Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

man nurse posted:

Yo I beat Cathedral of the Deep and now I don't know where to go.

go back to the swamp, take a ladder down into another swamp, do stuff there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Eonwe posted:

out of those, I was thinking refined, and it would balance str & dex, which Im trying to do for my first character anyway

sure, why not. you can change it later if it doesn't work out

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Eonwe posted:

oh! awesome! I thoguht it was permanent

nah, you can swap infusions as often as you want as long as you have the materials for it. doesn't undo your upgrade levels either.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

NESguerilla posted:

Does the fat knight seriously not drop anything?

he has a chance to drop his weapon

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Moldy Taxes posted:

Is there a Blueblood Sword equivalent in this game, or is the concession that every weapon is a Blueblood Sword with a hollow gem?

There is

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Basebf555 posted:

Why when I became a sunbro did I not learn the gesture. Do I need some medals first? And do we know if we need to take the medals somewhere to turn them in?

you'll get the gesture when you find the place to turn in medals

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

neurotech posted:

Is there a SA IRC channel for *Souls games?

#FROMGoons on irc.synirc.net

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

goldjas posted:

So I got Orbeck of Vinheim a while ago to buy sorceries, and he was at firelink shrine a few times, and now he's just...gone.

Does anyone knows where he goes? I'm a sorcery based character and i kind of need him.

heard he fucks off if you don't bring him books like you promised you would, dunno when that happens though

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

there are actually safe spots from the dragons fire, in the shadow of the wall

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

What mage? How many loving zones have I skipped? After beating the Abyss Watchers I went straight to the Cataco- oh my god

DARK SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOULS

there's a boss in the road of sacrifices, you want to go past it

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

voltron lion force posted:

What the loot he drops? I also died before picking it up

Dung pies and a large titanite shard

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Einwand posted:

Well, Wolnir was a fun fight, both of my phantoms got oneshot by some sort of fog breath though.
Not having any luck finding large titanite shards though, weapon's still just +3.

That's where they expect your weapon to be at that point. Skeletons drop tons of small titanite because they want you to have a +3 by then, in the next areas you'll start finding large ones.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Poise doesn't work the same. It seems to only apply to specific heavy attacks from generally heavy weapons, increasing or decreasing the amount of damage you can take during those attacks without being interrupted. Basically you will never be able to just walk up to people and spam r1s without getting knocked out of it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Your Computer posted:

Is there any point to the cathedral rafters other than getting your poo poo rocked y/n?

Look for a place to drop down

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I mean if the guide did have weapon stats in it they would already be wrong.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

No

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The broadsword is probably the best weapon in the game, so yeah.

And if you think titanite is rare just progress in the game. Every tier of it becomes a common drop from enemies eventually, at the point when the developers want you to have a +3 or +6 or whatever.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

theblackw0lf posted:

You mean the deep battle axe? Not really finding it that great. Seems pretty identical in damage to the battle axe I started with.

Which is confusing because it says it should be doing around 244 damage, both physical and dark. Yet it only does around 110.

Is the dark damage just not happening for some reason?

Split damage sucks

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

No but seriously the broadsword is the best weapon in the game

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'll check that out when I'm not at work, and I've spoiled myself on lots of things so I knew it was coming, which was why I was sure not to take him up on it, but I'm just more curious now as to how/why it looks like I'm hollowing when I specifically avoided that option. Welp.

It's soot, when you kill enemies it gets all over you. It's been happening the whole game.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Hollowing doesn't make your skin black

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Blessed infuse pretty well halves a weapons damage

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Emalde posted:

Summon all of the people for bosses if you're trying to play a mage, don't listen to the gitgud people b/c you're already playing with an arm and leg tied due to how trash magic is for 70% of the game

You made your choice

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

Can you get more than one stray demon soul or did I screw myself out of a pyromancy by making havel's ring?

Not until ng+

The pyromancy is terrible if that makes you feel better

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

turtlecrunch posted:

Whip out your binos and take a look at his face sometime

HE DOESN'T HAVE ONE

awfully judgemental of you

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Grem posted:

Is there ever a farmable source of twinkling titanite?

near the end of the game you can buy as much as you want

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Harrow posted:

So, I forgot to talk to Leonhard again and killed the Crystal Sage and he's not showing up in Firelink like he's supposed to post-tree boss. Have I locked myself out of continuing his quest line and getting the Red Eye Orb or is there something I'm missing?

check again later

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

Is there a way to get up to the giant ballista in Smouldering Lake? Just yes or no, don't tell me how.

yes

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

How much twinkling titanite and titanite scales are in the game? Enough for one weapon to max out or more?

you can buy as many as you want

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

double nine posted:

The Dancer seems like a bullet sword-sponge. Is she meant to be a later-game boss?

Yes

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CJ posted:

I think the biggest problem i have with the game is too many estus and you can chain stagger pretty much every enemy in the game. In DS1 you had 5 flasks for a lot of the time so messing up and wasting them was a big deal. Also, apart form the basic undead enemies if you just ran up and spammed attacks they would recover and hit you back after a couple of swings so you had to be careful. This game once you land a hit they just get chain staggered and you win.

Other problems i have is that i hate that you have to be embered to get invasions. DS2's system was perfect. It's stupid that you miss NPC invasions and their loot because you went through an area without an ember active. Also i haven't found a weapon that is better than my starter longsword which is kind of disappointing.

I think the big thing people are going to complain about once the honeymoon is over is how linear the early game is. It doesn't really affect me because i'm not into making a million different characters but for people who liked doing that it must be very annoying to have the weapon you want be half way through the game with no way to sequence break and get to it like in DS1 and 2. I assume there is a sequence break to a late game area near the start, but like why couldn't they have had you cross that giant bridge and then added a secret key to let you get down to the swamp early?

Also, i really don't like how little direction there is. Dark Souls has never been particularly great at this but in DS1 you were told to go up and down to ring the bells, then to go to Anor Londo then to go and get the lord souls. DS2 had the herald giving you direction. This game i'm just following the path the game gives me with pretty much no context. It would have been nice for someone to say "Hey, Alrich got locked in the Cathedral of the Deep because he's a maniac who kept eating gods" "Oh, he's not here, he hosed off to Irithyll. Go get him." Instead i learnt this several hours later after i'd already beaten him.

That's not to say the game is bad. Those are just the things keeping it a 9 instead of a 10.

You should talk to npcs

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CJ posted:

Which NPC tells you that? I talked to Crestfallen every time i went back to Firelink, but apart from an exposition dump about Abyss Watchers after i'd beaten them he didn't say anything apart from how we aren't fit to lick the lords' boots.

Anri shows up in firelink after the cathedral to tell you where aldrich has gone

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Carl Seitan posted:

I was really upset that Anri was murdered and that Greirat never came back from his second run and was also murdered.

Did Patches kill them both?

Neither

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

SgtSteel91 posted:

So I have two curses from accepting the free level ups and now I just noticed my character's face is messed up. Will accepting more level ups and getting more of the curse cause my character to eventually lose half health?

No

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

theblackw0lf posted:

What's so good about the broadsword?

it does a lot of damage and it's really fast

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

I found Patches, and he's talking as if he tricked me at some point but I've literally never seen him before. :psyduck:

he locked the door behind you when you took the bell tower elevator up

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

codo27 posted:

Do you mean in the area I'm standing in here?

Cause theres no one there, there wasn't the first time I went there and I'm also bugged that I still haven't found out how you get over to the area I'm looking at there.

there was and you missed it now

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Obligatum VII posted:

So, uh, regarding my earlier question

Found Horace, kind of, uh, had to murder him with my rad demon fists which are my new favorite weapon at the moment. Told his friend about the lake. Did I err, should I have told her without killing Horace?! Would that have just gotten her killed?

yes it would have

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Harrow posted:

I don't think I understand how to deal with the knights in the rafters in the Cathedral of the Deep. I can't seem to parry them and there's no real way to dodge their attacks without falling to my death or eating a shield bash and I am very, very angry about it.

kick them and then attack their shield and you'll guard break them, the kick alone is just short of being enough

alternately get good at parrying the swing after the shield bash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Omi no Kami posted:

So I just beat the Lord of Cinder, and I see a bonfire that says "Link the first flame". Can I hit this, see the ending, then continue playing, or will touching it immediately boot me into NG+?

you can choose to stay in ng after the credits