Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol at the idea of trying to force highly educated young people with plenty of options for alternative employment to eat poo poo and like it

:qq: why don't people want to work for us as doctors and teachers :qq:

normally I would leap straight to deliberate incompetence as an explanation but if the nhs is hosed in a way that is obviously and unambiguously their fault then it's not very plausibly deniable like setting it up for long term financial ruin apparently is

E:in response to prince John re social housing in Luton from the last thread, I wasn't really criticising them for profiteering as such, just that if they think they can make a reasonably steady income from social housing stock (and why wouldn't they with virtually guaranteed rents) then it seems like the government should be doing that even totally ignoring the obvious social good of having social housing, factor in the presumably enormous cost savings from not having to put people up in temporary accommodation in b+b s and it seems even more obvious. I guess they're probably factoring in the increasing value of housing stock which would presumably be negatively effected if everyone in the uk had a place to live but that's a pretty monstrous counterargument.

Also the lack of risk associated with right to buy is a bad argument seeing as that is the government deliberately hamstringing social housing rather than some immutable law of nature

XMNN fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think I get medical insurance at the end of my probationary period and though private healthcare is anathema to me (both my parents work for the nhs) the reducing strain on the nhs argument does seem to carry weight esp seeing as the local hospital trust is in super deep financial poo poo even by 2016 nhs standards

There's another part of me that thinks that's just trying to rationalise taking advantage of a p ridiculous perk though. My primary plan is still to never ever get ill

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
The shine is starting to come off a bit now that people are remembering that, hosed up as FPTP and the Westminster system are, winning a majority of 12 actually isn't the same thing as being voted immortal god-emperors of the universe.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

kapparomeo posted:

If the Grauniad had any actual dirt on Cameron himself I'm pretty sure they would have led with it instead of having to make do with innuendo from someone who's been dead for six years.
Yeah its not just "someone" though, is it. It's his dead father and given how western society works he probably inherited some money and maybe even some shady financial arrangements off him.

Fortunately he has cleared the whole issue up by issuing an immediate definitive denial and not eg using the sort of weaselly "it's a private matter" non-denial which might sow seeds of doubt re his tax arrangements.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Like Oldham it will be schroedingers election result, when the votes are counted the waveform will collapse and we'll find out if it's been a referendum on Corbyn all along or if it has always been all about sadiq Khan and only about him

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Also it's actually the same rich bastards doing the robbing in both instances.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Does the UK figure include places like the cayman or virgin islands?

Also the Bahamas is our baby too

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
It's all bullshit cut the fat that is lowering tax on income over £40k, lowering capital gains tax and lowering corporation tax and call it an efficiency saving or something

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
that was from an episode of more or less that also had a p damning look at the evidence for nicky morgans academisation plan (spoiler alert: there isn't any)

the highlight was something along the lines of "this statistic is very specific so I assumed she had cherry picked a measure that made it look good... but it was just made up"

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
im not sure i have anything inherently against selling council houses, just the specific implementation of it as a way to reduce state owned housing stock

if new council housing was built at/above replacement rate and the state got some sort of first refusal on resale or covenant against selling to someone trying to get a rental mortgage im not sure i see the problem

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
personally i think donating a small amount of your fortune to make up for the "mistake" of loving around with offshore companies in tax havens most of your adult life after you get caught red handed is not a genuine gesture of good will

and id be more disappointed than usual in the great british public if they ate such obvious bullshit up

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Fans posted:

Alternative reality turns out to be one where Margret Thatcher never left office and simply continues on forever using life extending rituals fueled by the suffering of the poor.

"alternative"

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
im glad the courts are able to stop the gutter press making money off prurient stories about people's private lives even if it is a little bit absurd given its a few keystrokes away for anyone with an internet connection

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
what if Corbin misplaced the trident codes

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
did hameron give an actual explanation for why paters fund was registered in panama and then ireland

he said something about trading in shares denominated in dollars, was there an actual legal reason they couldn't do that in the uk?

hes obviously looking for a figleaf for the fact it was legally registered in low tax regimes when it was run from london but is there even a shred of truth to it?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Mega Comrade posted:

That stupid "our tax system shown through a round of beer" thing is circulating on facebook again. While I do enjoy pointing out to people that it's not even close to how tax system works it does infuriate me that it still circulates, thing is like 8 years old.
is it some one where its like "look how unfair it is that one guy has to pay for everyone elses beer"

because if you earn a couple of million pounds a year and go the pub with some of your friends who are on jsa or minimum wage and expect them to buy their own drinks you would be a tight fisted bastard with no mates

so it is sort of how it works

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
they should be paying their taxes imho

