Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I completed the "beat in less than one hour" and "don't get hit on the final boss" achievements for the Jetstream Sam DLC on Hard mode simultaneously and it still didn't piss me off as much as the five minutes I spent with Hegel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Probably because the final boss of Sam's DLC is a neat take on an already awesome boss and boss design goes a long way in nulling frustration even where difficulty is badly tuned or not.

"Here, have some bowling balls that shoot laser beams. No, we don't know what a hitbox is."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Is there any known way to alter Emil's spawn location, or is it all random? I really want this kid's premium materials shop to re-open.

e: for anyone curious, the answer was "complain about it on the Internet and then kill yourself repeatedly"

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 31, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

or anything that reloads that area really, so just teleporting to and from camp can work

That didn't work the first 25 times so I just got fed up and started repeating the same tactic that made me lose all the swag I bought from him in the first place. I'm sure it's just confirmation bias.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
He's a cat person.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fangz posted:

I fell for the game at This Cannot Continue.

YOU SHALL BECOME AS GODS

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Whoever was griping about the Pure Water item grind is not going to be happy when they learn about Simple Gadgets.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Araganzar posted:

I came in here to ask a question about perfect dodge but now I am gonna leave because this thread is one giant succession of black bars and I am afraid to touch my mouse.

Androids wear blindfolds to hide the fact that they are all being piloted by other, smaller androids.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Finished it. Excellent ending.

My main complaint at the moment is that I was level 75 by the end so I broke the final bosses over my knee even on Hard. I wasn't even trying to grind! I just like it when my enemies 'splode!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

This hard mode tutorial is pretty brutal, I've died twice to the big fucker you have to fight after the two buzzsaws. I've seen a stream of it so I know that there's something like 2 or 3 phases after that as well. Tempted to just switch down to normal until the first save point.

Switch to normal. Hard is unfeasible until your second playthrough at least.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Klaus Kinski posted:

No? As long as you equip pretty much any defense chip you won't get oneshot.

No, you'll get two-shot, which is still more frustration than most people feel like putting up with.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think the big problem with most of the hacking games is that they take place in such tight quarters that dodging bullets isn't really an option, which goes against what people think you need to do in a bullet hell game. You need to keep making use of cover and circling around the arena except now whoops we've made the walls out of murderstuff.

I never got stymied by any of them but I didn't think they were all that fun, with one very obvious exception.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

yeah there's a difference between "tough love" and "just give up", I feel like I have to do it again just to see the option of those bad messages though since I only skimmed them the first time

They're pretty harsh. Saying you suck and should give up, that you're a loser for investing so much time in a video game, that tomorrow's Monday and you should really be in bed, the list goes on.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

re 9S, yes, I was just surprised that they didn't even "pretend" to give 2B any sort of, well, humanity for that fight. 9S hacking down a bunch of silent 2B clones vs. 9S hacking down a bunch of 2Bs pleading "9S it's me, what are you doing, NO-"? I mean, there's a certain level of heart-tearing I would expect, all things considered :colbert:

That would have been unbearably cliche.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Are there any sites tracking what materials you need to upgrade specific weapons, and where they might be bought or who drops them?

The Fextralife wiki is decent about it, but you honestly won't have to worry much about weapon upgrade materials because they're all sold by lategame shops in bulk. It's the Pod upgrade materials that are excruciatingly rare.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

Is there a way to manipulate his inventory or do I just have to hope he's in the right place at the right speed?

His premium mats shop is unfortunately the rarest one. It only appears on the route near the Resistance Camp.

For some reason I had way more luck making it spawn by dying and reloading, rather than reloading normally or changing warp points, but I have no reason to believe that's not just a coincidence.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

How on earth do you reach that one chest in the Flooded City.

Either fill up on speed and evade distance chips and execute a really good triple longjump, or remote-control one of the flying bots and self-destruct on the rooftop. There's Youtube clips of the former, if you want to know the exact button combination.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nina posted:

Nier is the only series where I can say "I really wish my favourite character would die" and mean it in an entirely benevolent way

I like to think it's not so bad because Emil's optimism is unassailable when he hasn't gone mad from identity death and PTSD, but then I remember that the Japanese script for Automata has him go from dying happy to see his friends again to dying of exhaustion and heartbreak after the battle is over.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

uhhh have you fought the second bonus boss

That's the fight I'm talking about.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
All of Yahtzee's bigger business ventures fell through as far as I know so he's pretty much shackled to his Angry Comedy Videogamesman job. It might explain why he's rarely in the mood to engage much with anything he plays.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rangpur posted:

Where's this tricolor cable I need for the game making robot? I've killed 20+ innocent clowns with nothing to show for it other than the opportunity to type "I've killed 20+ innocent clowns."

