Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The Joker is going to be revealed to be Alan Moore who made up that multiple choice origin poo poo as a smokescreen to hide the truth.

Also I feel really bad for Batman. Capullo makes a nice new costume and then almost everybody else gets a reboot without retarded N52 lines all over their costumes and Bruce is the only one left with them.

WickedHate posted:

What if the new RHatO is good and everyone here likes it?

I will eat a Roy Harper Trucker Hat™

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
No because that means I'd have to go buy a trucker hat just in case and that's something I'm not willing to do. But it's a Scott Lobdell written Jason Todd book so I'm pretty confident in betting it'll be bad.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I still can't figure out what the point of that would have been.

"You wanted your spider-marriage back so bad, fuckers, well here (half of) it is! Now shut up and stop whining about OMD and that devil deal." - Marvel exec

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It's basically what people who have never been to Brooklyn think of when they think of Brooklyn.

Hey that's not right, I've never been to Brooklyn and when I think of Brooklyn I think "Okay that's part of New York but like how is it different from the other parts maybe I should google this"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HitTheTargets posted:

I wonder what Superboy Prime would think of BvS:DoJ. The whole point of the character (from Infinite Crisis on) is the juxtaposition of him wanting superheroes to be fun & charming while he himself is melodramatic & bitter. So does he watch it and say "that's not what Superman would do, this sucks" or "that's what I would do, this is great"?

He breaks into a DVD commentary recording session and rips off one of Zack Snyder and Henry Cavill's arms while yelling "YOUR MOVIE WAS JUST MEDIOCRE" then turns to Ben Affleck and says "You were pretty great" while weeping.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Coming of the Supermen is a massive disappointment for me in comparison to Odyssey just because every issue doesn't start with sexy naked Clark Kent trying to seduce me by recapping.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

Those sound interesting, I'm intrigued. A little confused about why it needs to be a new imprint, but ok.

God drat, Dan Didio, what is with you and Kamandi? He seems to really want to make Kamandi a thing and hasn't managed to yet.

I think everybody who's ever seen that map of Kamandi's world has wanted to try to make Kamandi a thing if only so they can write a story set in the Kangarat Murder Society.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's posted twice on the last page dude

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Um so Scott Lobdell killed one of the worst characters DC's shat out in years? gently caress, give the man an Eisner, I say.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

I don't understand that at all. Not only is Harley still making them a buttload of money but why would you just take another crazy girl version of the same loving villain and expect it to take off?

I guess because they're trying to shift Harley into being Deadpoolan antihero, they felt they just had to have a clown themed female character who's a villain.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I'd bet it's that. HQ is palling around with Green Lantern so they need an evil clown chick. DC wanted their own Carnage.

Does this make Harley Quinn into Venom: Lethal Protector in this analogy? Paging Dr. Gavok to the thread...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Well, Worlds' Finest cuts off at the end of the PG+Huntress issues for some reason. Weird.

Just as well, it was trash after that anyway and the PG+Huntress issues were nothing special either.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I kinda liked Jessica Cruz's old costume better. I mean, she's still gonna be using the evil Power Ring ring, right, so why is she reppin the GL Corps? I guess I just liked the other logo is all. Her new costume just looks too plain, like she consulted Hal Jordan on how to make the most generic Green Lantern costume possible then added an eye-lantern for one solitary point of differentiation.

X-O posted:

And the underwear on the outside should definitely go.

Heresy!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 30, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Well in Suicide Squad Most Wanted they had him being replaced by a black man. The way it's been handled though is pretty amusing though.

I'll bite, how? Did a black marksman kill Floyd Lawton and declare himself Deadshot?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Well I guess I have to retract my nomination for Lobdell to get an Eisner then

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

DC is really just emphasizing that they're the Pepsi to Marvel's coke with this constant rebranding

I don't know, you can say that DC retcons or reboots itself too often but you can hardly say Marvel's innocent of constant rebranding when they can hardly let a title break 20 issues before slapping a new #1 on there and calling it all-new.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You know I don't complain about "Johnsian literalism" like a lot of the rest of the forum does, but I can not believe that Johns took something like Joker liking his origin "multiple choice" and actually making there be multiple loving Jokers. Otherwise I found Rebirth a perfectly serviceable comic. That scene where Wally couldn't make Linda Park remember him was actually kinda sad and well written.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Well there's only one around now, we don't need to distinguish em anymore!

Plus nu52 Supes stopped that T-shirt phase after he got his powers back. He is/was no longer "bro". But mostly because it sounds stupid.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

To distinguish the two Kid Flashes named Wally West, I propose referring to red suit Wally as "White Lightning".

Grandmaster Flash

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

Like Snyder's pretty good and all. But his Batman is a copy of a copy, an unironic imitation of a deliberate inversion of the way comics haven't actually been in decades.

As someone who (for the most part) really liked Snyder's Batman, could you explain what in the world you mean here? Are you saying it's bad? Or that he's trying to be Moore or something?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know I am way late to the party, but I agree with everybody posting alternate Tim Drake costumes. The new one's nice and all, but it needs something to make it stand out as being more distinctive from Grayson and Todd's Robin duds besides an extra R, especially since as far as I know, the New 52 still retconned out Dick's original suit with the exposed legs and I doubt Wally West is gonna pop b Diyck's place for a touching moment where he and Wally hug and go "How could I forget, Wally? How could I ever forget when I fought crime in green briefs?" I mean, even the wing suit, dumb though it may be, is certainly visually distinctive from any other Robin suit.

Rhyno posted:

Let's talk about Joker's Daughter instead.

