Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I translated some of the information available about the newly introduced characters, if anyone is interested.

Liver Disaster posted:

Devola and Popola
Keyword: Atonement
Beautiful older model, sister-type androids that can be found at the Resistance Camp. They have memories of models of their same line (the ones that appeared in the original NieR) having gone berserk in the distant past, and for this, they feel a deep sense of responsibility. Though they are androids, they are capable of ingesting alcohol. What role will they play in this installment?

Emil
Keyword: Existence
A popular character from the previous installment, he admired and traveled together with the lead character, NieR. Though he conceals powerful magic, the long passage of the years has caused him to lose most of his memories. Going by the screenshots, he appears to have also lost his body, but…

quote:

The Commander
Keyword: Duty
She is the director of the satellite base that orbits the Earth called the Bunker, in charge of commanding all of the YoRHa forces. Her personality is calm and collected, but 2B and 9S seem to weigh especially heavily on her mind. She has some sort of connection to the YoRHa’s prototype model, A2. While the materials have not yet made it clear, it is highly likely she too is an android.

Operator 60 & Operator 210 (pronounced Six-Oh & Two-One-Oh)
Keyword: Support
Communication operators who provide support to the Yorha units on the surface from the Bunker. They transmit orders and analyze information. Though they are androids, they all have different individual personalities. For example, 60 (assigned to 2B) is comparatively cheerful; 210 (assigned to 9S) is more cool-headed. Each Yorha unit has its own operator.

Pod 042 & Pod 153
Keyword: Attendant & Program
They display communications from the home base and exchange combat data, making them extremely useful for surface-based battle. 042 follows 2B, while 153 followers 9S.

quote:

Adam
Keyword: Hatred
A beautiful and mysterious young man with long silver hair. He wears glasses and is highly intelligent. He has a composed personality, but in order to achieve his purpose, he is capable of merciless acts of cruelty.

Eve
Keyword: Dependence
Adam’s younger twin brother. He is short-tempered and doesn’t think things through, but deeply loves and aids his brother. What is the meaning behind the pattern on his left arm? Adam and Eve are the names of humanity’s originators. In the Bible, Eve is a woman, but this one appears(?) to be a man…

Pascal

Keyword: Love
Despite being a bio-machine, Pascal is a pacifist who despises war. Possessing an interest in both human history and that of the bio-machines, he/she is exceptionally smart. Along with other bio-machines that have minds of their own (most do not), Pascal searches for a path to peace with mankind.

For reference, 2B, 9S and A2's keywords are Belief, Solitude and Vengeance, respectively.

dazat fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

So the English dubbed version of the new trailer just came out and I don't know how many of you are bilingual but uh... I advise against watching both versions unless you want to get hit with an inadvertent but pretty humongo spoiler like I did...

Also Yuya Nagai, the secondary character designer (who designed everyone aside from 2B, 9S and A2 basically) has been tweeting some gorgeous illustrations of the supporting cast:

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I'm really glad they mentioned 9S' AI can be tinkered with to make him more active and that he can actually prove useful in battle; in all the previews and trailers so far he's been so passive, I was worried that even Platinum couldn't fix the useless AI sidekick syndrome that's always plagued the series.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Also re: the death system, what a great way of incorporating the story's themes into the gameplay. Fighting your own corrupted former body??? I love that. Also guess it explains how 2B and 9S survived the ending of the demo...

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I know some people don't take their scoring too seriously, but Automata got a 39/40 score from Famitsu (for reference, original NieR scored 34/40). All around high marks for gameplay, story, graphics and music. Apparently load times can be a little prolonged?

Length-wise, it will take around 10 hours to reach the first ending, 30 hours to reach the final ending, and if you do all the side quests, clocks in at around 50 hours. Also, dying before the completing the very first stage apparently nets you a special bonus ending.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Eopia posted:

Anyone know where to find a translation of the Fire of Prometheus Novella, the one with P-33 Beepy in it? I'm pretty sure it showed up in one of Dark Id's lp threads but I haven't been able to find it, and I felt like re-reading it before the game comes out considering what I remember of its ending.

