Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I just picked up DS3 and I can't get enough. How good are Faith Builds? I cruised through DS1 using Katanas, miracles, and parrying dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

It's so nice to have actual multiplayer, hardly anyone plays DS1 anymore. I just dropped Vordt (after a couple of attempts) and decided to help a few people out and leave my summon sign outside the door. No less than 10 seconds later I get whisked away to another player's world to lend a hand. He took a hammer to the face about 10 seconds in and I got sent back, but it was still pleasant just to have actual interaction with other players.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

gently caress me I *just* shelled out for it full price the other day, and I'm past the 2 hour refund window.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Is summoning still human-only or can it be done while hollow? I don't want to have to spend 30 minutes in a sewer farming rats for humanities/embers/whatever.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I am loving Voldt's great hammer. I managed to kill a Black Knight in only 3 swings. This thing is a bastard and a half and the frostbite damage is the cherry on top.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

swamp waste posted:

Have you guys seen the Adventure Time episode with the circular train? It's a parody of video games in general, but I think Dark Souls in particular, because it sums up the depressing self-critique at the heart of these games' weird universe. Plus Old Finn looks a lot like a souls boss

Parry Lord Fynn to death and link the first flame.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I've been getting double-teamed a lot too. There's a lot of lag wizardry at play as well, some of these assholes are packet-throttling hardcore. They just teleport around and whittle me down and I can't retaliate.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So what's the DS3 equivalent of the Rusted Iron Ring? I'm in a swamp and wading around up to my knees while permapoisoned is getting old fast. It's like Blighttown but without all of the ladders, which is a small improvement.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Just started playing this. The knights in the first area kick my rear end all the time. Any tips? I'm playing as a light armor dex guy with a katana. Should I be trying to roll around them or parry them? I'm really poo poo at parrying.

2-hand your weapon and bait their attacks. When you see their weapon hand coming towards you, dodge into the attack and hit them while they're open, abuse your iframes. The spear guys are a little trickier but leave themselves open to backstabs.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

I think my biggest problem with invasions, as a total casual, is that there's no real distinction between people who are human either because they want more health/want to summon vs because they're down for being invaded. I really suck and pvp and don't really find it fun, but I like co-oping, so when I get invaded it means I'm probably going to die really quickly, it wastes everyone's time, and no one had fun (unless you really like beating up helpless opponents). I wish there was just like a ring or something people could wear to get high priority in the invasion queue and then normies would only get invaded when there are no people wearing that ring. There just needs to be a way so that whatever people who are into invasions that are online can all be connected to each other.

Equip Way of the Blue. Now when you get invaded there's a chance some friendly players will arrive to help you repel those mean, no-good, rotten, not-nice at all reds and purples. Keep an eye out for Sunbros too (Yellow summon) since that covenant is strictly dedicated to co-op and jolly cooperation (and yields some very good miracles for FTH builds).

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 16, 2017

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Okay then ember up, unplug your router until you reach a boss door, plug it back in, summon a sunbro, get souls, problem solved. That's pretty much the only way you're going to be able to opt out of the PvP.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I invaded a guy and smashed him to pieces with my hammer. Then I invaded a dude who clowned me with a katana. Instant Karma right there. Vordt's hammer is hella telegraphed so it's probably time to respec or use a faster weapon, I was going for a pure STR build but now I'm thinking of going for quality. I snagged a Shotel from some skeletons and I'm gonna beef it up and R1 spam my way to success in the meantime.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I burned through 20 orbs today and have been farming for more from Darkwraiths until I get the unbreakable one. It's me. I'm the criminal ruining someone's precious PvE experience. If I win haha get dunked loser. If I lose then sometimes I still win because on a couple occasions nearby monsters were kind enough to finish the job for me.

^^gently caress that e-bushido poo poo. When I invade dudes priority #1 is make that guy get dead by any means necessary. If I get invaded I'm chugging estus and calling in the cavalry. Make the dude lose.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I guess I haven't found the guy yet. Time for some backtracking!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

He's standing on the side of the central throne in Firelink. He'll give you some cracked orbs. To start the quest to get the full orb you have to return after he gives you the orbs with a pale tongue in your inventory.

