Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pictured: Garth Ennis in 20 years:

:D
Nobody's that bad. Except his son, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

All Arcade stories are bad Arcade stories.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Those errors happen sometimes.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Roth posted:

I don't get why Squirrel Girl causes so much drama with people. Like, I don't find it funny, and think the art is hideous looking, but it's really inoffensive to me.
If everyone on the Internet was like you, the world would be a better place.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Whats the event after cw2
The Whitewashing of Roberto Da Costa

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Black Bolt released the terrigen mist, but he didn't know it would kill mutants at the time because previously it never seemed to have any effect. Although Quicksilver is no longer a mutant so that's probably one reason why.

I've just remembered that Son of M was kind of a good mini, but had a pretty bad ending iirc.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

I just finished Secret War, and I'm surprised that more people don't talk about that event. It's a really good, well-crafted crossover event with an interesting central conceit that's executed really well. Just solid all around.
I haven't read it since it was originally published, and a lot of it was delayed which kind of killed the pacing of it. I should probably re-read it, but I remember it only being "ok", but with stellar Dell'otto art.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Ironically nobody is thinking "America #1" right now.

(I'm totally down for that book though, depending on the creative team).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It's kind of strange and cool to see people here talk about my LCS (Big Bang Comics). Yeah, their sales tweets are a really good look into the industry, but keep in mind that it doesn't necessarily represent how a book will do overall. It's very anecdotal. However, it is a popular store and as far as I'm aware it has a fairly representative customer base. However, because they do a lot of events and signings, you might find that certain creators sell a lot there.

Also Marvel has been pulling that variant stuff (order above this threshold for Book A to get a special variant for Completely Unrelated Book B) for years to boost sales on certain books.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Very few Marvel titles have digital sales that are higher than their physical sales. And they are also very hesitant to launch major new books as digital only since physical copies make up so much of the comics sales pie.
I guess in a way it's a little bit like the move from newsstands to the Direct Market. Although in this case I do feel the publishers aren't wanting to screw over retailers.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Is Unworthy Thor going to actually reveal what made Thor Odinson unworthy?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

He's left it so long at this point that he'd be better off leaving it dangling and for nobody to ever mention it again.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Onmi posted:

It's one of those things you kind of can't never mention. I mean... you can, but then you either have to retire the character (HA!) or hope no one ever asks what the gently caress about the elephant drilling a plot hole in the room. Well... I mean you can reset the universe. But that's cheating, you can't just reset the universe when you write yourself into a corner.
Sure you can. Just never resolve it and leave the book when you've finished your run. Dangling plot threads are nothing new to comic books. Someone would maybe pick it up 10 or 20 years later.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

One of the first writers I ever took notice of was Daniel Way, because I read about 5 issues of his Venom run back in the early 2000s and vowed never to read anything by him ever again.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I don't think he was a jock but he was good at gymnastics.

He was interested in science which in the 60s meant he was excluded from being a jock.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Nobby posted:

this one's a mentally unstable bear with low self-esteem
Tell me more...

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I like the team in X-Men Gold but those creative teams are kind of terrible (well, the writers anyway), and I just have no interest in the time displaced X-Men.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Rachael has had her own beef with Scott since Jean died (actually died, I mean).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

"I wish there were more diverse creators working on characters from those same diverse backgrounds" does not mean "White people shouldn't be working on characters who are POC/LGBTQ".

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Only if you read it wrong.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Maxwell Adams posted:

I believe that skin color has nothing to do with writing talent.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Like a lawyer? Yeah, I guess.

Anyway, I guess it's better to try and fail than not try at all. I like it when creators attempt things?

Jesus Christ

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

I've written about this at length but the X-Men (and to a large degree the Inhumans) work just fine on a ground level as an allegory for discrimination or prejudice or othering or whatever you want. People not wanting a mutant kid in their child's class, treating co-workers differently upon discovering they're Inhuman, coming out to your parents or peers as ________, all of those work just fine.

When they start doing big societal sweeping stories about MUTANTS AS A PEOPLE or MUTANTS AS A CULTURE or whatever is where it largely falls apart. Inhumans I guess at least have a bloodline, but mutants are just random instances within the whole of humanity. They don't really have a shared history (beyond dressing up and fighting each other), there's not much of a shared experience or need for community the way there would be with people who are LGBTQ or with a real-world unusual genetic trait. LGBTQ people need to find other people like them to find romantic love which is a vital part of humanity. People who are blind/deaf/exceptionally tall/who have very curly hair at least can bond over how they deal with being different than people who can see or hear or are of average height or have straight hair.