Yes, I did find that translation on fire sanctuary but it cuts off before the end and I couldn't find anything else, which is why I'm here asking.

I had a translation up on my Tumblr, but took it down when I realized I had accidentally omitted two paragraphs describing the androids of all things. I just re-upped the new, completed version: https://medium.com/@khodazat/nier-novella-the-flame-of-prometheus-bdb8738933cf#.fwfswtiqr

It's written by Yoko himself and ties directly into Automata, so definitely worth a read! Spoilers for NieR if you haven't finished the original yet.

Speaking of translations, I know the Japanese Black Box edition comes with a book containing NieR-related novellas (not included in the English version). From what I've seen, most of them seem to be reprints of the stories from Grimoire NieR, but if there are any new stories I'd be glad to translate them if a kind soul is willing to provide me with scans (I missed the deadline for ordering a Black Box for myself, sob).

There's also an Automata guidebook coming out in late March that will apparently feature Yoko-penned short stories. I'll be looking out for those as well!

dazat fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 19, 2017

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Does anyone mind telling me how much Automata costs? I'm picking out PSN cards from Play-Asia and the online JP PSN store doesn't list the price.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's a little under 8500 yen.

Tomie knows me posted:

It's 8424 yen.

Thank you both!

It'll be just under 430 Hong Kong dollars when the store updates. It's the middle of the night there but the window for store updates opens at 9am there, which is roughly 2am GMT or 5pm PST.

430 HKD is significantly less than 8500 yen.
I would recommend waiting for the Hong Kong store to update first and making a decision then.

Also thank you for this advice! I'm itching to buy it, but this could potentially save me a whole $30.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Sorry if this has been addressed (I skipped over a bunch of posts to avoid potential spoilers) but I downloaded the game, it told me it was complete, I played thru the demo section and have been stuck at the System Check load screen for over an hour. What I want to know is if I stay on this screen will it eventually load? Or should I start the game over? If it's a bug I'd hate to waste time.

I wanted to congratulate Yoko for escaping the kusoge pit but of course there has to be soooomething lol. :argh:

Also I barely kept my poo poo together playing Normal! You Very Hard mofos are something else!

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Alder posted:

It's a bug they were supposed to fix so you'll have to restart. Hmm I'm thinking that a few more weeks of troubleshooting before USA release will help.

Ahhhh thanks for the info. Now I see that I actually have another 45 minutes of download time left! That bites, but I ate it pretty bad before I got used to the controls (never got the chance to play the demo) so I'll use this opportunity to ace it next time.

See you guys after I complete the game! Happy NieRing! Take your time and have fun!

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I just started Route B and... Did they just directly reference Prometheus Beepy?! Sob.

Also I have a question (non-story spoilers re: utterly frivolous game mechanic): I did the self-destruct thing and it blew off 9S' pants and shredded 2B's skirt. Can I... keep going with it? Like, can I get them down to less clothing...? I MUST KNOW.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Also I can't get over how effective the designs of the machines are. The game does a great job of bouncing back between pitiable/cute and :stonk: levels of creepy/disturbing. The copulating robo ritual, barfing robo zombie clowns and murderous robo cult were real highlights for me!

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

So I cleared the game, save for leftover side quests/joke endings.

It improves upon the original in every way except story; NieR still reigns supreme in that department. Not that Automata's story was BAD, no way, but imo it ended up going a little crazy with all the plots and conspiracies... If not for the side quests (including two that HUGELY flesh out 2B/9S' relationship, so much that I can't believe they made them optional) the C/D branch might have left me feeling more flat.

I wonder what they have in store for us re: DLC? Those locked doors with the apologizing robots really bug me!

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Some more collected post-game story thoughts:

The highlight of the game for me is 2B and 9S’ relationship: The revelation of her true nature sheds so much light on her behavior in the first half of the story. Especially, it cleared up the hang-up she has about him losing his memories, which seemed weird to me during my initial play through. Sure, his body can always be restored, but having to witness him lose his memory of her so many times must have felt excruciating… It really puts into context her line during the first ending, “You’ll lose the you that exists at this very moment!” Also her getting emotional about him despite trying to maintain distance, slipping up and calling him Nines… the fact that 9S KNOWS what she is but wants to get close to her anyway, the grave marker scene, the audio recording… there are so many absolutely heart-rending moments between them that watching Ending E made me feel so happy. They’re finally going to see each other again!

