Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The Partizan's Spin Slash does surprisingly little damage when compared with its normal hits.

Trying to build up to a viable sorcerer sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Relin posted:

Why is it that I can only summon one person any more (or NPC)? All the others disappear when I summon

You're hollow, right?

Alabaster White posted:

I can't think of anything clever to say about this, just watch me dunk on some would-be ganker.

(Yes I know they were alone but they were clearly trying to use blue spirits for their ganksquad)
I don't know if you running off to chug and re-apply buffs while the host patiently waits for you counts as "dunking on."

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

BillmasterCozb posted:

:eyepop: Holy hell is it ever fun to run around with a slumbering dragoncrest ring, Aldrich's Sapphire, and Hidden Body so I can just backstab everything literally forever

Slumbering Dragoncrest and Hidden Body put anything that isn't a boss on Narrative Mode. Even just Slumbering Dragoncrest is way more useful than you'd think.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Obligatum VII posted:

Is anyone else unable to log in to the DS3 server right now? It keeps prompting me to retry.

Was getting this, and playing in offline mode was resulting in console-Blighttown framerates.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Akuma posted:

No Crystal Rapier? With that, the gold serpent, the mimic hat, and a bunch of coins I had all of the concords I needed within 4 hours. No way should it take 24!

I did all that stuff and it still took over 12 hours to get 24 concords.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I got summoned as a Blue Sentinel tonight, but the host died within seconds of my arrival.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Humans Among Us posted:

Irithyll is really loving fun for all sorts of pvp shenanigans @ lvl 40 - 60 something

At level 50 with a +6 weapon I was getting Aldritch Faithful summonses constantly, which is how I found out that I wasn't completely screwed on auto-summon covenants, just that BlueCops didn't work (that's at least gotten a little better, and I get a summon once every few hours).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RyokoTK posted:

I just rewatched the Dark Souls 2 opening cinematic for the first time since my very first playthrough, after skipping it like a million times on every subsequent character.

Is the plot of DS2 really, honestly that the PC wants to become Hollow and journey to an ancient kingdom because it sounds like a fun challenge to overtake? It's a bit on the nose about why the game exists at all.

(I like DS2 a lot.)

e: Basically Drangleic is the Everest of Darksoulsland: people only go there and fight the tough baddies because they're there.

You're cursed, and all you know is that there's supposed to be a cure in Drangleic.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tengames posted:

You don't even know that, its literally just where the undead are drawn to and end up.

You spoke with that kind old dear who tells you about a place where souls may mend your ailing mind.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tengames posted:

Try this. My first playthrough i went up the elevator to get the firekeeper soul and used the homeward miracle to warp back down. This apparently counted as triggering patches locking the door despite me never seeing it and he was just chilling in firelink shrine despite having never seen him before.

You can hear the door swing shut as you go up the elevator to the firekeeper soul.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mystic Stylez posted:

I'm thinking about what character to do once I finish my first playthrough (melee only, STR focus with greatshields). Any suggestions? It seems like all forms of magic suck this time, is that right? :(

Miracles are garbage, sorcery can hit like a truck but you have to abandon everything else to create the one true int build and may need to summon a tank for some bosses, pyro needs a lot of stat investment and certain bosses resist fire.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cleretic posted:

The thing in 3 (and apparently 2's DLCs, I only played the base game so I dunno) is that there's so many things that are specifically resistant to magic damage that sorcerors are REALLY screwed. Particularly you've got Aldrich who's mandatory and basically designed to make them ball up and cry, Oneiros is optional but not much better, and there's a lot more enemies that are strong against magic that I can't think of right now.

This is why you bring pyromancy and/or weapons with other damage types. Aldrich is weak to fire, so use GCO/COV or hit his tail with a fire-infused weapon, and Oceiros is weak to lightning so a +6 Raw Dragonslayer's Axe with Gold Pine Resin will ruin his day without requiring much stat investment (especially if you've picked up the Knight's Ring).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Did there used to be a crystal lizard in Lothric Castle near where you fight the gold dragon's bad case of athlete's foot? Not the one in the hollow thief alley that takes you back to the bonfire, but a higher ledge that wraps around to a little above the yard the dragons fill with fire. I distinctly remember finding one there on my first few characters, but after the last patch it doesn't seem to be there anymore. The Pontiff Knights also seem to be more aggressive since the patch.

In regards to code fuckery, has anyone done anything with giving weapons other weapons' movesets? I know it's possible on consoles (or at least was at one point), because on my first character I accidentally gave a hand axe the rear end moveset until I quit out.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

aegof posted:

If it's any consolation, that sounds like a nice weapon to have in skeleton land.

