Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The US $2 bill was around from the beginning of Federally minted money (so the 1860s) until the mid-1960s. Then it was reintroduced with much fanfare in 1976, but it never caught on as more than a novelty item. Steve Wozniak is a big aficionado of the $2 bill, as was a dude I knew when I was in college and he was in grad school who was super pretentious and wore a pocket watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Geniasis posted:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/1000-Tip-Surprises-College-Bound-Waitress-375981821.html

This STDH either escaped out into the wild, or journalists aren't even pretending to fact check anymore.

The restaurant said it happened, the waitress said it happened. Not clear how much fact-checking you can do beyond that. I would just have not run the story.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I volunteer as tribute .avi.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

oldpainless posted:

I am every husband

Then stop snoring, rear end in a top hat. I'm trying to read forums here.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Kirk/Spock (Kock?) was the original slash pairing according to some sources, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were even older pairings.

Socrates/Alcibiades OTP

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I went and Googled the restaurant, and the food looked really good. gently caress you, Andy!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

The teen didn't want to go to the men's room because he was afraid of the trans dude? Rod Dreher's friend was in opposites world.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Zipperelli. posted:

:lol:

No. Gas from a pump can easily shoot up to 20 feet.

Source: I was a juvenile delinquent.

This is correct. Source: I have arthritis and sometimes am a little slow about releasing my grip. :corsair:

Edit: Fortunately, my car windows were closed, and I was the only one at the pump. Sorry, ecosystem!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

That whole community has a lot of conflicting interests. I remember there was some drama about not letting gay men do drag shows at some parade because it offended some transsexuals? Seems hosed up, since gay dudes were the ones who got the poo poo kicked out of them during the Stonewall Riots and other demonstrations, which more or less led to the gay rights movement.

Two of the leaders of the Stonewall Riots were Sylvia Rivera and Marsha Johnson, though.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Thin Privilege posted:

My (least) favorite one was told by I think actually elise but maybe I'm wrong about who it was that posted it. It went along the lines of, "I had this little old lady patient and was trying to get a catheter into her but I couldn't find the hole, then I noticed that there was an intact hymen. I asked her if she was sexually active and she said "yes when I first had sex with my husband it hurt but I thought it was supposed to hurt." Apparently she had been having sex through her urethra for 40 years and didn't know it." I mean, come on. That's loving literally physically impossible.

It's been discussed in medical journals, so idk. 50 years on, twice the documented cases.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Yale undergrads did take over the university personnel office in 1969, and their suspensions were reversed within weeks, so that one could have happened to somebody's dad. Probably not that troper's dad, though.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Ghostbusters was a funny, entertaining movie, so that poo poo happened at least.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Why would someone make up a story that starred themselves as a snitching dickweed?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

That Muslim wasاينشتين، البرت،

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Someone made a very convincing argument (maybe on the F Plus site?) that that was trolling. I had wanted to believe.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I have had cab drivers and other people I'm interacting with in the course of business ask about why I don't have children and go on to say that it was a shame I didn't have any children. "Do you have children?" is a pretty common conversation starter between strangers over 30, along with "What do you do for work?"

It's a little odd, but hardly a terrible outrage. So I believe 10% of that happened, the part where the driver asked if she had children.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

life is killing me posted:

No you see, Trump flipped the racist sleeper cell switch and all the prejudicial thoughts of Trump voters were activated into full-blown, overt KKK-style racism and racism simply didn't exist until Trump gave it permission!

Either that or Trump's election actually just activated the whiner switch and none of these people are actually getting harassed any more than they were before, just whining about it more now

I don't think people reporting harassment are "whining" but you do you. Anyway, that's for the shit_that_actually_did_happen.txt thread, as opposed to the dumb letter, which is either a hoax by someone who wants to make Trump supporters look bad, or a hoax by someone who doesn't like a lady who wears hijab and wants her to think that evil Trump supporters are out to get her. Probably #1 but I know some teens who would pull #2, so.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Tunicate posted:

The original original rule was not to write anything in the first person.

Which is insanely stupid.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

sinburger posted:

Tldr OP uses the power of fanfic to out a girl shopping for supergirl dvd's.

Supergirl has lesbian fans? Who knew? Next you'll be saying lesbians like Wonder Woman, too!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Butt Detective posted:

You'd think so, but it seems to be a gardening blog ran by a retired old British man. The last post is him saying he hasn't been updating much because he's fallen ill, but that he'll be back to posting pictures of his garden soon.

That post was made in 2009. :smith:

Don't be sad, he's with Arnold Bax and half of the Beatles now. :unsmith:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

we are the Funyuns posted:

Most theaters are quiet. Some theaters are not. Let's just say that Death at a Funeral (2010) in Watts, CA would be much louder than Death at a Funeral (2007) in Bangor, ME.