Comparatively, I feel the rest of the cast could have used a little more development. A2 especially. The second half of the game, while really striking, was kind of rushed imo. I hope the upcoming guidebook and potential bonus DLC fleshes things out a bit more…

I also have a back story-related question: I may have missed it, but did the game say where the androids, the ones who engineered the YoRHa system in order to boost morale, live? On other space satellites?

Gameplay thoughts:

I hated his play style at first, but by then end 9S became my favorite character to play as. The hacking mini-game grew on me a lot too. That extended bullet hell shooting section at the beginning of the B Route made me foam at the mouth, though. I must have died more during that sequence than any other section of the game.

My advice to everyone who has yet to play the game is please, PLEASE try to do most if not all of the side quests. They’re not just fluff, the large majority of them are extremely plot/character-relevant and you'll miss out on a TON if you skip them!

This is wonderful and seems to be the inspiration behind Ending E as a whole. I'd love it if the Dark Id does get the chance to LP this because, while I hope Yoko Taro goes on to make many more games, it's a great tribute/send-off to NieR and the fans who loved it, warts and all.

dazat fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 4, 2017

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

Major spoilers time: My reading is that there never were any true androids. The Yorha system was engineered by the machines to keep the androids fighting to the best of their ability, so the machines could keep evolving from the fighting.

I thought the game stated (either directly or via documents) that the whole YoRHa program was devised by androids who were at a loss for what to do following the extinction of man. The nature of the YoRHas is kept confidential, with the end goal being to keep up the illusion of humanity being alive and well on the Moon, so that the androids as a whole don't lose hope.

Neither side wants to win, because the androids want to retain a sense of purpose and the machines want to use the androids as stimulus to evolve. Also, the YoRHa unit AI is based off the machines because the creator androids thought using standard android AI for units destined to be destroyed was ‘inhumane’.

I’m just not sure if the androids behind the program still exist and if they do, where are they? Somewhere on Earth, or Space...? Maybe this is another thing the guidebook will clear up...

dazat fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 4, 2017

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

polish sausage posted:

Are you kidding me? The story was better in the fact that it turns out that the game is about us gamers finally banding together and putting a stop to yoko taro's usual bullshit of killing characters that we grow to like and making us feel bad. Now we get to feel GOOD/BAD. Also I missed those crucial sidequests that really flesh out 9S/2b and I still felt a huge stake in the characters but that's just me.

I still really liked it, I just think NieR's execution was better overall. I guess the "EVERYTHING WAS A BIG CONSPIRACY" swerve didn't impress me as much since NieR already did it to better effect. 2B and 9S were really well-developed and Ending E was touching, both for the happy ending and Yoko throwing loyal NieR fans (whose support is basically the whole reason Automata exists) a bone.

arisu posted:

Still feelin' bad about operators 6O and 21O.

Thanks for the flowers. :(

I feel like the Operators are a good example of how plot essential most of the side quests are. 6O crying over flowers and 21O mentioning wanting a family has way more impact if you do their quests first.

Also there's the foreshadowing about E-type units, A2 doing nice things for the robot kids, 9S making a grave marker for 2B and 2B's audio recording for 9S, the latter of which isn't even a side quest and is super easy to miss.

It says there's a minimum possible skeleton crew running the moon server where Humanity's data is stored and a piece of intel shows that not every single crate sent to moon is empty. Perhaps they're the ones doing that? They'd obviously be in the know about the facade and most invested in keeping that secret

I missed that, thanks! Basically wanted to know so I could better imagine Jackass heading up there and kicking their asses, lol.

dazat fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 5, 2017

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Dear thread, don't spoil anything else (bought the game on steam and I'm going in blind!) but spoil this for me:

BEEPY.

Yes/No?

