Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Hey guys, I got this as a gift in late 2016 but just now got around to playing it, my last FF having been VII (I bought both VIII and IX on PS3 during a sale but never got around to them). I'm having a lot of fun air-stabbing ox monsters and turning them into steaks, but despite already being way overleveled and just now getting to the city to meet Iris I feel like I don't know what I'm doing! A few questions:

-Is there a best weapon type for Noctis? I would assume a sword (with shield?) because its his exclusive but thus far nothing stands out. I tried to use normal RPG logic to give him some daggers and put him in his idiotic looking +crit gear but it didn't seem much different. Also, pistols seem terrible.

-For my bros secondary weapon, do they just use it randomly in battle or do I have to set something up? I gave Prompto an autocrossbow that I haven't seen him use once, and I have no idea how Gladio would even use a shield with his ridiculous buster swords.

-Are there any crazy OP ascendancy trees I should be beelining? Regroup seems more useful than any other tech skill thus far and I put points into the stuff that passively gives me more ascendant points but I'm not sure if I'm missing any other obvious ones.

-Is buying food worth it? Even after doing quite a few monsters hunts it seems like paying hundreds of gil for a temporary buff isn't worth the cost. Should I stick to cooking? So far I've neglected both but still managed to stumble to victory. The behemoth seemed like baby times with Ignis regrouping it up, though some random level 12 monster hunt I went on after hosed me up hard when they poisoned all my guys.

-Where the gently caress is the FFVI soundtrack? I have every drat game except that one and it's the only one I really want :qq:

-Season pass: worth it? Has only the holiday pack come out? Is all this random fifty cent cosmetic DLC included?

-Speaking of tne holiday pack, I know its its own thing but can I play it any time without spoiling anything from the main game? Also, does any of it carry over to the main game? Can I dress Noctis like an idiot in a moogle hat while he learns of his father's death? And what are the actual differences between the free versus paid versions? Does the paid version give me even more ways to look like a dumbass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

jaclynhyde posted:

The festival spoils nothing except the true final boss, Kenny Crow. Thr outfits and stuff you win carry over, and you can wear them at any inappropriate time. The paid version gives you a magnificent mariachi outfit.

Is it sad that this more than anything is making me consider the season pass? Anything to break up the N-Sync look a bit.

Is it confirmed whether or not the holiday rewards that carry over are sticking around past the 20th?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

So after binging this game hard for like a week straight I'm finally in Chapter 12 sitting at a train station waiting for Biggs and Wedge to whisk me away. Am I about to run out of game? Did I really spend more time in Chapter 1 than Chapters 9-12 combined?

Also, is the very first story quest in Altissia really meant to do that? Does the city have a bunch of sidequests (other than hunts) that I missed by talking to Hillary Clinton and should now go back for? Because that seems like a really weird design decision.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

No there's only hunts

I thought you were joking then I looked it up and you weren't :smith:

Why...why did they construct an elaborate city map and do nothing with it? What? Like why not just cut it entirely?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Okay, so I finally beat the game, and yeah, Chapter 13, yikes. I knew from this thread that it would be rough going in, but I expected it to be more 'extended stealth sections that are basically glorified cutscenes' a la the first behemoth hunt and less 'a series of bland identical hallways with lots of combat but also taking away anything that makes combat fun.' I know SE said they're gonna fix it later but I honestly don't see how unless they outright cut out like six of the eight floors you have to deal with.

Having said that, everything after that isn't that bad, even if it is brief. Reuniting with the bros in the World of Ruin worked, precisely because I spent like thirty hours with them cruising around doing monster hunts and such before I ever even got to Altissia. I could see how someone who beelined the plot would be a little less...forgiving of how completely disjointed that poo poo was, but I thought it at least wrapped up nicely.

I was hoping the run-up to the final boss would be a little more sprawling Kefka's Tower-style monster den too, but I guess that's what all the post-game mega-dungeons are for :shrug:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I can see fighting as Gladio fun, and Ignus because daggers/lances are what I have Noctis using most of the time anyway, but I'll be fascinated to see if it's possible to make Prompto fun to play as. Because even excepting his awful personality (now that I've beaten the game, I can definitively say it was even worse during dramatic scenes) using pistols just kind of sucks in general. Maybe that's why they're releasing it last.

At the very least I hope these DLCs get you new attire for the bros and I hope that somehow one of them is Fat Prompto.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I liked Gladio because he was the only other bro in combat who I never had to rescue, and all of his little side missions were "hey do you wanna work out/fish/be bros" whereas with Prompto I have to reassure him over and over that he doesn't suck (he does) and when he's not flailing and dying in combat I have to hear him do the victory theme every time he does that special tool overload thing.

