Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I started playing this last night - for the bullet king, is there any reward to leaving his herald alive? I took it out both times and I'm not sure if I should have.

Getting used to the dodge roll is interesting, I'm having a hard time fighting the urge to dodge back instead of towards shots. I've 100%ed every version of BoI but playing it safe caps out at like the Gorgun for me right now. I'm excited for the challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

I don't understand how you're supposed to use the Alien Engine without taking hits constantly.

The Alien Engine was one of the guns I got yesterday and I without hesitation threw it in one of those chest things that eats two guns and gives you a new one. That looked miserable to use and I'm bad enough at falling in pits without knockback.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Lakbay posted:

I think The Scrambler might be better than the sling for boss killing weapons. Not only do you not need to charge it, the bullets home in on enemies. One egg from the scrambler seems to do the same damage as one sling bullet too.

The Scrambler is insane, getting one on the second floor let me kill Ammoconda and Cannonbalrog for the first time without knowing either of their patterns. Wallmonger wrecked my poo poo though, I don't even know how far I got on the health bar because I just shut down with all the patterns coming towards me.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Now that I'm starting to get the first level bosses down without taking damage a decent chunk of the time, I really dislike the Bullet Twins fight. I suck rear end at dodging from shots coming offscreen (and double suck rear end at keeping both onscreen at once) and when I try to force myself to stay close to them I get pushed into a wall or corner. I think I'm better at all of the second floor fights than that one at this point (provided I have non-garbage weapons for the Beholster)

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Nighthand posted:

There's a setting in the options for "aim look" or something like that. crank that down or turn it off. It's what shifts the camera in the direction you're aiming.

Reading back through the thread and this is huge, I'm surprised the default's to have it on.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

The Convict is clicking with me now, and I had a couple of solid runs in a row. On one I just kept finding different shotguns (passed up a regular one in the store, got a Shotgrub from a chest on the first level and a Void Shotgun on the third). Right before the fourth floor boss, I get a Unicorn Horn and hello jammed Kill Pillars from literally one curse factor. I still feel like garbage at the game overall, but a higher level of garbage than before.

Sidenote: The Moonscraper absolutely shithouses the Beholster. Wave it around right and it'll instantly pop the missiles and instantly shred the beholders or whatever the little guys he spawns are called. That plus a molotov to his face was probably the quickest boss fight I've had so far.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Also the Treadnaught nerf is really noticeable, I got him to like 20% with a less than half full Void Marshal and the Bow (wasn't out of ammo on anything else, that's just all that I could get).

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Man, the Wallmonger fight is super weird with two speed boosts, I was like angling jumps and going in the fire because rolling out of it wasn't guaranteed damage.

I had a pretty crazy run going with a Stinger + Double Vision on the convict but the fifth level had a mega fucker room with a lead maiden and at least two of the hammer things with a bunch of empty space. That absolutely destroyed me.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Am I missing something with the Camera or is it garbage? Does it auto-reveal secret rooms or something?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Is it just me, or does the High Priest show up way less than any other floor boss? I haven't seen that guy once and I've been to the end of the Hollow like 7 times.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Having one less health isn't going to break a run, there's no need to reset if you get hit on the first floor unless you're going for Lead God or something.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Thom and the Heads posted:

how many good players use m + kb? i'm thinking about trying it but comfy couch controller gaming owns.

I'm not good but I use a mouse + keyboard vOv

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

In the one dark room with all the little shell guys running at you, do they not show up at all if they're jammed? I abused the hell out of the decoy in a run and then lost like all my health on that room on poo poo I couldn't see at all.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Also there's something weird between the tentacle and the decoy - I dropped it in the demon head room to try and steal something, and like nine tentacles shot out in different directions and I got shot out of the room back to the regular floor. Weird run.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Gatling Gull had a melee attack?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Kiranamos posted:

Once they improve the ammo drops, the game will be pretty solid. The current balance is so far off that you are discouraged from using anything but your primary gun for 2-3 floors which is real bad. The Pilot's lockpick should get fixed too so it either works more often or doesn't break the chest if it fails, because his lovely gun is not even close to worth the other benefits.

