Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

wombat74 posted:

This whole thing just pisses me off so I read last week's Squirrel Girl.

How awesome is Squirrel Girl?

Quoting myself from another thread, because I really want to say this again.

Air is lava! posted:

I usually don't really care for comics, but I bought and read those on a whim yesterday. And they are incredibly good! I love the story and the characters and the world building and the humor and the twitter synopsis's and the general positive attitude.

Unlike most heroes, she actually wants to help her enemies get better, because she's a good person, rather than a sociopath who just wants to assault 'bad guys'. :3:

And the Deadpool villain collection cards are incredible!

The art is actually quite nice too. I can see why someone would dislike it, but it's just incredibly fitting. That Galactus panel doesn't really do it justice, though. It's probably due to the helmet.

Huge recommendation from me! I really want her to show up in the MCU now.

This is one of those situations where something is so extremely my thing, that it makes me feel giddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Squirrel Girl status: Still the best!
Like many other interpretations in this comic, Moleman being a MRA goon is surprisingly fitting. He certainly didn't get to date a lot of people during his life. But ewww, she's quite literally hundred years younger than him. And I don't think the could bond over nuts, squirrels, computer science or underground dirt stuff.

Also Tony, Never date Brad! I mean it!
The idea of super hero truthers is just so incredibly appealing to me. I want to see more of Brad and his version of society.

I love that facial expression and every time I read "denounce my blogging" I start to giggle. Try to say that out loud. Now try to say it angrily while keeping a straight face.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Why is Thor talking in that archaic way in the most recent Vote Loki? Does she do that in order to hide that she's actually from Midgard? As far as I'm aware she doesn't do that in Mighty Thor. It must feel so stupid having to fake that dialect. "Oh. Wow. Indeed thou dost burn him."
Also she basically drops that again on the next page.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

This also clears up an issue since Loki in Mighty Thor is, like, wanted for trying to assassinate the All-Mother and it's confusing why Thor wouldn't try to track him down for that.

That theory is contradicted in Mighty Thor itself. In some panel she's just standing there, looking angry at his political speech.
And of course she would be aware of this stuff she lives on earth and that is basically the top news story.

Maybe since he hasn't committed any recent crimes on Midgard and she can't just go out and attack him because that would technically be a political assault and might only make him more famous.

It's really not that difficult to track Loki down at this point, but Thor is out of her jurisdiction and the Asgardians can't be bothered to leave their little god dimension.

I actually like this book a lot. Loki just goes with the flow and is basically untouchable. And I hope everyone is so preoccupied with their minority reports that they wont bother top stop him. I want president Loki as the new status quo. And I can't wait till he wants to build a wall around space, to keep the illegal aliens out.

...are Svağilfari and Hrimthurs a thing in the Marvel Universe?
EDIT: Apparently they are.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 7, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Gwenpool is still quite fun.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

SirDan3k posted:

It'd probably be more of an impact if it wasn't trying to sell me on She-Hulk being in for realsies danger, there are many characters you can imperil with the threat of death and disability none of the Hulks are on that list.

Yeah, killing off She-Hulk by keeping her in a coma for an indefinite time seems kinda lame. If they had planned to seriously hurt her, she'd have died right there on the battlefield in a dramatic fashion. I know this is just meta thinking, but come on. The status quo wont be "And Walters has been in a coma for the past 20 months.".
I am not really interested in this whole CW2 business and I feel like it's making everything it touches worse. And this comic doesn't even really involve CW2. It's just that something bad happened to Jessica recently.

But once you look past the reason for She-Hulks state and ignore the fact that it's temporary, the latest Hellcat was kinda sweet. Those women are good friends and kinda cute together and of course it is terrible if something suddenly tears such a relationship apart. So it was depressing.

On a more positive note, Jubilee is around now.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

In contrast, I have no idea why so many new Inhumans are flocking to their floating alien city with their weird alien customs and scowling alien guards and internal alien politics. It's completely bizarre to me that it's just super normal for some random schlub like Ulysses to get hit with the mist and just shrug and go off to live in New Attilan like it's just the most obvious thing to do. It makes no sense unless Terrigenesis secretly alters your brain chemistry in some way so you just naturally flock to other Inhumans (which wouldn't explain Kamala) (but then again she's better than the rest, so).

