Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Mover posted:

I feel like they should just make Magneto have superhuman longevity as part of his mutant powers. Secondary mutation or whatever. Let's them ignore the Magneto-baby and such and also plays up his distance from humanity/ability to convince himself that he understands how history moves and repeats itself, however true that might be.

I thought magnetism already gave him that?

I also know in the cartoon, falling from orbit let Earth's magnetic field recharge him and make him super healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

TwoPair posted:

Also it raises like a bunch of questions about Secret Wars that I'm like 90% sure Bendis doesn't actually know the answers to. I guess Miles knows his whole universe is gone? Even though nobody else seems to know this, including other carryovers from Ultimate? So does he remember that his mom died and is now back?

I haven't read Spider-Man in a long time, and Bendis isn't super strict on continuity anyways. But I remember Miles having that awesome cheeseburger scene with Molecule Man, so it would make sense for him to know things about before Secret Wars.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Inverted Tony and old Steve died at the end of Avengers/ beginning of Secret Wars.

Then there was a small reset to 1 year ago. I suppose the writers really wanted to bring back original Tony but keep around old Steve. It makes sense because then Marvel got to publish Captain America: Sam Wilson and Captain America: Steve Rogers concurrently.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Alls i know is that the prediction people made since like a month before this even started will be true. Hydra cap will slowly break down from being too evil and good cap's spirit will take over to redeem him. Like exactly what Rick Jones said in his video message.

It's just funny how simultaneously boring and edgy this is being.

Sidenote: I think hydra punisher wasn't talking about bringing his family back, but bringing back all the heroes that hydra killed. Like they get to take over the world, kill heroes, then use the cosmic cube to resurrect them so it's like hydra did nothing wrong. Again it's dumb and boring, but it at least gets halfway to interesting.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

The thread title is a wasp quote. I don't know the sales but the book was wonderful enough that I expected at least 12 issues.

How will the trade even be collected? Will it really get an extra thick paperback?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Happy fantastic 400 pages, you guys!

With all this sales talk, I've had a burning question about why comic book shops exist. Like, none of the ones I've gone to have sold regular books or coffee or anything that would naturally bring in the casuals.

Larger bookstores I've been to have a pretty sizable and popular section for manga volumes, and another for comic trades, but of course I won't see floppies for sale there.

It just doesn't make sense to me that a comic book shop isn't naturally just a corner of a regular bookstore. Is it a hatred of filthy casuals and fake geeks?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

There's fairly successful comic/coffee shop not too far from me in East End Toronto
http://www.thesidekickcomics.com/

The Silver Snail downtown has the Black Canary coffee shop as well, but I've heard that its kind of a drain on the store.

That's first one looks nice and very inviting. I have one of those Barnes and Noble's with a Starbucks attached and they look like they have a similar atmosphere, sans the board games.

X-O posted:

The probation button is for people that break rules or become an overwhelming nuisance. It's not to swat away anything I don't personally like. Unless it's done in a teasing way with someone I have a previous history with as a joke.

That's doesn't answer the car battery question.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Wanderer posted:

They used it to get Sam's message past the shield and into the Darkforce dome, didn't they? I thought that was the whole point: to get around the barriers via a message that had secretly always been there.

Yup, the point was to have everyone use their best moves at the same time. The cosmic cube, Strange's spell, Hill's assassination, Quasar's blast, and Rocket's bomb. 3/5 of those plans failed.

What I don't get is how captain america Sam Wilson is still OK after getting shot. Did the cube heal him? Did he just decide to walk fly it off?

Also will the dumb kobik stuff get an even mildly satisfying conclusion? My guess is it'll be lame but not offensive, a solid C- in storytelling.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I love British talk as much as the next comic book reader, but seriously is Phobos back? Or does Ares explain what's up?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Secret Empires is like if you were writing your first comic and just barfing all of your ideas out at once. It's dumb and badly paced and only a third of it makes sense. But I wouldn't call it terrible, it will have the obvious and boring and happy ending.

I started Cosmic Marvel by reading Annihilation and that's the start I recommend for everyone. There's like 8 years of follow up stories and most of them are enjoyable. Nova is still one of my all-time favorites because of it.

Ultimates 2 was amazing:swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:. How many books does Ewing get to juggle right now? I know about Black Bolt and USAvengers.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I always got the impression that captain marvel had terrible sales but marvel looked favorably at the fan mail and the number of convention cosplayers. Lots of really happy little girls. Is that at all accurate?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Isn't he popular for the same reason ghost rider is popular? You can pretend he's a good guy because he's a demon killing other demons?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

David D. Davidson posted:

Yeah The Punisher is just a bad guy who kills other bad guys. Ghost Rider is just Metal as gently caress.

Psh just give pubisher a sniper rifle and have him stand on a skyscraper gargoyle and you attract the exact same demo

Edit: the EXACT same demo

Billzasilver fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 13, 2017

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I love that Secret Wars is just a consistently meaningless term made by putting the two most popular words for twelve-year-old boys together. No real hiding, and most fights are just slightly larger than average. Or powerful people talking. Even if there is a war, it's mostly off panel.

