Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Broken Cog posted:

I haven't left floor 2 without a handful of useful guns in a while now, and it's uncommon for me to leave floor 1 without at least one (unless I'm going to the Oubliette), so I don't feel the game is as stingy as some others here.

I've said it before, but I think just adding a guaranteed key and ammo spawn to each store would solve a lot of people's problems.

Making casing drops slightly more frequent and consistent would also help a lot, there's a huge spread right now depending on what the floor generates and the rng drop chance. Game isn't too hard floors 1-3, some boss fights excluded (gently caress you treadnaught), with just the starting gun. It's just way too slow and tedious when the game should be about shooting cool guns.

E: every now and then you get one of those isaaclike gamebreaking runs. Heck blaster+gun friendship+recharge while active passive with a few more damage and recharge boosting items = treadnaught dead in seconds. Died because game wouldn't cough up any ammo :(

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Digirat posted:

It's a secret room. The passageway to get to it can be revealed by shooting a wall with a non-starter gun which will make the wall crack, and then you use a blank to actually open it.

I'm pretty sure that's the elevator-quest-guy room. Secret rooms show up like normal on the map.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
The hitsparks when you shoot a secret room wall with the starter gun are different from a normal walls. It's not 100% though, I guess the fireplace secret wall and some random tile poo poo fucks it up, but it does work most of the time.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Hexenritter posted:

and just because gently caress you:

I'd rather have this than the previous version where my ocd had me painting the walls with the starter. It also helps that secret rooms suck most of the time.

The best solution would be isaacing it, where you have to gamble a blank on 50% or so chance of a secret room.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Honestly, if they just let you shoot fun guns from floor 1 and got rid of the sidearm grinding, most of my issues would be fixed.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Sloober posted:

Corsair is a shittier version of the cannonbowler. It's not... terrible, in small cramped rooms

TBH a lot of guns don't feel like they're really all that great - anything out of a brownchest is really nothing more than your basic pistol with ammo

Brown chests can drop some really good actives though. Double vision and gun friendship can drop from floor 1 browns and are both gamechangers.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

FrickenMoron posted:

BFG is hilarious vs Kill Pillars. Also found the "git gud" version of gunther today, a gun called Polaris. It gets stronger with each kill but it loses the effect as soon as you get hit. Sadly I found it on floor 5 right before the dragun...

Edit:

Why the gently caress do shops like this even exist.

I got commando+double vision VS kill pillars and they died before getting off an attack. I probably could've gotten lead god that game but dragun has a shitton of health so I ran out of rockets.

And yeah, shops really don't need to be so stingy with their selection considering you don't really have the cash to go wild shopping anyway. All it does is provide less options and variation for builds.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Zorodius posted:

The controller might be easier (definitely is), but it feels wrong to play a game called Enter the Gungeon without manual aim as a core part of the gameplay.

You're not the one with the guns.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

damnfan posted:

What does the star on some guns in the gun menu mean?

Tapping the weapon button quickswaps between them.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
If you want something similar but different, give cryptark a try.

e: Scatter shot + muscle relaxant means you get 3 shots that basically spawn on top of each other.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 21, 2016

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Roluth posted:

Tried Cryptark a few months ago, but it just wouldn't run very well at all on my bad 3 year-old laptop with AMD/integrated switchable graphics. Very jerky and inconsistent.
Not sure if it was AMD cards or just a horrible computer.
For comparison, Gungeon runs pretty well on this thing.

They've tweaked it quite a bit. Some levels used to run like rear end even my desktop but it's mostly fine now.

Another recommendation is flamebreak which gives you alot of control over your build, but it's kinda light contentwise. You're not going to get 100+ hours out of it, but it's solid for a while if you can get over the mobile game graphics.

ETG content: One free chest on level 1, shops normalized to full heart, key, ammo and loving fill out the rest of the slots every time what is this, poland?:(

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 21, 2016

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I don't think it's worth it at all to pick up the scattershot bullet. It would really good if it didn't split up the bullet damage but it does and it really sucks trying to kill any individual thing when it a few of those bullets are bound to miss.

Any of the other +accuracy sights/muscle relaxant turns it into a god tier item, even the marine starting item is good enough unless you're using shotguns.

Pig is probably the most :3 item.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I got absolutely hosed by the rng on a recent run. 9 hearts + pig but bullet hell lasted FOREVER. Kill total was ~200 higher than it usually is when I arrive at lich. Of course 0 ammo dropped so the choice was conserving ammo in the rooms or fight lich with the pilot starter, which ended with me running through 18+ hearts total since rooms take forever to clear.

At least I got lead god.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Jibo posted:

:lol: Just did a run where I threw the bomb cannon thing and the sailboat gun thing into a gun muncher and got a lowercase r. Then I found an Unfinished Gun and threw them in a muncher on the next floor and got the Origuni. Sometimes the game just needs to take a dump on you I guess.

origuni is great with m+kb and poo poo tier with controller.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Walk around it. Seriously.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Imagine duct taping that to something with ammo

That's pretty much the duct tape dream.