Yeah, he gave me a key to something and told me to hunt down a very specific darkwraith but I forgot the hint he dropped. Time to consult the wiki I guess.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

When I'm sunbroing and trying to help people with bosses about 1 in 5 of them are t-posed and I can't move through the fog gate.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

After finally killing the Outrider Knight the rest of the game feels like easy mode. That rear end in a top hat was harder than any of the bosses I've faced so far

I usually try to solo-kill a boss and so far I had been doing just fine until I got to Pontiff Sulyvan, who can just go straight to hell. I beat my head against that rear end in a top hat about 10 times and he just doesn't let up, and then he summons a clone to pretty much insure you'll be trapped in an endless combo for life. I summoned a small army of sunbros and NPC phantoms to deal with that asswipe. gently caress that boss.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm going to do another run this weekend. I've beaten the base game with sword and board and a cleric with a big slab of metal to bludgeon people with.

Any interesting dex-based weapons to play with with a dodgy guy? The Sharp Crow Quills seem fun but it's a DLC weapon.

Katanas are pretty fun and the abundance of bonfires offsets the low durability. You can get the Uchigatana as soon as you reach firelink with some ripostes.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The crow quills are amazing, holy crap. The hard part is getting to them. That Freddy Krueger bird guy is a total jerk until I learned that his psychotic swiping works to your advantage because for some reason you can just spam parry with reckless abandon and riposte the sucker down.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Fighting Iudex Gundyr was somehow harder as a mercenary than as a warrior. Took me 8-9 tries this time. The individual swords have no force to them compared to the axe, and I can't quite figure out how to effectively dual-wield or throw bombs at the right time. I nearly fried my brain in the 90 minutes that took me.

Also how many hours does it take to figure out parrying?

The trick to parrying effectively is not to watch the weapon, but the hand. When you see the opponent's hand coming towards you that's when you want to parry; as soon as you see the wind-up you want to slam that L2 button. A good place to practice is Cathedral of the Deeps, since the Cathedral Knights there hit like a truck and have a pretty generous windup. If you can parry them on the regular there isn't much that can survive you. The parrying dagger/caestus/small shields have the largest window of opportunity for parries so you're less likely to whiff it.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 21, 2017

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Your SL won't increase unless you actually level up with them. Just don't spend them on your stats.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I'm at the boss that's actually three bosses with swords now. How do I beat him? I'm only level 30, should I be higher at this point? I'm using a katana as a dex weapon, Amy other weapons I should try?

The Abyss Watchers? The clones will usually fight each other. Focus on the one you started with and burn it down, parrying is your friend here.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

vandalism posted:

I kinda wanna delete a couple and consolidate to one sorc, one pyro, one melee. Not sure if I should go str or dex or a mixture.

If you want to use big smashy weapons go STR, if you want to use precise stabby weapons go DEX, if you want to go Quality aka STR/DEX then you can use whatever the hell you want, really.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen has an entire endgame area that is effectively its own little souls-tribute and it does a pretty nice job. As you progress you unlock shortcuts back to the hub, monsters can and will gently caress you up in a matter of seconds, merchants who have no drat business being located where they are, you'll be dropping piles of resources to upgrade your gear, and the overall atmosphere is grim as all hell.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Some streamers are actually paid by harassers, who throw money at their nonsense being read by a text to speech program

That poo poo is the best, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW_cC1CGCEw

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 1, 2017

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Grouchio posted:

I'm at level 22 and my Vitality is only at 11. Did I...mess up?

If you're dying all the time, maybe. If not, then no. Your best defense is to not get hit at all. You can redistribute your stats at a later point in the game. But you'll need a currency that requires you to join a specific covenant and invade and kill other players.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

My trick for the jumpy swamp guys is to never lock on to them because otherwise you'll roll right underneath their horseshit. Just eyeball where they'll land and back away. Any weapon with a big vertical attack is nice too.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

hampig posted:

It doesn't work as well as you might like, they don't aggro onto each other that automatically or anything. At that point you might as well just run past them. Which for me is the biggest red flag, when fighting things is so unfun that running past them is more enjoyable.

That describes the entirety of Irithyll. Between that and the 100% chance of invasions it's a huge chore to maneuver through that dump. That area immediately after Pontiff is the DS3 fight club I get it (for non PvPers now would be a good time to de-ember, play in offline mode, or carry around some sunbro bodyguards), I just want to get to the drat chapel and not fight any more scythe ghosts who also vomit ghosts and have a 5-hit combo, or the fire guys who will chain-erupt the ground underneath you. Seriously Irithyll monsters just gently caress off for like 5 seconds.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

No Wave posted:

I thought the Boreal Knights were really cool. The game puts you up against Boreal Knights and you think they're the toughest enemies ever, then that cottage shows up with the three Black Knights to remind you who the real OG knights were. Cool stuff.

