Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SlipUp posted:

I don't think casting ScarJo was racist, it is possible to reinterpret somebody else's story. It's not like the Departed was racist, or conversely it's not like Attack on Titan should have white Europeans even though they clearly are going for a European aesthetic. The cgi asian eyes though, loving lol.

It absolutely is stupid pandering and pretty racist.

The difference is The Departed and similar are total remakes of their source material. Even Attack on Titan hugely deviates from its source material. Like if they made a movie called Ghost in the Shell and it was set is dystopian cyberpunk New York or LA and had an all western cast I couldn't care less. That it's still set in urban Japan but has a bunch of western actors that all happen to be in the same internal affairs squad in Japan is dumb as hell and is the film's producers trying to simultaneously pander to both fans and their own box office prejudices at the same time.

Cast and plot changes in stuff like Titan and The Departed have as much to do with budget and where they're being filmed and what talent they have available too. PARAMOUNT has the marketing clout and the $$$ that they could and should know and be able to do better than getting one big white star in and testing out digital Asian eye effects. They want to throw money at it but at the same time don't think it will succeed without mostly western principle cast, that doesn't inspire confidence. Then again Paramount also gave us The Last Airbender so....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Clipperton posted:

maybe she's playing a white-looking cyborg body with a japanese brain inside

e: actually i bet this is what it is, and the asianification screen test was for a flashback scene when she's playing her original human self. i figured it out everybody

There was a rumor of this, that when she's in cyberspace she looks Japanese and has blue/purple hair/etc. but from what Paramount said it really was just tests for the actors in general.

The idea that the movie won't be set in Japan doesn't hold a lot of water with me given the supporting cast and also that we live in an age where there are two suicide forest movies out/coming out with no Japanese people in them.

Speaking of people making the movie, I'm sure it was asked already but how the gently caress are the Wachowskis not directing this? Their entire resume is a build up to making Ghost in the Shell.

Bound - Busty lesbians making out.
The Matrix - Was literally pitched by showing clips from Ghost in the Shell and saying "We're going to do this but real."
Ninja Assassin - Ridiculous blade/melee action.
Speed Racer - The action involves trippy visuals in an almost alternate reality.
Cloud Atlas - Wow souls are important even in different bodies so deep.
Jupiter Ascending - Somehow easily the best live action anime movie.

So basically every important part of Ghost in the Shell has been mastered by them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Clipperton posted:

If you think that there was ever a plan, at any time, to put slanty eyes on ScarJo for the whole movie then you are crazy.

Totally, there's no way they wouldn't realize it's always much more realistic to accomplish the impossible with practical effects.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's true, even if one were to look at an in-setting justification, it would fail because the character's robo-body is specifically said to be like generic Japanese woman template # 3727 whatever so that she can continue to look Japanese and blend into a crowd if need be.

Which is why I don't get why they don't just do a full US remake of the story like The Departed or The Magnificent Seven or whatever, her and the few other not Japanese people all happening to work in the same internal affairs department in a major Japanese city's police force in a sea of other Japanese characters is pretty stupid.

Oshii was never concerned with that though, the movie is set in Hong Kong because no real reason. Plus didn't Oshii direct Avalon? Why is he even allowed to speak about anything film-related ever since?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This movie's going to be poo poo either way but I don't know why the internet always gets in an uproar about a bunch of raw production test shots every time. Don't these photos literally only exist so someone can look at them for like one second before deciding on a different shade of gray for someone's suit or whatever?

Zas posted:

if this was really Oshii's film then it might actually be good

I'm not as optimistic since Oshii hasn't made a good movie since Ghost in the Shell itself.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Albert Pyun made an awesome cyberpunk movie called Nemesis that I've talked about a lot in other threads. However, he also made some awful sequels to it, the last of which is a horrendously weird and awful Ghost in the Shell wannabe titled Nemesis IV: Cry of Angels that some here might enjoy as a bizarre, ultra low budget live action riff on the Ghost in the Shell movie that has so much gratuitous nudity it makes any other Ghost in the Shell adaptation seem tame. The entire movie is on YouTube.