I tried making a blessed mace for skeleton land, and was extremely disappointed by the damage output.

Edit: For a pure pyro build, the Dark Hand is a surprisingly good damage dealer that doesn't need to be upgraded.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

hampig posted:

I wonder if this is blessed actually making weapons worse, because I usually upgrade a morning star to +2 or +3 just for the catacombs unless I'm already using a strike weapon and it wrecks everything in there.
I think it was a +2 or +3 mace, and it was doing less damage to the skeletons than my non-strike weapons.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Dragon roar has some use for gimmick boss kills or Force-trolling on builds without much FP, but everything else about dragon form is garbage.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RBA Starblade posted:

Having watched glanced at Limit Breakers videos on armor durability
Spoilers for that video: the armor still isn't broken by the end of it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Filthy Hans posted:

No one seems to mention the Sunlight Straight Sword in this little corner of the internet, but I respecced a guy for it on a lark, 40/40 with 16 faith and 10 attunement. It is absolutely sick in pve, it does 454 damage normally but when you use its buff it goes up to 507 physical standard damage for 45 seconds. It melts through everything in the game like nothing else I've tried. I'm not sure if in pvp it'll be better than a longsword buffed with Blessed Weapon because what the longsword would give up in damage would be traded for a longer blade, and you can use a Lingering ring to extend Blessed Weapon. Also with 10 attunement you get 2 buffs before you need a blue estus which should be more than enough time to finish a duel. This sword is now my favorite weapon that's not in the greataxe or halberd classes. Give it a try if you're into min/max tryhard rear end in a top hat builds, it's really something.

Aren't body buffs like the SSS's useless in duels because all the modifiers get nerfed into the ground vs. other players, though?

The Raw rear end is a useful weapon, but it gets boring real fast and there are some fights where it just doesn't do enough damage.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

super fart shooter posted:

Does anyone else miss the small white soapstone? I really liked how you could use it to coop in early areas of the map, fulfill your duty and unhollow, without having to commit all the way to boss. And it also meant that hosts didn't feel obligated to push all the way on through the fog gate without resting at a bonfire on behalf of the phantoms they summoned at the beginning of the map.

That was the most inexplicable decision in 3.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Spin Slash seems to yield universally disappointing results for damage, even on a heavy, high AR weapon like the Exile Greatsword.

I got an unusual graphical glitch last night, with the pilgrim butterflies in the background above the grand archives having bright blue and green hues like the sort you'd see on a false-color thermal image.

How is Darkdrift's length in comparison to the Uchi?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Insurrectionist posted:

10 Jailers from that big room rushing at you simultaneously...

Try activating the jump-scare corpse in the room with the Xanthous Ashes while the procession is nearby. Especially fun if you have Hidden Body to slip out while they all rush in.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The update certainly put a crimp on my plans for a Liberace-themed character with Cleric's Candlestick in the right hand and Scholar's Candlestick in the other, and Evangelist's Robes for the armor.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rough Lobster posted:

Casting hidden body and the spell that makes you silent lets you run right up to them and backstab them, usually pushing them off the building.

Mostly you just need the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring to let you sneak up on them, they don't have eyes in the back of their heads.

The SD and Cloranthy rings only come off my fingers for very pressing reasons while PvEing.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Do spears have hyper armor? It would be hilarious if the Lothric Knight Long Spear's bonus ability did nothing not because poise doesn't exist, but because poise does nothing on that particular weapon type.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Obligatum VII posted:

That was beautiful. Of course, it's still useless aside from the goofy gimmick of abusing its base damage since it cannot be upgraded and fist weapons are still bad.

"Abusing its base damage" will get you a long way, though, and it uses almost no stamina so you can keep punching for days. If you grab it as soon as it's available, it will one-shot many enemies and kill most of the rest on the second hit. It's even a viable way to kill Dancer early, since she's super weak to dark.

I wouldn't bring it to a duel except as a surprise extra weapon with no additional weight, but it's plenty good at NG Farron Keep level invasions.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

mango sentinel posted:

Is Anri's sword still worth doing a build around or did they nerf it into trash?

I think they just nerfed the str/dex scaling, the luck scaling should still be fine.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The Sellsword Twinblades are officially amazing. I just beat Nameless King without taking a hit, and I staggered him three times. It probably helps that I finally figured out to just play unlocked against him, but still. You just slap on a resin, replace R1 spam with L1 spam, and you're good to go.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

redreader posted:

So yes! There DOES seem to be a 'look like a red guy' ring.