At least that seems to be how it works on marvels agents of SHIELD. (the tv series) Around there, Inhumans tend to be more prone to addictive, or obsessive behavior, because all their live it felt like there was missing a huge part of them. The show even goes one step further. When the Kree started their experiments, they actually designed that "hole in the head" on purpose, so they could be controlled by Hive more easily.

I guess it kinda works the same way in the comics to. So before they got misted they weren't exactly normal humans either. Kamala could work the same way. But the higher purpose she found for herself is being a hero and hanging out with people she obsessed over for years.

So while a mutant, with some ability he got by pure chance, might pursue his dream of being an IRS officer, Inhumans inherently feel like they were made for something bigger, which is technically true.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 24, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Jubilee and Kitty Pride are still kinda cool, I guess.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm curious as to what's stopping them from going "Hey so our guy here had a vision where you do this bad thing at X place at Y time. We'd like to discuss why you would do this and to play it safe we're going to ask you to take a vacation or leave the state until Y time happens, thus preventing the vision from occurring. Also don't do try doing that."

So there you go. You can be proactive on poo poo like Thanos (which Carol was right to act upon but she should have called EVERYONE) but stop dumb poo poo like the teenage gestapo we have on Ms Marvel.

They actually sort of tried that on Ms. Marvel. Kamalla basically told them that they want to keep him that guy locked up for that one night. But Bruno was incredibly impatient.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

I'm not saying to much, but someone in this issue is french kissing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I want to make sure I got this right, Dan Slott thought that Squirrel Girl was given her own solo book to destroy the traditional demographic of comic readers?

:psyduck:
No, it's even better. He convinced himself, that it was a false flag operation to prove that female oriented comics are always awful. In other words Marvel produced an awful book, just to point at it whenever someone demands something more progressive.

Needless to say, that opinion is wrong in pretty much every imaginable way.

And it's not about Dan Slott (whoever that is), but the guy who posted further up.

SirDan3k posted:

Just because they created the Springtime for Hitler of comicbooks doesn't mean I wasn't right.
This guy.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 28, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

X-O posted:

What are you talking about? Dan Slott has nothing to do with this at all. It was SirDan3k the poster in this very thread.

Sorry, I clarified my post. Who is Dan Slott and why does everyone think that I'm talking about him?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

The Marvel Universe: *Is gripped in a worldwide conflict of ideals between heroes*

Doreen Green: *Has a dream where she teaches Count Nefaria to count on his hands in binary*

Well, she's going to beat up the Marvel universe in October. That graphic novel should just be the arc conclusion of this Civil War nonsense. Everyone is fighting amongst themselves, she gets fed up and clobbers them up until the whole issue is resolved and they can be friends again.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 24, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I was just doing a meme [...]
If you ever start a sentence this way, you should reconsider some of your decisions.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I caught up with Gwenpool!

Thinking about going for Kamala's series next.

It's a good idea to do that. But give it some leeway at the start.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The latest Howard is quite something. I kinda want to call it self felating meta nonsense, but that would imply that I didn't totally enjoy it. Chip Zdarsky is an interesting writer...

Chipp may have literally killed Howard off.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
USGBUMU was just released digitally and quiet good, well if you aren't a monster and like the main series I guess. Of course Squirrel Girls middle name is Allene.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Also Squirrel Girl beats up the Marvel Universe is awesome and adorable and I love it so much.

I encourage everyone to buy and read it! It does a perfect job explaining just exactly why she is the best at what she does. I love Ryan Norths computer sciencey approach to her character.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't trust 'em after hearing her voiced for this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij8lRby8V5Y

This voice really doesn't work at all. It's relaxed, cool and calm. Squirrel girl is an overexcited, chipper, dork! Even that stupid Spiderman cartoon has a more fitting voice for her than this.
(The book itself is incredible and I recommend it to everyone who reads this!)

Also New Avengers is still cool.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 27, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

OhFunny posted:

Chelsea Cain, the writer of Mockingbird, just deleted her Twitter account after a wave of shitheads begun harassing her after Mockingbird #8 came out.

Aww. :( She sure didn't deserve that. Stupid assholes.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Love the Gravity Falls reference on that coin thing hanging off the back of her hair

Sorry to burst your bubble. But without the cylinder it's just an eye of providence. That's like saying there is a Gravity Falls reference on a dollar bill. (In fact, that's probably also why he is called that way.)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

X-O posted:

The suit got messed up, but she and part of the suit survived.