False. Every movie in Bangor (or any other rural population center) is punctuated by people saying, "Who is that guy? Is he the other guy's boss or what?" and "Why are they doing that again?" in the tones of people who have spent a lot of time using chainsaws.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

InediblePenguin posted:

y'all the joke was that rather than correctly interpret the sentence as describing a small boy with a pink bow, who was smacked by a man, the poster drolly pretended to interpret it as a man wearing a pink bow, who smacked a boy

Sometimes the joke is ignoring the previous joke that fell flat though.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Einstein actually wrote that to a child, though.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Zelder posted:

It's extremely cool that I'm going to live to see the death of journalism and possibly the death of information as we know it

Nah, completely reputable newspapers routinely printed front-page stories about men on Mars and ghosts testifying in court all through the 19th and early 20th centuries.

The fairly factual journalism of the 1950s - early 2000s was the blip and nonsense garbage is actually the norm.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

poisonpill posted:

Dear Internet,

Just stop it with the drat fake letters already

Sincerely
Bob Dylan

Dear poisonpill,

No.

xxoo,

Albert Einstein, Lieutenant Colonel, United States Marine Corps

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

goose willis posted:

Thanks Quinlan, we gotta h weg another dude

The dullest of Old Norse sagas, Chadssaga.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Bargearse posted:

We still pretended we had a functioning democracy then.

I know that feel, mate. :911:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I had to learn to write with my right hand thanks to my insane grandmother. My brother refused.

I do bat and golf left, though.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

okay so where's the new thread title from

There was a selfie of a person who looked like Ben Franklin in full Kardashian-style makeup, and underneath this person had written that they got on a bus and a lady said that.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

life is killing me posted:

A few things:

1) Why did this person conveniently have a change of shirt?
2) Why did this person still serve the customer ice cream?
3) Why does this person think the other customers were applauding him/her rather than the clearly awesome dude who walked in with a bird on his shoulder and let it poop on an employee and STILL got ice cream?

And most importantly:

4) Why are enough people thinking to themselves, "Hmm, it's loving cold as poo poo outside, ice cream sounds good" that there was a line outside in the dead of winter?

Oh, and why, even if this did happen (it didn't), does the writer think it's interesting enough to write more than a sentence or two about it?

God, there are too many "writers" out there who think they are good at creative writing simply because one or two people said so.

The answer to 4) is Boston. Bostonians will go out in the snow to get ice cream. Bostonians will walk for miles in the snow to get ice cream. The ice cream shop in question is almost certainly meant to be the Emack and Bolio's on Newbury Street, which did have a bit of an unsanitary air. Maybe some dude tried to bring a bird in once, too.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I want to shop wherever you folks shop that the cashiers aren't always commenting on your purchases. Half the time, people are either asking me "Is this good? How would I cook this?" and the like, or making hilarious jokes like "Looks like you're having a party! Am I invited?"

Trader Joe's is the worst for this.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

My ancestors had hemochromatosis! Wait, I mean they were superheroes (with hosed livers and retinas).

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I would have drawn a vomiting smiley next to the misspelled names of the lead characters. Informal language never bothered me, but sheer bone-laziness filled me with hate and bile.

That said, looks like a C- paper to me at worst. College students aren't good at writing.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Boing posted:

I can believe that a professor would send that email, but not that they would recognise a student by name that only turned up 3 times over a year

I don't believe anyone teaching an introductory math class in the US is a native speaker of English.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Unfortunately a lot of aquariums encourage this with kids and have multiple "petting" areas where you can pet anything from stingrays to starfish, probably none of which enjoy being poked and grabbed by hundreds of kids every day.

Rays seem to like getting petted. In French Polynesia, they come and rub up against you like cats. It is a little unsettling.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I said that that part is probably true :shrug: the stdh is pretty much everything else.

Crows only very rarely live longer than 8 years, so of course his magical crow friend is defying the odds there too.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Sisal Two-Step posted:

japan and germany. it's like you didn't even read that epic tweet storm

Novelists shouldn't Tweet. It's too easy.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

gschmidl posted:

Well, I mean, it was BoJo.

Like Boris has any right mocking others' hygiene or grooming. Has the man ever heard of a goddamned comb?

Also, re the sequoia, there are sequoias growing in Oregon that were planted as seedlings on the grounds of houses and in public parks.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Wesleyan has never been a women's college. It didn't even start admitting women until the 1970s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

ibntumart posted:

They're referring to the much more famous Wesleyan University. though.

:ninja: edit: Which Google would pop up as the top results unless you deliberately put in "college" for some reason.

I think the stdh was talking about the famous, famously liberal Wesleyan that's in Connecticut, and not Wesleyan College of Macon, Georgia, since he says he's a dude and the latter doesn't admit dudes. Unless that's part of the stdh ouroboros.