There isn't.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

...! posted:

Last night I accidentally popped a seed in Firelink. After laughing my rear end off, I tried to think of a situation where that would have any effect on anything whatsoever. Maybe kiting a shrine NPC to the swordmaster? Can the NPCs even leave the shrine in the first place?

You can kite Yuria to the entrance and she won't be able to move through it, allowing for an easy kill if you want an early Darkdrift.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I'm on PS4 with a basic knight build but with higher dex. Level 55, then 17 vigor, 10 attunement, 26 END, 15 VIT, 22 strength, 28 dex, negligible for the rest. Using a raw dark sword +5 and crest shield +2. I feel like it's a totally basic bitch build!

You should have enough large shards by now to get your sword up to +6 (and 2 chunks for +7), unless you had another weapon you were upgrading.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

weekly font posted:

Also, after the patch is the Anri Straight Sword still viable for PvE?

If you're doing a luck build, yes.

The Champ is weak to lightning, so if you have a Dragonslayer's Axe you can get to +7 and slather with gold pine resin he should go down fairly quickly. Not locking on seems to help with not getting caught in his combos/air juggles.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I got it to +5 last night, hallelujah. I think I have 1 chunk at the moment.

There are a bunch of large shards in Smouldering Lake and Demon Ruins. You can get a large shard and chunk by trading a firebomb and black firebomb to the crow's nest. The giants in the Cathedral of the Deep both drop a large shard when you kill them, and they're surprisingly easy if you just stick to their ankles and keep attacking.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

mango sentinel posted:

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of Crystal Estoc vs Crystal Sage Rapier for a pure Int build?

CSR is 100/150 D/D/A, and Crystal Estoc is only 95/130 D/D/A, so unless there's a much larger difference between the two A scalings than it looks like you're going to get more damage out of the CSR. CSR has Stance for its weapon art and Estoc has Shield Splitter, but I never really see either get used. CSR gives you +50 item discovery, which is very nice. Estoc has lower stat requirements, especially for Dex, but you do kinda want Dex for casting speed bonus if you're going to be focusing on sorcery damage.

quote:

Also does anyone know offhand the which is the highest stability low str shield?
How low are you thinking? Among small shields, Eastern Iron has 48 stability and 85% phys reduction, but you can't get it until Anor Londo, its elemental resistances are a joke, and it has Weapon Art rather than Parry; Llewelyn is well-balanced but needs 12 strength; Iron Round has good stability for its size but meh damage reduction; and Golden Falcon has one more stability than Iron Round but poor damage reduction. For standard shields, Spider and Wargod Wooden have surprisingly good stability and require 10 or 12 str respectively. Neither is 100% phys reduction, though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Vermain posted:

Silver Eagle Kite Shield has 100% Phys and only requires 12 STR. It's your best option if you never intend to raise your STR above that point.

Its stability is fairly meh, which can lead to you getting guard broken. It has 45 stability, while Wargod Wooden has 57.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Did something happen to the loot tables for Corvian Storytellers at some point? When I wanted to try out the Storyteller's Staff on a previous character (who was not a luck build), I had to grind for an hour for it, and got 4-5 Hollow Gems in the meantime. Now, on a luck build armed with 330 Item Discovery, over the course of several hours I managed to get 22 Storyteller's Staffs, and not a single Hollow Gem when I want another 4 of the drat things. :psyduck: I'm not even raising my Int above 10. Somehow my luck build is worse at grinding than my other builds.

In other news, I managed to beat Aldritch without getting hit once, not even by his swarms of little purple tracking thingies. :toot:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Does anyone know what the parry timing is like for offhand curved swords, and whether weapon parries are 360 in the way that shield parries are?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

lite_sleepr posted:

Dark Souls Parappa the Rapper. What does this mean?

R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bombadilillo posted:

I really hope they make poise exist.

It does exist, it just only has an effect when you've got hyper armor.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DatonKallandor posted:

It's more accurate to say that poise above 0 activates hyper armor but in itself, regardless of how high or low it is beyond the binary "is it 0 or >0" check, does nothing. The poise stat does not do what it says in the game.

Testing would seem to say otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

redreader posted:

High luck? Good chance of getting items! So good a chance that you're LESS LIKELY to get the good items! Because if someone drops trash and good items, the trash cancels out the good! So good luck is bad luck!

Did items not roll independently in DeS?