Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Am I crazy, or is Songbird's costume (and hair) one of the best looks in superhero comics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

quote:

Jake Thomas: Err, uh... Kamose1234, you might want to sit down for this. Sadly, things haven't worked out so well for StarKat. In the most recent arc of Guardians of the Galaxy we saw that Peter and Kitty had split up in the time jump after "Secret Wars." Both the current "Guardians" and "Star-Lord" books are dealing with the whens, whys, and fallout of the Kitty/Peter split, so if you're curious, you can find the rest of the story there. But if you need a moment to collect yourself, we understand. We miss StarKat, too.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/x-position-marvels-x-editors-tease-civil-war-ii-showdown-tackle-big-questions

Don't know if anyone else cares about this (I want a superhero space wedding, drat it), but I went back and re-read GotG #6 as I didn't even realise that Kitty and Peter had broken up post SW. I just didn't take the 'I lost my friends' and 'I lost you' lines as anything other than Peter beating himself about Spartax getting hosed up. Was this me being dumb?
Having recently read Ultimate Spider-Man, at least I know that Bendis does put his couples through the ringer so there is still hope for my space wedding. Their whole scenes in GotG #6 seem pretty low-key though, since while they're obviously busy, they don't particularly act very differently, even for an amicable break-up, and they don't actually talk about it as they immediately go on to discussing her terrible taste in costumes, which is a part of her cheering him up.

Also, even allowing for 8 months post-SW they were not engaged for very long, though Peter was still very much into Kitty in their SW mini after he got scattered in Battleworld, so he must really have been bad at ruling Spartax.

I also thought that the new Star-Lord book was focusing on his early years in space, so I'm a bit confused that the other story is dealing with their breakup?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

I didn't see a more appropriate thread in BSS or TVIV, but this ties into the comics so hopefully it's of interest:

Does anyone agree that Avengers Assemble has gotten surprisingly excellent in Season 3? I remember precious few good moments in the first two seasons, but they just had an episode that was Hawkeye does Die Hard in Avengers Tower vs the Baron Zemo and the Masters of Evil (I wiki'd the Masters of Evil to check the various lineups and saw a note that this is Avengers Under Siege, presumably?) and they're building towards the Thunderbolts.

Guardians of the Galaxy has been better after the initial 10 episodes too, using Captain Victoria from the recent Legendary Star-Lord series and Ship/Rora in recent episodes to good effect. It's been quite interesting seeing them use various Cosmic stuff, even if it can be a bit disappointing (Mantis was pretty weird in her appearance) but the episodes are fun, even if the main storyline is a developing glacially.

Ultimate Spider-Man continues to be terrible in Season 4 (even with Scarlet Spider being solid), being all Spider-Man and no Peter, while also completely underutilising any of the numerous interesting supporting characters they've established.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

I want to see Smasher and their kid return too, but I am also super excited for more of Sam and Roberto being buds!

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

I love how Al Ewing answers typical questions in a way that is intriguing, yet humble, while showing off his wonderful grasp of Marvel history and and how he looks at it and uses it:

http://marvel.com/news/comics/26075/declaring_civil_war_new_avengers?linkId=23841744

:allears:

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

While she's undoubtedly been screwed over yet again in this event, I did like Maria's line to the World Security Council that established supervillain incarceration doesn't work so don't hate on this latest plan just because it also didn't work. It was something at least, regardless of the questionable morality of the initial plan - though I do wonder why they couldn't have had her gain approval from the WSC beforehand, rather than have her be the focal point for blame/out of control etc. :shrug:

At a certain point, SHIELD might have to be shown as competent, or at least a worthwhile ally because it's getting ridiculous how useless and antagonistic they are. Though I'd possibly miss the incessant helicarrier crashes.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The Damage Control story in Choosing Sides was amazing. It had such heart and was just super fun and completely unexpected to me, though I confess I know very little about Damage Control beyond Irredeemable Ant-Man and some brief appearances of theirs.

Shalvey's Nick Fury Jnr. story was a strong opening, exactly what you'd expect from him and Bellaire, but his writing was straight to business and effective.