The Black/Silver Knights have always been very very easy to kill though? Anor Londo in DS1 makes you fight your way through a small army of them to teach you the importance and absolute cheese that is parry/riposte. By the time players have dealt with Smough/Ornstien most players just roll their eyes at the sight of Knights.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Section Z posted:

"I killed Artorious on the first try! I'm clearly unstoppable now!"
*Dies 5 times in a row to a bog standard silver knight*
"Whyyyyy!?"

Realtalk though, something about my reflexes just always forgets forever that enemies can attack through eachother, or through scenery. ESPECIALLY if I'm above them. "Well, clearly I'm safe for the momen- Oh no, my foot by way of up through the pavement. My greatest weakness"

I learned this the hard way when I thought I could snipe the Winged Knight in Lothric walls from the safety of a nearby rafter. It turns out his halberd is just long enough to clip through it and hit me.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Grouchio posted:

So if you've finished the Ringed City and Ashes of Ariandel DLC after New Game+ there's basically nothing left to do - is what I've heard, right?

The endless dodgefest that passes for PvP. Just bring an Estoc or the Dual Greatswords.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Is the Surge any good? Been hearing mixed reviews about it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

quote:

hitboxes

I just pictured what Dark Souls could have been like if Plesioth had been in it. It's nightmare fuel.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Jose posted:

i find it weird how much people love witcher 3 becuase i tried 2 and the combat was so bad i didn't bother continuing to play and it apparently didn't improve at all

Witcher 2, much like Dark Souls 2, is the worst entry in the trilogy. Everything wrong with Witcher 2 is fixed in Witcher 3.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Section Z posted:

I am glad I'm a filthy casual when it comes to PvP because that means, at most, I just get very confused when I'm a purple bro and the Co-Op horde I've been hanging out with and didn't bat an eye at me accidentally stabbing the host in the fact with a flamberge while fighting giant crabs or something…

Will all flip the gently caress out, murder me, and downpoint spam over my corpse when I heal the host and/or his phantoms with a miracle.

It happened at launch repeatedly. It's happened since I dusted this game off one of the few times I did some purple bro for giggles. What is happening? I grasp getting ganked when I spawn in. I get getting stabbed in the face when I bow back to a guy who bowed first even when red signs are involved. I accept getting killed off eventually because I'm still technically an Invader as a purple bro. But this just baffles me for some reason.

Nearest I can figure, is that the prayer animation vaguely sorta kinda looks like the crystal animation? Which means they think I'm trying to "Escape" from point blank range despite the obvious chime, chime sounds, and their health bar going up if they don't backstab me mid animation?

That and people coming after my purple dude harder than they do Red phantoms who need to kill the host to "win". Guys, if I kill this red phantom i just backstabbed, that means I get my purple bro cookie. Bluecop, why are you backstabbing me so the red phantom can escape and heal himself then murder the host because you're too busy trying to kill me while I toss throwing daggers at the Red phantom between dodges?

Going purple is asking for trouble because you're a big fat free-for-all target. Your pal Yuria will sell you fake phantom rings so you can disguise as a white phantom/host of embers.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

PC related question, can anyone speak to what kind of performance a laptop GTX 1060 would get on DS3? 7th generation i7, 16gb of ram.
Wondering if I am better off playing on PC vs PS4.

You'll pull an easy 60 fps.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

lessavini posted:

Do anyone know if the Dark Drift normal attacks ignore armor now? I ask because I'm doing a "londor lord of hollows" cosplay right now and I could swear it's doing more damage than my fully upgraded Onyx Blade on certain enemies. It's weird because I got the Drift just to fool around, as I always found it mediocre at best. Perhaps some update changed it?

It was changed in an update. Details here: https://youtu.be/Gm7lcZiLOus?t=33s

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

My guy is dressed an Abyss Watcher and nothing is going to make me take that off. Today I discovered how ridiculous Onikiri and Ubadachi is. I started using it for shits & giggles as I came out of Duke's Archives and either I'm being invaded by dummies or this weapon is seriously unbalanced because I can keep people flinchlocked constantly and the bleed effect is icing on the cake. I +10'd it in a heartbeat.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Carl Seitan posted:

I love the Onikiri and Ubadachi, but they became totally useless in The Ringed City because they do like zero poise damage. So crawling pilgrim assholes just cast that circle around you and your swords plink off their shell, and the ringed knights don't even flinch while they murder you.

I'm about to start Ringed City and I am so tired of my Farron Greatsword. Are there any other similarly beefy weapons for DEX characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Can anyone recommend some good weapons for a pure pyromancer build? A friend of mine started playing and so I made an alt to do co-op with him while he gets slaughtered.