Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Madcosby posted:

Adam West denies banging like all the female cast

He nailed Eartha Kitt. After that, nothing measured up anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Oh poo poo. They totally have an opportunity to do "What do You Get the Man Who Has Everything" now. Just set up Superman's death as some kind of coma/afterlife.

I would forgive so much if Justice League did this.

And it didn't suck.

Supergirl stole this plot already

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

They even called the episode "For the Girl Who Has Everything"

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Get your own storylines, Supergirl!

Is that show good? I didn't stay past the pilot.

not really, unless you REALLY love you some Supergirl or Calista Flockhart

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Tiberius Christ posted:

someone who couldn't say no to a 12 year old that never grew up

So....John Landis again?

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Ork of Fiction posted:

There was a part where Batman was fighting Superman and BM picks up a sink to hit him with it and I was all "Man! I never thought he would SINK to this level" or "You ever get that SINKing feeling?!" or "He's thrown everything at him at this point, even the KITCHEN (actually bathroon) SINK!" or "Looks like the porcelEND of the line!" or "SINKs 2bu dude!!!"

Didn't this scenario happen in The Spirit, only with a toilet?

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

a retard posted:

i am not seeing suicide squad because of all the focus on the joker and how insanely prepared jared leto got for the role.

jared leto is no daniel day-lewis

Now I want to see Daniel Day-Lewis as the Joker

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

N. Senada posted:

He is not a smart guy and cannot see the big picture.

Does this refer to Snyder's Superman, or to Zack Snyder himself?

Either way the answer is 'yes'

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

G-III posted:

Also, Supes and Doomsday skewering each other at the end does take a little from the death of Arthur and Mordred from Excalibur

Thank you for the context, because without it this looks like a rather awesome early-80s Mick Jagger-David Bowie crossover album cover

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Pitdragon posted:

but then batman grabs joker by the lapel while they are laughing and the camera pans down so you can only see their feet and suddenly the joker stops laughing while batman just keeps on laughing. i took it as implying that batman was strangling the joker to death

I think Alan Moore explicitly said that was his intent with the book, but then it became canon.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Zombie Boat posted:

This is pretty spot on except I would move croc up just because he's croc and not batman pretending to be croc.

and then he throws a rock at Batman

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

She's poised to make a real brand out of this character and make bathtubs full of money, which she will take moneybubble baths in if it goes her way

This should be the entirety of Suicide Squad 2.

Also, of Justice League

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

King Shark would have saved the film.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

"What was I supposed to do, let them all die?"

"MAYBE" says superdad :rant:

"They aren't gonna learn how to breathe underwater on their own if you keep 'saving' them, Clark."

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007
lol http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squads-secret-drama-rushed-916693

THR posted:

Though the studio believed there was enough time to get the movie done, a source with ties to the project says it was a sprint from the start. "[Ayer] wrote the script in like, six weeks, and they just went," he says, arguing that the whole process would have benefited if Ayer, 48, had been given more time to work. But another source closely involved with the film says once it was dated, pushing back the release was not an option: "It's not just that you've told the public the movie is coming, you've made huge deals around the world with huge branding partners, with merchandise partners. It's a really big deal to move a tentpole date."

It was fine though when they moved the release date for BvS, a much smaller movie with lesser-known, obscure characters.

THR posted:

A source with knowledge of events says Warners executives, nervous from the start, grew more anxious after they were blindsided and deeply rattled by the tepid response to BvS. "Kevin was really pissed about damage to the brand," says one executive close to the studio. A key concern for Warners executives was that Suicide Squad didn't deliver on the fun, edgy tone promised in the strong teaser trailer for the film. So while Ayer pursued his original vision, Warners set about working on a different cut, with an assist from Trailer Park, the company that had made the teaser.

Does SS deliver on the Edgy Fun? I've not seen it.

THR posted:

Even on the day of the premiere, one insider fretted about whether Suicide Squad would mirror BvS' huge opening and weak legs. Another veteran says the goal is survival: "The movie's got to do $750 million, $800 million to break even. If they get anywhere close to that, they'll consider it a win."

"Will Suicide Squad get there? Have our beleaguered (W)Bros. brethren bit into a box-office bomb?? Tune in this weekend - same suicide time, same suicide channel!" - already a more exciting prospect than the movie itself.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

how does batgirl wear a big lacy bra under her skintight batsuit

That's her superpower

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Can you name one of these poor quality episodes? I just went through a list of B:TAS episodes and can't remember a single one that was lovely. I know that nothing can be 100% perfect, but I would love to hear what's a bad B:TAS episode.

I recently had a chance to go back and watch the entirety of B:TAS. And it was...not as great as I remembered it.