The Night Thrasher story was solid and simple, but possibly sets him up to go to Baltimore which with Sam Wilson and Nighthawk in Chicago would be another interesting opportunity for important commentary, or it was just a good line.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

I think it's disingenuous to say that people are silly for getting upset about character deaths in mainstream comics, since almost anything can be retconned, so the argument can be made that you shouldn't get excited about anything either. I don't want to seem hyper-dramatic on the internet with this argument, but One More Day, Cap's entire history (I know, I know) etc do show that very few things are sacred.
Regardless, surely it's a good thing that people care after all these years? I say this as someone who gets frustrated at the whining against more diverse legacy characters too.

That said, killing off a black character during Civil War again, while in the same issue resurrecting someone without even putting much effort in... comics are weird. I'm mostly concerned about Shulkie since she's amazing in Hellcat and A-Force, and her recent solo series owned. She'd be such a loss to them, but I'm confident she'll be fine and I hope that the next Hellcat issue is still fun, despite everything.

EDIT: Bring back Phyla-Vell!

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 24, 2016

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

I think that this article is essential reading, especially with regard to the complaints about the latest Steve Rogers story, creators under 'siege' and the changing audience in comics fandom: Where Have All The Good Men Gone? Thoughts On Superhero Fandom

3 particularly good paragraphs:

"The new superhero fans want to be included, and there’s no reason why they shouldn’t be. Yet if fans dare so much as create a hashtag like #GiveCapABoyfriend, they’re scoffed at, sneered at, dismissed as “entitled.” Creators and editors should welcome these readers, but instead they act like they’re under siege. They deride the fans and belittle their concerns; they place their creative integrity in opposition to the possibility that art can respond to culture; and they use the horrible behavior of the worst kinds of fans to dismiss the views of any critics. We should all be united in condemning the use of lies, threats, and harassment to advance an agenda, but that censure should be directed at those responsible if it’s going to have weight; it is not meant as a silencing tactic." (c.f. Dan Slott on Twitter.)

"But one can appreciate the intelligence of the story, and even see how it will be undone, and still recognize that it sits right on a tender nerve running through contemporary fandom. If you admit that there is a growing audience coming into comics that wants a version of Steve Rogers closer to the one on the movie screen, this version is not only tone-deaf, but provocatively dismissive. For women, people of color, and LGBTQ people, oppression and violence are often realities of everyday life. A story that says “white men in uniform may not have your best interests at heart” is not a shocking twist; it’s a bitterly familiar reality. These fans must feel like they’ve been invited to the party only to be turned away at the door."

"During last year’s Secret Wars event, a miniseries called Planet Hulk by Sam Humphries and Marc Laming seemed to posit an alternative reality where Steve and Bucky might be lovers, but this was never confirmed on the page. Marvel thinks that “Cap is a Nazi” is a story worth telling in its main continuity, but it won’t commit to “Steve and Bucky are lovers” even in an alternate gladiatorial world overrun by Hulks. That sends a definite message about what sort of reader Marvel wants; don’t expect an official Steve/Bucky coffee shop romance comic any time soon. (If you don’t think there would be enough drama in that sort of love story, hoo boy, do I have a whole canon of world literature and theatre to introduce you to. You’re in for a treat.)" (See also: Angela and Marvel's shyness about LGBTQ labels compared to PoC lead characters.)

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

I totally agree that a Prime Universe/616 Cap & Bucky romance would be wrong, and I hear you on the bisexual representation (though I wouldn't be against Cap (or loving ANYONE) coming out as bisexual while in a 'straight' relationship, as it would be nice to see bisexuals who are in 'hetero' relationships represented somewhere, even recognising our privilege of passing) However, not everyone is going to be aware of their WWII comics history, having seen the movies or whatever and then wanting a Cap to reflect them/their interests. Even now, it's not like you're spoiled for choice with LGBT characters and if you're a fan of the excellent Chris Evans portrayal in the MCU, which easily supports queer readings if you wish to do so, you're gonna gravitate to Cap and/or Stucky and what do you get? No one is seriously arguing that comics should solely cater to whatever this demographic is, but if you look at all of the comics that Marvel are publishing (an impressive percentage of which are excellent, no doubt) this new and hungry audience is being underserved, and coming in for a lot of blowback, which is disappointing when you consider the classic comic book shop experience. There's a reason groups like The Valkyries are so important to people.