I still say Lobdell missed out for not ridding the world of The Worst Character. I mean, maybe I don't have the power to award Eisners, but I would've made a paper mâché Eisner and sent it to him.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So has anyone taken Geoff Johns up on that offer of mailing back Rebirth #1? Is there any way to track numbers on returns?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm excited to have a Green Arrow with a beard again. Best thing to come out of rebirth so far imo

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Better than the Capullo one, but goddamn Bats, install some hydraulics or something, your loving Bat-low-rider is generating sparks from just moving because it's so close to the ground.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

edit: DT hates him because he didn't "get" Jason Todd like writing superstar Lobdel, so take that with a grain of salt.

I dunno, I remember D_T's dissertation about Tynion's RHATO back in the old Bad Runs thread and the poo poo he posted was pretty loving dire.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 3, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

It was a clean slate unless the writer didn't care so that story did happen.

Really GL and Batman were the two points of absolute confusion in the N52 change because Johns and Morrison still had stories going. Morrison just kept writing Inc. like nothing happened (except for everyone changing costumes and Steph Brown and Cass Cain vanishing) while Johns kept writing GL like nothing had happened while still referencing the past and just presumably just praying that he never hit a continuity error too noticeable.

Something something hypertime.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I remember them directly referencing the fight,and that statue they built in memory.

Yeah there was some interview with... Johns? Didio? Lobdell? One of those goons, back when that Superdoom event (which was surprisingly alright given how stupid its premise sounded) was gonna happen, where they said that Superman and Doomsday had totally faced off before, of course they did, it was the 90s unless it wasn't.

So yeah, another case of "well we'll just sort it out later and hope not too many people complain"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I understand a lot of people disliked Azzarello's WW, but discarding all of it as some big Dr. Manhattan-induced lie seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater to me, as Azzarello's run did have some really neat poo poo. If nothing else, I loved his gods. Old drunk Ares was great.

Now disavowing the Finches is fine, as that run was in the bad ideas pile from its inception.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

I doubt Detective's villain is a Watchman rather than just having that same tired bad guy trope that they didn't think to not include.
I would enjoy sites trying to pick it apart, speculating it'll be Night Owl or something.

Look at that army, it's clearly the Arkham Knight, a totally original character :)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

Gotham [...] was real good.

well drat that's news.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

Was that before or after Batman was pouring out his suit's coolant in front of him? Because that might have made a difference.

Those games are so much Goddamn fun but christ that version of Batman is a pouty dickhole

After. But Freeze counters with another stupid move by pouring out one vial of the cure then asking Batman to help him save Nora, as though taunting him with death is a way to get on his good side.

Agreed that Arkham Bats is a prick though.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 11, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

The Batman/Nightwing issue of Batman and Robin was better than the entirety of Requiem and it ends up mourning the death of Damian better than Morrison ever did.

gently caress that issue is loving incredible.

:agreed:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

The Fred Flintstone of Zur En Arrh!

"Imagination is the fifth dimension, dum dum."

I'm inside a self assembling hyper cereal ad! And it's trying its best to destroy me!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

The one people consider the worst one.

Didn't the New 52 Justice League form in Detroit where Cyborg became Cyborg?

No, they formed somewhere with a coastline because there's that one page where Aquaman pops up out of nowhere with a shark and has it bite a parademon in half.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Have you read All-Star Superman? I'd like to hear what you thought of that.
As well as Seven Soldiers and Multiverity, which strike a much better balance between nutso meta narrative and solid stories in their miniseries and one-shots respectively.

I know I'm not the person you asked but as someone who dislikes a lot of Morrison's work (and has been obnoxiously vocal about it), I actually really liked Multiversity and found it surprisingly easy to follow. I only wish the end would have provided a close to some of the tie-ins, which mostly ended on cliffhangers. Like, I understand that they were supposed to end that way but I kind of would have liked to see what happened to, for instance, that world with the slacker hero kids getting overrun with Gentry-infected Superman robots.

Thunderworld loving ruled though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Semper Fudge posted:

Hmmm maybe they shouldn't kick all the non-white people off the team. Just my two cents.

But how will we get the Greatest Green Lantern Ever, Hal Jordan, back on the team?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

I'm too much of a weeb to not love everything about it's semi-cringy faux anime set up, and that includes the Japanese pop stars.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with a WickedHate post but I guess this is the hill I die on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

lotus circle posted:

I don't recall it being that big of an uproar.

I do but I guess I follow the right folks on Twitter. IIRC, the real big deal was about them announcing a new creative team before telling her she was off, effectively canning her without the decency of a heads-up. Or maybe they just fired her with no warning? It was some stupid poo poo, you know S.O.P for DC.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

I mean, I never read Batwing so maybe Luke is some incredible character there but I kinda doubt it.

No, he's awful. In fact, he doesn't even come into the series until halfway through when everyone realized "poo poo, no one is buying this book about the Batman of Africa and we have run out of excuses for him to keep showing up in Gotham. Better just put a new guy in the suit with closer ties to the main Bat-family! Lucius Fox has kids, right?"

this is an edit I made but it might as well be the back half of Batwing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is not even a good story.

I can't wrap my head around this post. Someone actually said there was a good Jason Todd story and then you go and say "NAH". I don't get you, man.

Travis343 posted:

Didn't they eventually decide to go with a Lazarus pit anyway? Should have done that from the beginning.

I think they decided to use a Lazarus pit later. Like, it was the reality punch, but there was such a backlash against the whole reality-punch (because it was pretty dumb) that DC started retconning in explanations for the things that the reality-punch did, so he got Lazarus pit-ted.