Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Rip March thread, taken before your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Only problem with W10 is Cortana hearing Russian and Googling random poo poo during Dota 2. She's obviously trying to get me to quit so it's not that big a deal.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Do we have any April Fools pieces from game companies yet?

Watchdogs 2

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

How so? I'm eyeing the update but haven't clicked yes.

So far I've only noticed that the drop-down menu used for quoting and poo poo has been replaced by a pop-up menu.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Tiger Millionaire posted:

I've ended up watching a Mario 64 120 star speed run

It's good that games can be enjoyed in lots of ways

Have you ever checked out the minimum jump runs. loving crazy. Especially half jumps.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I like to watch my brother stream games from before I knew videogames existed.

Also fun to watch pro Dota players stream and win with stupid builds.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

It's so nerdy and pointless that it loops around to being amazing.

My friend posted this to Facebook and it blew my mind while I simultaneously yelled Neeeeerd a la Homer Simpson to no one in particular.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

peace walker sucks dude

As someone who loved peacewalker. This is true.

Also, I would say 1-3 are the best games. 1 and 2 are equal imo because they both have different goals. 3 is the best in the series and is the only game needed before 5. 1,2,4 are their own time-line following solid snake. 4 has the best payoff in the second half, worst post game cinema though.

5 is the most fun to play. But man the story is unresolved, I'll be honest with you about that.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

cram me sideways posted:

You'll play MGS1 and 2 and be happy with the arcade stealth but then you'll put in loving MGS3 and great now the radar's loving useless and now you've got to worry about this camoflage bullshit and it's so goddamn slow and who are all these boring characters and ugh no so you move on to MGS4 and it's sixteen billion hours of Kojima's autism, just a loving slog of him smelling his own farts and yessir more weird boss battles i hope you like looking at a wet woman's rear end as she writhes on the floor and begs you to kill her heehee kojima-san you are a character!!! okay so how about MGS5 well by god it's more loving plodding godawful not fun stealth action where you have to sit still for a billion hours trying to loving plot out a route or whatever except OOPSIE you didn't notice one guard so now the whole mission's hosed; BETTER START AGAIN. oh yeah and vagina-bomb. BUT THAT'S OKAY BECAUSE YOU GET A DOGGY AND REVOLVER OCELOT DOES A FUNNY

Mgs3
1. You can go through the whole game in the starting olive drab (or naked, like a real Big Boss.
2. If you didn't like talking to Sigint about how you threw away his knife or being in a box or the sweet lever action of a Mosin, then that's cool. But Aspergers snake is way more interesting and unique than most characters.

Mgs 4
1. The cutscenes are all skipable if you don't enjoy that.
2. The beauties take up maybe 5 minutes all together. And The beasts are all typical MGS bosses.
3. If you didn't tear up at the metal gear fight or fist fight, smh.

1. It gives you so many options and tools that you'd have to be extremely dumb to have problems.
2. Womb bomb, way more symbolic.
3. I'm sorry you somehow suck at the easiest MGS stealth and decide to blame the core mechanics.

I will give you that Kojima writing isn't for everyone. And that the gratuitous sexualization of male and female characters is dissonant with the rest of the tone.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

CrashCat posted:

On the other hand you don't start with hardly any of them, and even when you get them the game goes like "no lol here's a straight damage battle, hope you did enough grinding to have the necessary DPS or you're gonna replay this forever"

And then when you "beat" the game you still have a shitton more grinding to do, so most people just won't even get the really cool poo poo

buuuuut people wanted more Peace Walker so that's what you get

The first dps battle is after you get D-Walker, who trivializes it. The next is the metal gear fight. So uhh?

To VideoGames:
If you have peacewalker, go ahead and try it. But all the story is recapped in GZ/5. And honestly the gameplay is a big downgrade because it was for PSP. Unless you really fall for the series, I wouldn't recommend buying it. Not that it's really bad, it's just grindy and really tailored to multiple short sessions on the train.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mistle posted:

If you ever get the urge to play again, make more codec calls, all the ones in 3 are great.

Especially re: food options

Thats cool, but how does it taste?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

This.
2 is the best bioshock game. None are good games though.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

How many more years have to pass before the Fallout/Bioshock/Mass Effect haters finally get tired of posting the exact same thing every time the offending game is mentioned.

Games with huge glaring flaws have their flaws discussed when the game is discussed. News at 11.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Level Slide posted:

Is the Mass Effect series still the face of good writing in western video games?