Yes-ish? There's a very, very brief allusion to him but that's it.

dazat fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 6, 2017

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Bonus Boss Spoilers: Does anyone know how to trigger the second Emil fight? I've already beat him outside his room.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Lord Justice posted:

So I've gotten Ending E, and I can't but feel like I came into the game with the wrong expectations. I really wanted it to answer certain questions, and it almost does, but doesn't go all the way. Spoilers for Automata and Drakengard 1 and 3:

All the lore stuff in Yoko's works tends to be addressed/fleshed out more fully in the supplementary material (Grimoire NieR, DoD3 World Guide Book) than in the games themselves, where the characters and their personal stories take precedence. A guide book for Automata is coming out at the end of the month which is supposed to include detailed character/world analysis, as-of-yet unseen setting material and a few short stories penned by scriptwriter Emi Eishima and Yoko himself. That's probably where the info you want is all going to be.

Lord Justice posted:

As well as machines in general, with Beepy wanting to live. Something tells me the behaviour of the machines in Automata is a direct result of Beepy's actions, and that the machine AI is Beepy, albeit completely changed after thousands of years of evolution. It's kind of too bad the machine AI as the Watchers doesn't really work, because then it would effectively mean that the Watchers was the evolved form of a random robot in a junk heap.

I don't think the Machine AI itself is Beepy but, taking The Flame of Prometheus into account, I think the game is pretty clear that Beepy is the machine's God who first granted them consciousness:

The initial picture book you get during Route B directly references (word-for-word in the original Japanese) Beepy's words from The Flame of Prometheus: "Inorganic beings lack a consciousness. Let us grant it, then. Consciousness… pain, joy… sadness, anger… shame, loneliness. The future. Life."

Also, it describes the machine's God as exploding out of a volcano; this is how Beepy's entrance into the outside world is described in the short story: "Immediately after, the top half of the mountain blows off in a grand display. From the center of the opened hole, like the grotesque mouth of a volcano, rises a massive metal sphere 165 feet in diameter."

And finally during Ending D, the Terminals opt to do exactly what Beepy (their God) did, merging into a collective consciousness and taking off into space. Pretty huge influence for a character that never gets referenced directly!

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I just found out about this: during the settings calibration test at the beginning of the game, you can mess with other options to get more dialogue out of 9S. Adjusting the controller vibration produces an interesting response (keep telling 9S you don't feel him tapping you).

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]: While on the topic of the novella, "NieR RepliCant Recollection" (Japanese calls it the "Project Gestalt Recollection" - it seems to be a retelling of the events of Nier from Devola and Popola's perspective.

I ordered World Guide (which features two novella) and pre-ordered the Strategy Guide coming out later this month (which will include another two novella) with the intent of translating them in full. If there are any unique stories in the JP Black Box novel I'd be happy to translate them too, if anyone can provide me with scans!

dasmause posted:

Also you meet at least 4 other scanners over the course of the game

I remember the two from the Confidential Intel and Reconnaissance side quests, were there any more?

Speaking of the Confidential Intel quest, I was confused by why the soundtrack got super foreboding after the Resistance Member introduced his Scanner 'family' member; was wondering if he was being manipulated against his will or something. Now I realize it was because 2B was thinking "They are soooo dead."

dazat fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 10, 2017

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

lets hang out posted:

Well the scanner was also begging for help, or trying to, having been killed and then frankensteined back together and made into some guy's son.

dasmause posted:

As for confidential intel, the way I see it, Resistance member just found a bunch of YoRHa chips and crammed it inside random scanner's head, as a result that scanner can barely think or function, that's why when he speaks he can barely talk. 2B's reaction looked to me as if she's looking at some sort of abomination

Ah, I remember his speech being stilted but it was vague enough (in the JP at least) that I came out of the quest not completely sure what was going down. I still wonder if they actually got done in by machines (like the email stated) or a YoRHa agent, though, esp considering you find out later all S types have E units assigned to take care of them...

Re: 2B butt drama, I don't find it that distracting but yeah, it's also not completely avoidable; if you ever start sprinting or climb up a ladder you're going to get a glimpse of cheek.

dazat fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 10, 2017

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

The real sticking point in the 2B debate for me is where does Yoko get off calling her boobs small? Let's focus here guys, a bodacious behind beats anime gag boobs any day.