Some theaters are still doing limited screenings of the 1995 film if anyone here hasn't seen it, that'd be a great way to.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This is totally true. The original manga is great on a technical level for its use of color and some other reasons people have said in the thread already but this is totally true. The 1995 movie is a great adaptation of the most important parts of it. But every Ghost in the Shell manga after that is absolutely loving awful, on multiple levels. The art is really bad (even by the standards of its contemporaneous comics that also used digital elements), the writing is just page after page of "huh I always thought of technology this way, but now I think of it this way, makes you think." The second movie looks great but is bad, all of the Arise animated movies are bad, and Stand Alone Complex is fun but is basically a totally different thing beyond "there are cyborgs and cute tanks," and is more like a cyberpunk anime Miami Vice, which is fine.

Stand Alone Complex is fun but the very first Ghost in the Shell manga and the first movie are the only things in the franchise I'd ever actually recommend to someone else to check out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

It's not a huge departure from the major's own view in the 95 film. She bitterly comments on the fact that they are dependent on government maintenance, and that although they can quit Section 9 it would require not only leaving their cyborg bodies behind, but also erasing their all memories that inform their personality. They are "owned."

"I'M NOT OWNED! I'M NOT OWNED!" *fade to black, credits roll*

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The source material is like two movies. Nobody cares about the comic.

The odd part of all the bellyaching is that there's no real concept of why the '95 film was good in the first place. The tone? Come on. It's a movie where the heroine uses ridiculous futuretech to beat the poo poo out of some poor, brainwashed drug dealer, and then blah blah blah technological singularity.

The original Ghost In The Shell movie has, just recently, been surpassed in every way by such a humble film as Chappie. The remake has to be different, because otherwise it would be painfully obsolete.

:laffo: Dude stick to the Star Wars threads because any time you post outside of them it's obvious those are the only movies you've ever actually seen.

Edit: Beaten loooong ago, how embarrassing. :/

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

Screw this movie, but the official meme generator is awesome and has totally not backfired.

A marketing campaign not attempting a deep dive into the themes of Ghost in the Shell is understandable, but this shows an impressive lack of thought about how the internet works considering it's to promote Ghost in the Shell.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

Looks like I'm not the only one who has good reason to be humble about their reading comprehension.

Also 1995 gits is in Japanese Japan and full of Japanese: http://ghostintheshell.wikia.com/wiki/New_Port_City

You're both half-right, Ghost in the Shell has always intended to be set in a time of transition. While the English subtitles and dub call the 1995's city New Port City, I don't think it's actually given a name in the Japanese version (IIRC it might not even be mentioned in the English subtitles, only in the dub). They explicitly based the entire location off of Hong Kong because Oshii wanted a grounded location that already represents what's going on in the backstory of the film.

You see this happen again in Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, the film is literally just called Innocence in Japan because it's not even meant to be thematically or plot connected to any previous locations/etc. in the comics and prior movie nor was it meant to be a sequel. And unlike in the 1995 film Oshii was much less interested in the location, and you see this reflected in it being in the most generic setting of the franchise at that time, because he was much more interested in travelling around to get inspiration for the character designs and stuff.

Stand Alone Complex and the Arise/whatever prequel movies are all explicitly set in "New Port City" again but they ditch the English name completely and just call it Niihama. There actually is a Niihama city in Japan not too far from where the GitS one is located, but it's actually an old mountanous mining city with a population of probably like 100,000 people. So you could say the location is important because it's an automatic reflection of Japan's rising as a huge super power again in light of the franchise's world events. Though the real life prefecture Niihama is in doesn't exist in Ghost in the Shell, instead they call it Niihama, Niihama.

The upcoming film is the only one set in Tokyo (as of like last fall, I don't know if that's changed because I haven't really been following it since) which seemed like I guess they wanted to film a bit there or something.

THAT said, you're 100% correct that the casting vs. the location of the film is stupid. I wouldn't at all mind at all if Ghost in the Shell got the Departed or Magnificent Seven treatment. It's stupid to take a bunch of iconic moments and shots from the past two movies and slap them together in a different place, in a different combination and while I was never expecting this movie to be fantastic, it's even more cynical than normal to me. Though I shouldn't be surprised since this was the same movie production where it leaked that they were doing "digital yellow face" tests on Scarlett Johansson's eyes.

The live action soon to be released movie is the only Ghost in the Shell product set in Tokyo. That alone tells me not a lot of care is going into the movie compared to the previous two (even though I honestly didn't like Innocence all that much). You'd think having it set in Tokyo would be done so they could do a lot some cool location shooting, but...

