Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I'm on my first playthrough of DS3, first Dark Souls I'm playing too. It took me almost to Anor Londo until I realized that I'm not going to run out of buff items or embers if I use them once in a while.

Did all bosses without summons because I was to cheap to use embers except for Siegward helping out with the Dancer. Took me 10 days or so until I beat the Watchers of the Abyss :saddowns:

But the summonable NPC was pretty useless there anyway, and it was too much of a chore to kill off the enemies so he could spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

On my first character it took my a good long time to beat Iudex Gundyr. Finally got a a new area! Firelink shrine!

Rushed in and saw something slouching on the stairs. Time for a backstab! :black101:

Of course I angered Hawkwood and my game was hosed and I had to start over :saddowns:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

feelix posted:

lol did you not play dark souls 1? You should do that first

Couldn't get DS1 to work with the controller I had, and I got a PS4 recently so DS3 is the first Souls that I played more than an hour.

I will probably get the remastered DS1 for PS4 next.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

KingSlime posted:

If you're still not that far in, I'd consider snagging DS1 and starting it first, if only because DS1 owns and going from 3 to 1 can be a little clunky

I have reached Lothric Castle, so I think I'll stick to DS3 for a while. I enjoy bashing things with an axe.

It's a +8 heavy Brigand axe which is probably a terrible choice.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Yeah, that Pus of Man on the roof at High Lothric Wall murdered me a whole bunch of times until I realized I could just dash past it.

Firebombs or a fire infused weapon is the way to go if you want to take it out for the reward.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

There is a very good axe on a mimic at the High wall :black101:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

A nice trick for the swamp is to two hand a dagger and use the sidestep weapons skill. This allows you to jump around fast instead of trudging through the deeper parts.

Also, basilisk burps suck.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Swamp Wiz told me to gently caress off because my IQ was too low :saddowns:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I just linked the flame for the first time :toot:

After the two princes (who adore you), the Soul of Cinder fight was really underwhelming.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

Out of the entire series, Soul of Cinder was one of my favorite fights, with Gael being a close second.

Soul of Cinder was so easy and underwhelming after the really tough fight with the Princes. It was pretty much dodge and whack. Also had no real problems with the Dancer, just whack at its heels and watch out.

The bosses that really gave me a tough time was the Watchers, Demon King and Aldrich. Gundyr too, but that was just because DS3 is my first Souls game and I had no clue.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

What are your favorite places to farm souls? At different stages in the game I have used the Gruhs near Farron keep, the deacons and giants near Sulyvahn and the stairs leading up to the Princes (reverse, starting with the Lothric knights).

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Gold pine resin really helps with the Nameless King.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Welp, Gold Pine resin for King of the Storm and Charcoal resin for Nameless King.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Hey pals, just wanted to say that I just beat Sister Friede on my third try! :)

Used gold pine resin on my axe and a Lothric greatshield and got help from Gael. This fight was nothing compared to the Abyss watchers, Pontiff Syulvahn or the Princes. Those took me days and dozens of tried to beat.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Just started Ringed City, and those angels are my least favorite part of the entire game :saddowns:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

You can just hoof it past Slime dude on the roof. He doesn’t detonate until you’re close, so just start running after you have dropped down from the ladder and don’t stop until you reach the other ladder.

If you got good sim, you can run up to him and murder him before the slime erupts.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

If it’s a long hike from the bonfire to the place where I get repeatedly killed, I have no shame admitting that I just run like hell after a while. High Lothric rooftop with Pus of Man is a good example.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I haven't used a single repair powder or had a weapon break during my DS3 run. Could be that I just die a lot and weapons never have the time to degrade.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

dantheman650 posted:

I’m wearing headphone and can hear the sounds just fine but I still can’t figure out how far away from me she is. Also, she only breaks furniture sometimes. I’ve tried this fight 20+ times and only made it into the second phase 3 of them.

Also, I hear the sound of the scythe dragging, and try to roll, but the scrape upwards catches me no matter how I try to time it.

I listened for the noise she make when she lands, a breath, and then the dragging of the scythe and just started rolling rolling rolling until I saw her again.

Also keeping your back to the wall.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Ok, I hade Slave Knight Gael down to a pixel of health. THIS IS BULLSHIT! :argh:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Got him!:toot: I have terrible amounts of adrenalins right now.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The spamming angels and the cursing turtlemonks are the worst part of the Ringed City.