Pod died. Aikku survived but Pod died. That was the whole point.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
At least the Great Lake Avengers are still complete dorks with even less aptitude than that. It's nice to have some constants in life.
Their new team member is a bit weird though.

She is an inherited werewolf thing who calls herself Good Boy, because her Fursona identifies as male. I'm not even paraphrasing. She's literally an internet furry.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Wait. Is Jennifer working at the law firm from the beginning of her last series? Because they fired her and they really didn't part on the best of terms. She thoroughly burned that bridge when she broke that table.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a new law firm.

I checked again. Apparently her old firm was called Paine & Luckberg as opposed to this new firm called Ryu, Barber, Zucker & Scott.
But here she clearly thinks "Old law firm, new office. A few familiar faces." So when did she work there? The only firm of her past that I could find is Goodman, Lieber, Kurtzberg & Holliway.

So it's kind of a retcon? I feel a bit bad for typing that out.

But it's good to know that she didn't come back to those P&L jerks who only wanted her as a mascot and for her contacts. And it's nice that Patsy is still there for her.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 30, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I know it would totally break the tone of that comic, but I want Doom to enlist the help of Squirrel Girl. She's the best at rehabilitating villains and they have shared history. (future?)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
That secret empire seems really nice and helpful. I thought they were the bad guys? On the other hand, they have volcano helicarrier fortresses. Something that cool can't be truly evil.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

united we stand seems to me like it's the heroes coming together to fight some other group (ie the secret empire, an already established bad guy group)

Until Carol realizes (and convinces others) that there is actually quite a lot of merit in their believes.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Hellcat continues to make vampire Jubilee awesome.

This arc didn't really do anything for me. Black Cat acted really stupid and incompetent, compared to her characterization in Silk. Ever since Shulk was out of commission this comic really seems to be missing something. Vampire Teen Mom is great, but she can't replace Jen as Patsy's best friend.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

What the gently caress

Chip Zdarsky, like many creative people, is somewhat of a weird person. At least he presents himself like that.
If it is any consolation, he posted that 8 years ago. On the day, actually.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

hey guys I read Civil War 2 and it was really bad, help.

It's your fault!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Starsnostars posted:

You called it.

All of these people look so sad to be there. "I am in another one of those things?" :smith:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The stakes in Ms Marvel are kinda uneven.
"You have to betray your friends at SHIELD and upload this super complex virus onto their database, effectively compromising the security of the whole internet. If you don't do it, I will force your classmate to come out of the closet!"
This isn't even some stupid threat which she immediately refuses. She's right there in the triscelion, virus in hand, before she decides that caving in to this blackmail might not be the best idea. I get that she is a emotional teenager who is usually way over her head, but she's awful at seeing the bigger picture.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
While I usually like mawkish stories with a positive attitude, that whole Ms Marvel story arc was kinda stupid.
"Let's defeat the self improving, malevolent super virus by making everyone on the internet act nice for a day!"

I really liked what the USAvengers are setting up, though. But I feel that I will need to know a bit more context about cpt. Hydramerica soon.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Hydra are cool and not Nazis.
They are an ancient organization which manipulated them to leech off exorbitant funds for personal projects. When Rodgers defeated Hydra during the war, he only made the Nazis more efficient.
So in some sense, he was aiding Hitler all along. Good thing that's changed now.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 21, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

But they have now essentially tainted Captain America the symbol.

Don't you think that's a bit melodramatic? Captain America was always on some ridiculous high pedestal of morality and goodness. That's not surprising since he was essentially created as war propaganda. Obviously everyone trusts him the most, because he was always a good boy scout who wanted to protect everyone. In some sense that was the only strictly constant thing in the whole Marvel universe. The story is about exploring what could happen if you put all your faith into a single idealized person. If everything is based on one linchpin who holds all the power, things go to poo poo easily. The entire tag line of the event is "What if your most trusted ally becomes your biggest enemy?" (or something like that.)

The comic is based on the fact that Rodgers was influenced by his strongest foes. But due to the characters origins, those happened to be Hydra. That signifies how outdated Captain America and his origins actually is. This whole outcry only exists, because Rodgers enemies started as Nazis. If he had been created in the 70s Hydra might have started as a Vietnamese organization. The story could essentially be the same, but suddenly people would be way less shocked about it.