Revolvers (decent max ammo, usually very fast reload) paired with something like rpg, rc rocket or makeshift cannon.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Digirat posted:

Ok so if you are using a gun with 1 magazine like a rocket launcher as your second gun, you want to tie it to something that also has 1 magazine because only the first shot will fire a rocket.

Yeah, that's why you strap it to something with fast reload+high max ammo.

I wonder how hip holster interacts with duct taped weapons. Rc rocket/makeshift cannon+that pistol that reloads almost instantly with hip holster sounds hilarious.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 30, 2016

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Nighthand posted:

Finally vindicated, I've been saying since day one that I rarely had ammo problems and I used my fun guns constantly, and that's exactly why. Some guy came into my stream a couple weeks ago and harped on me for not using my started for the first three floors and I was like "watch" and proceeded to get ammo drops more often than I could even use them the whole run through.

I used to switch to the starter to clean out the last enemies :negative:

There's also the problem where you managed to run out of ammo and got hosed out of extra drops.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
The hilarious part is that the unfun way to play will actually be the most effective now :haw:

One more change I'd like to see is free chests on floor 1 like Isaac or 2 buyable keys so you're guaranteed to open a chest and get something for the boss and go to the oubliette.

Making the drain monster guaranteed on floor 3 or 4 and a way to choose passives over guns from treasures would be welcome.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 6, 2016

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
The store selection being so limited is also weird. Items are expensive as gently caress so you'd never be able to buy a lot of them anyway. A tier items range from 80-120ish depending on floor, this is ~1/3 of the money total in a dragun run (and you're not guaranteed a shop on floor).

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I only buy keys and if I have the capability to steal I usually save it for the 5th floor because she always seems to have something really good.

Yeah, keys are way better value than most items.

Double vision, gun friendship and lich finger are cheap and worth buying. Knight armor is also cheap and probably worth buying on floor 1/oubliette as long as you can still grab keys.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Carecat posted:

Patch Notes
Fixed a bug where holding an infinite ammo gun when the last enemy in a room is killed prevented normal ammo crates from spawning
Water drums will now always spawn in the <REDACTED> room if you've used them before
Sticky crossbow bolts will no longer damage players when detonated
Enemies now immediately drop currency when transmogrified
Orbital items will no longer shoot <REDACTED> (secret character unlock)
Improved performance of the Pilot's past considerably
Fixed a dungeon generation bug where short hallways could intersect with other rooms
Fixed a bug where transitioning levels while in a conversation would break player movement (e.g. boss rush elevator)
Updated input code handling in an effort to resolve multiple controller bugs
Added the option to display an aim cursor while using a controller
Coolness's cooldown reduction is now capped at 50%
Fixed an exploit where some guns could be fired extremely quickly by switching weapons between shots (e.g. the sword Blashphemy)
Killing mimics in reward rooms no longer has a chance to spawn room clear rewards
The balloon can no longer attach to dogs or other companions
Improved one method of traversing the giant pit in the fourth Chamber
Improved bee performance
The end-of-floor elevator will now come even if the player is stealthed
Discount items will now work correctly when acquired by the coop player
Changing items while using the grappling hook no longer breaks player movement
The Dog item is no longer invisible when popping out of chests
Added a faster uniform scaling graphics option (Fast Scaling)
Fixed a visual bug with the Lost Adventurer's movement
Fixed a text issue which displayed "%META_CURRENCY" in some languages
Fixed a bug which could cause the pause menu to display incorrectly when returning to the Breach
Fixed multiple bugs caused by dying while inside a minecart
Fixed a visual bug which could cause the Bullet King to show up as two thrones
Fixed a problem with the Shopkeeper's dialogue when players enter/leave the shop
Fixed a typo in the Ammonomicon for the BSG
Fixed a bug where the Gunsling King could keep adding icons to your minimap
Glitch chests can no longer spawn in the tutorial
Players can no longer open the gun select menu while the full map is shown
Fixed an issue where specific combinations of guns could double all gun capacity
I believe the cd reduction was already in, in some capacity. I abused blood amulet? and the respawning pieces of poo poo to mash cigarettes a hundred times and it never seemed to improve beyond 50% or so cdr that much.

Ice cube + good passive is broken as gently caress though, I know double vision recharges faster than you can use it with 0 cigarette uses.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Two clone runs ruined because I get greedy with cursed items :negative:

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Cryohazard posted:

Holy gently caress is Clone strong. I don't see how you could not destroy the game given a full run's worth of items from the start.

You get very, very greedy with cursed items.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

HenryEx posted:

I've actually never seen a glitch chest spawn past the first floor. Only at the start of the game.

It's also always a red or a black chest that's glitched :argh:

Both times I've seen one it's floor 1, double glitchholder.

