Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Question about Greirat. How do I ensure he survives? I have saved the onion armor guy but I read Greirat comes back after you kill a boss. Is this any boss, such as being summoned, or is it the next boss i kill to progress the storyline? Also, I heard that there is timer that you must kill a boss within or he still dies, how long is this timer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

im not a fan of invasion and only really ember when im playing with friends or have killed a boss. i especially enjoy leading them on for a long time before my friend and i gank them, to make sure we also wasted their time on top of killing them.

ideally we were making jokes and talking about sports for like 15 minutes while he is searching for us and then he dies and i laugh.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Szcwczuk posted:

It's 0 risk to just fight the invader, other then losing the ember. You should just fight them and have a good time.

eh its just annoying since normally its when im playing with a buddy. this game is actually a lot of fun to play co-op. you go around, talk about the cool settings, etc, its quite enjoyable. and then in the middle of it there is an invasion and its just a pain in the rear end.

im not a big dark souls player, and other than inertia from the prior games, i really don't see why there is not an arena type system in the game to facilitate pvp for the people that really want it. just plop an NPC by arena somewhere and let you queue into games.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

lets hang out posted:

The guy going "hey maybe it would be cool if hosts got something for winning invasions" and then like 10 dudes jumping down his throat about it lol

it pretty much perfectly sums up why the people that play this game are made fun of so much lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Szcwczuk posted:

how the gently caress do you kill the lothric knight with the massive shield and spear?

you need to get the hang of baiting some of his attacks. you can't just keep your shield up and push hard on his left like with the sword ones. he leaves himself open after the double thrust, and the one he does from long range. try rolling through it towards him so you can then turn the give him a whack or 2. they can be stunned as well so a hard hitting weapon like the broadsword can land a number of hits before he recovers.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

as a scrub who does not pay attention to this poo poo, why is the dark sword more OP then other swords? i never infused it, but i have a +10 dark sword and +9 broadsword and they are near identical. what makes the dark sword so much more unbalanced?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

GulagDolls posted:

heavy dark sword gets insane damage on a strength build with minimal stat investment. its got some pretty nasty range too.

got it, so infusing it with heavy means you can dump points in other places and be a dickhead

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

drat i just beat the game using one but never bothered infusing it or anything i could have been having an easier time haha

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

RanKizama posted:

Any tips for a fresh player? You know, besides "git gud" or "don't die"?

Most mobs leash, so if poo poo get bad, run the hell away. Also you can run past most groups of enemies.

Get the hang of rolling either towards the enemies or to the side. Going straight back often gets you caught by a long range thrust of some kind.

Being close is not always bad, a lot of enemies have attacks you can dodge and weave around if you are sticking close to them, conversely some can grab you, so you need to learn which movement imply "get the gently caress out"

Boss and enemy attacks are often distance based, so you can bait out specific attacks. This lets you then roll in the optimal direction and try and land a backstab, or just nail them with a combo.

You can respec a little sooner then midway through the game, once you find a specific npc.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

as far as i can tell there are optimal weapons but the game is more fun if you just play with what you think looks cool

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Harrow posted:

You definitely can. It's just not quite the same as getting to fight it again solo.

not the same, but its also fun to go help people who were struggling cause im not that good at this game and have used summons for help before and it still feels great to beat the boss.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Section Z posted:

And now, to actually remember to send Greirat out in the first place.

you can get the distant manor bonfire. the problem with going any further past that is the game moves siegward to the dungeon and breaks the quest.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Section Z posted:

Oh thank loving god I got all the shortcuts before the boss fog. No estus of any kind left, missed my R2 Stance art stab by a pixel on a pontif knight, but I loving made it. Now to deal with some real life stuff before taking on the boss-

Oh, right. Good timing to read this even if I doubt I'll be using that thing's items on this guy.

make sure you send greirat before you kill the boss

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Harrow posted:

Lothric itself seems to be an actual kingdom, but it did end up being ground zero for everything converging. Lothric has enough history--complete with a royal family and a Flame-linking mythology of its own--that I think it existed before all the convergence happened. But I also think it's very fair to say that it isn't built on top of Lordran, but rather right next to it as the convergence happens.

As a new player with this game, i understand this concept but it seems really out there as an explanation. From what I gather its been thousands of years since the first linking of the flame. And multiple kingdoms have risen and fallen and such, just the amount of Fire Keeper bodies in the tower shows that an immense amount of time has passed since the first linking.

To me it seems like everything keeps happening in the same general area of the world, so time/dimensional fuckery makes more sense why Anor Londo shows up, rather than the actual physical land mass shifting there. To me that makes no sense since it brings up so many questions. The land does not have any areas where its sharply sheared off or anything, like if part of Anor Londo looked like it was cut off with a knife it would make more sense. Everything is connected and fits together, like the buildings and such grew up around on another.