Even around the same time we had New Vegas. So no. Especially not now with all the story games and as mentioned Witcher 3.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
What I find funny about the whole trans in gaming thing is that no one talks about curie in FO4. Sure, not full trans. But she has a sexual identity even though she's a robot. I guess since she's a girl we(straight men) can ogle it's fine.

I think when the geck comes out I'll do a voiced model swap if I get the gumption. Male curie.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Am I missing something or isn't bigender:Guy (or girl) hermaphrodite:male (or female)?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Guys, you're all idiots, it's okay.

Come on, let's drink! We're drinking now, get your warm rear end beer. gently caress this beer is warm and it is rear end.

Nice part of the mountains is having an outdoor fridge.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Manky posted:

Actually it has more than one, and I prefer not to be narrow minded!

e:

Oh jeez, sorry about that. Talk about narrow minded! I'll try to avoid that bias in future posts :doh: there I go again!

adjective (not comparable)
1. (narrowly) Having a gender (identity) which is different from the sex one was assigned at birth, i.e. being assigned male at birth but having a female gender or vice versa; or, pertaining to such people. (Comparetranssexual, and the following sense.)
2. (broadly) Not identifying with culturally conventional gender roles and categories of male or female; having changed gender identity from male to female or female to male, or identifying with elements of both, or having some other gender identity; or, pertaining to such people. (Compare genderqueer, transsexual, and transvestite.)

The first does not apply because all signs point to them being a hermaphrodite, and they clearly identify with both genders.

The second is a broad usage and therefore shouldn't be used if a narrow word is applicable to prevent miscommunication. In this case, they are bigender. In addition, it's pretty rude to call someone trans if they have their own gender identity.

This is why I keep a dictionary on my phone.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Would or would not bang this anime character?

While I already know he has male genitalia, it is a no regardless. Looks twelve.

Just like how I don't find nu laura croft attractive because she looks like a teenager.

Mistle posted:

This is funny, because Microsoft went from "consoles sold" to "XBL user activity" as a metric for success.

You're absolutely right, of course, but still, if a corporate entity is using unique user presence as a metric for business, then it still counts.

Somehow. :shrug:

1300 copies of Bad Rats.

:chord:

I would say the users actually playing your dumb console is a better metric than units sold since the latter doesn't include resale or returns.

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 6, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

bloodychill posted:

It would be if they didn't dilute it by counting playing windows 10 store games including solitaire and freecell as "xbox engagement." Well, externally anyway. If they're lying to themselves about platform engagement internally, they're loving stupid. This on the other hand

is a brilliant response.

Haha, that's hilariously dumb, i did not know they did that. I assumed it was xbox live use on Xbox Ones.

And ty. Also apologies to fictional character Bridget for assuming he identifies as a girl. I don't play fighting games.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Song names don't always mean something, 8-Bit Scholar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-pdpqSn0AI

https://youtu.be/DkTYXF0_d-w

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Those fuckers keep coming to Denver between my paychecks.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I have a touchscreen monitor. I miss W8.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Electric Lady posted:

I swear they talk about Tauros steaks in that S.S. Anne episode.

That would be against pokemon usage guidelines.

I recall Brock making tons of fruit sandwiches and filled rice balls

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

It is a niche series and it is ok that not everyone likes it, as with many niches.

A niche doesn't really refer to a market mainstay, nor something that sells so well across platforms.

You are technically right though because videogames is a niche market so every videogame could be considered niche.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Tried out some Banner Saga tonight. Very pretty, cool world, story seems okay.

You know what i loving hate? Enforced tutorials in strategy games that put you in lovely tactical spots.
You know what else I hate? No engagement mechanics. Yeah, that enemy walking along not one, not two, but 6 movement squares next to my units? No punishment whatsoever. Unless you count the punishment of my low armor guy getting hosed by being behind his allies.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Dear Kult,

Paralyzation is not a fun gameplay feature in single player games. gently caress off.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Been really enjoying Heretic Kingdoms:shadows. I've been craving Diablo since I played D3 on my brothers PS4. And this game is hitting all the right spots without Blizzard pricing.

Also ran into a weird glitch with a character who uses two handed weapons. I got a weird 2hander, and it fucks with the attack speed so instead of hitting every second or so, his attack speed is .2.
My highest dps is floating around 650, his dps is 958 or something stupid.