With a piercing weapon, it's probably doable.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

I AM BRAWW posted:

This game + expansions on BoI level of expansions. :getin:

Yeah this. The basic gameplay is so loving good compared to isaac and once it has more content it's going to poo poo all over it.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

khwarezm posted:

I'm a fan of both Edmund McMillen's games (particularly Super Meat Boy) and Roguelikes and for the life of me I could never see the appeal of Isaac, its basically the nadir of his aesthetic and bloody, scatological obsessions while being repetitive in a boring sort of way and not particularly fun to boot.

On a more related note I think I've started to understand why I'm having such trouble with the floor 4 and 5 transition, it's to do with the health economy as determined by the bosses. I really wish that you could get guaranteed health upgrades from some other way than forcing you to flawless bosses, I've fought so many bosses and been hit exactly once and thusly spent the entire rest of the run on the backfoot because of it. Its just way too harsh, if they reversed things so that a flawless fight would give you the gun or item instead and you got the health upgrade regardless I would find things a whole lot more manageable. In the meantime I've really come to hate the way Gatling Gull can lead his shots or the minions that the Beholster can summon.

As much as I hate on isaac, SMB is still one of the greatest games ever.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Today I found out you can blank the dragun daggers. This makes it so much easier.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Completed everything possible in this game, still never seen a rainbow or glitch chest

Or witches

Or who knows what else is out there

I actually got a glitch chest on floor 3 and I accidentally shot it. Double kill pillars or high priest sounds like fun and I don't even now how the gently caress double wall monger would work.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

TheRevolution1 posted:

Unfortunately it's always double Beholsters.

That's disappointing :(

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Zorodius posted:

this happens to me kind of a lot.

Can you not use blanks during certain actions or something? Is my controller just flaking out on me?

Normal blanks should work all the time. You can't elder blank while rolling which fucks me every time.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

khwarezm posted:

If you're in the first floor and haven't found an additional gun and the only chest left is brown, do you open it or try to kill the boss with the default?

Play hunter.
1) You don't have to fight the boss with the lovely starter
2) You get a dog

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
The boss is also probably the hardest in the game considering how early you face him.

Re: fw: re: difficulty: it's honestly not that hard going for normal dragun/past kills once you get the basics down. You can go hog wild from level 2 on with weapons and be fine for ammo 95% of the time. There are a few tricks and room/boss strategies and some weapons are much better than they seem at first glance but it's mostly just getting to the point where you can spend almost all of your casings on items/keys (as in get hit less than the usual heart/armor drops per level).

Floor 6 and the boss require you to get loving good or lean a bit on the rng, mostly because the rooms can be brutal and will wear you down.

I would like to see the drops normalized a bit, it's dumb how you can end floor 1 with 40-80 casings and 2-8 keys. This is excluding super rare drops like gold casings.

Ammo drops could also be normalized a bit, you shouldn't be able to go multiple floors without one. They also shouldn't be common enough that you can use the same gun all the time, half the fun is rotating and getting the most out of your arsenal.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Kuros posted:

Fastest run for me so far:

I had a run with a floor 1 gunther that ended (badly) around that time at lich, that gun is pretty much a broken isaac run in one pickup.

I never realized this over almost a 100 runs, but out of the 2 guaranteed chests each level, one contains a gun and the other an active/passive item :downs: This could actually make browns worth opening with a key if you know it's not going to be a gun because there's a ton of good items at lower tiers.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
There's a hilarious bug with air strike, you can just keep mashing and it keeps exploding for a long while, almost recharging itself.

Can you do elevator turn ins in a blessed run?

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 13, 2016

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

AlexJade posted:

You can talk to the statue in the starting room with the non-secret characters to set your curse to 9

Has anyone else noticed that with certain guns and combos that bosses take less damage each progressive shot unless you wait a moment between shots? I had the golden gun and rolling reload and was able to shoot at a pretty fast pace but after the first shot it was doing much less damage.

Some weapons impact hit seem to put the boss into invincibility frames and then the secondary effect does gently caress all, like scrambler usually murders bosses but sometimes the secondary projectiles poof harmlessly.

And then you get railgun+double vision+back gun and make kill pillars vanish in 5 seconds and wonder why the gently caress they bothered.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
gently caress the elevator unlocks, is there a good cheatengine table for guaranteeing it?

3 clears with no keys spent on chests and I have to gamble on buying a floor 4 key and getting enough casings or a key drop on floor 5. I always guess wrong :negative:

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

DrManiac posted:

Finally got the prime primer to the black smith. Now I can buy stuff on the first two floors again!

Speaking of which what is the max coolness? If I have the cigarettes I should always be burning off excess health right?

You seem to hit the cdr cap pretty fast, around 6-7 uses. I'm not sure if there's a cap on the other effects but it's probably not worth wasting armor to burn off floor hearts.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Yeah, high priest is the hardest boss for me to flawless. The dark phase, the random wall bullets and that he has a poo poo load of health are all bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
It's not too hard, it's just that he has a lot of health already and if he decides to chain it, the fight takes forever.