Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

also whenever you hear a norwegian talk about this, it's as if they're all living in the 24th century and giving you, a wayward 21st century earth human, a Picard Speech.

like, civilization is slowly disappearing into it's own rear end in a top hat on literally every other square inch of the loving planet, but they think they're a ray of light because instead of executing dozens of innocent people, they failed to execute someone for murdering dozens of innocent people

there's interview after interview with parents of the victims too, and they all talk about how much they don't want the nazi monster that took their child from them to suffer and i find it harder and harder to believe that these are real life human beings and not some story treatment that gene roddenberry came up with after a vicodin binge to show how people in the 24th century have evolved beyond mourning or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

papa_november posted:

also whenever you hear a norwegian talk about this, it's as if they're all living in the 24th century and giving you, a wayward 21st century earth human, a Picard Speech.

like, civilization is slowly disappearing into it's own rear end in a top hat on literally every other square inch of the loving planet, but they think they're a ray of light because instead of executing dozens of innocent people, they failed to execute someone for murdering dozens of innocent people

there's interview after interview with parents of the victims too, and they all talk about how much they don't want the nazi monster that took their child from them to suffer and i find it harder and harder to believe that these are real life human beings and not some story treatment that gene roddenberry came up with after a vicodin binge to show how people in the 24th century have evolved beyond mourning or some poo poo

You were born in the wrong time, amigo you would have loved rome cest la vie

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

whoflungpoop posted:

europeans used to be willing to spend millions of lives in global conflict against mass murderers

also for mass murderers

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

Groke posted:

Yah, prisoners considered especially dangerous can get this extra clause on their sentence which works pretty much like that, with periodic reviews to see if it's reasonable to let them out yet. In this dickhead's case it's going to be "what, is it that time again already? ...well, gently caress that guy for another couple of years, next order of business?"

Yeah, if he lit up a ghetto. no one will gaf in 20 years time and he would walk.
Don't know why he went after the middleman.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

papa_november posted:

also seriously, if this guy was a member of isis or something and not a homegrown perfect true aryan or what the gently caress ever, things would be quite a bit different, wouldn't they? You can't seriously tell me with a straight face that they wouldn't have shipped his rear end out for disposal, or that his handlers back home along with anyone unlucky enough to be standing near them wouldn't have been predator droned at the earliest convenience.

White privilege has a face and it is this dude hanging out in his humble abode complaining to his lawyer about video games.

He literally perpetrated the worst terrorist attack on Scandinavian soil since the WW2, bombed a seat of government—which he would have utterly demolished if not for a miscalculation in where he parked his car bomb—and wrote a 1,500-page manifesto detailing his ideology and conspiracy theories, which are largely indistinguishable from those held by major political parties and prominent voices in the public debate, but the police and intelligence services are still more or less singularly focused on the threat posed by Islamist terrorism and extremism. It's only a matter of time before one of the nuts openly praising Breivik or fantasizing about genocide online commit a similar act, but it's shrugged off like no big deal. Meanwhile, Muslim kids drawing stick figures in a public library or posting a nefarious smiley on Facebook are immediately suspected of or charged with terrorism (no, I'm not joking, this actually happened).

Revenants Return
Mar 28, 2016

by Shine

papa_november posted:

also seriously, if this guy was a member of isis or something and not a homegrown perfect true aryan or what the gently caress ever, things would be quite a bit different, wouldn't they? You can't seriously tell me with a straight face that they wouldn't have shipped his rear end out for disposal, or that his handlers back home along with anyone unlucky enough to be standing near them wouldn't have been predator droned at the earliest convenience.

White privilege has a face and it is this dude hanging out in his humble abode complaining to his lawyer about video games.

Lmao. Dude no. This is norway or whatever. If he had been Muslim they'd like put him on house arrest and make every female member of parliament kiss him on the lips to prove how not racist they are.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The usa has a higher rate of reoffense because 13% of our population is genetically prone to violence and aggression.

Remove them from the statistics and we have a lower reoffender rate than Norway.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the opinions of all the bloodthirsty americans can be safely disregarded itt
your country is poo poo and you're demonstrating why

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

loving norway man acting all high and m8ghty somebody should do something

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

The usa has a higher rate of reoffense because 13% of our population is genetically prone to violence and aggression.