Oh, and the Haralds on the stairs down to the swamp were terrible. One on one, they're a decent fight, but kiting one after another up and down the stairs gets really tedious after a while. The whole thing where you are dead if you anger two of them su-ucks.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

But then the Ringed knights are the most fun knights to fight in the entire game.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Snowfield is the worst part of Ashes. Run like hell, fighting isn’t worth it.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I happened to get a blurry look at Siegward, what a nice guy!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Nobody ever said ’Gee, I wish I was stunlocked more in this game’.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Whalley posted:

I just beat Pontiff Sulyvahn - it was my first attempt,

Pure luck :catstare:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I'm on my second playthrough, right after the first one. This time as a dex build with Uchigatana for most fights and Irithyll rapier for bosses. Last time I did all the bosses solo, and this time I have used every NPC phantom available. It's ridiculous how simple some boss fights gets with an NPC distrating the boss, even the Twin Princess, where the NPCs are pretty useless and die if you don't actively draw the Princes' fire yourself.

Irithyll rapier is a fun weapon! Very good for fighting Knight-type enemies.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

In the Ringed City, the spamming angels, the Harald stairs and the Swamp Judicator are bullshit.

But then Gael is maybe the best boss fight in the entire game.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

what the hell did the swamp judicator do wrong

I just hated it's spamming spawn army and it was a crapshoot if I got to smack it down before getting stunlocked and dying,

Also, I'm not very good at playing DS3.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I beat Friede for the second time, now with a dex build.

Welp, the fight was much tougher than my first run with a tanky str build (Lothric Greatshild, +10 Heavy Brigand axe). This time around, the hardest part was actually the first part, with Friede solo. I used a Sharp Uchigatana, wielded two hand, with Carthus flame arc and wore rags for that < 30 equip load. Lots of ways she can catch you, stunlock and murder you before you get a chance to chug an estus.

For the second part, I found the trick was to use Carthus rouge, and just wail on Father Ariandel and get the fight over quickly enough that Gael was still alive for Blackflame Friede.

When Gael was alive, Friede turned her back on me all the time, opening up for backstabs and bleedouts. Low load meant I could roll away far enough to chug estus, and an ember for extra HP was helpful too.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

just in case you don't know, this doesn't give you any more iframes or any less recovery frames. it just makes the roll go a bit farther

Yeah, with Friede distance is good. For the first phase invisi-chase and spin cycle attacks just getting some distance is the whole point.

I know about the trick with sticking Friede with a kukri or arrow, but that goes away soon and I'm pretty bad at playing the game so just switching between estus, carthus rogue and knives during the battle wrecked me too many times.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

hey is it just me or are Lothric and Lorian the most aggravating fuckers in the whole Soulsborne series :suicide:

no, they're not even the most aggravating bosses of DS3. I'm looking at you Abyss Watchers :argh:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Still haven't tried to take on Midir seriously :ohdear:

What are my best options for my tank character? Got a +10 heavy Brigand axe that I took down most bosses with, including Gael and Friede, and several Titanite slabs to spare if another weapon should be needed. No pyromancies or other kinds of magic.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

So, heavy Millwood axe + some Gold pine resin?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I made the mistake of looking at some Dark Souls meme threads. What's everyone's issue with Dex builds?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Literally nothing. It's a spin on ages-old machismo jokes about how if you're not swinging massive weapons around you aren't manly (and that's bad)

I've also seen some people under the strange impression that dex builds are easy mode and true gamers play str

Oh, and a third possibility is that everyone is just parroting this video which seems to be the source of about 90% of the "jokes" online about dark souls

Urghl. It was even lamer than I had feared :negative:

I play a Dex buildt as my second playthrough, and it's not that different from a Str build. I just use different weapons and wield them two handed instead of using a shield. Irithyll rapier is a fun weapon!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Treeballs feels like gimmicky fight. It’s a fight where the main enemy is the camera, and I’m not a fan. But with a fire weapon and a few points into Stamina, it’s alright.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Midir is dust! Finally! :haw:

Heavy Lothric Greatsword, gold pine resin and popping an ember when the second phase starts. Got near several times, but missed the stagger/riposte before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Just started my first NG cycle, and decided to try the path where you fight the Dancer as the second boss. Any other fun things to do? I know about some unique items that only appear in NG.

I play offline, and not into PvP. Maybe I should pay for Playstation Plus?