Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

I just hope covenants work well. Half the covenants in 2 were broken as poo poo, and covenants in BB were mostly useless.

Won't be a Souls game if you can't eventually get through the whole of the content and start invading as an endgame-accomplished soul level 1

Lurdiak posted:

That joke doesn't work when you use in-game footage instead of idiots in bad costumes.

the VHS-esque A/V effects were spot on, though, and my life was made better for it :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

I only ever made like three codec calls in MGS3.

If you ever get the urge to play again, make more codec calls, all the ones in 3 are great.

Especially re: food options

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

Snake didn't die.

Snake dies. Snake lives
Both true?!?

:kojima:

Lurdiak posted:

That's all well and good but I mean I considered actually creating such mods, due to there not really being anything worth discussing out there.

Fairly sure someone already nerded out and added Hotuko Shinken/Fist of the North Star to every Bethesda game to date. Maybe not the same person, maybe they posted it on Nexus, not sure, but I remember there being one for F3, New Vegas, Oblivion, and Skyrim, all with varying degrees of Mary Sue overpowered goodness.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I looked into it and the fallout ones are various kinds of completely unfinished, hideous and buggy.

No super punching action on Fallout 4?
A true wasteland.

corn in the bible posted:

it won't be, though. sony funded, just like demon's souls

Entirely possible for BB to hit PC, but I'd expect another year or so, once the PS4k starts tapering significantly in sales.

LawfulWaffle posted:

The first boss I fought (and I imagine that the bosses are randomly picked from a pool) was a muscle-bound bird with a chaingun and ammo drum. He was named Gattlin' Gull, and when he died, a pack of ravens descended upon him and left no trace.

Kojima or not, I can't hate a good game reference, especially when it's in another game :3:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm glad to see you're stupid enough to believe this is the problem.

Well, it is a problem, but more that it's a symptom of the actual issue.

Gaming opinion herd mentality helps good game ideas stick around, and help kill off bad game ideas, e.g., QB for the xbone is doing better than Halo 5 in consistent Twitch viewership, in disappointing fewer of its fanbase, and wouldn't be surprised if it does better overall, particularly because the UWP will count toward sales, I think.

The actual issue is that game producers use the herd mentality, and not regarding the actual game; they emulate the marketing and sales strategies while ignoring the game mechanics and content that people play.

Jay Rust posted:

What other games have trans characters? Is this really the first one or something?

It's a new issue, and given technology and the speed at which hot-button issues spread, its onset will be faster than the interracial or homosexuality issues of generations past.

I want to say that was initially a miscommunication thing, but it definitely is what it is now :eyepop:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

"doing better than ____ in consistent Twitch viewership"

I glad twitch can now be used as a measuring device to tell me how good a game is.

One of many metrics, and given that twitch is videogames-while-not-playing-videogames, I'd say it's entirely relevant. It's the new word-of-mouth, and helps immerse a fan into the franchise when they're not actively playing it, or it might make a sale where there wasn't one.

Then again, it might break a sale where there might have been one.

Lizard Wizard posted:

the point is don't conflate trans people for hermaphrodites holy poo poo dude

Maybe it's a complex issue that games can refer to, but people can debate argue about elsewhere? v:v:v

But that goes to the point: a lot of exposure of the issue, but comparatively little info going with it.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

Twitch is lame, watching others play video games is lame on the internet, donating money to people playing video games on the internet is lame, donating money to people to watch people playing video games on the internet is lame.

What about couch watching someone play?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

Couch watching is cool, so is pass playing ie changing on death or if death is basically impossible some other metric so the other people also get to play.

On that,
:agreed:

Some games are good to watch, though, and some people are good to watch play, and the internet is not the most ideal, I'll be the first to admit.

But I'll listen to their hot takes on a game over a "games journalist" paid shill any day.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Judging a game's popularity based on Twitch viewers is even worse than judging a show's popularity based on people livetweeting while it airs, because at least Twitter is socially acceptable.

This is funny, because Microsoft went from "consoles sold" to "XBL user activity" as a metric for success.

You're absolutely right, of course, but still, if a corporate entity is using unique user presence as a metric for business, then it still counts.

Somehow. :shrug:

1300 copies of Bad Rats.

:chord:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

dip it in that non-conductive oil they use to supercool computers. just spit balling

Mineral oil. It's industrial application stuff, so you can probably order a whole drat drum of it if you were inclined.

net cafe scandal posted:

Does anyone know how to fix a squeaky/creaky d-pad on a Dualshock 3

Dpad is on a material with conductive contacts, so if it's creaking/squeaking, either the dpad is misaligned or something else is in there. Clean it out, and if you can, check the rubbery pad under the hard plastic; if that tore, it might make the dpad rub against the housing. Both require taking the controller apart, unfortunately.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

thehoodie posted:

Is Dungeon of the Endless any good? It's on my steam wishlist for some reason and is now on sale.

