Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Just bought a house with a liquid propane oven (Frigidaire Convection Oven Professional Series) that has no exhaust except for a microwave over the stovetop with a vent fan on the bottom. This is my first time using LP gas for home appliances. When the oven preheats, I smell gas for about 10 minutes -- not the sulfur smell of unburnt gas, but the smell of burnt propane like you'd smell around a propane grill. It goes away once the oven preheats and dinner starts cooking. I grew up in a house with a natural gas utility but I don't remember the range having this strong of a smell, so I'm not sure if this is normal or not for LP gas. Anyone have any input on this?

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Same. Just closed on Dec 10. Every little goddamned thing has me on edge.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Had a contractor replace a couple of forced hot water heating pipes going upstairs from my boiler system. He took out some bad copper and replaced it with PEX. Down at the floor, the side of the new PEX is touching an old copper elbow going to a baseboard heater (the copper gets hot when the hot water runs through it). I know that hot water copper pipes can touch wood safely without risk of ignition; is there any risk of the PEX melting if it stays against the copper?

edit, pic below:
https://imgur.com/lByu7t6

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 11, 2022

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
great info on the PEX! :thanks:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Bought new house. Recessed kitchen lights on a rocker switch stopped working. Everything else worked in the kitchen so I figured had to be the switch. Call an electrician. He comes in and immediately shows me the dimmer slider on the switch. Lights work. Kill myself. Roll on snaredrum.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Got squirrels in my walls. Any best ways to get rid of them?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

BigFactory posted:

Sure they’re squirrels? Could be rats

Almost certain. My wife agressively fed them next to the house over the winter and i can see the hole between the chimney and the siding on the second floor where they likely got in.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Correct. It's the removing-them part I'm wondering about.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Replaced a ceiling light bulb with a smart bulb tonight. After I finished, I went over to turn off the light switch and got a very minor electrical shock when I touched the metal screw holding the faceplate to the wall. I was able to repeat this after turning the switch off and on again so im pretty sure it isnt static electricity. Additonally, when I turned the switch on slowly I could hear a slight electrical crackling. The switch is off for now. Do I need to replace it, and if so, is it dangerous to wait so long as I don't use the switch?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Incredible Groverhaus energy here

lol but for real, I used to repair windows/screens for a while, and did a fair amount of glazing. There's a real zen to it. I prefer the actual glaze, which you work into a soft putty and then a long string that you pack into the angle between the glass and the frame (after having secured the glass with glazing points). After that all you need is a good putty knife and a steady hand and you can make some great angles with the glaze. It was a fun job and it would be a fun thing you might enjoy.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Toebone posted:

Any tips for getting old paint off glass?

I'm too lazy to find an image but here they are on amazon. you can find them at any hardware store.
https://www.amazon.com/Razor-Blade-...aps%2C76&sr=8-8

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Speaking of yards -
My back yard is totally torn up, just dirt when its dry and mud when its wet, due to the previous owners installing a new septic just before I bought the house in December. The yard is covered in straw. I guess that means the septic company seeded it with grass? 1) Do I need to do anything to it before spring to help the new grass grow, and 2) should I eventually rake up the straw or just let it decompose?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Harriet Carker posted:

I just bought my first house. Big mistake? Only time will tell!

But the first thing I’m doing is removing the carpets and putting in red oak floors in the bedrooms and living rooms.

what up dude i'm 4 months into this and every sound, every creak, I think, what is this going to cost

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Anybody have an oil-fired furnace? When I bought the house in December the inspector suggested I get a service contract with a local oil supplier during the summer to lock in a low price. At first glance this seems like an obviously good idea because prices probably aren't getting cheaper anytime soon, but I have no experience in this area so I don't know if that's actually a pratfall for some reason. Anyone here have any wisdom?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Anne Whateley posted:

That is what New Englanders do fwiw

Yep, I live in the region. Moved here in 2017 but just bought the house end of last year.

tracecomplete posted:

You will be lucky to find anybody locking in a rate that isn't basically thievery right now. It's tough.

I'm counting the days till I can shitcan my oil company and at least try for a new one. They unilaterally informed me today that they were enrolling me in a "budget protection plan" so they could charge me all summer for oil they'd deliver this winter (but don't forget, if the price of oil goes up, we'll take more money this summer too!). Eat my entire rear end, shitheads.

Thanks for the heads up on this one

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
If you have pets/kids/move a lot, home reserve is pretty great. They sell modular furniture and you can buy replacement covers/cushions for when your kids piss on them or your dogs and cats shred them. They ship the furniture in boxes and you assemble it yourself. The quality is better than what you might think. We bought a sectional from them almost ten years ago that we're still using.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
My house (bought late last year) has a musty crawlspace I need to do something about. Looking into dehumidifiers, but working on a budget. Handful questions for when folks have the time --

1) Can I just plop like a $200 home depot dehumidifier down there from an extension cord until it dries out? (I don't have the funds to fix the crawlspace correctly according to the internet [sealing the crawlspace, etc.] but I need to do something; I can smell the cold and damp coming up through the floor.) If so, how long would that take? Obviously it's a question of square-footage and the power of the equipment, but this is something usually measured in hours or days?

