it's really good, just solid super-hero stuff with a woman of colour in the lead and with striking art, and led to the crossover having one of the most heartbreaking Jameson moments in a while.

EDIT: I just read the preview pages for the next Gwenpool, incidentally... and... uh... it looks like it might be... good? Like, I intellectually knew it was possible, because Hastings has a good rep and Guruhiru are awesome at what they do, but... It's still weird for me that a book that exists solely because a variant cover gag might be able to justify it's own existence.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 6, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
#8 was half a Silk book too, and those parts were again the best elements, to such a degree that I assume Hopeless and Thompson are handling the parts where their characters are in the driver's seat.

I'm more interested by Earth-65's Reed Richards than almost any of the tangential other alternate versions of mainline characters from the main story of the book, and I think it's mostly because it trusts the reader to get it. He basically goes "Yup, I'm Reed Richards, super-genius" and we move on, instead of stopping the book to do a full origin story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

Robbi Rodriguez is retiring, not Latour.

Aw crud. I was looking forward to Spider-Gwen getting a new writer that might keep me on the book. I think I saw it announced as 'creator' retiring, and I'm kind of unfairly writer-focused, so I made an assumption.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I wonder how much Waid was kept in the loop, because Avengers also just had Vision's emotions become a plot point as well (and he's probably gonna try to murder Kang).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bendis just pulled her back into the Guardians, didn't he?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Castomira posted:

Let's be real, the MCU would almost certainly either erase her sexuality or kill off Sera in her first appearance (or both).

Actually, I think she's liable to be considered 'supporting' so she'd fit the MCU's acceptable diversity criteria. Marvel Comics are the ones scared to label her queer, what with Axel Alonso pulling that 'we don't like to label' poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wasn't the post-SW arc about Ms Marvel vs gentrification? That sounds more like you didn't get why the character was popular, because that sounds like EXACTLY what the people most hype about her would be into.

• Locked thread