Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

WaltherFeng posted:

I never made the Aldia connection but it sounds perfectly reasonable, considering he is literally the Scholar of the First Sin and was very vocal about how linking the fire is fabricated lies, nonsense and all that.

Prince Lothric is also an interesting character because his reaction is so incredibly human. He would rather let the world burn than extend a seemingly never ending cycle.

He's the most powerful of the Crestfallen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Simply Simon posted:

Two things I found out while dicking around with weapons:
- Scholar's Candlestick (boss weapon from Deacons) completely inexplicably upgrades with normal Titanite
- The Great Wooden Hammer only weighs 6 units but has a really nice club moveset

The Scholars candlestick isnt a boss weapon.
The Cleric's candlestick is, and yes it does level by titanite.

You can handwave it by saying the soul of the deacons isnt as strong as another twisted soul, and thus it's transposed form does not require blah blah blah

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Einwand posted:

I waited until it inevitably whiffed as I slowly walked backwards and then smacked them for roughly half their hp with a warcry'd yhorm's machete. Throwing dung at them would've been a better idea honestly.
Huh, you can stagger outrider knights every swing with yhorm's, this thing is amazing.

Yhorm's Mach4ete is the only thing that made me put down the SSS.
(HOW AND WHY IS IT FASTER THAN A UGS)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It's in the game files, it just doesn't drop.

its most probably coded in the exact same way as the egghead in 1.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sunrighto Sturaighto Sword.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

...wha
what the hell

Is this dark souls as a Conan/Red Sonja comic?

Also like the lifted design for the DRAGON AUGERER (HAHAHAH)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SciFiDownBeat posted:

imagine if dark souls was released before the age of the internet, and people passed around rumors and tips and nobody had any idea about optimal builds or certain shortcuts.

Well it already existed and was called King's Field.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 11, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sick-nasty kickflips not mattering anymore goes hand in hand with equip load not affecting stamina regen below 70%.

May as well fashion it up forever because by the end of it you probably have enough sick-nasty kickflips to have hyperarmor work.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Eldred posted:

Does Greirat gain anything of note if you send him to Lothric? I know he dies, I mean the ashes

Exploding and splintering bolts (aka the best bolts).

That being said:
Wanna meet that Edmond and see his trick weapons.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You can get staggered in Iron Flesh/ Perserverance.
But it takes eating all the hits from the Charge weapon art.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tallgeese posted:

While that might be possible, it is more likely that an attacker caught them as the no-stagger effect was ending, but not the visual effect. They're two separate effects with different timings.

For example, Iron Flesh does a thing where it keeps calling four separate effects, including the no-stagger, that expire every 0.1 seconds off of the main effect.

proof:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvCbKNi7vL8&t=73s

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

HnK416 posted:

On the topic of new FromSoft games: I want to see them do either more Bloodborne, an actual sequel to DeS, or let Miyazaki dunk his head in a pile of coke and lock him in a room full of Robert E. Howard and Fritz Leiber books.

Where did you think the wax pool idea came from?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yhorms machete is incredibly fast for its weight and stakina usage.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

actionjackson posted:

I tried the whole equip way over 100% like that dude in the vid, using havel's and a spear and heavy armor but I just ended up getting backstabbed a lot. Also just about every invasion was 1v2 or 1v3 and they would just run back to the bonfire and team up whenever they were in trouble.

Invade in co-op light areas like the guy in the vid does.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

There any strike weapons that scale with dex?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kild posted:

Yorshka's spear and caestus (sorta) are the only natural ones. You're probably better off sharp infusing something.

Nah this is for a gimmick.

Hm Sharp Drang Hammers+10 are D/B. nice.

[e]:Sharp Reinforced club+10 is E/A, AND has natural bleed.
Found it :getin:

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 16, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RabidWeasel posted:

It's not entirely impossible that it's intentional, it would explain why the Astora GS has relatively low damage for an UGS. I wonder if there are any other weapons with similar properties.

Could have had the roll thrust earlier in dev ala the Lothric Knight UGS but they decided that 4 UGSs 5/10 UGSs (i missed the FUGS) with a roll stab was enough and forgot a variable.
Besides the only other sword with the 2h roll smash is Lorian's UGS and it's a drat good move.