2) My oil-fired boiler is down there; is that something I need to consider when using the dehumidifier? (I can't imagine so but just want to double-check I'm not missing something.) On that note, I've read that dehumidifying the crawlspace can save on the heating bill, is that true? Trying to do whatever I can to cut down on using a lot of oil this year.

3) Is running the dehumidifier something I should make a monthly chore to keep up on the dampness, or should it be more of an ad hoc basis after heavy rainfalls/snowfalls? I'd guess the answer to this one is "it depends", but I'm mostly just looking for the ballpark obligation on something like this.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Awesome, thanks for the all the dehumidifier info. One last question -- I also have a sump pump down there (there's no actual crock; the pump is just at the lowest point in the crawlspace). Is there any reason I can't put the dehumidifier hose at that low point and let the pump take care of it?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
drat I was wondering why my house (MA) doesnt have gutters. The inspector said it was fine but I was having some serious doubts (I'm from the Midwest where gutters are common). Thanks for the discussion, learned something new.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Not to distract from the bullet chat, but any idea what this is in the below pictures? I found it in a laundry room with a lot of white wire racking.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Great, thanks all.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I had a temporary Lally column snap in my crawlspace tonight, made the house shudder. It's the middle one of three that supports a big beam down there that bisects the house and that the joists rest on (in the picture below, the Lally closest is what snapped; one is behind the spot from where I took the picture). The other two look okay. Of course this happened after hours. I sent some pictures to a foundation guy who was kind enough to get back to me. He said it isn't a leave-the-house emergency but it does need to get resolved as soon as possible. Just looking for a second opinion given, you know, my goddamn house shuddered.

edit: here is a shot of the Lally broken -- the flashlight is on the spot on that beam where it was.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 20, 2023

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Motronic posted:

Absolutely agree with the foundation guy assuming there isn't a 120 gallon fish tank on the floor directly above the broken lally.

You want that taken care of asap not because your house is in jeopardy of literally falling into the basement but because the floor is going to be flexy and things will start moving that should have been supported by that column so you're gonna start seeing (more) nail pops/drywall cracks/etc.

Awesome, thanks. There's nothing above it (closest is a lightweight couch about five feet away). I installed a replacement temp lally this morning just for my peace of mind until the foundation folks come in next week.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Hell yeah, just had a big pine tree fall on my house. Smashed the roof up good (I can't tell how good until the tree guy comes out again tomorrow as I don't have a way onto the roof, but the crown of the tree is still up there), took out some fascia/knocked some of the soffit loose, and knocked the propane tank over. I already called the propane company. They came came out and replaced the broken gas line and leveled the tank. The tree guy is coming out tomorrow to remove the fallen tree so that he can get to the roof. I'm going to be working with a public insurance adjuster who's been around for like thirty years and came recommended.

This is my first experience with this kind of situation. Just looking for some ballpark answers from anybody who's been through a similar experience -- what can I expect for the rest of the claims -> repair process, and what are the pitfalls to avoid?

edit for a picture

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 24, 2023

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

H110Hawk posted:

Don't work with a public adjuster. Don't sign. Try to unsign.

I cannot overstate how dumb that will be for you compared to just letting your insurance company fix it.

If you don't mind, can you go into some detail about this? Sorry, total babe in the woods here. I haven't signed yet, he's due out tomorrow.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Thanks for all the great info on the tree situation, fellas. I went without the PA and spoke directly with my agency who put me in touch with the insurance company, who sent out their own adjustor. She took some pictures, heard my story, and within a day they'd set up some roof contractors to tarp up the roof mid-next week (the tree guy is coming on Monday). I'll let you know how things turn out.

In January alone, I've had that Lally column in my crawlspace snap, a tree fall on my home, and I just tested positive for covid for the first time. 2023 is off to a resounding start.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 26, 2023

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Update on the tree saga:

Adjustor came out, I walked her through the damage. A couple days later she sent an estimate of repairs, noting, "Please see our enclosed estimate of repairs for the damages at your property. The charge for temporary tarping will be handled by [insurance company] to the contractor directly. Please provide a copy of your estimate to your contractor of choice. Should your contractor’s estimate come in higher, please submit it to me for review. Once repairs are complete, please submit your contractor’s final invoice and proof of payment for review of the recoverable depreciation."

The estimate states:

quote:

Please be advised that in accordance with your policy replacement cost provisions, your building claim has been settled on actual
cash value basis pending completion repairs and/or replacement of the damaged portions of the building. In accordance with
your policy conditions, recoverable depreciation in the amount of $3,469.21 has been applied to the building claim representing
the difference between the replacement cost of $22,317.23 and the actual cash value of $18,848.02. The ACV is before the
deductible of $2,500.00. In accordance with the aforementioned replacement cost Loss Settlement provisions of your policy, you
have 730 days from the date of loss to repair or replace the damaged building and to make a replacement cost claim under the
policy. The policy states that we will pay no more than the actual cash value of the damage unless actual repair or replacement is
completed and the policy states we will pay the least of the following amounts:

The limit of liability under this policy that applies to the building.
The replacement cost of the part of the building damaged for like construction and use on the same premises; or
The necessary amount actually spent to repair or replace the damaged building.