It's definitely roguelike. It's a reasonable mix of hero+tower defense action, but with a bunch of random elements. Sometimes you get completely shat on by the RNG, sometimes you get a sweet chain of fortunate events.

Personally, if you're not much for the roguelike difficulty or the concept of any flavor of "tower defense" disgusts you, it would be something to avoid. Otherwise, I'd put it reasonably good/worth a good sale price

Quest For Glory II posted:

e3 is getting close enough (9 weeks away) that companies are now talkin about it

On June 12, Bethesda will shine the spotlight on its upcoming lineup of games. But this is no ordinary Showcase. Along with new gameplay and electrifying updates, we’ve evolved BE3, adding a whole new part to the event: BE3 Plus. Immediately after the Showcase ends, attendees will enjoy a special Bethesda E3 experience, complete with game demos, hosted interviews and a variety of food and drinks. And, for those in attendance, we’ve even got a top-secret band taking the stage at 9pm PDT. You won’t want to miss their performance!

a band curated by Bethesda....

Ah, to be a "video game journalist" and get food, drinks, gaming, and a band while attending something that's tax-deductible under "work related expenses" :allears:

On second thought, I remembered just how much brown-nosing goes into modern games journalism these days...

... and I'm a skeleton with very high standards

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nothing beats trolling like dev-level trolling :allears:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

Cool! I'll either play it at work/on the bus or hotseat it at home.

I think it's fine to use a guide sometimes for adventure games, I know for some parts of Grim Fandango we had to crack open a guide.

E: In other news I saw a game pitch from SquareEnix's Collective thing
http://collective.square-enix.com/projects/220/moonlighter#pitch

You run a item shop and also go dungeoneering for items to sell. Looks interesting but I actually wonder if it's just worth it to pick up Recettear even though the anime-ness repels me.

For its age, Recettear has aged rather well. It was all coded by one guy and he apparently was really helpful with the localized version. It runs incredibly well unless you have a big system-wide issue(like not being able to run win32 at all), it should have no issue, though with steam refunds technical application failure is made painless by getting your money back.

You could do worse with your money, is what I'm saying. And if "Moonlighter" wants to be some kind of spiritual successor, it has a considerable climb to make.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Recettear was fun but the dungeon crawling and item crafting was the worst kind of tedious grinding, where if you wanted to make higher-level items to sell you would have to grind piles of rare items that only some enemies dropped some of the time on a few specific floors of each randomized interchangeable dungeon.

Also despite the premise seeming to be satirical or at least tongue-in-cheek it's mostly just a dull generic anime fantasy world played disappointingly straight with a few Disgaea-ish item descriptions for humor.

I completely forgot about the itemgrind, it's honestly been ages since I sat down and played it. But in my defense, the game worked, bugs were rare(if at all), and the controls were responsive. I think the only other poo poo thing about the game is art lady breaking your fat merchant combo with the best item in stock.

For an 08(?) game if also had endless mode, in case you wanted your disgaea-esque grinding to go until you fail

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

That video led me to discover that they made a Lupin III game for PS2 and, uh, 3d does not do that art style any favors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGzlMCq-YAc

Just be glad it was before bloom and cel-shading, I guess. But I think cel-shading might have done a good job given the style.

Nonetheless

FirstAidKite posted:

Lupin III is so good

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

The answer to all these questions is "I am lazy as gently caress" and wanted the easiest and fastest possible solution.

I am definitely never pre-ordering from amazon ever again though. I've pre-ordered exactly two games in my life, Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3. Neither of them arrived on release day despite saying they would when I ordered them.

Is this Amazon without the Prime?

As I hear, having Prime means they'll comp things and/or give you bonus goodies because they hosed up, like a $10 gift card for missing a day-1 delivery, even if it's by a day and their fault(because they mail those out early I think). Might be worth it if you order lots.

Comrade Fakename posted:

The rumour is that this is the map from Red Dead Redemption 2:

The south-west of the map is actually the north-east of the original RDR map.

This looked like a map of China at first glance

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

that's a silly way to go about things

actually i'm surprised nobody has made an HDMI TO TWITCH box like those straight to usb capture things

I feel like this is a thing that a Raspberry Pi will be doing, if not already

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

NTT posted:

I dont have another thread to put this in so have a plays.tv video

http://plays.tv/video/571201d906a271784e/playing-with-my-food

If there's one thing I learned from my day way back when playing Worms on pentium-based machines, is that grenades bounce and are great for indirect-reach purposes.