Scratch that it's the only one with that.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 17, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

fuckin lol at people saying this is bad.
Hitboxes need to be biased towards aiding the player because of an inherently flawed perspective. If this was salt and sanctuary this would be inexcusable since you can clearly see where your weapon goes. It's to compensate for a Lack of depth perception.
The only thing i saw that was actually off was how long the thrusting sword hitbox was active, and that has nothing to do with the hitbox size itself.

Seriously try playing Nioh with an Axe. It's frustrating for no good reason.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Also they used the rear end, which is the shortest straight sword, which exaggerates the video.
I have a feeling that all the straight swords have the same hitbox.

Still say the problem is less hitboxes more the active frames.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Should be the whips. Though they only seem to hit at maximum range for a very small amount of time.

Other than that id say a UGS stab or a pike/lance.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That must have to do with exaggerated step and lean in pikes have.
And imo yhorms is about as long as the FUGS, just with a little bit at the end that triggers stagger but without damage whereas the FUGS would hit.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 17, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Aggro yuria, go to velka and pay for absolution, the Pale Shade should still invade.
Supposedly.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ima dip one sword in fire and one sword in the ooze!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Manatee Cannon posted:

on my first playthrough, the princes were the last boss I fought as a caster and it sucked. it's not a super hard boss imo tho

It kinda doesnt help that Lothric has Fume knight levels of magic resist.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

limited posted:

Besides the lovely slowdown gimmick, those weirdass pods dangling from the trees basically scream un-used monster or trap mechanic. I'm curious what the hell they were going to be for.

Seriously loathe the slowdown though. It's just a lovely way of making a area seem longer, but at least you can grab a dagger in DS3 and just bunnyhop through the lovely area this time around, unlike Amana. :gonk:

It's to make Demon's souls vets keep their eyes firmly upwards.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lord_Magmar posted:

I personally suspect what they're going for is the Giants in DS2 are all hollowing. Hence why early on you see hollows turning into something like trees. So there's not two types of Giants there's hollowed and normal Giants much like Hollowed and Normal humans. The missing face/giant hole is the Giants version of the Dark Sign that brands the Undead.

Basically all the Giants are the same species being treated in various ways. Although that does get messed up by the really huge giants in the Cathedral of the Deep and Irythyll Dungeon.

Only in 1 were all the giants the same size. DS2 had them in different sizes and builds.
The way I see it in 3 they're mixing both.

Whats more interesting is that once Giants lived peacefully with humans, like Yhorm being friends with Siegward, and the burial gift white branch's description:
'Branch of a white birch received from somebody. Apparently, this was once a token of friendship ... Perhaps treasuring the memory is more important.'

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

super fart shooter posted:

I've already got spook and the silvercat ring, but I wonder, if a fall is not absolute death, but still does too much damage for the amount of health I've got available, will those things save me?

I've fallen through the the dead firekeepers tower from that bridge to the bottom and not died with spook/silvercat.
also fall damage scales with equip weight.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Anal Surgery posted:

I just got to Twin Princes on my pyro build before I remembered you can upgrade the pyro flame catalyst. :downs:

edit: It should be noted that I'm 25/25 int/fth and fire hits pretty decently even without an upgraded catalyst. Dragonslayer Armor went down in like 6-8 casts of Vestiges of Chaos

25/25 is a lot, pretty much endgame level. You can cast all pyromancies and, well basically think of it like 50 pure INT or FTH.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Golden Goat posted:

What does the Dragon Torso Stone do besides make you look ridiculous?

Also any suggestions for Aldrich? I feel like i'm doing gently caress all damage and chasing him around is a pain.

increases fire abs.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

DatonKallandor posted:

I don't think it's a meta joke, it's a straight up chance to show the Demon apocalypse that happened pre-Dark Souls 1 that we never got see the consequences of. Fields of Demon Corpses stacked higher than houses hammers home just how hardcore the Black Knights were. It was the last big historical event that they hadn't shown the player yet (since you get to time-travel to Gwynn-vs-Dragons times in DS2).