Also, the SW Planet Hulk miniseries queer baiting so hard really was weak, despite being excellent otherwise.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

X-O posted:

Well sure if you want to make Cap gay even though in 75 years of stories there's never been any inclination he was gay, and in fact plenty of proof that he wasn't, sure go ahead. It doesn't make any sense. It's not like an Iceman situation where there were theories from fans for years that he might be. But the problem is, as pointed out when this this was trending on twitter or whatever, the whole campaign is completely disingenuous. It wasn't people wanting Cap to just be gay. It was people specifically wanting Cap and Bucky to be a couple. And not even based on the comics, just because of the movie. The same people would likely be just as mad if Cap was gay and not with Bucky. Because that's what they want in the movie.

I think that it's difficult among all the noise to separate a genuine desire for further representation, a genuine love for their desired Stucky relationship, and the crazies who are going psycho Arrow fan about it and solely focus on Stucky above anything else (like good storytelling or awkward history, or whatever), but lumping everyone in together is harsh, as there will always be crazies on both sides of any argument.
The 75 years of stories argument doesn't hold water for me either, since you can look at Wonder Woman and her complicated sexuality that could be made overt (and would have been, in a more open-minded time, which makes her current situation mystifying). Wonder Woman shows how there are some characters who are off-limits to being LGBT, even when they could or even should be. Note that I'm not saying that Steve necessarily should be revealed as something, but he would be an amazing representative for whatever group if he were to 'come out', which is obviously tantalising to LGBT people just like having a Black Captain America is important. If there were plenty of other gay characters I would be looking at Steve less as a potentially amazing representative and more as a character, whereupon I would weigh up my interpretation of his sexuality differently. Objectively, he seems pretty vanilla to me, based on what I've read of him in the comics, which is Hickman's Avengers, and plenty of event books, but I've only ever read Sam Wilson's Captain America volumes, so I've not seen the space for Steve to get it on.

You could write an amazing story about a man out of time coming to terms (or not!) with his sexuality in our modern society though. Not everyone knows it/recognises it from the off, and these stories are also valuable.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

http://www.fastcocreate.com/3061358/marvel-comics-editor-in-chief-axel-alonso-announces-divided-we-stand-for-the-fall/

Look, I know it's a teaser and we don't know what books will be out yet, but this is their big initial advert and there is one definite LGBT character (America Chavez). RiRi and Nadia are yet to be confirmed I suppose, and maaaaaybe Kate Bishop realises she's actually Bi down the line, since there was a hint of it at the end of Young Avengers. Still though, that's plus Angela (+ Sera, maybe, in GotG), Anole in Extraordinary X-Men, the Icemen and Psylocke if they all continue on in books. Otherwise, there are some supporting LGBT characters like Silk's friends making occasional appearances.

quote:

"That's the effect you want to have," Alonso says. "We're all about creating books that connect with readers of all types.This has been a natural and organic process for us, and there's been an evolution on it for us over the last few years. Looking at the teaser now, I'm noticing for the first time that you've got five caucasian characters in the mix, five African-American characters, a Korean-American Hulk—it's more diverse than I ever would have imagined, and I think that's a good thing."

Oh really, Axel? http://geeksout.org/blogs/nathan-tabak/how-marvels-editor-chief-closeted-angela

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 30, 2016

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

TwoPair posted:

What are you talking about Kate Bishop's sexuality for? Fielding your All-New All-Gay Avengers?

I was looking at the teaser image and seeing Axel Alonso going on about diversity and connecting with all readers while there is one definite LGBT character among 26. What happens if America is in the kind of book you're not into as a reader specifically looking for a Marvel comic that features LGBT characters?
For the record, I don't think Axel Alonso is a big homophobe or whatever, as I imagine he probably has to walk the line of the corporation which is probably super frustrating, but these are softball questions that he is fumbling, and making Hercules straight is just bizarre.

^^^Lurdiak has hit the nail on the head there in the post above.^^^ Edit: I missed your post Squizzle, but, while I respect your point which is definitely a valid interpretation, I just wish he'd have answered the questions straightforwardly, since to me, and plenty of other fans, it does come across as evasive and it tarnishes the opportunity to celebrate the representation that we are actually getting, if that makes sense. Again, the crucial thing is getting the book but if you're not celebrating it, you're just leaving it to speak for itself, it's gonna get lost. When the book is cancelled due to low sales, it sucks to see LGBT fans to discover it late having not been aware, when they might have been if there was buzz about the awesome space lesbians.