I like how A2 is essentially naked and yet so much less distracting to play as.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Alder posted:

About Route C Where did the Logic Virus come from again? Not sure if they explained it in the story or I was just too tired to recall. I just rmb everyone connected to the network were infected except for 2A.

Also what's up with the factory priests and believers all jumping into the lava? Did they stop finding meaning in life w/o their King?

What was the point of the machine's most precious thing? If Adam didn't want to die clearly he shouldn't have attacked 2B. Also why where the machines still RP as brothers even after I killed Adam and Eve?

There's so many parts I just don't understand :v:

There was a logic virus built into the Bunker by the creator androids in order to facilitate the destruction of YoRHa; I'm less clear about how it works with the machines, but 9S and A2 didn't get hit with it b/c the former put off the update that would have installed it in him and A2 was living off the grid.

All the different factions of robots we see are all basically trying out different ways of attaining meaning in life, and just like humans sometimes do, those particular robots ended up in a creepy death cult (I thought it was interesting that not all of the members were aware of/on board with the murder/suicide aspect, also just like in some IRL cults). I don't think they were related to the forest robots and their King.

Adam removed himself from the network to experience death but I guess his previous consciousness (as well as Eve's) still existed in the wider machine network which is why they're present on the ark. Re: the other brother robots, we see lots of robots who develop sibling bonds, that's not unique to Adam and Eve.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

People are freaking out and dogpiling this guy on Twitter because he brought Automata's metacritic score down from 90 is 89 with his (admittedly stupid) review. I miss the days we just had dudes ragequitting over the fishing mini-game. It was a more innocent time...

Edit: Not NieR, but dozens and dozens of Japanese people leaving 1-star reviews on Amazon for Drakengard 3 after getting Ending A was pretty funny too. It's not a Yoko game without some review shenanigans!

dazat fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 12, 2017

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Got it, thanks for that. Route C question though.

Is there a order I should support first? I don't want to go to like, 9S and then have to delete my game or something and miss out on A2.

You don't miss out on anything, it's just of matter of who's quest you want to see/play first. You'll get the chance to select the other character later in the playthrough.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Route C A2 side Pascal :smith: Can I just... leave and not kill him or anything?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm not sure if it's unusual or not, but for the big...uh...choice following that section, I took the third option blind to the outcome. So I'll see what that does.

Which means (BIG SPOILERS) I did not erase Pascal's memories, nor kill him. I left him to live with it. Human beings do not have the luxury of choosing to forget bad memories. His death won't bring anyone back.

Man, you guys are cold as ice.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Without memories, you cannot grow.

There are no good options but not erasing his memories/mercy killing him is easily the cruelest choice you can make. Yeah, let that nice robot who never did anything wrong suffer overwhelming agony and despair because even though he'll never get his village or his children back he might grow as a person...? Maybe?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What happened was tragic and hilariously hosed up beyond belief but I kinda thought A2 was starting to lighten up and in my mind Pascal still has his android buddies to help him recover. That's why I didn't want to kill him, he still has friends.

His friends only survive in Ending E and that's assuming he doesn't just commit suicide on his own before then; someone told me he doesn't show up in Ending D if you abandoned him, same as if you had killed him.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I got my copy of the World Guide today, I don't know how different it is from the Black Box art book but it's loaded with beautiful art, enemy/location rundowns etc, plus the two bonus short stories I'll translate sometime soon.

In the meantime, I thought you all might be interested in the official heights and weights of the Automata cast:
2B = 5'6 (including heels) 328lb
9S = 5'2 286lb
6O/21O = 5'5 (including heels) 319lb
Commander = 5'8 (including headdress) 368lb
Pods = 2'5 79lb
Anemone = 5'8 354lb
Devola = 5'8 350lb
Popola = 5'8 357lb
Pascal = 8'2 793lb
A2 = 5'6 (including heels) 306lb
Emil = Varies
Adam/Eve = 6'2 502lb

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Someone has translated a section of what I'm assuming is the JP Black Box edition art book (someone, anyone, please get me scans, I'll translate the heck out of them!!!) which reveals Jackass and the Commander knew each other and were good friends, the Commander being the person named White Jackass mourns after the Bunker blows up: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232020867&postcount=657

