Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

Alan Lake was amazing.

hey man I really like your av

anyway dark souls 3 is going to be hella good, and with final fantasy 15 and persona 5 this year too it's gonna be a fun year for japanese rpgs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The ninja fight and everything leading up to it is good

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jay Rust posted:

I can't believe I defended Fallout 4 :(

It's massively better than Fallout 4, the combat and exploration (the two things you do the most in a Bethsoft game) are better

It's actually better than New Vegas at least wrt combat, but NV has its own set of advantages (things like writing and dialogue that aren't terrible)

All of the 3D Fallout games are 1) fun enough to play once and 2) overrated by their respective fans

Lurdiak posted:

Live a Live is a very flawed game but it's also loving awesome and everyone should play it.

It's pretty difficult to put up with, but I like Romancing Saga 3 and that series is terrible, so

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

net cafe scandal posted:

This. Flawed games are a mathematical waste of time

I feel like ppl who think like that probably didnt play more than an hour of Nier and I'm sad of it

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Man Whore posted:

I am like the only betheda fan on earth so I will be happy whatever it is

this is a weird thing to say, all of their first-person RPGs sell a billion copies

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

LawfulWaffle posted:

Enter the Gungeon is a fun game and both the criticisms leveled at it in this thread recently are, I can't think of the word, stupid?

BAD NEWS ABOUT THIS THREAD, FRIEND

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
meemaw's memes

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Mann posted:

Besides, it's yet another indie roguelite which means people are gonna gush about it for a week and then spend the next year complaining about how unbalanced and poo poo it is just like they did with every other one.

so like, you're trying to get ahead of the curve by complaining about it sooner?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Adam Bowen posted:

Tell us more about how you wish death on totalbiscuit
-TB

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sweet, congrats to the winners!

When should we expect the new tags, VG?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jay Rust posted:

Academia depends on clear definitions

and academics and scientists have the exact same problems and debates all the time when new research, observations, discoveries, etc reveal that their taxonomies are inadequate to describe reality, something that happens constantly in art and media because a lot of creators actively try to defy them

Broseph Brostar posted:

Remember when people used to complain about explosive barrels in the same breath as crate pushing and turret segments?

vagrant story is good no matter what the frontpage says.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
we've all had a good laugh. now let's be serious: dark souls 3 is pretty... pretty good.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cardboard Box A posted:

They also do not understand proper usage of the word "waifu" apparently.

trap sprung gwehe

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
the whole "what did she expect it's a children's toy company" line is pretty funny in the context of why everybody decided they hated her to begin with lol

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jay Rust posted:

everyone have a good weekend? what's the next game to look forward to? what game will make 2016 even better than it already is?

persona

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

how much crying people do about all the internet references oh god they said something from the internet what a terrible thing!!!!

there were people on this forum who complained about the sunlight covenant in dark souls 2 because solaire and praising the sun and all that poo poo were "memes"

which originated in the previous game in the same series that took place in the same world

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Palpek posted:

If I get a PS4 now what games are must-haves besides Bloodborne?

There's a lot of possibly awesome RPGs coming out if you're into JRPG stuff

New Nier, Ni No Kuni, Persona

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The way to know if a person will like Nier 2 or Persona 5 is if they have good taste...........

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jordan7hm posted:

My son did stumble upon some videos of people opening toy boxes. Not playing with them. Just opening them. These videos get millions of views, they post dozens a week.

That is a weird rabbit hole of internet to go down.

people make these for taking their copies of videogames out of the package and stuff, especially special editions

tons of people watch them

I don't get it even wrt the consumer society thing

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
sunbroing vordt is a bummer because people will summon your sl20 rear end for dancer and then do even less damage than you do and

edit: thought this was the dks3 thread, works in here 2

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

DS3 is the new game, expect people to defend it religiously. Better than the crap that was bloodborne but still not as good as ds2.

I don't know that I've ever seen anybody express this viewpoint before

corn in the bible posted:

itt people forget you get a ring that stops you losing most of your health in demons souls

Dark Souls 1 actually had the harshest death penalty because iirc there was no Cling Ring equivalent, which existed in both Demon's and Dark 2

Of course it made up for this by having it be real easy to farm humanity (you could even get liquid humanity to do so from just killing any mob) and in a lot of ways Dark Souls was actually the easiest game in the entire five game franchise

They're all good games tbqh, with different strengths and failings, but I still think the first DkS is my favorite

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

this is kind of funny but it's a stupid "point" bc the guy in the video has 5 weapon skill which is less than you have starting the game in most cases and is clearly only not being instantly killed bc of godmode or something

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'll not get it unless it goes on sale for $20 or something, which it never will because Nintendo first party

I will support Platinum and the Wii-U by finally buying Bayonetta 2 instead

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
maybe the reason people have different standards and ideas about what a metroid sequel and a star fox sequel should be is that super metroid is a great game that's stood the test of time and star fox 64 isn't

I mean, that's how I feel, so I'm not sure how being hype about a super metroid retread and annoyed by a star fox 64 retread would make me a hypocrite for ex

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

starfox 64 owns

it's pretty fun and i don't begrudge you that, when a buddy brought an n64 to the local practice space a while back it was the game i played besides mario

but i get the urge to replay super metroid or mario 3 like once a year and i've never played sf64 for any reason other than "it's there" so i just do not have the love in my heart...