Therefore, in order to make replacement cost claim, you must allow us to re-inspect the building to confirm that repair or
replacement of the loss and damage has been completed and you must supply us with cancelled checks, credit card receipts used
to pay for repair and/or replacement the damaged building. All documents must be original. Photocopies will not be accepted.
Cash transactions must be verifiable by a cash register receipt.

So, a handful questions about this if any knowledgeable folks have answers:

1) Is the process for finding a contractor about the same as usual? Call around to a few different contractors, ask "Hey, so I had a tree fall on my house and have an estimate from my insurance company for repairs, would you be willing to take this on?"

2) There is roof/fascia/soffit damage, siding damage, and the bulkhead down into my crawlspace needs replaced. If the repairs involve two different contractors (e.g., one for the roof and the other for the siding), I'd imagine I just run that by my adjustor, right?

3) Will I get a bill for the deductible, or does that come out of the insurance payment?

4) I don't quite follow the idea of "recoverable depreciation" -- is that basically what the repairs add to the value of the house?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Awesome. Thanks for all the great advice, everyone. :discourse:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Had a skunk get stuck in a rusty hole and spray the gently caress out of my bulkhead. At ground zero skunk spray has an intensity that is almost industrial. This is in the middle of a new england winter so opening the windows means turning the heat down to about 45. Spent my Sunday bleaching and vinegaring my crawlspace and house.

I have owned this house for 1 year and 3 months. I'm so tired I hate houses

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I think it's a pretty straight-forward answer: do you have the money to buy the house, strip the house to the bones, remodel the house, and maintain the house?

If the answer is anything less than 4/4 yes, do not buy the dank house

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Crosspost from the landscaping thread:

Eason the Fifth posted:

My house is built perpendicular on a hillside and has a mossy stone trench on one side meant to keep the grade away from the foundation. (Picture below.) Someone put some big rocks in the trench and kinda lined the top but I'm wondering what I can do to blend the trench into the landscape or hide it in some way. Can i put a thin layer of gravel or decorative stone in there? Or what are some other options?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I think generally "risk of death" then "risk of damage" then "current ugly" is a pretty good order of operations

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Since we're on the topic: how safe is LP gas for household use like for the oven and dryer (specifically, compared to natural gas lines)?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Well, I live in MA, and back in 2018 we had natural gas explosions take out about forty homes in the Merrimack Valley. At the time I didn't think much about it because I was living in an apartment that didn't use gas, but I recently bought my first house and it came with a 120 gallon propane tank for the dryer and stove, and that got me to wondering the risk of having a tank of LP gas next to the house was just generally equivalent explosion-wise to the risk of natural gas and what happened up in North Andover. I mean, they're both obviously safe enough for millions of homes/apartments to use either kind for energy, but my kneejerk reaction is to say that natural gas access might be more dangerous compared to propane on account of e.g. the old piping/bad maintenance procedures that caused the explosions. But then again, if I have a hole in some copper tubing or something like that I don't know about and LP fills the house, I'd imagine that's just as dangerous. (edit for clarity: I don't know poo poo about gas)

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 22, 2023

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I'm so tired I hate contractors

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

nwin posted:

Ended up cutting down a big oak in our front yard after consulting with two arborists. It had a pretty hefty lean, and if it fell, it would have landed right in the septic system. Didn’t want to have a chance of spending tens of thousands on a septic when $3k took the tree down.

Luckily we did, because it was rotten from the inside. The guy who cut it was able to stand in the hole up to his waist, so probably 3-4’ down. The middle in the picture is just filled with the sawdust/wood chips from the cut.

The arborist cutting said there’s no way to tell how long it could have lasted like that, but I’m glad I don’t have to worry about it.

We’re trying to think of what to put in place of it but it seems like the area is hosed for a bit based on what I’ve read.

I just threw a couple wood bucket barrel planters on mine and landscaped around it. Doesn't too bad, and the flowers bring in bees and hummingbirds :3:

edit: Also had some birdfeeders there until a couple of adolescent black bears decided to order takeout :byobear:

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 30, 2023

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

*desperately trying to pay contractors with kites in good repair and dead rats and string*

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Sirotan posted:

I bet you could get a couple sick totem poles/sculptures made out of those stumps for a lot less than $10k that would also leave your hedge intact.

:hmmyes:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

DaveSauce posted:

Appliance IoT isn't about what's convenient for you.

The last ten years of my life has been me thinking "everything is poo poo these days and I don't want or need unnecessary features that can be disabled" and I can't tell if I'm just getting older and thinking like an old man or if things are, actually, much more stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Ham Equity posted:

I have the same dilemma, in that I'm not sure if things are, in fact, much worse, or if I'm just Grandpa Simpson yelling at clouds. I always felt like my parents hated technology because they didn't understand it, and I feel like I hate technology because I do understand it.

:hmmyes: