Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

3Romeo posted:

About the "figure stuff out on your own" bit - I think that's the thing that bothers me the most. The game should work inside it's own universe without me having to watch a Let's Play or read a walkthrough.

These games absolutely "work inside their own universe" without consulting wikis etc in the same sense that a game like nethack does. its totally possible but you have to be very patient and very attentive to detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

goddamn I want to play this game so bad but I am on tour for two more weeks

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

drat this thread is frustrating. 10 more days!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I've finally had time to start getting into this game a bit!

Question: Running around in some different areas of Road of Sacrifices I swear I've heard the sound of a freight train going past in the distance. there is nothing going on in the game to match that sound, it just seems to play sometimes in different areas of the forest/swamp. whats up with that? I like it..

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

k-spar posted:

Do you live near any train tracks

No I don't, but many years ago I lived about half a mile from a freight route which is how I recognized the sound. Maybe its just being used as ambience because if you didn't know what it was you could easily mistake it for just some generic mysterious ominous rumbling, but it definitely sounds like its made from the sound of a freight train.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

is there any place to farm large titanite shards before beating abyss watchers? the wiki says those big knights in cathedral of the deep drop them but i have killed those dudes a lot of times and they drop nothing..

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah starting class in this game only matters slightly more than it did in Bloodborne. Pretty much your choice determines how hard it is to kill Iudex Gundyr and... that's it.

yeah I am doing a mainly str/dex build now but I started as a sorcerer because I'm pretty bad at these games and it was way easier to beat him with magicks.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Oh... I found adult crystal lizards. I've been killing their babies? Nooooooo

they are described as "ravenous" so maybe they just turn into big monsters when they get hungry. I feel that way sometimes.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Fire Barrel posted:

Also, I think this game has a lot of really nicely designed areas.

the whole world is incredibly well designed imo, I love going to places with really good views where you can see how multiple different areas fit together

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I am not that far in yet (still at Smouldering Lake) but I loved the music from the Abyss Watchers fight

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ok I am a bit confused about the order of things here. I am currently at Profaned Capital, and have explored most of the Dungeon, but have not yet killed the boss of Irithyl of Boreal Valley. I have only just now sent Greirat off to scavenge, though he has not actually left the shrine yet. Siegward is still in the well out front of the Cathedral, and Patches is in the Shrine and has Siegward's armor for sale. Given that setup am I now too late to prevent Greirat from getting killed while he is scavenging?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

You could probably kill him in Firelink yourself so his ashes are easier to find and he's at least killed by a friend.

Might not upgrade his inventory though. You should get special items for killing him yourself, kinda dumb.

Yeah I don't think I'd get his upgraded inventory items if I kill him at this point.

AttackBacon posted:

I believe you are alright, what you need to do is tell Patches that Greirat is gone scavenging. Then go fight a boss. Patches (dressed up as the Onion Knight) will save Greirat. Then you can buy Siegward's armor (DON'T DO THIS UNTIL GREIRAT IS SAFE) and go rescue him from the well.

I will give this a shot. Thanks!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

:laffo:

I guess they should have, I don't know, relied on community policing like literally every other game on the internet?

this wasn't in-game but the official forum for a flight simulator I was into years ago had a filter that censored the word "cockpit"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

also there are regular sized rats in the game

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

The small rats that you fight are not "regular sized."

I live in NYC. they look pretty regular to me.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lore question: what is up with those dead little mushroom people in the corner of Farron Keep?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ah I thought it must be something like that but I have only played DS2 before this one. I'll have to go back and play DS1 since I've seen many people pointing out similarities etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah I am also stuck on Dancer I can get through her first phase no problem but always get my rear end kicked once she starts doing those spins, even if I am super close I can't seem to dodge them well (and far away is not much of an option for my build)