Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PCjr sidecar posted:

Do never buy Samsung large appliances. Their repair supply chain is nonexistent and they have a shitload of design issue and the local appliance repair shops hate working with them so good luck with ‘warranty.’

One came with our house and boy do I hate it. I've had more trouble with it in the last year and a half than the combined lifetime total of every fridge I've ever known.

I've pretty much given up on the ice maker ever working correctly. It just constantly made ice, even when there was no more space for ice. Then that stopped for some reason. Then the spinny part that makes the ice come out iced over and I decided I don't care enough to fix it. Doesn't seem to be causing me any trouble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I recently had an asbestos guy practically tell me that it was easier for me to remove my own asbestos tile. The room is 24x24 and almost all of the tile is gone. At some point in the past, they had a flood and pulled up the tile after that. All that's left is a 1 to 2 inch strip hiding under the baseboards. The mastic is long gone, dissolved by the flood, and it tested negative anyhow. So I've got this perimeter strip that I can just pick up off the slab with my gloved hand. I guess they just cut it apart when they removed the old tile.

I was taken aback when he said that for a job that small, it was something that a homeowner could take care of themselves, if they were interested. One day, I'm tempted to do it myself and then the next I'm not so sure.

Honestly, I probably breathed in more toxic dust that summer I worked in a tool and die shop and never so much as put on a dust mask than those tiles could ever throw at me.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My basement asbestos tile adventure turned out to be about 6 square feet of strips, so that wasn't too bad when I got around to doing it a few weeks ago. There was way less than I'd expected from my initial probe and most of the pieces were smaller than I'd anticipated. I have more square footage of shop towels from my clean-up sealed up than I have tile.

My dumpster is coming tomorrow for all the old studs, paneling, etc. and I haven't been this excited since Christmas 1988 when I was certain I was getting a Nintendo.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The last of my basement demo went into the dumpster today. Just have to sweep and mop the floor to get the various bits of sawdust and carpet fuzz and whatever up. Then I can pull out all of the odd scraps of wiring that aren't connected to anything any more. And deal with the approximately 37,000 nails left behind in the walls.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

falz posted:

This is always the answer.

Heck, I don't even need any cinderblocks and if I saw a pile of them down the street with a "free" sign on them, I'd take at least six.

Maybe I'll need something to hold down a tarp or something?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Last year, I flopped a big long piece of good old black corrugated pipe down parallel to our fence so that my downspout didn't go directly into the neighbor's garden. My wife also wanted it to go farther down the fence line so as not to interfere with her garden either. After a year of looking at the ugly pipe, we decided to bury the pipe to the natural low spot that the downspout water was ultimately flowing.

Of course, when I called 811, the location we selected for the pipe was exactly where our gas line is. So, I got to spend my weekend hand digging a 40 foot trench. I feel like I'm going to die this morning, which I'd be completely ok with.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

At this rate, it'll be 2025 before I actually get started on construction in my basement.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I do like yelling at a hockey puck to make my lights turn off, so that's about all I require.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

When we bought our place, the previous owners paid for a sampler pack of basement issues. There were water issues on three different exterior walls and some structural issues. A bunch of the money went to the carbon fiber strapping on two of the basement walls. Two of the walls with water issues were solved by having minimal downspout extensions, but one now sports some sort of elaborate drainage system. Given how much the sump pump runs when we get heavy rain, I'm inclined to think it is doing something. We also had them rebuild the front porch because it was sinking, thanks to their downspout that went nowhere.

The ground here is terrible, terrible clay. Go down six inches and you're mining creamy Silly Putty. Our whole neighborhood is Basement Issues, Virginia. In the two years we've lived here, 3 out of 12 houses on our cul-de-sac have had waterproofing work done.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Blowjob Overtime posted:

iirc you're not in the US. We also get:
-were those fireworks or gunshots? (the answer is always fireworks)
-just heard a bunch of sirens, where were they going?
-things were stolen from my unlocked vehicle parked in my driveway last night, this used to be a good neighborhood

Yet the times it is gunshots never comes up. One night, we heard three distinct rifle shots. My wife and I joked about how long it would take for Nextdoor to get on that. Never did.

We also get "why so many helicopters." Maybe because DC is there and Fort Davison Army Airfield is there and we're right in the middle?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BigFactory posted:

Whenever I scroll past that picture I think it’s a bunch of raw chicken or something on a grill. The color of those logs is real unappetizing

I thought it was pigs feet for a dog to chew on

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Our PO willingly planted a shitload of morning glories, so I'm looking forward to my lifelong war against it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've had someone working on my laundry room for a month and a half. Every other thing is me having to reexplain something or asking why something is the way it is.

This might be the only time that I pay someone to do stuff I can do myself. I'd already be done.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't have wanted to own a house when I was 20.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ErrorInvalidUser posted:

home ownership was popular after WW2 in the US

And plenty of guys went to war, came back to their home town, and immediately spent the next 40 years working at the same plant as dad (or grandpa too).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

We just had our laundry room done. We used ikea cabinets for most of the cabinets, but used plywood to build an enclosure for the washer and dryer, to put a countertop over them. Ikea doesn't have cabinet sides big enough for that.

Paint match to the ikea finish is dead on. You can't tell them apart.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PainterofCrap posted:

This guy, in Adamstown, PA probably has what you need. He strips old buildings before demolition.

https://renningers.net/bob-roths-antique-hardware/

I stop at his booth whenever I'm up there (3-4 times/year).