IMDB posted:

Showing all 8 filming locations

Wellington, New Zealand
(various locations)

Stone Street Studios, Stone Street, Miramar, Wellington, New Zealand

Hong Kong, China

Shanghai, China

Jackson Street, Petone, Lower Hutt, New Zealand

Avalon Studios, Avalon, Lower Hutt, New Zealand

Victoria Street, Wellington, New Zealand

China

hosed up.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 17, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ufarn posted:

How easy is it to shoot in a place like Tokyo? I don't know jack about modern Japanese live action and Tokusatsu, but I imagine it might be complicated.

Which is not to say that you could have found another Japanese location to shoot in. Just wondering if it's like a Vancouver situation or something else.

I think it's the same as NYC where tons of stuff is filmed throughout 24/7 but most of it is just for five seconds of someone walking down a block or whatever. In Japan there's an arena in, uh Saitama? That tons of stuff is filmed at though. I think like every single sentai/henshin whatever show ever has had climatic battles filmed there a billion times too.

That reminds me, I have a friend, the building she lives was used as a location by Netflix, both Daredevil and Jessica Jones broke into the same apartment in the same building as two unrelated locations. :haw:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 17, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sounds a lot like The Last Samurai but in its final released form that movie is white savior as gently caress and at times totally insufferable. It's frustrating because with some very minor differences, it would be a great movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

"Mira."

...................lmao

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Young Freud posted:

So, the Art of GITS artbook came out and it has some very spoilerific images worthy of discussion and/or anger...

gently caress this gay Earth

Stealing these to show my social media friends.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Get Out 2 "Just think how much more successful an action star you'll be if we remove your Asian brain and place it in a white body."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

HookedOnChthonics posted:

That's... certainly a conclusion you've come to based on a scan of a single page of an artbook, yes.

It does raise the question of what you think a director actually contributes to a movie, though. You're aware they also get to put their names first in the credits, yes? Does that cheat the vfx department too somehow?

Also, artbooks are usually production showcases intended to give a behind-the-scenes view of the creative process of a movie at all levels, not some presentation portfolio of only the most polished camera-ready product. It's just... incredibly fuckin' strange to read into it for slights :psyduck:

Agreed, and I know I was one of the people that's been heavily mocking that note card but there's nothing really wrong with the arc. I just think it's stupid because it's so far away from what Ghost in the Shell has ever been about in any incarnation. If the notes themselves were bad then hell Dark City wouldn't be one of my favorite movies ever. But it's just another bullet point to the question of why they really thought the Ghost in the Shell name would hold weight with so many changes instead of just making a cool cyberpunk action flick with Scarlet Johansson. I mean (prior to this movie being announced) she's way more popular than Ghost in the Shell in the public eye, is a huge star, and Lucy made like $500 million on a $40 million budget. But instead it's like they got the name and the characters but also have inadvertently made a great effort at getting people who would probably dig a Ghost in the Shell movie to not want to see it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

The movie looks amusing and I am excited about live action transhumanism, which has only really been technically feasible in the last few years.

Please please please please watch this film if you haven't yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alkPjVXDWfU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

Her hardware is advanced enough so she can have a sex life, so it's probably equal parts of her wanting to have them, and it being easier for her human psyche to live in a body that's shaped as her subconscious expects it to be.

Consider how there's plenty of people around who have a hard time being happy if their biological body doesn't conform to what their mind wants. You can likely expect the same effect much stronger when your body is a machine.

This is all correct and is the canonical reason for her body. As she aged she was given progressively older ones that, while very advanced and military grade and whatever, are cosmetically all template "generic Japanese woman __ years old #4562" whatever so that she can still live in regular society and have a life outside of busting heads/killing people.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Similarly, to pull from another Shirow work, why isn't she shaped like Briaeros?

Not that Shirow has pulled the "repurposed sex doll" before, first with the Puma sisters then at least twice in GITS.

The Puma sisters are the most gratuitous because IIRC they weren't modified or otherwise augmented in anyway, just a plain old off the shelf sex bot is well versed in all military hardware and battle tactics and is basically indestructible. But that fit the more more 2000 AD-esque absurd setting.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zzulu posted:

we barely have any big female stars who can do action nowadays, let alone asian ones that an american audience knows

How can poor Hollywood, an institution renowned for its inability to groom someone for an action movie and put their name all over the place, ever hope to overcome this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Or "anime adaptations are bad for the box office" (which will probably unfortunately derail the Alita movie and thankfully the Akira remake) and not "Never give Rupert Sanders a chance ever again".