Having said that, I totally get that he's the annoying little brother and the trope still works pretty well as part of the ensemble, but for gently caress's sake, he didn't even break quadruple digits on HP until the mid-30s and that's with me giving him gear specifically to have HP.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Just played through the DLC tonight. Not terrible and it's definitely one of the prettier dungeons in the game, but it is comically short. Like, 1-2 hours or maybe 3 if you suck, and that's including the score attack mode you'll run through once to get shirtless Gladio.

Any special reward for beating the final trial? That's the one thing I couldn't just hack my way through with ease and seems to mostly rely on endless parries to not die.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

To be fair derisively calling fascist propaganda "alternative facts" is a pretty timeless slam even if it happened recently in the real world

Noctis making a joke about skipping leg day is a way more dated reference

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I, ah, didn't think the leg day thing required further detail, even if you're not into fitness or w/e it came up a lot as a joke in 2012 when Paul Ryan's weird workout photoshoot was a thing, hence it being pretty dated at this point

I guess I forgot which forum I was in for a second

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Augus posted:

neither leg day nor the concept of skipping it nor jokes centering around it are or were specifically references to paul ryan.
I am absolutely shocked, just shocked, that goons aren't familiar with gym lingo!

I know man I was saying it was already old hat by 2012, but I could see people who have never worked out not picking up on it until then, like when people's parents started spreading Chuck Norris memes on FB years after it was funny

Do I also need to explain what old hat means or is that going to spawn another multi-page argument

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Anyone tried any of these sick monster jumps they apparently added? I'm wondering if its a post-game thing or you can just hit it up whenever, seems like you could break the sequencing with a little effort if you can get it right away.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

fridge corn posted:

I wish I knew the game was utter shite and would have never bothered

Ignore this big gay baby, driving around with your bros hunting monsters and camping rules, and that's like 80% of the game.

There is a real bad forced stealth section later on and the plot falls apart pretty hard once you leave the first continent, but it's still good times overall.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

The only thing I didn't like about the sewer is that (1)you have to do the slow pipe-walk part twice and (2)that final switch you have to hit has a jump that you have to hit attack during to just barely make it, a mechanic that is literally never used again in the rest of the game.

Actually stumbling around while the bros ponder how lost they were getting was good times, and I went in underleveled and with no good way to combat status effects so it eas actually crazy challenging just to make it back out.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Yeah it was available in the US store as a season pass download as of a couple hours ago.

I'm reluctant because Prompto is my least liked party member and guns are the loving worst in the main game but early reviews say they've improved it a bit so here's hoping!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Augus posted:

If you don't like prompto then I don't like you

Ignis > Aranea > Noctis > Gladio > Gladio's sister > Prompto > That serious mentor guy, the immortal or whatever

Fight me bitch :colbert:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

postmodifier posted:

So what's the deal with the Prompto DLC? I feel like all day long I've only seen people say they're downloading it, but nothing direct about the actual content?

Is it maybe just so engrossing that people can't stop snowboarding to post?

I downloaded it and fired up XV for the first time since the Gladio DLC but then became enthralled trying to land my rocket-boosted monster truck on other drivers and lost track of the time :shrug:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

It's kinda weird to think that someone who just decided to jump into FFXV now would have all sorts of crazy poo poo at the ready like a monster truck and all sorts of theme outfits and supplemental DLC...but they'd still reach the chapter where you leave the continent and go "wait, what happened to the plot, why am I in this empty city and now on a train, what's even happening"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

FFXV is cool, and fun, and sometimes its even good! Sometimes it's not, but that's okay, even greatest-game-of-all-time FFVI had that one lovely part where you had to play as Strago or whatever.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I don't play a lot of multiplayer games online but the hamster wheel seems real...obvious with Comrades. Since there's no real exploration and all the standard mechanics are introduced in the first 30 minutes, it seems like a pretty straightforward cycle of warp to zone, kill things, warp to hub, upgrade weapons/play dressup, unlock new hunts, repeat. Unless I'm missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Admittedly I only played for a bit to get to Level 4 and for people who like the MMO grind I found it pretty nice that all the princess dress up stuff isn't ridiculously expensive (and you can tweak the colors on anything whenever you want) but so far I've seen no sign of any real story or big changes so unless they were on the cusp of dropping chocobos in and letting me go hog wild it's pretty much just 'if you like XV combat but hated all the driving around and talking'.

• Locked thread