Other than like being ready to fight people, if there was a guy with wings in the real world and also a guy who can make things explode with their mind, what's their common culture or experience? If a lady can turn herself into water and she meets someone who can make golden balls, why should they go "oh sweet, we are of one people! And I definitely want more people who can do random things that are weird, we definitely need to make sure this propagates! Even if it puts the entire planet at risk, imagine the tragedy of some poor kid growing up and never having the chance to set people's blood on fire!"

Which considering half of the past decade+ worth of stories about both seem to be about how WE MUST PERPETUATE OUR RACE is kind of dicey.
I don't really agree with this, LGBTQ people don't only seek romantic love (or sex) from the community. Sometimes it's just about meeting people with shared or similar experiences. On that level, the whole "Mutants as a culture" thing does work as a real-life allegory.

You have to take into account that in the world of comics you can have Sam Wilson standing next to Warren Worthington, one of them will be discriminated against for having wings while the other won't. On the surface it's something which doesn't make sense in a real world context (if you had 2 guys with wings the torches and pitchforks would be out before you could say "What in the Sam Hill?"), but to me that's kind of the point - minorities do experience this on a daily basis because of the colour of their skin or sexuality or gender or religion or even their name. Even in real life, prejudice can't really be explained or rationalised very easily.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 1, 2016

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Definitely a sure-fire way to reinvigorate the X-Men is to launch about a million books about them

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

rantmo posted:

Flying Cake should be the New Avengers Annual.
Maybe they're holding out for USAvengers #0

Or a spin-off mini-series/Infinite comic.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I feel like it's maybe "too soon" to have a modern iconic cover. There are lots of covers from the past 10 or 15 years which are quite memorable (to me), but for it to be considered iconic I think it needs to have been absorbed into the consciousness of the fanbase.

It might be something thread-worthy, though!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

X-O posted:

Taylor is continuing on All New Wolverine, to nobody's surprise. Leonard Kirk is the new artist.

Does anyone know what this is homaging? I thought it was Uncanny X-Men #173 but that was Paul Smith, not Art Adams. Is it something more recent?

e: Possibly this:

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 13, 2016

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Bloody hell. I love Adams but maybe he should draw something else. :colbert:

At least I wasn't totally off about the Uncanny #173 vibes.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Decius posted:

The whole Terrigen mist thing is a joke. Would the US government and military really stand idly by while a cloud ravages through the land killing people (even if "only Mutants")?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_policy_of_the_Ronald_Reagan_administration#Response_to_AIDS

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

There's also SHOCKEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR from the 90s Spider-Man animated series.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

First issue of the new Hawkeye was quite good, I loved the art and the story set things up quite well. Plenty of humour in it, and quite a good hook to kick off the series with. I'm guessing that the computer guy who helps her out will become part of her supporting cast. And that the girl she's helping won't. :ohdear: I'd not written anything by Thompson before but this was was definitely enjoyable and fun, without being "haha how random!!!"

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I think there's a better than average chance that IT kid is the villain, honestly.
Oh, actually, yeah that's a point. I was thinking that at the time because he seemed to be acting a bit shady.

That's what I get for posting about it 2-3 days after reading it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

In the Wood series
I think you mean Brian Reed, not Wood.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Is Black Widow ending when Waid/Samnee finish next month? Has it been cancelled or what?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Maxwell Adams posted:

I dunno, I've been annoyed with his design from the start. They established way back in the day that Apocalypse didn't actually that grin on his face, and what we thought was his body was actually a robot suit being worn by a withered old guy inside it.

Whoa, what is that from?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

*This* is the era you're longing for:

To be fair, the stories in each of the books are completely separate. I think the only exception really is the Thor issue crosses over with X-Factor because he rescues Angel. Yeah, there's a little moment at the end of X-Men #212 I think where the tunnels get cleansed by fire, and the X-Men were wondering what the heck, while keen readers of Thor knew that it was he who did it. If you were only reading X-Men though, their full story is in their book.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Rochallor posted:

What's with the Power Pack citation? Was it not available as a mail-order subscription, like as a sop to brick-and-mortar stores or something?
Power Pack was one of the books in the 1980s which was only available through the Direct Market, i.e. you couldn't get it from a newsstand or a non-specialty shop.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Greg Horn-y

He also did She-Hulk covers. Artistically speaking, they looked quite nice, but holy poo poo they were awful.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

There is a Spider-Man thread if you want a safe space to talk about Spider-Man in.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

tbf this whole thing is sounds a bit similar to Secret Warriors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

They could just not use Xorn at all because what they did was needlessly confusing.

• Locked thread