Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Unfunny Poster posted:

I thought he tried to get a real money fund started on Goonfleet for his "sick wife" and then just turned into PLEX to gamble on IWI?

apparently his wife actually was sick, but he probably gambled away the money from that gofundme as well - in all fairness though, it seems it was eve-bet rather than IWI. Still a hosed-up story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Landsknecht posted:

IMO the best outcome for ccp would be to go to the IWI guys and offer to buy back all their isk at something like $2USD/bil

IWI guys get real returns, and ccp would get a great isk sink for less than the cost of a dev

While it's debatable if the current gaming sites violate the law doing that would certainly violate the law.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Eminai posted:

Not only would that violate the law, but doing that would also open up a lot of normal EVE activity (like suicide ganking) to prosecution, as it would establish ISK (and therefore everything in EVE) as something that has an actual dollar value.

That's not true, because the rules of a game can allow you to do things that would generally be illegal if you consent to them by playing the game. If you tackled someone in a way that's legal in football outside a football game that'd be illegal, but it's not when playing a football game.

You'd have one hell of a problem filing your taxes though if the $2/billion was open to everyone.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Landsknecht posted:

wouldn't there be some kind of workaround? like how pachinko parlors in Japan use prizes which are bought back next-door?

Gambling laws in the US are written very broadly specifically to avoid these sort of workarounds (which is why they're so broad eve gambling sites are arguably illegal).

Landsknecht posted:

it would be an interesting proposition? couldn't you file it as freelance/non-regular income?

I don't know what american taxes are like, but here in Canada I just dump everything I get for freelance writing and whatnot into that category and it works out fine

If isk can be redeemed for cash at a defined exchange rate receiving the isk is almost certainly the taxable event under US law, so you would need to declare and pay taxes on your in-game income even before you converted it. The IRS is also not fond of workarounds so they define stuff very broadly as well.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i did more fozziesov today, saved two tcus, and killed a horde kestrel that tried to tackle me for a ph gang and then frogged out as soon as the gang landed :sun:

ph is so bad i can beat them

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

justsharkbait posted:

I don't actually know. Doomsadays work, but Bombs don't...so its a toss up. I have not tested it yet.

It would be interesting if it did b/c it would be like a semi-bubble ability in low sec.

In another note.

I could be looking at this from the wrong way, but...it seems like Fighters and FB are way under the EHP they need to be. It seems really too easy to kill them.

If they're that good at killing subcaps then subcaps being able to defang them seems good to me.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

you know, i was pretty restrained yesterday when we found out that someone overruled team security to unban IWI bankers who had been involved in rmt, but uh, this is a little too obvious

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

everyone knows dumb poo poo is going down if endie's trying as hard as he can to distract from it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol at falcon thinking dj has the strongest claim to the corp name of goonfleet, not the corporation of everyone who left goonfleet after the thevening

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cravius posted:

I think that's what's happened, so yes?

falcon's still holding out the prospect of still giving the name away just in a slightly less stupid way

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cravius posted:

No you're ~The Imperium~ now, new logo and all. I'm pretty sure you willfully gave that claim up.

uh no

imperium is the replacement name for the coalition to replace cfc (both of which are not in-game entities), we're still goonswarm and that name hasn't changed and won't change except to the extent we were required to by game mechanics

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cravius posted:

How would they do that? Give him the actual corp?

no idea, maybe his next idea will be rename goonfleet something less obviously hosed than "OldGoonfleet" or force-close the old corp

both are stupid loving ideas but so was this one, so maybe he'll stick his dick in that beehive again

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cravius posted:

Do you really want to argue that the Imperium and GSF are in any way distinct in The Mirttanis mind at this point?

of course they are

the reality of eve is that we're great but we can't do it alone and need allies who want their own identity and they will get insulted if we name them goons

the whole reason we've been able to have an effective coalition for so long is we don't treat our allies like poo poo, and respect things like whatever their name is and such

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

I'm just coming back after two years, why was the CFC renamed Imperium? I've never heard the actual reason for that

i mean, theres the reddit conspiracy theories, but the basic reason is that mittens didn't really like the name and had picked it around the same time someone thought SOLODRAKBANSO[LODRA] was a great alliance name and the joke had kinda gotten old, and wanted something that he liked

i agreed with the change, and i've never really seen much of an upswell of dislike inside gsf or the coalition, more among the r/eve types

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cravius posted:

When "my people" became FCON and SMA.

fcon and sma have been part of why gsf was so powerful for so many years, regardless of what you think of them, and part and parcel of doing what's best for gsf has been treating allies well and working in their interests as well

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol if goonfleet can be transferred to some guy who hasn't been in it for 6 years but The Conference Elite (code. 's main corp) was literally singled out and blatantly told that "we will never do this for you, and will close all tickets without response," even though there are active directors in said corp.

Did anyone ever find out why loyalanon got banned?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

He trolled both the Broadcast4Reps and Anti-Ganking channels ingame. He kept making fun of the eve player who committed a murder-suicide in front of the community the guy played with, and said anti-gankers are prone to murder-suicides because of that guy.

p hosed up imo, but i think he wanted to get banned so he just kept going deeper and deeper until he got what he wanted.

well, not much to argue on that one

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

also have i been under a rock because murder-suicide in front of people, what, how has that not been more well-known

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Glory of Arioch posted:

war update: deklein is fully under enemy control, our home region for the last 6 years
fade, owned formerly by SpaceMonkey's Alliance (one of our allies) was mostly taken by Pandemic Horde, but is now falling to us, phorde's staging station comes out of RF tonight
pure blind remains in flux, with MOA's territory very slowly growing, our eastern holdings being picked off here and there but largely staying intact, and the western part mostly being a forgotten ghetto that only gets taken for morale/psyops purposes

phorde is so bad that i won two tcu timers this morning and killed a kestrel

i do not believe i have gotten a pvp kill since early 2014 and that one i was using a curse heavy neut ship which is mostly a useless gimmick to annoy people and did no damage

actually, i did get like 3t of kills in br- but idk when that was, that sort of doesn't count since hitting "fire" every 5m while i am locked into a multi-hour siege cycle is not exactly pvp skill

• Locked thread