I missed off Wiccan and Hulkling in my previous post, but as I've said recently, it's not like there are so many LGBT characters appearing in current Marvel books at the moment, and they are always as part of teams now that Angela's series has ended. Obviously, I'm glad we have what we have, but I just wanted to point it out, is all. I am obviously thrilled that there are so many PoCs in the teaser image too!

Since you asked, my All-New, All-LGBT Avengers:
Wiccan
Hulkling
Karolina Dean
America Chavez
Phyla-Vell
Moondragon
POD
Valkyrie

I miss Ren Kimura, but I wanted to keep it to non X-Men or Inhuman characters. Annabelle Riggs could hang out in a HQ-based role though.

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 30, 2016

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

SilverSupernova posted:

Moondragon is bisexual. She can't be on the All-Gay team.

Dang, I didn't know that. I'll edit my post since Valkyrie is bisexual too anyway.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I wish they could commit properly to a new generation for once. It's me, I'm the world's only Surge fan.

Diet Poison posted:

Also WH you can't be the world's only Surge fan; I'm the world's only Surge fan.

Pfft, I've watched Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers which includes her multi-episode arc where she is nothing like she is in the comics. Get on my level. :black101:

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

JoshTheStampede posted:

In the beginning of this weeks Xplain the Xmen, Miles mentions how he wishes Surge, Rockslide, Mercury, and the chars from that era of New X-men were around more now and I said "YES" out loud on the train.

I'm rewatching Wolverine and the X-Men and the snippets of the Academy X kids are just so tantalising. Dust and Mercury actually do get some small moments since Kyle & Yost were writers on the show (Kyle as the main writer).

Surge showed up recently in Extraordinary X-Men I believe, as a background character? Also, Hellion had M-Pox issues outside New Attilan and Pixie was in a splash page of Civil War II when they're fighting the Celestial. But really, it's just Anole representing them Post-SW if I'm not missing anyone?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The talk about Runaways makes me sad that Karolina isn't appearing in anything. She'd be perfect for the Champions since she'd be all about superteens being a force for good.

Actually, with Hellcat, Mockingbird, Howard the Duck and Squirrel Girl all having excellent books, is there anyone else you guys think should finally get the ongoing they deserve? Apart from Surge of course, possibly in a mentoring role to whatever the current crop of X-Kids is.

Black Cat, Queen of Something (Crime?), with Titania in her employ also getting focus?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/752939781684797440

Oh, Hickman. :allears:

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

While the current Guardians book isn't great, I did love the most recent issues interactions between Angela and Kitty, especially the panel where Angela is standing there with the severed Badoon head and Kitty is trying not to puke.

GotG has generally fun interactions with the team, but it's rarely delivered satisfying plots for me - this was one of the better resolutions, just by virtue of me liking Bendis' patter between fun characters. On the flip side, Peter elbow dropping the same creatures that gave Gamora huge trouble in Vol. 1 #15 & 16, and then her giving Peter poo poo for being captured by the Badoon is pretty weak. Sure, she got taken down by a bounty hunter rather than the Badoon themselves, but it's much of a muchness and it's pretty much the same plot being rehashed with Peter this time.
And it still stands out to me as one of Bendis' better GotG arcs.

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 16, 2016

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

I'm reading Agents of Atlas which is excellent, a wonderful blend of 50s B-movies tropes, action and intrigue, but the end of X-Men vs Agents of Atlas with Aphrodite wanting vengeance on Venus the Siren has me wondering if I should read Incredible Hercules next? The reason I ask is that I was unsure of whether reading all of Pak & Van Lente's Incredible Hercules run is fine on it's own, or if I should start from an earlier point for the full effect?
I intended to read Thunderbolts from the start next, but if Incredible Hercules stands up on its own I might slot that in first since I've enjoyed Agents of Atlas so much, whereas if it would be better to start from Planet Hulk (or earlier? I do intend to read some Hulk eventually and I think it all links together right?) I'll hold off for now.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Just further to the Shulkie-isn't-gonna-die obviousness, she's gonna feature in The Fallen:

quote:

"The Hulk family -- including Amadeus, Rick, Jen, Skaar, Betty, Ross, and the Warbound -- are the folks who knew Banner the best -- and each will respond to his death in his or her own way," Pak said of "The Fallen." "And yes, they're a family, so we'll see them grapple with all of this together, for better or for worse."