Remove them from the statistics and we have a lower reoffender rate than Norway.

suck my dick

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

not if oyu remove all the browns from the norwegian statistics as well

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

get hosed

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
The only humane punishment I could think of is tossing him into a ball pit at Chuck E Cheese with 77 cheering kids and tying his hands behind his back allowing them unlimited nutpunches.
All day.
Every day.
Forever.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
We should sever the spinal column just below the neck, so he's s quadaplegic the rest of his life.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Lmao at all the people thinking scandinavia don't loving hate brown people, just very much in secret

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Just force breivik play dota 2 and he'll eventually kill himself, problem solved :agesilaus:

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Europeans have such an inferiority complex and it's showing through in this thread. Nobody is praising the American judicial system but posters are still lashing out at it when faced with the reality that someone can ruin 100's of people's lives by killing their children and then bitch and sue his way to a life of comfort.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

JiveHonky posted:

video game

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bishop posted:

Europeans have such an inferiority complex and it's showing through in this thread. Nobody is praising the American judicial system but posters are still lashing out at it when faced with the reality that someone can ruin 100's of people's lives by killing their children and then bitch and sue his way to a life of comfort.

No system is perfect.
gently caress, even utopia Star Trek had people either dying in mines on an ice planet, or living life of luxury in New Zealand.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
pfft Star Trek doesn't even have an answer for, "what if you don't care for exploring space and your only passion is jambalaya?"

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
In Norway-related news Edward Snowden has hired i law firm to sue the Norwegian government. In November he is set to receive some sort free speech price but fears he might be arrested and given to the Yanks. It probably wouldn't happen but the government have been real wishy washy on the whole issue. The hope is that by winning the case he'll get a guarantee that he won't get got.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/edward-snowden-sue-norway-avoid-extradition-u-s-over-spying-n559846

gingrich
May 26, 2007

i'm the osiris of this shit

papa_november posted:

if he was a muslim brown person they would have let him out of prison already

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

tbh the playstation controllers are terrible pieces of poo poo that are known to permanently damage your hands and fingers so I'm forced to agree with this decision

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

paul_soccer10 posted:

the opinions of all the bloodthirsty americans can be safely disregarded itt
your country is poo poo and you're demonstrating why

:newlol:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

kikkelivelho posted:

tbh the playstation controllers are terrible pieces of poo poo that are known to permanently damage your hands and fingers so I'm forced to agree with this decision
As a bonus his hand will be all mangled so he can't sieg heil properly in court anymore.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm a stone's throw from my phd and even I can't afford accommodations that nice.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Like, if I kill a bunch of people in Sweden, it's suggested that I don't have to share my bathroom? Am I getting that right?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
jesus christ you americans have lovely homes

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

happyhippy posted:

We should sever the spinal column just below the neck, so he's s quadaplegic the rest of his life.

And park his rear end, seated upright, in a space barely large enough to contain him in order to maximize prisoner warehouse capacity. I think you're on to something....

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
like do you just live in hovels and trashcans over there or what

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

papa_november posted:

i seriously fail to see any meaningful difference between this guy and everyone we hung at nuremberg

like, there is crime, and there is this. what he did. it's special. it's in a whole other league.

yeah but we can't feel morally superior if we just put his lights out, so we gotta feed him and take care of him until he dies now instead

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Zzulu posted:

for a while i lived in a place where the oven and the toilet were married, or at least they'd been living together the last 45 years

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
is he out yet??

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

Back seat of our cars mostly. There was even a thread on it here.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Melmac posted:

I kind of agree with this.

Also let's say I am a dad and my daughter one day comes home with a black eye (I am never having children so don't worry about this and I am not even a male anyway). Anyway, as a dad I ask her how she got it and she sobs "it was him again".

I would seriously sit there and consider going to her boyfriend's house and blasting double o buck right through his skull if I knew I'd be lounging in my pajamas playing Ridge Racer the rest of my life as punishment. Like, it would be something I could live with. I'd miss out on some stuff sure, but daily I would tell myself I did the right thing as I loaded my save file for Twisted Metal Black.

In the US though? gently caress. That. I sure as poo poo ain't even considering that poo poo here. And I'm in liberal Connecticut.

The fact that Norway's punishments are so laughable that it makes murdering someone something that I could actually sit there and say "yeah, I could deal with the repercussions" shows that their inmate coddling might actually fail at deterring some crimes.

Isn't there some loving middle ground between tent city AZ and a loving PlayStation?

Anytime people argue this point you just have to look at facts and realize americas justice system is harsher and we get more crime, we suck so bad at this that yes, not executing everyone for anything is objectively better.

The Anerican justice system is about as effective as north koreas, in that we sure can build cages and fill them with peeps at the drop of a hat.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bishop posted:

Thats capitalism for you.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

gingrich posted:

if he was a muslim brown person they would have let him out of prison already
...into the waiting arms of a cia rendition team

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

Goons are envious of a man who is locked inside a circa 2003 college dorm room.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

At the very least he should be doing hard labor on a chain gang somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
this is also why these western euro countries are breeding grounds for jihad, because the guys know, hey even if i get caught i'll just get to live like a boss and pray to allah on my expensive prayer rug they'll give me

• Locked thread