Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
naem
May 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

A serious tone movie can have fun light moments and a light fun tone movie can have serious moments, but when your movie is all PUNCHING SMASH DEPRESSION EXPLOSION GRIMDARK it had better be like really really good, like Nolan batman 2, or it's just "not good"

Movies should be "good" and not "bad" is, what,

naem
May 29, 2011

I laughed nonstop through two fantastic hours of deadpool, a graphic movie about murder/torturer/prostitute/killers

Man of steel, a movie where heroic good guys save the day, left me grim and depressed, lifeless, sad, bereft of hope, with a sense that powers beyond my control don't much care about me or anything and we might as well just smash stuff because meh

naem
May 29, 2011

I have learned recently that people have "feelings" and also "moms" and I have combined these into my movie about smashing things efficiently, I zack Snyder am a real life organic human male whirrrr whirrrr buzz bzzzzz zzzzzt click *unholy chorus singing*

naem
May 29, 2011

naem
May 29, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

nazy sympathizer!!

Wait wah?

naem
May 29, 2011

Immortan posted:

When will disney release the unedited originals... when

Can you really not buy the originals

naem
May 29, 2011

The story makes a LOT more sense in the comic.

Batman had been hokey Adam west TV show in people's minds for years, and frank miller wrote this dark gritty story about an aged bitter realistic batman as he does one last big scheme to stop a big bad something something.

Bats realizes that this impossibly powerful superman guy might show up to interfere, superman is less a character and more a force of nature (and yet comes across as more human and relatable in a couple pages than these movies).

It was the original "gritty realistic modern reboot" everything has been imitating since

naem
May 29, 2011

Maybe if man of steel had been a more happy superman hero movie with pretty colors they could then do a nice superman vs gritty batman (like in the comic), THEN they could do a justice league something something all with a consistent tone like that other comic movie series franchise, you know, the successful one

They could have contrasted a charming optimist superman with a bright color pallet against gritty batman and it would have been both more fun and the grittiness would have stood out where applied,

ALSO the theme of superman realizing "I'm not perfect and look batman is right here" and batman realizing "I need more faith in humanity like superman" that would have been good plus that story already exists and is written already IN THE CONMICC BUKK, I'm a lovely poo baby,

also Wonder Woman needs tigger biddies

naem
May 29, 2011

She's a mossad agent Greek goddess

naem
May 29, 2011

many johnnys posted:

He's not going to kill this movie. He's just gonna hurt it, really really bad.

:stare:

naem
May 29, 2011

Nirvikalpa posted:

Also the interrogation scene in TDK points out how absurd that Batman is a guy in a costume beating up people and that maybe it's not something to take so seriously.

http://youtu.be/w2yv8aT0UFc

naem
May 29, 2011

Dr strange is one of my fav obscure characters thanks to my dad taking me to comic stores a lot as a kid so that he got at least a couple minutes a week of fun since he didn't get to spend his 20's as a hipster like I suspect he wanted since he had kids so I would read the comics too since I wanted dad to like me and now he's dead, wait what were, we talking about,

naem
May 29, 2011

whatever7 posted:

One of the main causes of WWI was that the German Kaiser became too ambitious and wanted to build up the navy to contest with British empire's oversea colonial markets.

Rapid raising of a regional superpower is the most unstable state in geopolitics, usually it results in major warfare and reestablishment of new world order.

Causes of WWII was WWI and the idiotic Treaty of Versailles.

China wants to start wwIII over fish

naem
May 29, 2011

Sealab 2020 no really

naem
May 29, 2011

It's going to be fun when we're all in nursing homes with our Xbox 12's

naem
May 29, 2011

Mr. Pumroy posted:

uhhh once i hit 60 im gonna put on my vr headset and romp with naked animus till i die in a small unfurnished room coated in my body secretions

Pretty much do that now

naem
May 29, 2011

Yaws posted:

I wish these comic book movies would find a middle-ground tone between those light Marvel movies and grim rear end DC poo poo

We all do

JazzFlight posted:

Maybe Captain America: The Winter Soldier? That was kind of a mix between light and serious?

Somehow the best action movie I've ever seen

naem
May 29, 2011

Batman question: so if he sees a bunch of guys committing a crime and punches them (until they stop), then hangs them by their ankles from a lamppost, do the police just assume that "yes these are criminals because they are tied up, we will charge them with, something"

Like does batman get out his phone and film them crime-ing first and then email the cops or how does

naem
May 29, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

That guy sounds like he'd fit right in with the Image Comics Cinematic Universe. We need to get Spawn and uh, like, uh Savage Dragon and Witchblade and The Maxx, Venom X and Youngblood or some poo poo, give them all stand alone movies with interwoven cameos then build to some sort of mega-squad poo poo. Maybe throw in Bone?

E: Was Gen 13 Image or one of the subsidiaries? Cause people love super teams.

Sounds like some kind of, suicide squad...

naem
May 29, 2011

If this movie were like a restaurant or club, the kind of place that hires cool people to work there to keep the place popular, then jerad Leto is like the owners son who thinks he's the most popular guy.