I'm pretty sure it's held by one of the taller 'bots in the marked zone. Just explode everything in the red area on your minimap and it'll drop.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Auto-Use Item is probably the worst of the "now you have to actually try to die" chips because the range for the item auto-use is dangerously small and you can just quickly pop a heal with one of the quick menus. A potent Auto-Heal chip is better for the mid-to-late game, even moreso if paired with a decent Anti-Chain Damage chip.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rangpur posted:

Okay, the cable the game dev wanted finally dropped but now I'm supposed to debug his game with no indication how to do so. I've beaten it multiple times, but even if I spotted a glitch at this point I'm not sure what I'd do with it.

Rub your face/ship against the walls.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
That entire sequence did nothing for me, mostly because it was so expected. Enjoyed playing Rock'em Sock'em Robots with Pascal, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blaine the Train posted:

God is there an easy way to get Pure Water? I just want to upgrade my dang pod and I'm two short. :(

Don't worry, the Gadget grind is an order of magnitude worse.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is 9s supposed to = Nietsczhe somehow ?

I read somewhere it's meant to be "nein ist," or "is not," but that doesn't really amount to anything.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dabir posted:

So, uh, how are you [i]supposed[/i ]to get this? I got it using a sequence of cancelled small sword air heavies that a friend told me about but that feels too exploity to be the right way.

Run off the edge, use a few air attacks to keep yourself suspended until you cross under the bridge, then double-jump.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

But even then, the pods realize that they are just giving them the potential to do something new, and the same thing might still happen again and again and again. It adds a small bit of hope of something but also might have done nothing but create a new cycle

That's called "being alive," yes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heath posted:

I don't follow achievements but are you guys talking about paying actual money to say that you did something?

No, there's a postgame shop that lets you spend in-game currency to automatically pop trophies. They're not even that expensive.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I seriously never had any trouble with Speed Star 2 even without totally topping up on Speed and Evasion Distance chips and I don't know why.

It was the third race where I went "yeah this isn't happening" and didn't come back until I got a decent Overclock chip.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Goddamn playing as 9S is misery. He only has like, one combo and he feels so clunky and his attacks either have no range or have so much range they miss everything unless it's a very specific distance away from you. Please tell me I'm missing something

9S is definitely a step down from 2B, but if you augment his hacking with a decent Shock chip he rolls over almost everything in the game even better than she can. Spear and Gauntlet weapons might also serve you better than his short sword, because their combos are more focused and don't swing the weapon all over the place.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

tweet my meat posted:

"don't blame me if this kills ya" isn't quite the same as "hey this is going to instantly end the game and make you slog back through the backtracking sidequest you just did because you didn't have the foresight to plan around the game ending on a joke side mission"

Instant gently caress you deaths have never been entertaining in other games and they certainly haven't changed in this game.

I dunno, this is pretty entertaining.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I went straight for the A ending and ended up missing him on my first playthrough.

Same. I expected him to be more of a character in the actual plot instead of just a merchant with a few sidequests.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Saagonsa posted:

I dunno what people were saying earlier about dying always causing a game over after the intro of route C. I just died in the shmup boss fight section of the tower because i was dumb and didn't get out of the way of a hail of bullets, but it just started me back at the start of the sequence.

Boss fights have checkpoints.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I don't think this is a particularly depressing game.

Same. It's very life-affirming.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this is fairly impressive

https://twitter.com/Haco_85_/status/996403193453072384

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

i am tim! posted:

Yeah, for the most part the lyrics for the music of Nier is gibberish. In interviews about the lyrics, Emi Evans (the singer/lyricist) explained that she was asked to have the songs sung in a futuristic language. She accomplished this by listening to songs in all kinds of languages, then imagined how they would drift or blend. I think Keiichi Okabe has given an idea of what the song might be about, but if he did he didn’t stick with the original plan. IE Grandma was gonna be played during the prologue, not a boss battle.

That said I like to play “what might they be saying?” with the Nier songs. I think the only “word” that might actually pop up in the songs would be at some point during Song of the Ancients it sounds like they’re saying “Shinjuku,” which was ground zero for everything going Drakengard. I could see that being the case.

people had a lot of fun trying to riddle out the chant from The Dark Colossus Destroys All

JESUS. HORUS. JUDAS. EDEN. VASHTI. HAMAN. DEUS. NIER.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

How is he such a neverending cesspit of finding ways to be a despicable blight on the human race, you'd think there were laws of physics preventing this poo poo (cause actual laws sure don't)

he's wealthy and extremely online

like notch, it's two great tastes that taste great together

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i seem to be frothing. am i frothing? *checks* i'm frothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

Is he best friends with Square-Enix's CEO or something.

secondhand accounts would have you believe he's drinking buddies with half the people in the game industry, simultaneously