Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Mantis42 posted:

Godzilla is the best superhero

Like all superheroes, a good friend of the construction industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Schwarzwald posted:

Are you telling me big G has mafia ties??

Big G and Big Concrete have been seen in the same room, that's all i'm saying.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Yep, unfortunately, Godzilla Show is real dire stuff despite having all the right components. It's just completely acinematic, to the point that you suspect the people behind it have never seen a kaiju film. Hope you like banal scenes of people delivering exposition to eachother.

I'd rather that than 10 people running around 2 timelines in love triangles while monsters fight in the background.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Seeing it tomorrow night, can't wait. I'll probably be fighting with my brother about Godzilla again, because he likes Shin and i don't like Shin and it's bound to get brought up

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I really enjoyed Minus One, the attention to detail was cool as poo poo. I was on the edge of my seat for the first encounter with scaled down Godzilla, going full jurassic park. Awesome

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 3, 2023

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

GateOfD posted:

Godzilla -1 was good.
Like I couldn't tell which parts was practical and which parts was cgi. where in hollywood movies, you know its all cg now.

Watch the latest Corridor Crew video, they show some behind the scenes vfx stuff

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Bip Roberts posted:

I wonder if Godzillas super regeneration ability came from the A test or if it predated it. This is WRT if the 20mm canon would have done anything at all

Probably not, it was a kamikaze plane, he'd be lucky to have AP rounds in there at all.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Bip Roberts posted:

Also (personal opinion) no Gamera movies are very good.

Gamera rules, I'm taking your kaiju card

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 6, 2023

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

It's impressive how the Monster Planet trilogy manages to have both the worst Mechagodzilla and Ghidorah.

Legendary stooges are ok, other than being filmed too close you can't see his fat rear end.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Vinylshadow posted:

At least the anime trilogy gave the MikuMikuDance crowd some new toys to play with

MechaGodzilla vs Godzilla Earth
Ghidorah vs Godzilla Earth

They've also done short films with Gigan and Shin Hedorah

Gigan looks like the mall ninja guy that works at best buy.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Nodoze posted:

Thankfully this one delivered, it loving ruled. Also I will not stand for this Space Godzilla slander

Chakrazilla rules, he goes to a yoga retreat in space and comes back full of pumpkin spice energy

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

FooF posted:

Shikishima's extreme guilt over the casualties on Odo Island can only be explained if he believed the guns would have stopped the monster. That is why he sees himself as such a failure and deserving of being miserable. Now, whether that belief is grounded in reality or not, we'll never know but that was his perception at least. The thing is, at least from my memory of it, Godzilla came out of the sea in the first attack already hostile. Yes, the soldiers made it worse by shooting, but Dino-G seemed malicious from the jump.

That being said, even if he had pulled the trigger, he was as good as dead. The monster would have been injured (potentially) but would have attacked the plane. It would have been a kamikaze attack all over again. Considering the character hadn't grown at all narratively, it's no wonder he couldn't go through with it. He did the right thing for the wrong reason. Yet, the "Death vs. Life" reading does give a good framework as to why his fear ended up saving the country. Maybe blindly throwing away God-given fear in the name of culture and honor is a bad thing?

I saw some idiot going a bit sideways over the Odoians naming Godzilla, took a minute for him to unpack that Odo is part of Japan (in the movie.)

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 12, 2023

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Vintersorg posted:

Someone on r/Godzilla noticed that some of the buildings smashed in Minus One are the same as 54. :o

Yeah he even appears on Odo island first too

Unrelated, i just found this gem The making of Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U73xM3a7WMo

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Asterite34 posted:

Look, the criterion for judging someing a kaiju is simple:

Is it so big that I, a single person, using a remotely conventional man-portable firearm, barring any outside influences, could not kill it?

If not, it's just a big animal. Like an elephant is big, but nobody considers that a real-life kaiju because I could go out and buy a gun that exists in real life that I could shoot it with and it would die (my lovely untrained marksmanship notwithstanding). It doesn't qualify as a "giant monster" if presumably a handful of regular Army guys could line up with rifles and open fire on it and feasibly win.

It counts as a Kaiju if defeating it requires poo poo like tanks or a shitload of dynamite or some superscience electricity gizmo or being killed by another monster.

The shark from JAWS doesn't count, because while you can't really shoot it, that's the water's fault, not that the shark itself is indestructible.

The sharks from The Meg do qualify, they even come from a magical realm

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

mllaneza posted:

That's pretty much what I've been telling people, it's an interesting drama that a giant lizard happens to.

e.

The anime trilogy is boring. If you go in for technical details, it isn't bad per se, but it's boring. That's a bigger fuckup in kaiju media than anything the movies you reference committed. How you pit the survivors of an Earth rendered uninhabitable by kaiju against more kaiju on an alien planet and make it boring is something future scientists will have to find the answer for, because nobody alive today understands how that can possibly be allowed to happen.