Hard to respond to the death of your cousin if you're non-responsive! Unless her way is by continuing to be comatose I suppose.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/civil-war-ii-the-fallen-the-accused-covers-creative-teams-unveiled

This reminds me though, the US Avengers cover reveal really undercut the tension of Toni and POD getting attacked by The Maker and his Revengers, since we know they'll be in the next team. (How dare you interrupt the lovely gay moment Maker! :argh: )

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Maxwell Adams posted:

For god's sake, can we get a better outfit for Brashear? Someone get him the message that an armored neck ruff on a speed suit isn't stylish, and never has been. America over there is completely outclassing him with her 'normal hat and jacket' ensemble.

Not until the travesty that is Misty Knight's current costume is sorted first. :colbert: Whenever it shows up I'm just astonished that it's still a costume for an ex-cop in 2016.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

I know it's just for drama, but I was disappointed that Jess flies off the handle at the end when Carol herself sent Jess to check out the predictions, so it's pretty unlikely that she would murder Bruce Banner before she's got the evidence Ulysses is totally right (in this series at least. *Cough* http://io9.gizmodo.com/civil-war-ii-is-ruining-captain-marvel-1785466259), unless she had a drat good reason. That's not even counting the fact that Carol doesn't do it or sanction it so it's pretty crappy for a best friend to assume the worst. To be fair to Hopeless, he does clearly show that Jess is concerned that Carol will be a dog with a bone on this, but she still doesn't give her a chance to explain herself.

The indestructible old-school Nokia phone (that works in space) is still great though, and maybe next issue will be Carol and Jess having a nice and calm chat while the baby sleeps.

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 19, 2016

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

To me, the issue showed that Jessica is perfectly aware that there are logical, sensible reasons why Carol is doing what she's doing; Jess knows that Ulysses' visions work, she knows why Carol is using those visions like this, she knows all the arguments backing Carol's agenda...heck, the reason she was calling was to concede those points to Carol.

The problem is that it doesn't matter. The logic behind the visions can be as airtight and as sensible as possible, and using the visions in this way is still going to cause problems...as Jessica says, the idea of "preemptive justice" is just inherently a big problematic powder keg no matter how solid your justifications are or how much you double-check the math. So in a way, it doesn't matter how Carol defends herself. It doesn't matter how she explains the situation because all the sensible explanations aren't going to undo the shitshow that went down.

On top of which, it's not just Banner getting killed that would be throwing Jessica's world out of loop, but the fact that Hawkeye -- who she has an intense history with -- is the one who did it.

It's interesting you brought up Scarlet Witch #9, as that could be a fantastic way to handle for a Jess/Carol confrontation (with maybe Jess surprising Carol and knocking her on her butt (without going OTT, maybe just a low-level Venom Blast and stomping out with a pithy line at the end) and less anger/simmering resentment), so hopefully that's closer to what we get rather than just punching and yelling. There aren't so many fun female friendships in superhero comics that I want them to have even a rough patch, especially with Shulkie out of action currently.

However, based on how CWII has been going once it got past Tony's flying off the handle to the significant other of the man who died, Carol's gonna get even more stink on her. It's just a such a joyless slog of an event.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Blind Azathoth posted:

Anyway, they should've just called her She-Iron Man.

Lady Iron-Man, unless we're not learning the lessons of the trailblazer that was Lady Stilt-Man. :colbert:

I like Ironheart, and I just hope RiRi gets a decent shot to make it, which Marvel are usually pretty good at, being fair (and Bendis writing her doesn't hurt in terms of potential impact). This is an interesting case when you consider that Odinson is back properly post-SW, Steve's back as Captain America & Old Man Logan is running around etc alongside the legacy heroes (all back for various reasons, but obviously there is a concern mentioned previously that the more diverse legacy characters frequently have a 'classic' counterpart and are overshadowed), but for RiRi there's Dr. Doom in the armour as Iron Man, which is obviously still a significant shift, but once again putting a more 'established' (in a non Iron Man sense) character in the mantle in a way that you could consider them primary, though RiRi is getting the headlines because she's a wonderful STEAM example.
So yeah, it's an interesting case to think about in terms of Marvel's continuing efforts for greater diversity and finding new comics audiences. Finally, if she was LGBTQ then that would be a big thing to reveal in an issue as a surprise on top of all this, but that's a different kettle of fish regarding Marvel's previous track record of marketing LGBTQ characters so I'll stop there since I don't want to derail beyond positing that RiRi will almost certainly be a fascinating character in how she fares.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

New Avengers was so good, Al Ewing continues to be the best. The flashbacks to previous issues with added subtitles were amazing, Warlock was spectacular, and Songbird is back in the fold again! It will be nice to see more of Aikku, at least, and I'm so excited for her and Toni together. Glad to see Roberto was darker-skinned too.