Having fun with game is good, though.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm gonna see if "disable start bias" fixes it.

"Disable start bias" is more for certain civilizations to not get a region fitting their abilities, like Polynesia not being in the middle of Pangaea. Some Civs are more inclined to have jungle and forest tile nearby, and if you're playing as one without turning off start bias, it's going to happen. Which Civ are you playing as to land all these jungles and forests?

Also I have yet to play a game where Alexander of Greece wasn't a complete rear end in a top hat, "random personality" or not.

Mistle fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 19, 2016

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box A posted:

The best animations in the history of gaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hpTgbC-Jn0

What bothers me about this is the logic to it:
zombies in Antarctica, outside, why have they not frozen solid?

BBG went full-on "weird codec calls while in the jejunum of Arsenal Gear"

Though I agree with all of them, there's a glaring flaw to each situation that keeps me from agreeing without hesitation.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

wow uh... does it really matter that they're japanese ??

What I meant is Kamiya had a good idea with VJ, but asking kids? Whether children or manchildren, their opinion is about as useful as a bag of dogshit on your doorstep.

Kojima didn't elaborate on coders changing his intent. Sometimes developers ask for the impossible, or to bend a system just to make a vision work(the ice cubes in MGS2). Mentioning Snatcher seems to make it slightly dated, so I think that might have been a case of technical limitations way back when, and he's been jaded ever since.

And Itagaki just sounds like a dick, but it would be perfectly justified if his team or he actually played through it first. The situation where even the game devs can't beat their own game is artificial difficulty, and bad design.

They all did good things, but even so, there's room for improvement, even if it's just a matter of perception.

Palpek posted:

I'm sure everybody in this thread waited for the new game from Hatred devs - IS Defense: http://store.steampowered.com/app/448370/

As expected it starts with an Omaha Beach level.

More amazing is that despite it's political message, it might sell gangbusters on gameplay alone

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

That's not the point? I'm not talking about it making the game hard, I'm talking about how the game and the player interact.

I think the point people are making is "default" vs "changed"
DaS2 is a max health reduction of 5% up to 50%. But you're saying that embered in DaS3 is a bonus. Seems disingenuous to compare a positive spin on a positive to a negative spin on a negative.

For fairness, you'd have to compare the max health for embered to the max health for restored humanity. In that instance, the "bonus" isn't actually a bonus. On the other hand, comparing the hollowed status to the unembered status means DaS2 is more forgiving unless you're bad at not dying, then DaS3 is better, because it has less % for deaths 1-5, but same or more for 6+

For what it's worth, you couldn't get past the tutorial/prologue in Demon's Souls without dying(in a most spectacular fashion, if you're good), and you didn't start out with the HP ring, so "default" HP was 50% of being alive. Or, if you spin it, being alive is 200% health increase.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Whenever someone says Dark Souls 2 is worse than DS1 I associate them with this video and want to punch them really hard.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

Hello everyone. I just now discovered Crypt of the Necrodancer (I've heard the name for a while but never took the time to look it up) and it is awesome. And hard.

The soundtrack is dope as hell, but being able to put in custom music means I was soon slaying monsters to Nicki Minaj

Only thing is finding songs with strong, prominent beats that are also consistent.

But the warbling merchant is the maybe the best part about the stock soundtrack: Freddie Merchantry

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think the only thing that the WiiU could have done with Star Fox that they haven't before is a workable co-op, given there's two screens.

Am I the only one who would have liked to rearrange a couch, sit long ways, and co-op some space jet flying shooter game?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Not Quantum a Break though, for some reason

We end up discussing that end of May, early June, but "something something time warping" and "beta testing in the future".

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

I liked SC2 because Raphael could just push his opponent to the edge of the stage and then throw them off over and over and over until your friend Jason unplugs the PS2.

This, but it was Kilik with his super long pole and the absurd range.

In Training posted:

Link was brokenly OP because he's like the only person in the game with a projectile and the charged version was unblockable. I wonder if Nintendo asked them to do that on purpose

Yoshimistsu could heal mid-match if you gave him the time of day.

At first, I read that(appropriately) as "amazon.cu.ck"

I'm wondering if this hits PC games, or if the competition from Steam is such that they can't afford to paywall those items. And honestly, if your primary source of games is amazon, having prime is a good value.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dr Cheeto posted:

That looks like my kind of stuff, too bad the game got panned and nobody bought it.