The anime is basically someone yelling and hours of sub bass.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
G14 is a good Godzilla movie, it just spends way too much time trying to make anyone care about the people in it.

GKotM was mostly ok except for there being next to no backstory for the terrorists trying to reboot the planet. King Ghidorah ruled though, no pun intended.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

dog nougat posted:

Oh poo poo! I didn't realize they were continuing the Planet of the Apes movies! I was worried they had died off. Just watched the trailer for it and I'm fuckin stoked.

I'm cautiously optimistic, the last 3 are my some of my fav movies of all time.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Desumaytah posted:

US and Russian crews of the ISS being ordered to kill one another while a nuclear war breaks out on Earth.

Probably something else. Didn't care. All conscious brain space dedicated to movie alone.

I'd book tickets to that in a hot second.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Desumaytah posted:

But also Spacegodzilla

You woke up choosing violence today.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve always thought the Heisei Gameras had more impressive suit work and FX than the majority of the Heisei Godzillas, and when you combine that with a) better human plots and b) the bizarre Gamera tradition of being atypically gory for these kinds of movies it’s easy to see why someone would rank all three of them above their Godzilla contemporaries.

Even Gamera the Brave is pretty charming, even though it’s a decade later and way more of a kid’s movie.

The worst Gamera movie is a mid tier godzilla movie. The new Gamera anime series is pretty drat good too.

e: I take that back, i forgot about Super Monster

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 29, 2023

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Yeah i have rose coloured Gamera glasses. He's the protector of children.

Still, Gamera doesn't deserve the shabby treatment Godzilla fans give him

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Phy posted:

"Body Thetans" definitely sounds like something a giant turtle could fight

Gamera is a child psychologist

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

mllaneza posted:

I just finished the Netflix Gamera series.

Holy poo poo.

It was four episodes of really good kid drama spiced up with a kaiju threat that Gamera would murder the gently caress out of at the end. Seriously, Gamera fights mean, Gamera fights dirty, Gamera fights to win. The fight choreography is as good as you've seen for kaiju battles.

Then at the end of episode 4 we get a sharp left turn into some insane conspiracy weirdness and it's great for an episode and a half.

The Defense Forces actually make a difference. The two characters who sat around in tanks for five episodes actually contribute.

They stick the landing. 10/10. One of the biggest gently caress Yous to the bad guy since Return of the King. "Plan B is working, let us now drink our wine. Wait, what's that alarm?"

To pay off the sequel hooks they'd have to go Singularity Point levels of weirdness, and I really hope they do.

Absolute banger of a series, not to be missed.

I've been saying that and no one ever listens, Guiron is actually kind of terrifying to deal with.

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 25, 2024

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

MrMojok posted:

His hair was perfect

that guy murders a piña colada

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Vintersorg posted:

Just so you know I am not loving around:

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/godzilla-x-kong-new-empire-buddy-cop-dynamic-lethal-weapon-exclusive/
Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire’s ‘Buddy-Cop’ Dynamic Is Inspired By Lethal Weapon – Exclusive Image

I'm assuming Kong is Riggs, because Zilla is definitely too old for this poo poo.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Basebf555 posted:

Godzilla vs. Kong has the carrier fight, and then the Hong Kong fight, which are both way more visually interesting than any of the fights in the prior two films.

The carrier fight is the dumbest thing in all 3 movies, bar none.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Big Mac posted:

If ACAB specifically excludes Sid Hatfield, it excludes Godzilla

I mean, Godzilla is a bastard, and he beats up minorities.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

PinkoBastard posted:

I’ve seen the Showa Godzilla films so many times I’ve lost count, so I’m going on a quest to re-watch all of the Heisei and Millenium Godzilla films. I mostly HATED the Millenium films the first time around so very curious to see what I think with the benefit of hindsight. Godzilla ‘85 and Biollante tonight!

'85 or return of godzilla?

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That'd be a fresh new take on Daimajin :eyepop:

Daimajin is a tough watch

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Failson posted:

Started watching Return of Godzilla, since I'd only seen 1985, and even then, it's been a while.

Is Giant Sea Louse a kaiju?

Technically, but i ain't no crypto-entomologist

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Martman posted:

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction but playing as King Kong could be pretty badass. I wanna piledriver a dude off a building, through a portal and into hollow Earth

There should be a mod for VTOLVR that puts your against kaiju

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

We need Legendary Gamera now.

Don't do our boy like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Mantis42 posted:

No I think you're reading it wrong. To the conservative nationalist Japanese the occupation was the most humiliating aspect. This film depicts Japan as defeated but still fundamentally sovereign, it's military still intact and autonomous. There should be American GIs on every corner in 1946. Their absence is weird and it says something.

You know it's not a documentary right? This isn't our version of post war Japan. They made it abundantly clear when they set up why the US wasn't there.