I guess what I am saying is that it's good to taint Rodgers as a symbol. I can't feel interested in a story where a character is a pure symbol rather than you know, a character. If he comes out of this all fixed up, but nobody actually trusts him anymore it will be a nice chance of pace. It could actually lead to some interesting internal struggle and character building, rather than a constant presentation of an idealized morale compass. I usually completely avoid those big events, but I actually think there is some potential here. I don't have much faith in the event but the fallout and different comics might go in some interesting directions.

For the record, I've read secret wars 0 and 1 and found it kinda average. I like how quickly everything went to poo poo. But it does seem weird that the invading force of the Cytauri allegedly has a size in the trillions. I think at that point humanity should just give up on principle.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 4, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

rantmo posted:

I ask this in all seriousness, but have you read much Captain America? Steve hasn't been written like that in a long time, maybe until the issue before Brubaker took over but since then that's simply not the way he's been portrayed, like, at all. There's nothing wrong with humanizing the character, which again has been exceptionally well done over the last dozen years, but to argue that tainting the symbolism of any heroic character with even the faintest soupçon of Nazism is a pretty loving gross thing to defend much less declare. Cap the fascist/totalitarian could be an interesting story, Cap the secretly always was Hydra and thus in league with the Nazis and one way or the other complicit in the Holocaust is something ever so slightly a completely unrelated thing.

I'm not saying that it's great, but essentially they've written themselves into a corner. The idea behind this event is that Captain America secretly works for his biggest enemies. That would be the military organization called Hydra which he fought since inception. So far this sounds like it could be something interesting. But since Rodgers was created as war time propaganda, Hydra was explicitly portrait as a Nazi division. So the implication is that he's a Nazi as well. This is technically correct, but feels kinda incidental.

If Captain America and Hydra would have been created under different circumstances, Hydra wouldn't even be affiliated with the Nazis and would be a generic totalitarian army fighting for whatever political ideology was relevant for the USA at that time.

I'll try to read this event a bit disconnected from the origin stories, since it doesn't seem relevant to me. I know that is hard for a lot of people who directly replace every instance of the word Hydra with Nazis but I think that is the story the writers want to tell here.
But yeah, if it turns out that the super solider serum was secretly produced by harvesting countless brain cells from holocaust victims it would make the connection Hydra=Nazis actively relevant and I would hate everything about it.

But maybe I am missing something. Has there been a recent event in Hydra which deeply links them to nazism? Like something they could not have done if they were a generic totalitarian army of supervilians?

God! discussing comic books so sincerely feels terrible.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

I mean not to just be glib but the argument that "well if Captain America had been created at some other time in some other fashion he totally wouldn't be the same thing and people wouldn't be up in arms about him being turned into a secret not-Nazi" is like, maybe? You might be right but it also doesn't really matter because circumstances are what they are, what-iffing things isn't really germane to the fact that Hydra is by hook or by crook affiliated with Nazis and that Captain America is Marvel Comics' premiere Nazi-puncher. There've been I'm sure all sorts of other big comics events where so-and-so character gets brainwashed or magicked into working with the bad guys or turns out to have been a secret shapeshifting alien infiltrator or whatever, but the difference there is that none of those events involved Captain America being retro-magically-actived into always having been a Nazi. You can't really just decide to excise the context of something wholesale and then go "see, but if you remove all of this stuff it suddenly doesn't seem that bad."

Hmm. Fair enough.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Is Captain America and the Falcon #148 recent enough, what with coming out in April 1972?

Yes it is. I give in.

But I am still fairly certain that the writer thought in a similar way.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Also this week's Hawkeye was amazing, and not just for The Return Of Lucky.

I can fully agree with this. I loved how they handled Jessica Jones. After she was thrown off a tower, she just felt kinda grumpy and annoyed. I've only read the ongoing Hawkeye series and I really like Kate. Can someone tell me which comics I should read if I want to learn more about her? I'm not really familiar with Barton either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
So are those the outfits they are running around in day to day? Are they fighting with that? Will there be fights at all?
Medusa looks so awful! I have no idea who that actress is, but she looks kinda bland and really bored. But maybe it's because it's a full frontal shot. Those are rarely flattering. Blond girl looks a bit better.

• Locked thread