Hey, my wife bought a ton of small door knobs from that booth. I do remember seeing some narrow hinges too. That was about six months ago, so who the hell knows.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Yesterday the men came and hauled off my Samsung Dead Ice Maker/Refrigerator away. It was a joyous day. It was replaced with a GE fridge that was not yet betrayed me.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BonoMan posted:

Just learning of something called a Cave Cricket. Opened the storeroom in our portico in the new house and there were about 50-75 of them all over the walls.

loving nightmare fuel.

The most I ever murdered in one day was 62. We got them pretty bad in our basement, but they really hate light. Sealing up some seams and cracks in the garage plus leaving two lights on in perpetuity has fully banished them.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Danhenge posted:

A lot of tradesmen don't, presumably they believe they are too tough for PPE.

I know someone that got to finger rettachment #3 before he decided that maybe a table saw blade guard and a push stick was a good idea

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Deviant posted:

that's the next owners problem

I can't stand by and watch someone willingly becoming Previous Owner, Destroyer of Homes.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Something caused my disposal receptacle to fail about a month ago and I haven't fixed it specifically because there's like six things between it and me.

I also don't understand why sump pumps are plugged in.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

What sort of usage threshold justifies the expense of an annual cleaning? I had ours cleaned earlier this summer, for the first time in the three years we've lived here, and he joked that it was the cleanest chimney he's cleaned. We use it less than six times a year, I'd wager.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Inner Light posted:

Seen that a few times on Reddit, it's always a fun watch. Around 38 secs you can see he holds multiple nails in his mouth and slides one out with his tongue when he's ready for the next. Anything on those nails carcinogenic over the years?

Given that it was the height of atmospheric nuclear testing, decades before any real emissions regulation, regularly exposed to lead and asbestos particulates had very different social norms about alcohol and tobacco, and possibly seen combat, the nails were likely the least of his worries.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Anne Whateley posted:

If your ancestors were in the US and had the equivalent of $30 today to drop, they very likely took home photos.

The only real, but major, difference is that you had to be far more selective with your picture. Even if you could afford it, you still didn't waste half the roll taking slightly different versions of the same picture, unless you were an actual photographer.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Our big fluffy cat murdered two Sharks in four years, but the Dyson Animal has defeated his attempts to leave entire cats worth of fur behind

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I had a guy out today for a quote on a subpanel. I'm having a 60A 8 space panel put in an unfinished space. The line from the main panel has to run about 18 feet through a finished ceiling and may potentially require opening up the ceiling (ugh I hope not). We're in Northern Virginia where everything more expensive than a Subway footlong has a 15 to 20 percent bonus cost.

Quoted me $1510. It doesn't sound too bad, but I thought I'd get a sanity check from the internet.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

I'm amazed you can get it done at all that cheaply. Why not 100amps? :v:

Actually it is 100A. I misremembered something!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

NomNomNom posted:

Sup NoVa buddy, you'll have to let me know if you're happy with their work.

I'm pretty sure I'll be happy because I wasn't with the last one (I don't remember who, off the top of my head). We had our laundry room done last year and the electrician that subbed for our contractor was...ok so the contractor and I literally drew on the wall where we wanted the boxes to go and what kind. Literally none of them went into the right place, which is sort of a big deal when one of them is the power for the washer and dryer, which is supposed to be under a countertop and you put the outlet above the line going across the room labeled COUNTER. There was also the one labeled "light switch" that was inexplicably a two gang box with two receptacles in it? He was terrible.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Final Blog Entry posted:

Comedy option, smart thermostat and put the app on your phone. Grandma or whoever can just call you and say "hi sweetie I'm cold can you please turn the temp up a few degrees?"

Forcing grandma to beg for heat sounds horrible and hilarious at the same time

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I expect one dollar for every degree of temperature to appear in my birthday card. The number is in your hands.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Slotted screws and Allen keys are things that I would ban if I were Emperor

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

Once it's in the bags it's no more dangerous than normal construction debris. We pile it up in special section of landfills and call it a day more or less. Apparently you have to wet it down. If it's non-friable (Friable means "can be broken down to a powder with your bare hands") it's not really all that dangerous.

A couple years ago, I had a small asbestos job that the asbestos guy literally told me was small enough to do myself. His disposal advice was basically "local regs let you throw out like a pound at a time in the regular trash. Get a bunch of gallon ziploc bags, tape them shut, throw one away a week until you run out of bags."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Oak trees are pretty resilient. They survive decades if not centuries of soil changes and hurricane winds. If they don’t get sick, they’re usually fine.

My parents have a massive oak a hundred feet across, with branches that dwarf entire trees. It has been struck by lightning at least four times. It is way past 140 years old. We learned from one of our neighbors, the son of the man who'd owned the land before he subdivided his farm, that it had been big enough to shade the chicken coops that once sat there back in the 1910s. One of the big limbs is easily three feet across and started to hollow out, so they had an arborist come out.

He declared it one of the healthiest oaks in the area, but did suggest wiring the hollowed limb if only for peace of mind.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That's the Monarch's house. It has a supervillain lair under it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

Cultivate an apocalyptic religion which considers putting anything other than water, soap, bodily waste, and toilet paper into the drains to be the ultimate sin.

Every successful plunging requires that an effigy of the Wipe Demon be cast into a fiery trash bin to ensure the blessings of the plumbing gods.

https://youtu.be/0i6Vovo-r6c?t=23

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I just don't answer the door, which seems to free up some time in my day.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There's a winery we go to a few times a year and the tasting room seems to be in one of these.

I find it completely fascinating. None of the interior walls are load bearing, so the upper room is one gigantic room with nothing other than the center pylon interrupting the space. If I was building something in a scenic place, it would be pretty cool to have a huge kickass 360 degree living room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Deviant posted:

when it's a book it's called smut

Depending on the cover and binding too.

It can range from smut to erotica to erotic literature to, if it gets fancy enough, just literature.