It will be interesting to see if people care as much with Battle Angel, isn't already very far along now or something?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Young Freud posted:

The big rule about any film project is that if they haven't started shooting, then it's still in development hell. They might have cast Battle Angel, but unless Rodriguez has started filming principal photography, then that project still has a chance to go stillborn. poo poo, there's plenty of films that have made that hurdle but it wasn't a guarantee, like Terry Gilliam's aborted "Man From La Mancha" film or the Wachowskis' "100 years in Iraq" movie.

It's being made with the same process as Avatar, they actually finished shooting last month and are doing nothing but CG stuff this year.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, Battle Angel is in the... god it's weird to call it post-production with this kind of film-making. The animation production phase? We're gonna need new terminology.

Animation makes sense to me honestly. I remember some interviews in the earliest days before Avatar entered production and James Cameron was still talking about doing Alita with the tech that would end up making Avatar. He described it and then Avatar as an animated movie with live actors in it. He'd always call them animated films first and foremost.

porfiria posted:

I still don't get how Lucy made so much money. I haven't seen it and I know people here like it ironically or semi ironically, but I pride myself on having extremely unrefined taste and it just looked lame to me. What about it pulled in Joe Sixpack or his East Asian equivalent?

I haven't seen the movie so I can't speak to how "big" it is or whatever, but it looks like the budget for it was $40 million. So I think it crossed the line into just people turning out for Scarlett Johannson in an action flick being enough to make it super profitable.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Nevermind I'm a dumbass.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

I loved the part at the start where it explains what Ghost in the Shell means, as if talking to a grade schooler.

EXPLAIN TO HIM!!!

We're not, I'm not uh really who I say I am you see we're actually just acto-

EXPLAIN AS YOU WOULD...TO A CHILD!!!!

We pretended.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Junior Jr. posted:

But in this movie, the Hanka Corporation just stole some refugees, removed their free will and made them into robots anyway.

Say what you will about fictional corporations turning people into robots, at least one of them wasn't being a total dick about it.

I will never understand sci-fi where this is thing. Like the volunteer waiting list would be multiple life times long for "you're you except your body is a hot and ageless super powered machine and also you have 100% comprehension of all known languages."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Corek posted:

Doesn't Masamune Shirow draw straight-up porn now

He has since the early 90s. IIRC though in the mid 90s a natural disaster destroyed all of his work and that was when he started doing more bizarre porn almost exclusively to continue making a living.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

frank.club posted:

Well, GITS2017 had to have a pg13 rating to sell. Maybe exploding robots is a step to far?

I don't think this is why just because of the vast number of PG-13 movies where humanoid robots get busted up/exploded/cut apart/whatever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

frank.club posted:

Ala Samurai Jack. I guess within this movie the "puppet master" is closer to a person? And they didn't want to risk it with the rating board

It is kind of weird though. I mean even the last two Terminator movies were PG-13 and you had plenty of instances of main character/big actor robots getting graphically destroyed.

frank.club posted:

You might find some surprising things in the first volumes of the Ghost in the Shell manga the original movie is based off of...

I definitely would not because I read every Ghost in the Shell manga unedited as they came out and none of it compares to some of the absolute poo poo he started doing after the last one ended in 96-ish. I mean like literal child porn, monster people, animals, like the guy went all in.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 1, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

The movie would've been better if it was non-stop tachikoma adventures, but then again I say that about every Ghost in the Shell

You've probably played the PS1 Ghost in the Shell game but if not you should play the PS1 Ghost in the Shell game because it's no bullshit you just roll around in a tachikoma and blow the gently caress out of everything and Production IG made about 10 minutes of original GitS 1995 style footage for the game too but with the manga's character designs. It's awesome.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snak posted:

SAC is explicitly Japan and it looks quite different. The only parts of SAC that look similar to the movie are when they go to refugee areas.

And when I say explicitly Japan, I mean that Section 9 is explicitly a section of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Government of Japan. There's no vague "this government" type statements.

edit:

Yes, I'm sure that Hanka Robotics is a reference to the Hanseatic League, and not, you know, Hanka Precision Instruments from the manga.

Midjack posted:

All the GitS media are in Japan though you can make a pretty decent argument that it's really Hong Kong in the first two movies. The primary city is never named by a character in either of the first two movies but is called Niihama or New Port City/Newport City in writing that appears in background and on computer displays. It's blatantly Hong Kong with the serial numbers filed off though they didn't even bother to replace some of the Chinese writing with Japanese characters. SAC and Arise explicitly name it and make it much less distinctively Hong Kong.