It was an awesome idea, sure. A cartoon emulating the Tim Burton movies, with a heaping helping of post-TV series Dennis O'Neil era "ditch the campiness and get back to what passes for gritty in the '70s" comics. And it wasn't that any single episode was lovely or an absolute disaster in and of itself. The animation is consistently good (until TNBA), and there were certainly great and even classic episodes. The problem is that the average episode was, at best, aggressively mediocre. The stories fell into the same patterns of "bad guy is about to do a thing when BATMAN (and sometimes ROBIN) just happen to show up by busting through the window to stop them, usually shouting things like "It's over, Joker!", or "It's over, Clayface!", or "It's over, Clock King!" before proceeding to stop them, cops show up, villain laments capture, ROLL CREDITS. Most of these episodes felt like they were missing that last minute of denouement the plot needed, or the World's Greatest Detective-ing that Batman is kinda-sorta known for.

That said, I do believe the writers did the best they could. The problem with B:TAS was Fox Kids' Standards and Practices department, which was notorious for demanding pages of cuts and changes to all their shows. If comics were a ballgame, these episodes were playing with Nerf equipment. It's worth noting that when the series moved over to The WB the writers had a LOT more freedom (as did the Superman cartoon), and this helped guide the DCAU in the direction of being pretty drat good. In short, studio meddling kept it down.

But, you can only blame the studio so much. A decent writer can overcome the hurdles thrown by the studio and still create something amazing. Case in point: The Demon's Quest, episode 60-something. It starts with Dick Grayson being kidnapped from his dorm room at school, and Batman in the Batcave trying to find him with the Batcomputer when Ra's Al Ghul (and minion) saunters in. And he's like "yeah I know you're Bruce Wayne and that Dick is missing but the same guys kidnapped Talia (who was introduced in an earlier episode) so let's help each other?" And Batman says "sure, why not?" And they go on this rollicking, globe-trotting adventure through Egypt and Pakistan and poo poo before finding the kidnapped kids hanging over a Lazarus Pit, at which point Mr. Ghul pulls the old "Surprise, Batman! IT WAS ME ALL ALONG!"

And Batman just stands there, totally unimpressed, and goes "I know. I've known since the minute you stepped into the Batcave. And then we went out and this happened, that happened, and the other thing happened and they just confirmed my suspicions. Now I'm going to stop you." And Batman stops him.

And it was incredible. We got to watch Batman be Batman; we not only saw him do his detective thing, but follow along the logical progression of clues to see HOW he came to his conclusion. Without relying on lazy writing like magical batcomputer info or awkward expository conversation with Alfred or whatever (which the recent movies are still wont to do). All in the space of 22 minutes or so.

I was so impressed, I went back to see who wrote the episode. Whoever it was was for drat sure better than whatever hacks DC/WB has been going to lately, and that episode is proof positive that it's not impossible to find someone who isn't going to deliver a cinematic turd like David Goyer, or Solid Snake, or Akiva Goldsman. Someone who not only understands the source material, but can - even in the face of studio meddling - come up with something that is not only entertaining, but actually good. All the while staying true to the characters and not going for THE EDGE or distorting their basic characterizations to hell. A lesson today's DC/WB could take to heart.

So I go back to the start and see...
"Written by Dennis O'Neil"

Welp.

Anyway, to answer the original question, The Cat and The Claw pt. 1 was a lovely episode.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

No no see "Space Hitler comes to town and the Justice League hits him real hard" is a much better plot because

we already know how that ends

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

I did not realize this movie film titled "Suicide Squad" about a bunch of murderers and psychopaths and supervillains who where imprisoned for willfully breaking laws and/or inflicting bodily harm on others or have bad edgy tattoos and like to abuse their subordinates mentally, physically, and sexually and who spend the movie joyously hitting and/or killing other people was so important to "SANE PEOPLE."

But hey, at least it doesn't pander to womens and browns. And that's what's really important.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

:can:

Suicide Squad stars two white women, a Japanese woman, a black woman, 2 black men, a latino man, an Inuit man, and 4 small bit roles for white men.

Ghostbusters had three white ladies and a black stereotype.

:can:

Right but the Girlbusters apparently didn't "know their place."

EDIT: The Suicide Squad knows theirs, and also that their place is maximum security prison. So it's not pandering

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Germstore posted:

Yeah but that guy would loving talk it out with Batman instead of fighting.

If BvS was nothing but two hours of debate between Batman and Superman with a single fixed camera it would be a far better movie.

Also, it would mean Superman had more than 4 lines of dialogue in a movie about him.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007
Was this used in BvS? I feel it could have actually improved things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iutWOk0cejc

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Mordja posted:

There's something kind of telling about the fact that this thread is still around but the Suicide Squad one is nowhere to be seen, but I'm not sure what it is.

This thread will not die until at least the JL thread inevitably appears.

hell, if that one dude is right then until the WW thread

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Wheany posted:

Who would win in a fight: Thor wielding Mjolnir or a Thor-sized Mjolnir wielding a Mjolnir-sized Thor?

Answer: the audience!

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

lex luthor has been completely reinvented over and over again. some of those versions are very bad, and many of them are very good.

so naturally they decided to make him an idiot manchild whose motivations were only shown in deleted scenes.

Well he'd already played Zuckerberg once before, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007
Parasyte is so weird because half the time it's a goofy ramp with alien hand boy and the other half is people being decapitatated or julienned.

• Locked thread