The price reduction in stores is pretty huge.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I hate the cactus one more than a lot of the straight up bad guns (Derringer, Unfinished Gun) because it feels like you're doing no damage at all

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Is there a list of all the unlocks from flawlessing bosses somewhere? There are a few I'm not sure if I have or not (Cannonbalrog, Kill Pillars)

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Flawlessing only seems to count for the floor, not the bosses themselves. I know you unlock the Hazmat Suit for flawlessing a boss on the third floor, and the Frost Giant for flawlessing one on the fourth. I don't think there is an unlock for flawlessing the Dragun.

That's a relief, because I'm like physically incapable of not loving up at some point on Cannonbalrog.

VV E: Same, but ~850 hours in various forms of Isaac.

Power of Pecota fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 17, 2016

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

The majority of beam weapons aren't great period regardless of accuracy.

The Proton Pack and Moonscraper are both pretty good.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Contest Winner posted:

Have any good strategies for using keys or otherwise fighting the game's desire to give you nothing emerged? I'm trying to get the primer downstairs and I keep skidding to a halt around the fourth floor because it's easy to go floors without seeing keys or ammo.

Can you finish that challenge using the random gun enchantment? I might just drop the credits and do it that way if so.

Use a decoy or chaff grenades or something and steal the primer from the shop. I've done it a couple of times but died before the fifth floor on all of those.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I should mention re: beam weapons that I think the unicorn horn thing is way worse than it should be because the rainbow animation makes it harder for me to identify what's going on with bullets nearby. I don't know if that's just my broken brain or what.

Kuros posted:

Two things I think need to be changed with Gungeon:

1. Money can't drop into pits.

I was showing the game to a friend this weekend and when he played through the tutorial, he spoke to Manuel from below and the health kit fell directly into the water.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I finally made it to the Dragun with more than a half heart of health for the first time, but on the first cycle of the last phase I jumped too far forwards, clipped the bullets, and took another hit panicking that killed me. If I didn't get the High Priest beforehand or were more used to Forge rooms (I took two hits from hammers, two from one of those dumb unkillable sliding block guys because I thought it was a Cubulead, and probably more)

I think it's literally been 60 runs since I've had a Scrambler. I miss that thing.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

So im 100 runs in and havent seen a single glitch or rainbow chest.

I'm at like 98 (minus a couple where a friend played, but he didn't see any either) and same here.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

The mimic tooth necklace is almost worth the pain in the rear end of fighting mimics all the time just so you don't have to deal with the keys issue

If you get the mimic-tooth necklace plus the experimental railgun you could just merk mimics from the hallway, I got to do that in one early run minus the necklace. I'm one mimic kill from unlocking the necklace right now, and this is by far the most runs one of the frifle/mauser challenges has taken for me.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Wow, 4th floor door lord is the biggest pile of bullshit ever. Comm4ndo shots (and sticky crossbow ones) just bounced right off of him. What the gently caress.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Getting the elevators done was a pain in the rear end but it's helped with doing other pain in the rear end parts of the game like grinding certain monsters for the hunt quests and recovering the robot arm.

Do you have to put together the bullet that kills the past or something before you can find the arm? I've scoured the blacksmith room a couple of times now and have found nothing.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I think this is the most attempts it's taken anyone in this thread, but even my twitchy tilty rear end could pull off this run with Membrane + Stinger + Angry Bullets:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

I don't think I've ever gotten more than one chest from that shrine, didn't know they can drop more.

I've only had a single brown chest drop from the blank shrines and never thought to use them more than once since the other shrines all seem to be single use.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Jim Barris posted:

Yesterday I got a room that had one of the big red Chests with a fuse coming off it so naturally I rushed over there to open it and it turned out it was a mimic. Thanks a lot, game, way to be a loving rear end in a top hat.

Literally always switch to the starting gun and shoot all chests once, it takes a second and prevents this. The red mimic is a fucker to fight period, though.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

ChickenHeart posted:

Man, I'm not sure what to think about the secret level. It's tedious to get into, and it nearly-always means you'll be starved for keys in the next map, but it's effectively an entire extra level added to your run, meaning more chances at gathering shells and items. Right now its kind of a requirement for me to save those 2 keys an laboriously-roll a barrel around so I can get that leg-up in the game, whereas skipping the area feels like I've kneecapped myself for the rest of the run. Not sure if I like that.