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

didn't dark souls 2 have that as well, with the transition from the gutter to the place below the gutter?

kinda, the gutter was more like upper blighttown or 5-1 in demon's (just ramshackle huts, narrow wood walkways, etc) and black gulch played differently from the normal swamp areas and was one of the worst levels they've ever designed (either you run to the boss in 10 seconds ignoring poison darts or meticulously kill the dart shooting statues one by one advancing at snail pace)

dark souls 2 didn't really have the token swamp level

i guess amana was kind of that but with guys who shoot homing missiles instead lol

Baku fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 23, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

speaking of the new star ocean, what is the worst video game outfit

square enix is gonna go far in this race

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I really liked Bully, there's a lot of ways you can gently caress up a game about being a highschool kid (too precious, too malicious, etc) and for the most part it does a good job of hitting the right notes

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

Good lord, of all the things you'd think they'd change in TP HD, I'm really shocked they didn't remove the thing where Midna yells at you if you try to shapeshift in front of an NPC. poo poo's worse than Professor Oak yelling at me about my bike.

they should make you buy the option to turn it off with rupees like the sail in wind waker hd

owns.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Steve2911 posted:

Every MOBA outside of the big three will fail within months. They are moneyholes for everyone involved.

The New MMORPGs

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Being a "Jolly Catarina" guy in Dark Souls 1 made you a black guy but in Dark Souls 3 it just kind of makes you Trump orange

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Wizard posted:

someone left their copy of pokemon x lying around on campus. guess i own pokemon x now.

bookmarked, looking forward to where this creepypasta goes

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I checked Steam to see if it had any old Wizardry games up and Wizardry 6 is on sale for 150% off

pretty mad they won't give me $2.50 to take it

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

theultimo posted:

That's why I watched the movie double down last night, Neil Breen makes me laugh and no one appreciates him. thanks for reminding me

*knocks laptop and a bunch of books off my desk*

gently caress you pal

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

someone was really proud of their kevin bacon and last action gyro puns but didn't have nearly enough puns to fill out the rest of a menu

Gimmick sandwich naming is one of those things I've never understood. I figure it started with like "oh John Wayne famously likes the BLT, so we'll call it the John Wayne" or like local delis naming a house special after a regular, but when I go in a restaurant and they have a sandwich menu that's a million things like "Charlie Chaplin - fried pickles, deli ham, spicy mustard" I don't know what the gently caress to think

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm playing the original UNCENSORED version of Castlevania where they didn't pander to American prudes by removing all the crosses from gravestones.

I always thought it was weird that games like Dragon Quest had crosses in them in the Japanese version to start with. I guess they really love Jesus in Alefgard.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Again, I don't know why you think this is so strange. Have you not seen an actual cemetary?

No. I've literally never seen a cemetery.

I'm just saying it's a little weird to take a symbol overwhelmingly associated with the largest real-world religion and have it just happen to be the universal symbol for religion in every videogame. It's obviously design shorthand so the player can recognize a church in the game world or whatever, and in games like Castlevania it's even tonally/thematically appropriate, I just think it's kinda funny.

FirstAidKite posted:

it bugs me when companies feel like they have to remove religious symbolism.

It's weird. In most of the older games where they did that, like the RPGs and Castlevania games I've been talking about, those symbols were pretty directly associated with good things and the good guys. And then in games where you're killing God and the church is the bad guy or whatever, I don't know why removing the crosses without changing a line of dialogue would somehow make it inoffensive.

It reminds me of D&D falling prey to a moral panic over being about demons and black magic and stuff, despite the fact that most of that content was very explicitly intended to be villains for the players to fight, and then TSR responded in 2nd edition AD&D by making up gobbledy-gook fantasy words instead of saying "demon" or "devil" when naming monsters. But the monsters were still just demons, and they were still mostly just badguys anyway.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
People would be furious about Cyan speaking in bad Elizabethan English instead of using Japanese honorifics or however the gently caress he's characterized in the original script

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

lol if you think people didn't get mad over stuff like that back in the day

Sakurazuka posted:

It was just harder to co-ordinate anger

I'm sure, but the coordinated anger, constant feedback, and radicalizing circlejerks are what make that stuff dangerous instead of funny, different culture; I feel like somebody probably would have tried to blow up Victor Ireland's office if Working Designs was still translating major releases the way he translated games like Lunar

Quest For Glory II posted:

now im playing warioware touched. im at ashleys minigames

IT HAS SINGING

I only ever played the GC Warioware, which is freaking epic, and the Wii one, which is... not

• Locked thread