It makes more sense knowing the backstory of the comic setting. In every comic/anime continuity all Ghost in the Shell stuff takes place in a fictional version of Niihama which is (in some English localizations this is changed to a generic Port City, or New Port City, etc. in some localized media) an actual city in Japan, but is currently a relatively old mining city (I think it has a population of like 100,000 people). In Ghost in the Shell it's the "big city" because due to the manga's backstory the entire planet's geopolitical structure is completely different from anything today. Like Tokyo effectively doesn't exist anymore, huge parts of the world are radioactive wasteland, the land that is the US in the real world is three totally separate nations in Ghost in the Shell. The earth in the Ghost in the Shell franchise is basically a different planet in terms of where we now associate different countries and super powers to be.

When they were making the 1995 movie Oshii used Hong Kong because they felt it was the closest real city that would reflect that level of cultural and national fracturing that is the basis of GitS. It's in Niihama because it's a place that right now, isn't very important, meaning it would be one of the places probably left relatively untouched after a massive nuclear war/etc. and, since it isn't a super strategically important place today since it is on a coast it could conceivably rise up as an important place again. Niihama itself can kinda sorta be translated as "second seashore" so It's not as insignificant a city choice as we're often lead to believe when the 1995 movie is discussed.

So the 1995 movie is metaphorically set "in" Hong Kong cosmetically because it conveys some of what the movie is meant to be about effectively, but like every Ghost in the Shell thing it takes place in Niihama, a new metropolis that has arisen out of a broken planet.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snak posted:

Yeah, and it's not a terrible reason for everyone who works there to be white. I don't think the nationality of the company if mentioned. It could easily be a European-based international corporation.

Also "Hanka" is common enough in a multiple languages, as a name it's Biblical, Hebrew for Anne or Hannah in English. It also has several meanings in Japanese that one could say are relevant.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Before the argument breaks out again, it is now officially canon that Ghost in the Shell (2017) flopped because of whitewashing and that the film's main character was whitewashed not because of whatever bullshit people have said about Motoko Kusanagi being robot and therefore without race or whatever so it doesn't matter but because they decided they decided having an Asian/Asian American star would keep the movie from reaching a mass audience. Direct from Paramount:

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/04/ghost-in-the-shell-box-office-whitewashing-reviews-1201801224/

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Hey guys, I don't give a poo poo about whitewashing today, I've never seen a Ghost in the Shell movie, have barely watched any anime ever, and have no attachment to the source material whatsoever. Can somebody just tell me if this is a cool sci-fi movie to see for fun tonight?

It sucks rear end and is boring as hell (imo imo imo). It's has a lot of pop philosophy level stuff on par with when Raiden is like "Mortal Kombat isn't about death, it's about.....life."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/why-japan-wont-save-ghost-shell-being-a-box-office-flop-992349

Seems like people are liking the film in Japan and that has resulted in a $3 million opening weekend. Does anyone know if that's like a huge or small number for Japan? IIRC Kill Bill did $3 million in its opening weekend in Japan too and that was considered record setting.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

There's a lot of garbage that does well in Asia, it doesn't "redeem" anything unless you're stupid, and in the case of China in particular, god only knows how much of that gross goes into the hands of Party officials or whether it's even a real number.

I just found it interesting because I saw some sites citing that number acting like that means it's like a surprise breakout mega hit in Japan with others saying it's doing pretty bad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

No if they did a full out US remake of it like The Magnificent Seven or The Departed I wouldn't care as much about who they cast as the Kusanagi equivalent character. But if it's in the US I'd obviously also expect a very diverse cast overall.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wasn't the original guy's concept for I, Robot also that it would function as like an intro the setting of an eventual Neuromancer movie? It really will never get made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Right - that's what K.Waste is mocking . It's not about 'whitewashing' at all, but about unexamined notions of (in this case) ethno-national purity.

This means Japanese characters belong in Japan, and Japanese characters do not belong in America because America is multicultural and therefore Japanese identity is subordinate to American identity. It is even more regressive!

Authentic criticism of whitewashing would involve asking: why can't David Fincher's Seven have an all-Asian cast? Why can't Epic Movie? Authentic criticism would also celebrate the 'progressive' casting in movies that you dislike - like Catwoman or Ballistic: Ecks Versus Sever. This never happens because, again, the complaints are actually based on weird psychosexual hangups and not any sort of egalitarian project.

True, my expecting a diverse cast in a film set in a diverse place is a weird psychosexual hangup.

• Locked thread