BrianWilly posted:

Captain Marvel #8 probably has the best conversation and discussion of Civil War II's various conflicts and issues of anything released thus far. It's certainly got the best argument for Carol's side, and she's characterized amazingly well here. Much better than the stubborn drat-the-torpedoes meathead that's been appearing in Bendis' main series.

Agree with this and hooray for Hellcat and Squirrel Girl, as always.

HydraCap was awful, because killing the goddamn Super-Apes is the worst. It just bummed me out and the whole issue was going for shock value and ended up lovely.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

I really want a Songbird solo series. I don't exactly know what it would entail but I've almost finished reading through Thunderbolts (and I'm loving Ewing's New Avengers) and I really, really like Melissa. Maybe she'll join another Avengers team if she's not going to be in US Avengers? Or just go solo hero on her own for the first time?
I hope she doesn't end up in the current Thunderbolts run though. It's so boring, shows no sign of there being any interesting relationships continuing/developing and the art is really bad. It looks half finished most of the time and is super bland with drab backgrounds and uninspired action. The colourist is trying to bring that classic late 90s T-Bolts feel, but it can't save the the linework.

EDIT: I'm thinking that Joelle Jones paired with Kelly Thompson or Marjorie Liu would be perfect.

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 2, 2016

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Have you read Avengers Forever? A lot of people dislike it because it's really, really continuity-heavy, but Songbird is a main character in it; probably her most important appearance outside of Thunderbolts.

I've heard of it and knew she was in it, but Thunderbolts is basically the earliest series I've read so I might struggle if it's based on 90s Avengers happenings since the earliest series I've read off the top of my head are Daredevil from Smith/Quesada onward, Ultimate Spider-Man (which doesn't even apply to 616!) and Runaways. I basically started with Marvel from around Civil War since I'm not so into older superhero comics generally.
I've picked up a lot of comics history reading CSBG articles on CBR and other forms of osmosis but 90s Avengers is probably my weakest area of Marvel history, thinking about it.

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 2, 2016

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Avengers Forever explores pretty much their entire history from the 1960s onward, but the 1990s do play a fairly significant role because part of what Busiek was doing with the book was untangling some of the knots Avengers continuity had tied itself up in, and many of those came from the Bob Harras era in the 1990s. I can definitely understand why some readers really dislike it.

Nonetheless, I read it with almost zero knowledge of Avengers history, and I enjoyed it well enough. Maybe that's because I read it when I was just getting into superhero comics so I'd take what I could get.

Have you read New Thunderbolts?

I'm on issue #163 of Volume One, and I intend to work my way through the rest of T-Bolts/Dark Avengers/Now! T-Bolts until I'm caught up to the present volume. I've basically just finished up reading some extra titles in Dark Reign/Siege, though I'd read a fair bit of both beforehand following other series like Hickman's FF and whatnot. The first volume of Thunderbolts is such a fascinating read with so much character/team development alongside the sheer amount of (often gloriously bonkers) plot threads stuffed into each issue before evolving to tie into more events and decompress a lot from Busiek's and Nicieza's work. This is not to say that what comes later is necessarily inferior however (Fightbolts notwithstanding): Ellis' 12 issues were sublime, though Gage* followed them up brilliantly and I'm enjoying it currently with Luke Cage leading the team.

Thanks for the info about Avengers Forever, I didn't realise Songbird played a significant role in it, so I might check it out when I'm done with this or if I see it on sale.

*Christos Gage is really, really good and filling in for/following good writers and keeping the quality going I've noticed.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I like how Gwenpoole is in the audiance in X-men 92 Lilapalooza, at least I assume the blond girl with pink tips is.

That's a crowd of Marvel editors, so I presume that it's Heather Antos who has cosplayed as Gwenpool. Jordan D. White is really racking up the appearances in comics! It must be the moustache.