I think this means the Commander is a regular android, not a YoRHa model? Which I guess makes sense.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

All endings spoilers

There's no small implication that the people who created YoRHa are the machine lifeforms and the games intel files outright confirm that there is never a point in time where Androids were in danger of losing the war as the machines were only interested in pushing the Androids as far as they needed to actively fulfil the orders of the Aliens while also advancing themselves. If they were to definitively win the war, they would be violating the order of fighting their enemies. The fact that this is the 14th Machine War also kind of suggests that this is a loop where the Machines make a YoRHa which them implodes and is used to make the next cycle of the Machine War's combatant's more advanced. This cycle may be broken by the combination of ending D,E and Emil's Fists, where the Machine leaders leave earth on their ark, Pod's rebuild the three remaining YoRHa (I think this is a bit of an oversight on Taro's part, there are NPC YoRHa during C/D who live and seem out of danger but details) and openly suggest it might just play out again. Emil's Fists also suggest the Machine Network comes back so maybe they didn't break it so maybe it's just all as it was intended and everything in the game is futile.

Don't the game files state that other androids created YoRHa? The Terminal Girls do eventually infiltrate their systems (during the current YoRHa cycle/beginning of the game, according to one of the World Guide short stories) but my understanding is that the initial project was conceived by android leadership who were concerned about their fellow androids losing all purpose/will to live. Hence the myth of humanity's survival and the creation of YoRHa black boxes utilizing code from machine cores (since to use standard android AI on disposable units would be considered 'inhumane'). I think it's just a coincidence that the android and machine goals ended up aligning the way they did.

It makes the YoRHa units double freaks of nature since they're not fully androids OR machines, something I thought informed 9S' existential crisis during Route C/D.

dazat fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 16, 2017

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Mindblast posted:

It's a pity that they have no meaningful dlc planned even though Nier 1 and Drakengard 3 did get it. I guess that is the true meaning behind the (exploration spoiler, I guess?)the apologising machines. Although I would've just hoped they'd cover them up entirely but them's the breaks during development. Some things probably got axed a stage that made it easier for them to animate an existing model rather than give the landscape a relatively small edit.

On one hand according to Yoko there's no budget for DLC. On the other hand when he was asked about the apologizing robots and the locked elevators at PAX he said Square-Enix asked him not to talk about them but that they were full of poop. Poop in Yoko speak = good content so it's still up in the air.

Bad news, the Strategy Guide got delayed by a month so we'll have to wait until the end of April for all that meaty lore. :( On the plus side it gives me the opportunity to catch up on short story translations...

Also Yoko's wife Yukiko drew this cute picture for us:

dazat fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 17, 2017

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Nuebot posted:

A few pages back but it reminded me of a question I have if anyone's played the JP version of the game. The Iron Pipe. The story is clearly a reference to Nier, specifically the father version. In Japan did they go with the brother version, or did they reference the father in that one too because it's the superior version?

The Japanese version of the Iron Pipe's weapon story refers to Brother Nier specifically.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I barely play video games anymore save for a select few titles (I basically bought a PS4 just for Automata) so all the grief about autosaving confuses me. The intro is pretty short and easy to breeze through... I was playing on normal, though.

Also I'm trying to catch all the fish, I'm up to 87% with only 5 left to catch (Arapaima, Beetle Fish, Swordfish Machine, Coelacanth Machine and Arowana Machine) and it's a total slog. Does anyone have any useful tips for nabbing them or do I just have to suck it up and grind?

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

9S personally strikes me as looking/acting around 14-15, that magical age where you're still cute and naive but also angsty/snotty/hormonal. Depending on how you interpret his relationship with 2B I think they were going for a younger-boy-with-a-crush-on-an-older-woman dynamic but YoRHa androids only have an average lifespan of around 5 years anyway so there's not a real age gap.