I'm half inclined to reinstall Payday 2 just for co-op shootmans shenanigans, but then I remember the reason I uninstalled it: updates every other day, making GBS threads on UI/QoL/aesthetic mods with false positives for cheating, poor difficulty balance... I actually got out shortly before the whole microtransactions/safe-and-drill nonsense.

They're still bad with nickel and dime DLC, though.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box A posted:

Yes, they're zombie horde games with the cops acting as zombies.

Some of the maps in Payday 2 offer an extra level of planning and customization - such as choosing specific escape routes, purchasing ammo drops and sniper backup, stealth options, etc., but they are absolutely not "get shot once and you die so be careful" games like Rainbow Six.

More on this: some levels can be done without "triggering the alarm" and getting all the cops, but it's difficult and can go bad rather quick. Some levels are automatically "alarmed" by design, and at least one is "alarm = fail". Why sneak? You can get more done faster; if the alarm does go off, you're that much further through objectives, and that much closer to completion.
It has a considerable amount of customization for skills and weapons, but last I played, certain weapons with certain designs were "top tier" and everything else was cruft with regards to the hardest difficulties, same with skills. It's to note that the first game was essentially a game mutation for Left 4 Dead, complete with special enemies, waves, and decent(but predictable) AI.

I think the worst part of all of this is that the overall arc was sympathetic to the African oppression, but the imagery was not well managed.

Evil company comes in, runs roughshod all over impoverished African locales, and the locals are taken by a fast-moving infection brought about by moneyed interests. Evil company exploits African cultures and riches for profit, a native people are essentially exterminated, and advanced ancient culture is lost.

The changes were "We made the zombies multicultural! :haw: " and it didn't do much, but "it's enough :shrug: "

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

I'd play a British Sitcom episodic adventure game

idgaf which sitcom, there are plenty to choose from

The problem with Britcoms is, somewhere between 15 to 30% of it will be done as a one-sided telephone conversation :britain:

Phantasium posted:

How the original Deus Ex handles it's multiple choice ending is really loving cool.

You get to the final area and keep getting handed different objectives by the multiple factions in the game, and if you start doing an objective for one faction the others start yelling at you to change your mind which you can totally do up until you finish one.

I felt this lost its punch in Deus Ex 2 because a bunch of things didn't matter for the final ending, and unless you made all the anti-faction choices, they were on the table at the end. But then again, Deus Ex 2 :shrug:

I honestly don't remember the ending to Deus Ex 1, even though I beat it on two separate occasions.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

I wish they would make Metal Wolf Chaos sequels their Thing

I would settle for a not-serious Armored Core spinoff, but I'm on board with this.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This is better than it has any right to be. I love the retro future aesthetic.

:same:

exquisite tea posted:

Why is this dumb game only coming out for PS4.

I'd like to point out that Helldivers was in the same boat: PSN game.

It is on Steam as well :getin:

Golden Goat posted:

Really? A lot of stuff breaks aggro from me if I run back far enough.
I think if you do enough damage a lot of enemies will then start breaking out of their aggro range to chase you, usually if you take them below 60-70%.

Though I think dropping off ledges fucks with them a bit. The first Black Knight I killed because dropping off a ledge just made him completely lose me so just kept doing it and shooting him in the back of the head when he lost aggro.

The "Doran Strategy"

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

The best final fantasy is mystic quest

I think anyone who hasn't played it should play this, it does great things and can maybe convince the non-jrpg folks to consider turn-based strategy. Plus, there's no random fights and you can lean on the assist member hard if need be, but the game has great music, good turn-based play, and the quintessential "four crystals" plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUGDp39srk0

I still have this on cart at home, it was a choice find after being pigeonholed for several years.

That's too much, I'm done. :roflolmao:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box A posted:

FF8 remains the best FF by the metric of being able to beat it at level 1

As I recall, the minimum for getting through the game was like level 14? And that's the absolutely necessary boss fights.

Also, if you had a mind to cheat the Chocobo world and absolutely grind out the Seifer/Edea member sequences, you could squander hundreds of hours getting almost everything maxed without the main characters getting a single XP

bloodychill posted:

I don't remember the story at all but I do remember thinking the final boss fight with all his arms and the final boss music were the most awesome thing in a video game since the final boss sequence in Final Fantasy 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMYXYewC0Y0

theultimo posted:

Play 9, its actually a good release

7 is dog poo poo on PC

The story of why was quite interesting, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

Why bother and ban thousands of cheaters from your game when overwatch will just take them away for you anyway?

So much money in the hat market that if Valve doesn't crack down in the face of obvious opportunity, it might jeopardize the whole arrangement.

• Locked thread