Marvel Tsum Tsum continued to be lovely this week. It really is just adorable little Marvel blobs in the Marvel universe, but it has the feel of an 80s adventure movie with Looter and the kids.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Thundra is awesome. I recently read the Lady Liberators She-Hulk issues and she's just so much fun in them. She's cool in Hyperion's solo too after she shows up; hopefully she'll start shining a bit more in Squadron Supreme.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

X-Men 92 is ending gently caress THIS COMPANY

Raaaaaaaaaaage! :argh:

I liked the writers a lot on this (big fan of Sims' X-Men recaps of course) and on their Damage Control story in CWII - Choosing Sides but I will be so pissed if Alti Firmansyah isn't immediately put onto another awesome Marvel project. I love her X-Men '92 art and her work on Star-Lord and Kitty Pryde was phenomenal. '92 was so perfect for her style though, dang. :(

Just put her on another fun X-Men book post IvX or even before then, I don't care. Or the next GotG volume.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

I loved Songbird and Centurius showing up in Power Man and Iron Fist. :3: Nice to see this book drawing from that Luke Cage era, and I don't want Songbird to disappear when Ewing's New Avengers run ends so I want her popping up as much as possible to help her on her way to the solo series I want.

IIRC, she's on a forthcoming Thunderbolts cover for Marvel Now?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

I'm expecting the Skyspears to play some sort of role in the IvX stuff. They'll probably suck up the Terrigen, do some science with an energy net etc or turn into giant fans and send it into space or... whatever the plot demands, basically.

Alternatively:

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Resetting Jessica to zero is not the only way to write a solo comic about her :argh:

e: though the implication that randos from other universes got plopped into 616 when Franklin rebuilt the universe was both amusing and horrifying.

Agree on the second point, and yeah, it was so weird reading Jessica Jones because on the one hand it was like Alias and therefore it was intriguing, darkly amusing and typical Jess. On the other hand, this was a nasty swerve for the first issue for the people who have enjoyed Jess' development, and so soon after Luke and Jess' lovely appearance in Spider-Man it was real tonal whiplash. Not feeling the other superheroes actions within this first issue either, and I hope it's not dragged out too much.
I just feel that I would prefer to see Jessica Jones at work again but with a husband and a baby (since she clearly is working again as seen in Spider-Man.). Could be funny, and could be an interesting exploration of 'normalcy' when you've been through what she has but nope, (Is 'forced' fair?) drama. I'll hold judgement until more is revealed, but it really bummed me out despite being a good issue in isolation as they're such a wonderful couple.

I liked Invincible Iron Man as a character piece, but I find it weird that Carol and Tony can talk that way to each other and then go back to punching but whatever. Well, actually she's apparently a monster now so I guess that explains it.

Great stuff this week with All-New Wolverine, Amazing Spider-Man and 2099 though, plus Champions was a wonderful source of joy compared to CWII.

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 5, 2016

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah Death of X was.......clunky. So like, Iceman and Magik were apparently exposed to the mist, but we know they've been completely fine for months at this point and this issue just gives a handwavey "it just affects different mutants differently" handwave. And they verbally say that Goldballs is sick from the exposure, except at literally no point in the issue do we see Goldballs being sick, and we know that he's also fine because he's been appearing in Spider-Man. Showing that the sickness is so random and arbitrary even among people who have been exposed, and then having Scott give this lame WE'RE AT WAAAR speech anyway?...just felt clunky and forced.

As for Madrox, though, I give it three years before someone reveals that this one wasn't the original. It's just way too easy to write a way out of this one.

I just spent the whole time wondering why no one ever put on a hazmat suit or at least a rebreather on Muir Island. When investigating a strange gas, and certainly when you start to feel ill from it, you should probably sort yourself out (which the X-Men surely have on the Blackbird), and surely somewhere on Muir Island, at a research facility, there would have been a sealed room or hazmat suits etc for Madrox. Madrox has the easy out, but he was a weird choice after his lovely ending to X-Factor. I don't have a good gauge on his popularity, but unless they solely wanted the easy out (which has been done, as noted), surely there are more appropriate mutants to kill for shock value?