Everyone's earning enough money to keep showing up and they say "you the man G haha yeah!" whenever Leto is in the room, then they go back to grimly pouring drinks or dancing in a cage or whatever

Sometimes they get sick of buddying around with him and have to sneak outside to smoke and hope he doesn't try to join them

naem
May 29, 2011

Jered is always bragging to the bartender that he's going to "mack" on these "babes" and doesn't realize the bartender is married to the waitress, or that the dancers don't get health insurance and are working their way through college and have to pay for their own stage clothing so when he grabs a girl's bra strap as she walks by he's costing her half a night's pay "HA HA BOOYA!!" he yells, expecting will smith to high five him for assaulting a 19 year old

naem
May 29, 2011

Watch this be a good enjoyable movie

naem
May 29, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Zack Snyder is pushing for a Sandman movie where he Shazams into a hulking meathead that throws buildings at people.

Could not possibly be any worse idea holy poo poo, I want to see a bunch of former hot topic goths reaction to this after being told they are finally getting a sandman movie

naem
May 29, 2011

The sandman is basically a guy with a masters of humanities degree who hangs out on campus still successfully hooking up with freshman, somehow, the comic book

naem
May 29, 2011

Just two large muscular adult men in spandex wrasslin around

naem
May 29, 2011

In a world with a superman why would you dress up like a bat and punch people? Seems like you'd lose your motivation

naem
May 29, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: I love that one of their main points is "He once wielded Thor's hammer and you can't do that unless you're worthy therefore he can't have been a secret Hydra sleeper agent because you can't fool an ancient Norse hammer!!!"

Ah yes Thor's hammer, the tool used to genocide an entire race of sentient beings, so worthy lol

naem
May 29, 2011

Fonzarelli posted:

can you imagine how clever Hack Snyder thought he was when realised that superman and batman's mum have the same name?

I think he just plays with a huge and immaculate model train set and adjusts numbers in a spreadsheet to maximize its efficiency and if anyone interrupts train time he makes high pitched dog noises and flaps his hands around autistically

naem
May 29, 2011

Ban affleck: good
Henry cavill: talented
Gal gadot: gorgeous
Jessie esenberg: mark zuckerburg
Amy Adams: America's sweetheart

Movie: meh?

Conclusion: GRIMDARK

naem
May 29, 2011

naem
May 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wasn't that how Civil War did it anyway where Hawkeye fought Black Widow instead of, say, Vision?

How is Jeremy Renner in these movies again?

It's like "hi I'm your unmarried uncle who is a middle manager at an accounting firm and maybe I did some bicep curls and I just wandered into this superhero group and they haven't made me leave yet"

naem
May 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean we know that Black Widow got some off-brand Soviet Super Soldier Serum, as did Winter Soldier, but I don't think Hawkeye's power is ever really explained beyond "he's really loving accurate with his bow and has a bunch of different arrows he can shoot"

Which, I will grant, can be pretty good if you're shooting from far enough and have some really nasty arrows, but then he routinely gets into fights where he's close enough to club a sucker with the bow, which seems counter-productive for someone that's ostensibly grade-A normal homo sapien.

Hawkeye the character is fine I'm talking about this guy:

Hi I'm your dad/an accountant, they handed me a bow and some arrows? Is this a movie? Hmm maybe if I squint a lot and just stand in the back

naem
May 29, 2011

SciFiDownBeat posted:

germy runner is cool

How? No sarcasm whatsoever just, how.

naem
May 29, 2011

SciFiDownBeat posted:

idk he seems okay. he doesn't appear to be nuts and was in some good movies. assassination of jesse james, the hurt locker, ghost protocol

In the hurt locker Jeremy Renner plays a generic 35 year old white guy in a uniform whose only facial expression is a grimace where that made sense.

In the avengers he plays a generic 35 year old white guy whose only facial expression is a grimace, didn't make as much sense

naem
May 29, 2011

Don Tacorleone posted:

Good point

I mean that batarang was aimed straight at dude's head, and Batfleck is like "oh, so you're fast" :crossarms:

Well what if I wasn't fast you dick

And flash is so loving desperate for friends he's still joining a team where the captain is throwing poo poo at his head

The job market's rough for millenials

naem
May 29, 2011

Spider-Man 1 and 2 went for a realism with Toby maguire as a believable broke student dealing with a sad life becoming a hero

Then 3 was a cartoon

naem
May 29, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Y'know, deep down I really want these children's movies to be good because I love DC and even if it's not my preferred take on these characters to be all dour and "oh my god look at how badass..." money shots I would still love to go in and be pleasantly surprised.

That having been said, the schadenfreude of consistently watching DC and the WB fall on their loving faces while managing to seem like they're trying entirely too hard on one hand and nowhere near hard enough on the other.... that's a solid consolation prize.

same

naem
May 29, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Superman was invented in the Depression as an example of a middle class ubermensch promoting unity in the face of tyrannical self-interested bastards?

Zach Snyder IS a tyrannical self interested rich bastard who doesn't give a poo poo about us middle class viewers or what we like

He "doesn't owe us anything"

This whole movie is just one big "gently caress you" to America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

I appreciate the muppets on a much deeper level than you

http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/i-appreciate-the-muppets-on-a-much-deeper-level-th-16208

• Locked thread