I'll try and get a video.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

Darksiders 2 is on Sale for 5 bucks, with a free copy of Darksiders 1.

Also I'm just gonna loving say it, I liked Kingdoms of Amalur and I think you will, too. The skill system is laid out well, and is totally rad. By the midgame can be an earthquake generating warlord, a meteor-summoning wizard, or a backstabbing, fan of knives hucking thief, or a combination of any of those. Wanna swing enchanted fiery swords, whatever, that's lame. You wanna be a teleporting assassin that stomps out earthquakes, hell yeah you do.

Also I mostly remember that I beat the tutorial level then immediately had to flee from a pack of wolves. They hosed me up, man! Wolves are mean!

Added bonus for the Lizzard, iirc one of the development leads was also a big player in developing Oblivion. Or maybe it was a writer?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

amalur is a lot like oblivion in that it's piss easy at all times and has good music

Also all the characters are ugly and all the elves are assholes. It really makes you feel right at home.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So I finished "book 1" of ashadows: Heretic Kingdoms.

It's really fun and I'd recommend it to everyone that likes wrpgs or Diablo 3 ( I've never played 1/2 but 3 seems more actiony)

That said, it has some bugs, and some weird decisions made by the now defunct publisher. Luckily the devs are still at it and really responsive to the community. I'm really looking forward to the next book.

Gameplay wise it's awesome. One of my big complaints about most rpgs is how the combat gets monotonous. But you have two main characters in different worlds you can switch between, and two bonus puppets in meat space.
You get 3 choices for the mc, rogue wizard, fighter. Then multiple choices for the other puppets, a wolf berzerker, a zombie covered in iron, a Lizard man wizard, a mute archer/bomber, and either a wasp or a treant.

There's just tons of fun switching between dudes on the fly, some enemies exist in the shadow world only, some meat space, but Demons and wizards exist in both so theres some neat dynamics to how you approach situations.

The only real complaints I have are about the enemy placement, since there's not much challenge in it, just a mob of dudes all in one spot really. As well as some content gated for physical copy only without any in game notification that no, you can't open that door ever.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

book 2 is never going to come out

Considering that they're still working on the rework of 1, this is probably true, but I can dream.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Level Slide posted:

There was a minor character in a recent Baldur's Gate expansion who mentioned being transsexual in passing.

Oh poo poo, I didn't know that was actually changed.

Wait, the devs gave in to the vocal minority hate group? Wtf.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
hosed up that having a second job is grounds for termination.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

ah dammit

all my research

*sweeps scholarly Buck Bumble research papers off desk in disgust*

Your research sucked anyways, both bioshock game and mgs 3 featured weaponized hornets/wasps

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

oddium posted:

hmm, do i believe the pain who calls them bees, or you, who is a clown, and a baby

I could've sworn a codec or the pain referred to them as hornets. If they are bees that's hosed up because bees lose their stingers and die.

Also hornets are cooler because they're the closest of all hymenoptera formicidae to their rad ancestors.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

True only of honey bee workers. Other species of bees and honey bee queens do not lose their stings.

Incorrect. There are many more basal groups. In fact hornets are among the most derived of the hymenoptera.

It's me. I'm the biologist posting in the video games thread.

Fuuuuck i am undone.

Most of my knowledge of the wasps and bees and sawflies comes from casually studying the best hymenoptera of all, Ants.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Viewtiful Joe is actually loving amazing and remains one of the better games in its genre (even if future Hideki Kamiya games ended up being even more awesome) so I'm glad he didn't listen to stupid butthead testers.

He specifically ignored advice from kids. Which is totally good since kids haven't developed taste and are still usually in the "Loves super popular thing because the marketing is good or just following" or " thinks everything popular is bad" stage of their life.

People who never grow out of these are "casuals" or "grognards". Both are won over by marketing so basing design around them is terrible.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Bleh
I need to see something good about the fighting game community.

From a few pages back but the fg community is one of the most inclusive gaming communities for race/gender. Obviously since it's a gaming community it's not a high standard to pass and it's mostly good on the race front. But if I recall correctly there's a pro trans player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

bloodychill posted:

The fg community is generally great about that kind of thing. They just also tend to be really bad about sportsmanship and are probably the ragiest gamers outside FPS's.

This is kind of expected though, in my experience fighting games cause anger even when prize money or pride isn't on the line.

• Locked thread