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
when he himself is made of taxes

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
maybe anti fascists are the real fascists hrmmm makes u think

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
if only they had shut their fat loving mouths from the off :sigh:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

ThomasPaine posted:

Lol it's cheap because Gateshead is a loving dump

E: not as bad as Sunderland though I thought people were kidding but then I visited and wow

ill fight you

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
if youre on 100k for any appreciable length of time you aren't hosed if you lose your job

unless youre really really poo poo with money

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
if the anti fascists stick to beating the poo poo out of fascists id ont give a gently caress if theyr thugs

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

OwlFancier posted:

Well no, I wouldn't be, because I compulsively hoard money because I really hate not having a buffer.

But most people I know simply expand their expenditures to meet their income. And I can't really blame them because that's what seems to make them happy, but they need to keep their jobs to keep their lifestyle, they could probably start selling things to meet their mortgages but they'd be pretty hosed pretty fast after a little while.

yeah that's covered under "really really poo poo with money" although tbf "sort of averagely poo poo with money" probably works too

i have absolutely zero (0) sympathy or class solidarity with someone who gets paid five times what i do and then spends at least what i make in a year on luxurys and ends up skint because they couldn't be arsed putting any of it aside

XMNN fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 15, 2016

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Blacknose posted:

They usually do other cool stuff like handing out supplies to local rough sleepers, helping with eviction resistance, helping out other left wing groups, putting on punk gigs and left wing events etc. It's like they're the opposite of fascists. Anti-fascists if you will.

that's all a bonus but if literally the only thing they did was fight violent racists in the street because they enjoy it that would actually be pretty ok and positive imho because violent racists seem p bad, to me

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Miftan posted:

Your great grandparents? Did England conscript loads of old people during WW2?
well yeah haven't you seen dads army?

my great grandad was in a Nazi pow camp, although tbf my grandma was 17-18 when she had my dad

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Anythting to do with refugees reinforces what spiteful pieces of poo poo we are

Anytime the news talks about how the picture of that kid drowning ”changed the conversation" or whatever bullshit really pisses me off, it never even for a moment caused people to go oh these people are desperate and in deep poo poo, it just temporarily embarrassed some politicians because they didn't want to seem like they don't care even though they didn't don't and never will

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I am tired but emotionless

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
nah we p much burned that motherfucker down to the ground

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i really really hate tories

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
corbyn could have handled things better but I'd rather he handle things badly than liz kendall handling things badly

or are we supposed to pretend that just because youre a centrist labour politician youre going to be automatically extremely competent

also blairites refusing to shut their fat whinging loving mouths after the leadership result squandered any chance at any actual momentum so theyre more than slightly to blame

also the newspapers are all run by shits and theyll only be happy with shits and you cant really pretend they dont influence peoples opinions because why else would someone own a newspaper

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Cerv posted:

I don't think that "isn't Liz Kendall" is the great defence of Corbyn you think it is
true, he also isn't yvette cooper or andy burnham

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
tylerthecreator.jpg

death rape etc threats are unacceptable, beyond that if you want to ban people saying nasty things from your site just do it and dont make such a martyr of yourself

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
the newspapers are whinging about how it's NOT FAIR WAAAH that the information is freely available on the internet but they're not allowed to publish it, a. good and b. them describing it as "unenforceable" and therefore not worth having as a law when clearly they aren't printing it because it is enforceable is p lol

e 84 is the atomic number of polonium which the editors of the sun should substitute for sugar in their tea

XMNN fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 18, 2016

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Ddraig posted:

What accusations of "Virtue Signalling" usually mean are "I am a terrible person who could never conceive of doing anything not for personal gain, everyone else is exactly like me"

well it is wes streeting aka exhibit a in the case against student politics

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
like 90% of the worlds problems americans are to blame

I was moderately in favour of staying in the eu till approx 25 past 8 this morning when i upgraded to virulently in favour thanks to Michael goves arguments in favour of leaving centering around immigration, the balkans potentially joining the eu and the European court of justice infringing the governments right to infringe our rights

also we will deffo have full access to the single market with no barriers and no regulations because the French and Germans are cheese eating surrender monkeys or something

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
no one talks about twat as a gendered insult because the oval office controversy is imported wholesale from america

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
idk about saving democracy but they definitely killed a lot of right wing nationalists, we could learn from their example

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
or garage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I like trees

• Locked thread