To me it seems its all in the same place, but so much time has passed between events that the kingdoms have all changed, parts of the land has changed, etc. And now that poo poo is going sideways again, poo poo like the silver knights start showing back up.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Behemuff posted:

Are the Watchers in the Abyss impossible?!?!?! Sure feels like it :mad: :mad: :mad:

Which part is giving you trouble? If its the first, slow down and let the 3rd watcher attack the others and keep it a 1v1 fight between you and the boss.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

BitterAvatar posted:

So is there a quick way to get to the boss of Cathedral of the Deep without running past that first giant and a million cathedral knights? That run takes forever and I die a lot.

You can kil lthe giant and it never respawns, also you should only be running past 2 knights if you have the shortcut.

if not, its on the lower level of the cathedral, opposite that second giant. opens up an elevator to the cleansing chapel bonfire

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Harrow posted:

I think it's more likely that both Eleum Loyce and Irithyll were meant to visually call back to Anor Londo and have similar architectural influences as a result, than that they're the same place. Of course, that's complicated by the fact that Anor Londo is actually in Irithyll in DS3, but still.

As a new player, this poo poo has been seriously confusing. While I get that lothric has been quite literally lifted up, everything else seems relatively connected.

Before Lothric was raised a half mile in to the air, the layout of all the areas makes decent sense. You have Lothric Castle with the undead settlement and the keep of the abyss watchers located just outside the castle, along with the massive Cathedral of the Deep just outside the undead settlement, and nearby Farron Keep. So you have a castle, a suburb of undead, a huge cathedral too big to build in the castle, and an external keep of warriors.

Connected via ancient catacombs as well as a road (now covered by a rockslide) is Irithyl, a rich neighborhood of nobles located not far from Lothric Castle. Underneath Irithyl is the smoldering lake and the dungeon, where the Profaned Capital is buried. and to the other side is what is left of Anor Londo. None of this seems disconnected from Lothric, and before the time of the game, would hardly be all that weird, at least in terms of geography.

The only area that does not "fit' is Anor Londo, due to its size and the lack of everything else that made up the city. Due to the huge time frames involved, it could be the rest of the city was torn down and replaced with Lothric, or Anor Londo literally did appear in the area one day, perhaps at the same time as Lothric was raised up.

What is weird to me, is there are almost no areas actually showing a convergence of areas being "smashed" together. Yes you see that at the very end, but that location is probably not representing reality. Besides Lothric, there is nothing else really visually indicating some kind of conflux. Buildings chopped off midway, tremendously different landscapes right next to one another, roads that stop suddenly, etc.

To me it all says that while time fuckery is happening, at least pulling things from the past into the present, not much in terms of lands moving is happening.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I think I agree that it's more about time-fuckery than geography getting screwy, especially given how logical it all looks when you look out from Vordt's bonfire area. It's possible all of these places existed in the same geographical area, just in different ages, and now time is collapsing, Final Fantasy VIII time compressionkompression style.

I'm not even certain anything beyond anor londo is out of place or time. the abyss watchers being a force that operates under the dominion of Lothric makes sense, so does a ghetto for the undead, and a nice place for the rich.

Everything seems to have been a functional city state before Lothric was raised up, and the undead curse started gaining strength.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Loopoo posted:

I'm a little babby... Plus I'm really scared cause everyone pumps Darksouls to be super hard so I'm constantly hoarding souls to level up and buy gear due to the constant fear of reaching an area and being too weak to continue on, and then having no way of gaining enough souls to level up and become strong enough.

Here's the thing, by the time you get to where you might have trouble due to being under-leveled, there will be areas you have just passed where you can go back and get souls if you need them. I totally get getting mad at losing souls, i personally am not a huge fan of the series and it feels stupid to me sometimes too. But really, if you want to powerlevel, its not hard to go farm souls and level up.

Also, make sure you save those soul items you find in the game for when you are back in firelink and need an extra 2k to hit a level up threshold. Don't just use them all for a level now.

The part where you are is still real early in the game, and its a pain in the rear end. Its actually easier to just run through there and keep moving forward since you are going to figure out a way to stop those arrows in the next couple hours of playing.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Loopoo posted:

I've been using all those soul shards every time I get to a part in the game with a bonfire. I'll teleport back to Firelink and use them to level up. Is that bad or?

Not bad, I just mean keep some in your pocket so can level up when you have a decent amount of souls, that way you are not running around with 3k shy of a level or something.

6k is nothing, and the game is not balanced where 1 level is the difference between success and failure. You'll start telling if you are under leveled, and conversely, by the time you are, the enemies will drop more souls that will catch you up pretty fast. For the most part, you won't cripple yourself by losing souls when you die, it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I made the mistake of popping the one in highwall on and then I died and it saved a whopping 2,500 souls :v:

Now I have a fistful of them that I'll never use, because if they're onetime use, they're worthless to me

You can use them when you die for a second chance to regain souls, so if you get unlucky and die in a lovely spot with a bunch of souls you can try twice to get them back.