Yeah if they do fix it, it'll be in a remaster Scholar of the First Sin style, since then they can claim it was always working as intended but now they changed their mind (that's also what it took for durability bug).

It's also really interesting how the BKs survived and the entire demon population was culled down to a paltry 4 that lost their fire and in the process of dying on their own anyways..

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Million Ghosts posted:

about what point does Refined start beating Sharp/Heavy for a Quality build anyways?

For already quality weapons it's around 20/20, for more (read very) specialized weapons I'd like to believe it's around 25/25.
Thing is refined scales well up to 40/40, so pure stat number-wise it's like investing in 80 str/dex, but with much less diminishing returns.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 20, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cyberventurer posted:

You should try out the Old Leo Ring with that. If I recall correctly, 2's counterattack window is incredibly generous, pretty much covering the entirety of every enemy's attack animation, both wind-up and recoil. Since enemies almost never stop swinging at you, it's basically a constant damage bonus.

Also since almost every enemy has the same sort of attack windows (1,2,3,pause,4 or was it 1,2,pause,3?) you should be able to easily suss it out.

Barring a certain tall armored enemy that is far too mobile for what they are, and would fit much more in 3's roll happy design.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RyokoTK posted:

Uchigatana from the Sword Master just wrecks pretty much everything, and has bleed to boot which is fun. Sellsword Twinblade and Warden Twinblade both dominate now that they were buffed, although the latter is really loving annoying to farm so unless you want to do dex/luck for bleed I would just not bother.

The Carthus Curved Sword is also great/amazing, so is the corvian scythe.
Strangely enough if you Sharp infuse a weapon with very good str scaling, it will turn into very good dex scaling.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 21, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I was getting killed just as I got back. About an hour, 200,000 souls. I think I have ideas for better hiding places.

Where the chest is in the marriage chamber.
Obscuring ring + curl up behind the opened chest.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

argondamn posted:

It's not really surprising that they re-used the DkS1 engine. It's actually surprising that they even wrote a new engine for DkS2.

Nah it's been various versions of the PhyreEngine since Demon's.
Netcode however is probably all on Fromsoft.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Golden Goat posted:

Greirat is dead thanks to me misreading confirm Siegward's in Irithyl as "talk to him"

I talked to Siegward, exhausted his dialog and drank his estus soup.
Still got Greirat to live. You might have hit on the time limit.

The way I did it is I talked to siegward in irithyll, then sent greirat, then stomped the old demon king as soon as I sent him. I came back and greirats all hale and hearty.
Next step would be to send greirat to lothric then tell patches where he is, this gets patches some new items iirc.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Golden Goat posted:

The conditions for keeping him alive is more confusing now. I think I talked to Seig and then sent Greirat out. What's the time limit?

Theres (supposedly) some unspecified time limit between him being sent out and him dying, if you dont beat a boss within that hes dead, iirc it's quite lenient.
Siegward also doesnt save him if you so much as trigger the dungeon's opening text, that instantly moves him there.
An Alternative way to save him is to not buy the armor off patches (supposedly, I havent found a source that says he can without the armor) and also tell him where greirat is.

[e]: Huh that's weird. maybe triggering the dungeon than talking to Sieg moved him to his cell after you left.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Golden Goat posted:

Yeah I'd say after I talked to him the moment I rested anywhere he moved into the dungeon since it's flagged I visited there.

It's fine though I don't think I missed too much with him dead unless he's tied to somebody else's quest.

Nah, you just miss on two kinds of bolts and the ability to buy -
Well lets let fextralife tell you:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AttackBacon posted:

Any quality weapon makes a decent dex weapon with a sharp infusion. Rapiers, whips, daggers, and claws are also all pretty decent if you are willing to adjust your playstyle. Don't use whips as a primary weapon but they are great in certain situations.

Edit: Oh I forgot spears, spears are really good.

Any good STR weapon becomes a good DEX when sharp infused.
Sharp Reinforced club +10 is E/A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Haven't encountered any winged knights yet :smith:

You had to pass one to clear before going to the Vordt/dancer stairs.
Theyre the big fat one, with the tiny wings.