The Inhumans' unceasing grins were incredibly unsettling though. I don't think that's what the artist was going for, but it was very sinister a probably is a stronger reason for 'War were declared' than Scott's reasoning.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

I can't remember the chronology of the Red Wolf series announcement vs when the creative team was announced, but Marvel have put a creator who people do not want to support onto a book with a 'diverse' character before, so that probably accounts for some wariness, alongside the usual issues with communication from Marvel (read: Axel Alonso the Korean guy by marriage who is most assuredly not a SJW*) re: Hercules, Iceman's coming out and Angela fairly recently for a character who's especially important to LGBTQ and/or Latina people.

* Full quote in this Twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/abrahamjoseph/status/784420753361997824

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Genuinely asking: do people reckon the problem with the X-Men is that most writers can't resist the chance to write the classic characters (O5 or Giant-Size team members etc) for the main, direction setting, X-books? Since I've been into comics writers seem to be excited about their X-teams in interviews, but is there a fan pressure or editorial edict possibly? Gillen (Hope and the Lights), Kyle/Yost (Academy X), David (X-Factor) Gage (X-Men Legacy turned into a Rogue/Gambit/Rachel/Frenzy book after Xavier), Liu (X-23 and her team book), Wood (all lady team) and Spurrier (Science Club) are the only writers who come to mind who have had the opportunity (or pushed) to write newer or more obscure characters in the last 10 years or so*, and the New Mutants (original flavour) haven't featured much since their last series ended.

*This seems like a lot more now that I've written them all out than I thought, but they are all side books rather than the main X-books, so maybe it's just tiresome having no real shift post Secret Wars from the Scott and Logan Utopia/X-Tinction stuff post House of M since it's now just Storm going on about the T-Mist occasionally. Even Bunn's team is mostly the Magneto vs Mist show, though Psylocke is prominent to be fair and Monet and Sabretooth feature, but the T-Mist is terribly bland at this point already.

Basically, are we ever gonna get either of the New Mutants generations actually getting team and/or solo books beyond 'Look! It's Anole and some Morrison-era characters! Y'know, the ones he has no interesting history with and will not get the page time to create them!'?

I already miss X-Men '92 and it's still coming out. At least All-New Wolverine is still lighting the way... perhaps the real issue is that Extraordinary X-Men is disappointing, OML is just rehashing stuff now and that All-New is incredibly uneven while Uncanny is just... fine? It's stepped up recently, but that's because Exodus is fabulous and the Archangel stuff beforehand was overwrought in my opinion.

Sorry for the rambling thoughts, this was kinda hard to pin down as I mainlined the X-books, minus Logan's solo books, last year from Messiah CompleX onwards so my perceptions of X-books is rather compressed.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

I just realised that I completely forgot about Bendis' run too, and he obviously created newer characters. I think a distillation of my above ramblings are that I am ready for a fresh start for the X-Men (even if this is going back to a mansion and students like X-Men '92 and not new) after the coming miniseries, while being aware that I have binged a lot of X-Men stuff recently so that my perception might be different to that of long-time readers.

I was also going to say that it would nice to have the mutant-wide stakes be lower for a while, but asking for breathing room between events for mainline Marvel books at the moment is a big ask.

Rochallor posted:

Wolverine and the X-Men was basically this up to Secret Wars or so, but even then, the adults were still a big focus (I'd bet, off the top of my head, that Glob Herman's never made the Team Members section on the recap page, for example).

All-New is really the perfect place to have a junior team, too, with the whole them being on a road trip thing. It's just that it's being crowded by the original five. Kick Angel and Beast out of there, keep Cyclops, Evan, and Idie, and throw in some of the Lights or the New X-Men characters (or Hope! What the hell has she been doing since being a disembodied voice in X-Force?!).

Also, Rockslide belongs on a team. It doesn't matter if he's still a teenager, he's basically immortal anyway. I'll settle for a Rockslide solo series, though.

poo poo, I forgot Aaron too, though you're right that the adults were a big focus. Totally agree on your other points too, I really liked Hope and the Lights and Rockslide is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Is this in line with Omega Men with regards to a potential series resurrection? (Or am I comparing Marvel apples to DC oranges?)

Also, is it really ever a good idea cancelling a series before the first trade is on sale in this climate? As far as we could ever know without complete sales data of course, but I'm wondering if anyone with a better understanding of the market has any insight or theories. Would the Marvel Now! relaunch timing have impacted Mockingbird? (i.e replace it with something they believe would sell more?)

• Locked thread