After clearing the first floor except the boss, I'll open the better of the two chests, and after that decide whether to do the secret level if I get a gun that's either good all-around (Scrambler, Glacier) or shreds bosses (Golden Gun, Comm4ndo, Stinger) from the better one and have two keys drop/can buy a key. I'm not going to pass up a red/black chest to do it, but a brown/blue one is whatever.

So far this has only backfired when the "good enough" gun was a composite gun, which burns ammo way too fast and isn't even that accurate.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I just found extra costumes for each of the 4 main guys that I did not realize existed. The marine looks like a armored knight, the hunter wears a wolf skin, the convict looks like a lady space thug, and pilot looks like a cooler pilot. The alt costumes are sitting on the ground near where you select them and I don't know if they've always been there or just since I killed their pasts or what.

You unlock those when you kill the pasts

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I personally don't use cheat engine or anything like that, but in my first run today as Hunter I did the Oubliette with no keys available in the first floor shop, no keys dropping in the Oubliette itself, the Oubliette shop behind a locked door, and the crest armor thing behind a locked door. gently caress that.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

Getting the floor 2 shortcut was hard enough, but the floor 3 shortcut is just complete bullshit - getting 3 shields essentially means 'beat the first two floors without getting hit once'. it's a coinflip if i can beat the FIRST floor without getting hit once. I've gotten a no hit on the second floor /boss/ (not the whole floor) once. How have people managed to do it? By an insane fluke I just managed to get 3 shields after beating the boss on the first floor and then lost all of them in a few rooms when it started spamming really obnoxious rooms.

I got that one on like the second run after I got to that level by having the floor 2 boss drop 2 armors + buying one in the shop. You can also get the +Armor every floor items (from the Frifle quests iirc) - on the run I took down the Dragun I got one in the Keep + one in the Oubliette and it helped me like crazy.

The one that's been the biggest fucker so far for me was the four Junks for the fourth floor, I finally got that one finished a few days ago.

Kuros posted:

They go from D tier to B to A tier if you have Table Tech Blanks.

Table Tech Blanks are pretty much the only Table Tech I'll ever buy. That and the Owl are the only items that make buying Ammolets worth it imo. Whenever I get Blank Companion's Ring I never have a good active item to pair with it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Digirat posted:

My favorite gun that is no good is the super soaker, because if there is a pit anywhere at all, every moron in the room is going in there.

Flailing around and tickling an entire room to death on floor 1-2 is peak super soaker for me.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

Fixed an issue where some summoned enemies were dropping currency

gently caress, I was 1 key short of the 240 casings/5 keys thing a few days ago, that just got a lot harder.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Klaus Kinski posted:

origuni is great with m+kb and poo poo tier with controller.

I'd say more like okay with mouse and keyboard, it does poo poo damage either way.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Jesus the High Priest's darkness move is a crock of poo poo. I think every time I've beaten the guy it's just because I could DPS him down before he cycled into it.

Also I'm not sure if it was tweaked or if things just clicked, but I went from never acing a Winchester challenge in 117 runs (I never have gotten them with flight) from acing ones back to back in runs 118 and 119.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Finally, me going to the Abbey every run has been rewarded

Also, they fixed the Gun Soul, and it's an interesting item.
Basically, when you die, you respawn at the start of the floor with 1 heart and yuor starter gun/items. If you make it back to the room you died (all enemies respawn), you gain back all your health and items, if not it's game over. Pretty neat Dark Souls reference.

This seems kinda useless unless you're suiciding on the first room of a tough floor. I had it proc on a Kill Pillars fight yesterday and was excited until I saw the respawns.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

For anyone who plays the mac version, has the most recent patch hosed up firing? I thought my mouse was broken, but I tested it out with some other stuff and it worked perfectly otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Zorodius posted:

Does anyone think using the D20 shrine is a good idea? The negative effects usually seem stronger than the positive ones.

I use the D20 shrine as a hail mary on runs that aren't going well but pass it up if I think I've got a legit shot to win.