Also this is a Taro Yoko game. Remember the nympho Intoners in Drakengard 3? That creepy Kaine short story from Grimoire NieR? Literally ALL of Drakengard? He's a kinky guy.

dazat fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 19, 2017

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

He's the same height as the other androids, sans-heels. But he is designed to look young, especially in contrast to the mature designs of the other units. It echoes in the thematic content of the story pretty well. Having him be a typical grizzled male protagonist would alter the tone of the narrative's back end quite a lot.

fwiw the World Guide lists 2B's height as 5'6 (including heels) to 9S' 5'2, although the height difference seems less dramatic in-game (she's also 328 pounds to his dainty 286).

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Zinkraptor posted:

So, I have an odd question for those of you with any knowledge of Japanese. (Route B spoilers) So, when 9S is trapped in his own mind or whatever and Adam is messing with him, Adam says something along the lines of "You're thinking about how much you want to **** 2b , aren't you?". I assumed the point of that statement was that **** could stand for both "gently caress" or "kill", since they're both four letter words and fit into the weird sex-and-violence themes that the game has going, like with the strangling scene. But the game is Japanese, which makes me wonder - what was that line in the original Japanese text? Having **** stand for either word only works in English. Do they do something similar, or did it perhaps turn out that they were explicitly referring to one word, not both?

The original line is: お前は2Bを……△※したいと、思ってるんだろう?(Omae wa 2B wo... △※ shitai to, omotterundarou?) My immediate read was that it was sexual since text is usually only censored that way in Japanese when it's something really explicit. fwiw I've only seen the gently caress/kill debate crop up on English boards, Japanese consensus (and fan art lol) leans toward the former interpretation. I think the point of the line being censored is so you can read it both ways, though.

lets hang out posted:

please factor in the fact that without heels 2B is practically the same height as 9S

Looking at A2 makes me suspect the heels on female androids are actually built into their feet. She's not wearing any shoes...

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

OddObserver posted:

There is a pair of boots in her room...?

Edit: oh, you said A2, not 2B. With A2 it's not clear how much of what she has is actually clothing altogether.

I remember reading she's supposed to be totally nude aside from the little apron thing tied around her torso. Her toes are exposed, but she still has heels, which I thought was interesting.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I think it might be a consistent thing with 8-4 at this point. They seem to take cool, detached and levelheaded as "hard". 2B in the Japanese dub has her hard moments but most of the time when she's not trying to be detached from a situation, she's actually pretty panicked about something. I don't think 2B's a hardass at all because nothing about her tone or temper in Japanese shows her that way.

Isn't a thing with the localisation of Zero where they took her from someone who's basically fed up with all of the poo poo and just wants it done with and turned her into the pissed off, angry at everything Zero in English?

I've been replaying the game in English and the way both 2B and 9S have been written has been getting on my nerves. With 2B, they make her sound irritable where in the original script she was much more deadpan, and they do kind of gloss over some of her more subtle shows of emotion (I also don't like that they make her curse, that's an A2 thing). In 9S' case, I feel like they turned the dial way up on his quipiness to the point that his sweeter/more sincere aspects get clouded. This is all within the first route, so maybe it gets better later on; the rest of the characters are fine.

And yeah they did do something similar with Zero, where they overemphasized her raging when she was really more low-key/blase in the original Japanese. I think they maybe just have a tendency toward character exaggeration in general?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Thanks for this post, it's good to see these kind of impressions from someone who speaks both languages, and not just because they trend towards supporting what I thought.

It does hit on the issues I personally have with many localisations, though. I'm not going to argue for literal translations because they're utterly awful and of the things I've played of 8-4's that I know is their work, I've enjoyed all of it but I don't like characterisation changes because they're not something more nuanced that are simply impossible to translate, like some things in language are. It's just a shame when characters are changed because it changes the entire work and I'd like it if they can maintain it as close to its original as possible. Though like I said, not to a point where the language and translation make zero sense because it's overly literal.

I work as a translator so I understand it can be tricky to balance being faithful to the original text while also making dialogue sound natural and engaging in English. And to be fair, the changes aren't completely derailing... there's just too much of a tendency to make the characters sound extra snappy and sarcastic? It reminds me of the whole "American Kirby" phenomena. It bothers me the most with 9S, because he's kind of a divisive character even in Japanese... so making him more snot-nosed feels like they're tipping the scales too much.