BTW the fallout for Secret War was Nick Fury going in to hiding, which made his job in Secret Invasion more complicated.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Archyduke posted:

I guess technically but wasn't a huge chunk of the lead-in to Secret Wars about the Illuminati becoming increasingly more and more morally compromised, and wasn't, like, the last page before reality was remade Captain America and Iron Man murdering each other?

It's been awhile but I feel like your description more accurately describes Infinity-- it's been awhile but I recall it being a pretty unambiguous war against unambiguously bad bad guys, without a ton of conflicts among the superheroes themselves.

All the super heroes teamed up at the end of both Avengers and New Avengers, except Steve and Tony. Hell, even Thanos and Mr. Sinister pitched in to fight Doom at the very end.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

There's a market for people who love to read digital books.

And another market for people who hate comic book stores.

Like you could put the books on a 2-3 week delay if you're worried so much, but there's definitely a lot of potential profit in doing the online thing.

gently caress, even give people an Amazon-integrated wishlist for the trades of what they're currently reading.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Wakanda might be weird, but Atlantis has always been worse.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

So uh, where would I follow up on the Avengers 1000000 BC stuff? In Thor and Doctor Strange?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

It's not like Logan is a real name either

Old Man James

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Old Man Howlett

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Jesus loving Christ, Rocket #6 really got to me.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

TwoPair posted:

Well the first storyline of ASM post-Secret Wars ended with Peter shoving Zodiac through some portal to the future so I guess this is when he comes out.

Makes sense, I couldn't afford to keep reading after that, but zodiac discovered 1 year of top secret information about hydra and Osborne and all kinds of things. So spiders sent him 1 year into the future so that knowledge would be useless.

Except having complete knowledge of the most important events in the past year is pretty darn major. He should be aware of all secrets involving civil war 2 and secret empire and legacy/generations.

Edit: that weird m logo is the zodiac for...Scorpio?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

If I was a reviewer, I'd give Death of Wolverine a strong B+. It's nice and covers a lot of the character history in just 4 issues.

I do wonder why original Wolverine is coming back already. Was Old Man Logan less popular than expected?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Horrible Taste posted:

Nope, just like nobody has mentioned Ian Rogers since Remender left.

I feel like you could make a really good super team from all these forgotten b-listers.

Hell, that's what Secret Warriors was when Bendis and Hickman were still in their prime.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

The first half of original sin was way better than the second half

I think it's all the parts involving nick fury that dragged it down

Edit: I still really miss old nick fury. I wish the movies would do what the Avengers assemble cartoon did, bring back the entire character in WW2 and just rename him Joseph Fury

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Dang, I can't imagine Disney lawyers having that anything less than 100% locked up.

How many issues did they manage to reprint so far?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

They did get to the Gaiman stuff, and reprinted up to #22 of the original run, so there's still two original issues they haven't reprinted, plus #25 that was never printed during the original run.

And how can anyone hate Steve Gerber wtf?

Wait what

So they printed 1-22 and 25?

What the hell

Does gaiman have an opinion on this? Does he have a bunch of material ready to go or is he busy with American gods right now

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Oh my god, spectacular spiderman was actually spectacular.

Jonah hasn't been this interesting since...maybe when his father married aunt may? Or when ultimate Jonah had to support miles morales?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Non violence is only good if you actually have zero chance of winning a violent fight. That's what gandhi did, but of course the message got twisted into always doing non violence at all times just because.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

People who idolize Malcolm X don't enjoy the genocidal supervillain being compared to him.

Lots of people took magneto' side after the First Class movie, and don't consider him a villain at all.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Did they ever retcon nick fury meeting Mr. Fantastic in WW2?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Bendis putting out like 6 marvel books right now and I only like Ironheart

Infamous doctor doom was OK I guess, I give it a B-

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

For the record, I think Duggan is the best writer at marvel right now, and Ewing is the second best

After that...I suppose I still have a soft spot for Pak

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Best costumes:

X-clops
Yellow and tan wolverine
Any storm with a Mohawk
Jean Grey wearing something green (so what's already taken by hope summers)
Nightcrawler with swords
Colossus with mustache

I really like when Adam warlock came back right before becoming a living tribunal. Thanos says "our Adam warlock was a dandy, he had 20 different costumes"

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Yes. The X crossed the center of his face, but that left his actual eyes in the black parts. It was confusing and I just assume the entire mask is see through like panty hose

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

wiegieman posted:

Right now he's lost the title to Loki.

1. What the loving hell
2. Was the story good and worth checking out?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Oh man, I finally remembered who Sunfire is. He's on Seanbaby's list of ridiculously racist comic book characters. Japanese. Has nuclear powers.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Is gotg also tying in to the Thanos comic?

I don't know where the Thanos comic is going, but I assumed Avengers 1 000 000 BC just because a ghost rider was present.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I've been enjoying Thanos and black Panther too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Aphrodite posted:

They did, yes.

Mutants are in the comics currently and always have been though. They were for a while not getting merchandise or promotion, but that hasn’t been the case for a couple of years now.

One of the more convincing rumors I saw was that Marvel was trying to downplay mutants, but wanted to absolutely gut fantastic four. The reason being the fantastic four movies were extremely embarrassing to the entire industry.

Hopefully that's over now. Or they'll hire writers to end it now, so new books will be out in..... maybe half a year?

• Locked thread